The Silvershade Lynx
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-29-2007, 12:52 AM

Well, I'm a huge metal head as some of you may also be. What are your favorite metal genres and/or bands?

My favorite genres are Doom (all kinds, funeral, drone, traditional, stoner, etc.), Folk, Black, and Power.

Some of my favorite bands at the moment, though it changes weekly, are The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Reverend Bizarre, Electric Wizard, Asmegin, and Agalloch.

Plastic Orgasm
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-29-2007, 03:38 AM

I'm a metal head too.

Genres I listen to are: Metal, Metalcore, Death Metal, Deathcore, Black Metal, Doom Metal, Viking Metal, Nu-Metal, Alt-Metal and a lot more.

Some favorite bands are: Bullet for me Valentine, A7X, Dimmu Borgir, Disturbed, Kalmah, Wintersun and more.

Sentaku
n/a
Send a message via MSN to Sentaku

Old 04-29-2007, 10:55 AM

Anyone know what type of metal Manowar would be classified under? To me it kinda sounds like viking or something.

I like Power, speed and death metal mainly. Anything that has an epic/harcore sound to it 8)

Sentaku
n/a

Old 04-29-2007, 10:56 AM

Oh ya, my top favorite bands are

Megadeth
DragonForce
Manowar
Helloween
In Flames

Toxicity
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-29-2007, 01:10 PM

heres my fave bands

AFI, Audioslave, Automatic, Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Bullet For My Valentine, Children Of Bodom, Disturbed, Dragonforce, Drowning Pool, Fall Out Boy, Finger Eleven, Foo Fighters, Fozzy, Franz Ferdinand, Fratellis, Godsmack, Green Day, HIM, Hatebreed, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Kaiser Chiefs, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Lordi, Lostprophets, Marilyn Manson, Megadeth, Metallica, Misfits, Motorhead, Nirvana, Nonpoint, Offspring, Outbreak, POD, Queen, Queens Of The Stone Age, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rob Zombie, Saliva, Slayer, Slipknot, Static X, Sum 41, System Of A Down, Tenacious D, Thin Lizzy, Three Days Grace, Trivium, U2, Zutons.

The Silvershade Lynx
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaku
Anyone know what type of metal Manowar would be classified under? To me it kinda sounds like viking or something.

I like Power, speed and death metal mainly. Anything that has an epic/harcore sound to it 8)
Manowar's power. Viking sounds more like black metal than anything else.

DeniedUltraSex
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to DeniedUltraSex

Old 04-29-2007, 09:29 PM

>> I'm more into rock...
or would you call it alternative?

But some of those bands are good. <3

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 04-29-2007, 09:39 PM

Metal has too many sub-classes and I don't understand it enough. xD I try, man, I try.

I guess I'm more of a traditionalist, with the old school heavy metal. Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc. Mix in a little Metallica, some hard rock... yeah. Some pop metal like Motely Crue and Poison.. but I'm really picky about my Hair or Glam metal.

I don't much like doom, black, death... anything where the singer sounds like they're just going "RAAAWWRRR" into the mic the entire time.

I can think I can safely say that AX7 is getting up there. Coheed and Cambria as well. There are very few "new" bands that I'm really into. Silvertide and Buck Cherry are older just coming back and finally getting popular enough... but neither are really "metal"... they're more hard rock, really.

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 PM

Gothic, some death and doom, symphonic, viking, folk, glam and hair. Yep. I don't know too many bands though and I don't listen too much to metal although I have to get my 'dose' every once in a while.

Isis, My Dying Bride, Týr, Dimmu Borgir, Arch Enemy, Kittie, Opeth, Ulver, Within Temptation and Carved in stone are a few I can remember off the top of my head.

Can anyone recommend me any good folk metal by the way? I'd love to get to know more. And just anything that sounds something like the bands I already mentioned? :]

Sentaku
n/a

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 PM

Metal's peak was at a high in the 70's 80's and early 90's in my personal opinion 8)

Sentaku
n/a

Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettolover
I don't much like doom, black, death... anything where the singer sounds like they're just going "RAAAWWRRR" into the mic the entire time.

Agreed :o

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 05-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Early 90s was more grunge, though, with a side of punk. Nirvana, Pearl Jam. Jet, Green Day, Weezer. Bye bye pretty boys, hello flannel shirts.

GodModule
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to GodModule

Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Im very picky in the metal genre when it comes too bands I like
at the moment i love folk/viking metal also symphonic~

some bands: Insomnium, ensiferum, korpiklaani, finntroll, amon amarth, eluveitie, folkearth, battlelore~

falling sanity
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-04-2007, 07:46 PM

It's too hard to place all the music in to a sub catagory. So I'm just going to say Metal, and leave it at that. There's a little from every genres that I like.

As I Lay Dying, Hatebreed, Darkest Hour, All That Remains, If Hope Dies, Comeback Kids, Endwell, Evergreen Terrace, Poisnon The Well, It Dies Today, Otep, Atreyu, and Haste The Day... just to name a few bands.

AkashaHeartilly
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to AkashaHeartilly Send a message via Yahoo to AkashaHeartilly

Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 PM

I'm far more into the industrial and goth side. Though those sprang from punk, which came before metal, well they evolved around the same type, by some of the same influence, just merged later, but evolved sperately from each other.

But my favorite bands are: Andriod Lust, Apoctogame Berzeka, Bauhaus, Blam Honey, Beborn Beton, The Cruxshadows, Depeche Mode, Die Form, Das Ich, The Epoxies, Eve 6, Fear Cult, Garbage, Gotham Road, KMFDM, London After Midnight, Lords of Acid, Malice Mizer, Miranda Sex Garden, Misfits, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Nick Cave, Nine Inch Nails, Oingo Boingo, The Piass, Placebo, Rammnstein, Rasputina, Skinny Puppy, The Slits, The Smiths, Tears for Fears, Velvet Acid Christ, Wumpscut, X

they_call_me_kitten
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to they_call_me_kitten Send a message via MSN to they_call_me_kitten

Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Metal isn't real music.

falling sanity
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by they_call_me_kitten
Metal isn't real music.
Whatever you say, troll.

they_call_me_kitten
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to they_call_me_kitten Send a message via MSN to they_call_me_kitten

Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falling sanity
Quote:
Metal isn't real music.
Whatever you say, troll.
Troll?

Why am I a troll?

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 05-05-2007, 03:31 AM

I can never understand when people say that about some genre of music they might not like.
In what way isn't it music? Have you listened to a lot of metal? Or at least enough of it to be able to come off with statements like that? :|

they_call_me_kitten
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn
I can never understand when people say that about some genre of music they might not like.
In what way isn't it music? Have you listened to a lot of metal? Or at least enough of it to be able to come off with statements like that? :|
I wasn't saying it in all seriousness, but from what I've heard from the genre, I like none of it. I have friends that listen to a lot of metal and I can't stand it... I don't like the music itself, or the "singing". To me it's just noise.

falling sanity
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-05-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't saying it in all seriousness, but from what I've heard from the genre, I like none of it. I have friends that listen to a lot of metal and I can't stand it... I don't like the music itself, or the "singing". To me it's just noise.
Well... isn't that pretty much all music? Just a bunch of noise?

they_call_me_kitten
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-05-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not to me...

To me metal has no rhythm or heart. Other music does. Other music flows to me, whereas metal just sounds like a bunch of clashing sounds. So yeah...

AkashaHeartilly
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to AkashaHeartilly Send a message via Yahoo to AkashaHeartilly

Old 05-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not to me...

To me metal has no rhythm or heart. Other music does. Other music flows to me, whereas metal just sounds like a bunch of clashing sounds. So yeah...
Actually, comparitively to most other genres, Metal Musicans actually tend to be classically trained and have a very good understanding of rhythm, notes and all that good stuff. In fact, I know people who make claissical and metal music, and both agree, the way both are composed, made, created and played are the same.

So over all, metal has more musical talent than most other genres.

it's just you do not like the genre and there for consider it not music.

GodModule
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to GodModule

Old 05-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Metal does have rythm and heart, its just that you cant hear it because its not your taste and thats understandable. They call everything you see on tv also music, even if its about nonsense and has no depth at all! While most metal music does have depth of course there r some that write bout crappy stuff too but thats to be found in every music genre..maybe you havent been introduced with the right bands..
I got trouble with some flows of metal as well but ive found the bands that fit me and they r great =]

falling sanity
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not to me...

Technically... all music IS noise. Some just more pleasing to to the ear then others. Besides, if you don't like metal, why bother coming into a thread that clearly states it's topic in the title?
Oh and that also answers why I called you a troll earlier.

Anywho... this is starting to get into some kind of pissing contest. I'm just going to drop this topic now. If you decide to carry on, go ahead. I won't be responding anymore.