Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 AM

I randomly stumbled upon her website earlier today, and I just fell in love with her music. It's best described as traditional Celtic, but it doesn't always follow the 'right' instrumentation. The music is so incredibly relaxing and uplifting that I've had three or four of her songs on repeat for an hour now. They've put me in a fantastic mood.

Has anyone ever bought a CD of her's, or even heard of her? I'd love to hear more of her work.

This is the website I stumbled upon:
http://hardingfiddler.com/eng/index.htm

And this is a direct link to a sample of her music, in case you're curious:
http://hardingfiddler.com/eng/st_410GreyB10.html

Reverie
I ♥ you!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 AM

Gorgeous music! I haven't heard of her before this, but I've sampled a couple so far, and I love the instrumentals. 'Thisledew' almost seems like a love song to me... really beautiful. (Though I wish the song title wasn't misspelled. XD)

Some of it seems a little like a Celtic/folk mix, which is really cool to me.

I'd love to hear more of her stuff as well! I can also think of a couple friends who would adore the music.

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 AM

She's Norwegian, right?

I can tell by the url (I can't listen to it yet, I'm at school) "Hardingfiddle" is a Norwegian instrument. It's a fiddle with six strings instead of the usual four... You can make some really neat sounds with it ^^

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-10-2007, 08:03 PM

^ I assume that she's Norwegian, yes. One of the things she talks about in her short bio is wanting to develop a new form of Norwegian folk music, and combine it with other traditional Nordic themes. It never actually says where she's living, though.

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 PM

I thought so ^^

I really like the music!! *is not at school*
I love how it sounds like there are two fiddles, when in reality there isn't ^^

Would you like me to translate the song names for you, or have you done that online already? :wink:

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 PM

^ I would love if you could do that for me. I've used Babblefish on the titles, but I know that it just isn't the same. The English that came out of it is very awkward and strange.

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 AM

Villdans = Wild Dance
Bryllup pĂĄ Haugseter = Wedding at Haugseter (Haugseter is a place, this one is quite typical Norwegian wedding "march" thing... Old style.)
Savn = Longing, or the feeling of longing
Thisledew = an obvious non-Norwegian word XD
Varganatt = Wolf's Night ("varg" is an old word for wolf, now we use "ulv")
Myrull = the plant Eriophorum. Grows in the mountains, wet areas. Looks very cotton-y ^^
Picture of Plant 1
Picture of Plant 2

Hope it's better than Babelfish ^^