hanahaki disease
wistful

Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 PM

Finn nearly jumped out of his skin when Josiah's mother's voice sounded. All this time it had felt like he and Josiah were in a world of their own, even at the party, even when there were other people around. It was almost as if her voice had come from the void.

The look in Josiah's eyes, his sudden drawing into himself, made Finn's heart clench. Nodding briefly, he climbed out of the window, landing like a cat. He crouched under the ledge to wait.

It was well and truly morning. A neighbour was pottering about their flower beds. Curtains had been pulled back. The other face of the world had turned beneath his feet, leaving the one in darkness behind him. It all felt slightly unreal.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-21-2017, 05:36 PM

As the bedroom door opened, Josiah forced a smile onto his face. He already wore the face of cool and popular Josiah, the one that he'd been known as all through school. "Oh, you're awake?" his mother asked, pausing for a second in the doorway as if surprised. It only lasted a second though before she swept inside, tutting at some of the mess on his desk and floor, starting to tidy things before he could even respond.

Arms tucked tightly at his chest, Josiah eyed her with a look of distaste and resignation. "Didn't I tell you to knock first? Mom, I don't really want to talk now..." He knew well enough that he couldn't stop his mother from meddling even if it made his palms sweaty. The knowledge that Finn hid just beneath his window didn't help either, assuming the other boy hadn't just run off after seeing what a privileged and cheerful home he was from. Because really, no matter how you looked at his mother with her coppery hair piled in gentle waves on top of her head and wearing a floral robe in cheery oranges and lime, this was the picture of perfect. In her ears, she wore tiny diamond encrusted crosses. They captured his attention for a second before he tore his gaze away.

His mother just tsked slightly and turned away from his desk to look at Josiah. "But honey, I feel like I never see you anymore. I can't believe you'll be going away to college in the spring! Won't you tell me where you applied so we can move nearby? You're my precious baby! I can't stand the thought of being that far from you for four years!" she cried. Wiping at her eyes despite no tears actually falling yet, the woman pouted at her son. She took a step forward like she might hug Josiah, but he backed out of her reach first.

And yet that's all I wanted. Four years away from this! Grinding his teeth together, he bit back the words even as his mother brought up the latest sore point between them. Of course, he was the only one that saw it as a sore point. They really just didn't understand and they never would. Josiah never intended to tell them his secret so instead, he'd run away from his family the only way he could now. They proved that even growing up and leaving would never rid him of these picture perfect people that made his life a living hell without even knowing it.

Anger flashed in Josiah's eyes. "I told you, I don't want to talk right now," he hissed. Looking taken aback, his mother finally shut her mouth. "Just let me get my things and leave in peace, okay? I want to be alone." He spun away, snatching up things from his desk without even paying attention to them, just to get his mother away.

"You're...you're leaving now? So early in the morning?" Josiah didn't turn to face her. "Where are you going, Josiah honey?"

Letting a minute of silence fall, Josiah finally answered with a sigh. "Away." With that, he pushed past her and stalked out of the house, ignoring his mother's curious words behind him and a brief call from the kitchen for coffee--his father. A half second later, he was out the front door where he broke into a run for the window, wanting more than anything to just grab Finn's arm and run. To where didn't matter. He just needed to run.