YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Silas continued to try to rub the sleep away from his eyes. Another moment passed before he gave up. When he opened his eyes he noticed that Anders had stood up from his chair with his cup of tea. He bee-lined for the the lounge sink and turned the water on.

"You're leaving already?" Silas asked.

"It's getting late."

Silas frowned. "The sun's still up."

Anders shot a sharp look over his shoulder at Silas. He put his cup under the stream and diluted the last bit of tea as he washed it. "You carry out assignments while your shadow is less than twice your height. I carry out assignments as long as my shadow exists."

Silas blinked with surprise. Before he could come up with a response, his comrade was on the way out.

Anders stopped abruptly in the doorway. "Goodnight," he managed, and then left.

Silas sighed once he figured he was out of earshot of his superior. "So busy," he murmured. As the evening light from the window reminded him to relax, he felt his mind unwind from the day. And then it drifted toward the thought of his former friend, and then his smile flattened.

"Do you ever get something stuck on your mind?" he asked toward Arael.

Nova_Alchemist
^~^
Send a message via MSN to Nova_Alchemist Send a message via Yahoo to Nova_Alchemist

Old 03-24-2019, 02:05 AM

"Lea?" Jason murmured, surprised to see his partner. Lea focused on fending off the offensive angel. "Can you fly?" She asked, noticing his light nod.

"You aren't getting away that easy." The angel snapped, fully attacking Lea, only for his blade to cross with hers. "My mission is to exterminate you two." He stated.

Lea's eyes widen. 'An angel..hunter? When did they start that?!' She thought to herself. Jason wasn't ready to fight, he could barely handle anything other than assisting his partner! "Go to the Tree House, and wake up Marzi! Now!" She voiced in her struggle with Ghost. She could fight better if he was safe, if it was just herself she had to worry about.

Ghost pulled back his sword and thrust it at Lea once more who was staying on the defensive. Knowing she was much of a fighter, Jason was reluctant to leave her, but soon realized he wasn't helping her nor could he, so he flapped his wings and took flight.

"Target escaping, backup requested." Ghost murmured into his 'wrist watch' before striking the young shinigami. His blade slipped under the blade of her scythe and managed to leave a cut along her collar. Lea cursed under her breath and stepped back as an attempt to get some distance between them.

(feel free to have Anders or another angel come in :p or i can do a mini-timeskip lolz)

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~° ~°~°~°~°~°~°~

Arael blinked as the commander rinsed out his cup, then headed out. His comment also confused him, but he didn't say anything to question him. Without Anders around, he could think more freely without feeling like he was being suffocated. "Goodnight, sir." He murmured after the other one bid goodnight.

He blinked once more when Silas spoke and glanced at him, pausing. The younger could tell his mind had probably wandered back to the thoughts of the one he spoke of earlier. Areal lowered his eyes, feeling kind of guilty. "Not until now.." He murmured, glancing back up at Silas. "I know a way we can save them.. and your friend.. But it's just a legend.." He spoke softly.

He wanted to make a difference, the thought of bringing their kind and the shinigami together in unity or even saving them, was definitely eating away at the back of his mind. If this one shinigami meant so much to him, though, he'd risk the punishment to save him through that legend.

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 04-20-2019, 01:08 AM

On the first floor of the flight deck, Anders lifted his flight goggles off of a nearby hook and fastened them over his eyes. He turned toward the departure platform. He blinked at the sudden alarm and voice message from his wrist watch.

"Backup requested."

Anders lifted his wrist gadget into view and pushed the goggles above his eyes. The voice was familiar, but it surprised him to have come from Ghost in Sector Four. He frowned. "On my way," he responded. Then he fiddled with the device until it beeped and a woman's voice tuned in.

"Yes?" the voice came through the static.

"I'll be late to Sector Two," Anders explained. "Please ask your senior recruit to stay an extra fifteen minutes on their shift." He took a step toward the departure platform and began to fasten his jacket shut in the front with his free hand. "You can send the junior recruit home."

"Ho-ho, did the teaparty with your pet run long?" she inquired. "Or should I say, did you and your pet get carried away with something else-"

Anders raised his voice. "Please respond. This is Anders in command of Highrose, paging for Cecilia in command of-"

"For f**k's sake, roger."

Anders clicked to close the connection to Cecilia. "What I would do to understand the point of having a sibling," he muttered to himself. Two steps later he spread his wings and dove. He scanned the surroundings as he descended below the clouds and toward humanity. He noticed a shinigami on the ground that seemed familiar from a distance. He planned a plunge attack with low accuracy.

...And then cursed silently as the shinigami backed away from Ghost. Anders dented in the earth below with a landing technique that sent a magic shockwave into the ground and kicked a dirt cloud up. It drew an approximate line between the shinigami and ally, and it gave Anders time to think of a move with higher accuracy.

He stood up from his couch. "Ghost, what is your mission here?" he asked, though he kept his focus on the enemy figure on the other side of the cloud. "To disband? Or execute?"

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

Silas stared. Save them? he thought. And Jason...

Before he realized what he had done, he was across the table and practically nose-to-nose with Arael. "How?" he half-pleaded, half-demanded. "You have to tell me. Jason was everything to me and I still failed him. Please. I-.." an ache in his throat cut his words short. He managed a whisper. "I would do anything for a chance to do it right."

Nova_Alchemist
^~^
Send a message via MSN to Nova_Alchemist Send a message via Yahoo to Nova_Alchemist

Old 04-20-2019, 03:12 AM

Jason pushed himself to fly as fast as his injured wing would allow.

Ghost smirked some when Anders voice came out of the watch. Back-up was coming. Andres was coming. Lea furrowed her eyebrows together and readied her scythe. She was determined not to let them get to Jason.

"You and your friend was done for, evil being." Ghost spoke, drawing his blade once more, only to clash with the blade of the scythe, and her eyes widen when Anders suddenly landed near the other angel.

"Execute, sir." Ghost spoke casually. "Her partner flew off towards the park, his wing is injured so he won't be going far." He explained briefly. Lea pushed her scythe down on the blessed blade. "Execute me if you want, but leave him alone! He hasn't done anything!" She yelled, pulling her scythe back and attacked once more.

Jason continued to fly, until the tree house came into view and he stumbled onto the porch from his wing giving out, crashing really. "Marz!" He called.

Arael was a little surprised when Silas moved so close to his face so quickly, and his voice dropped. "It's just a legend.. A story that my grandmother told me before I became a trainee." He started, in hopes that Silas understood. "There's a legend that there is a crystal that can can be used to go back in time for a short moment." He explained quietly. "If we can find it, and use it to go back before his suicide, and stop it, he won't ever become a shinigami.. Right?"

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 05-05-2019, 12:03 AM

Mars stirred in her sleep. In her memory she was at play in a park with an old friend. She and her friend, both holding small twigs, sparred with the imagination of would-be wizards. They cheered made-up words and feigned dramatic deaths between each make-believe round. In the middle of a magic duel, someone called her name from far behind. When she turned, the park was gone. She was in the dusty streets of a fallen city, surrounded by shadows of shinigami and angels alike. The twig wand in her hand had changed into her scythe. The only shadow she could make out was her comrade, in trouble. She leaped ahead and swung.

Mars!

She bolted awake at the sound of a crash on the porch. Half-dazed, Mars grabbed her scythe and threw the door open. She knew.

"Show me where they are!" she demanded. Then she saw the marks in the grass where Jason had switched between flying and running. She could see the right way to travel. She spread her wings to take flight and then noticed that Jason had collapsed because of flight. "If you can't walk, we'll run. I'm going to fly ahead, though. Let's hurry!"

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

Silas blinked. "A crystal?" He sat back and traced his fingers through his hair.

"Shoot," he mused. His mind drifted to years earlier when he had accepted the position of underling commander. He and Anders swore full information disclosure to each other as part of the mentorship. Disclosure requirements created time and space for Silas get to know the life of a commander. It created time and space for him to get to know Anders. It occurred to him that this knowledge of a time-traveling crystal, and for the sake of a shinigami, would definitely count as treason. There was no way he could hide this information without risk of a broken oath. Or punishment for treason. He bit his lip at the thought of a life as a Fallen.

"Is there any way we can find that crystal now?" he said, glancing toward the hallway. "I have a bad feeling about this. If we go back now, we can erase more than just the mistakes of yesterday."

At the sound of the small shinigami's plea, Anders turned to face her escaping partner. The brief glimpse of the silhouette struck Anders as familiar, though he couldn't place the name before the girl attacked.

He aimed a block and gritted his teeth as the scythe cut into his bracer. Though the flight suit bracers weren't metal, they were thick enough to defend against a single unexpected attack. It was hard to see through the residual dust, but he managed to recover from the block and dash toward his comrade.

"Ghost," Anders said after he regained his balance. "We need to cancel this assignment. Forgive me for the override request." He materialized his orb weapon so as to repel incoming attacks. "My underling had a traumatic run-in the other day with the shinigami who just disappeared over there. Said he knew the boy. I fear that any death to that shinigami's associates would compromise my underling's sanity. Highrose does not train multiple underlings to prepare for this kind of risk―we need to retreat."

I'll lose him if we continue here.

Anders turned back toward the direction where the shinigami girl had attacked from. The visibility was low, but she was far enough away for safety. "We can discuss this matter more back at the base, but for now I urge that we not make a martyr out of―"

Anders staggered at the sudden flash and cold force against his weapon orb, arm, and torso. He didn't see the glint of light from the dust before his orb dematerialized in a bright illusion of glittering shards. He found himself on the ground without an ounce of balance left in his legs to stand or otherwise move. He could barely make out what had happened, but he knew that the sharp pain and horizontal gash from his right side through the crux of his left elbow were the unmistakable artifacts of a scythe wound.

Mars reeled her scythe back from its swing and immediately dug her heel into the ground. She pushed herself back toward Lea but didn't dare look away or make herself vulnerable to retaliation. "Lea! We have to get out of here and treat your wound. I can't see for sh*t in this mess but if we stay here we're gonna be toast!"

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 05-11-2019, 02:43 AM

Arael wasn't sure how to answer that, as far as finding the crystal, but he had the book of mentioned legend hidden in his room room. Hidden for a damn good reason. "The legend vaguely mentions a place, but it's a riddle and I'm no good with riddles.." He murmured sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head. "If you don't mind stopping by my room though, I've still got the book containing the legend." He offered as a suggestion.

To say he was surprised to see her wake in a start like she did would be an understatement, but he knew that she and Lea were close before he ever became a shinigami. He recognized the look in her eyes when the older demanded to be shown to the fight, it was the same look Lea had almost anytime she suddenly showed up when he was in a bind.

She knew.

Jason collected himself and nodded, ignoring his injured wing and took flight. Running wouldn't be fast enough! He'd grit his teeth if he had to, he needed to get back to her as fast as he could.

Lea pulled her scythe back once she recognized the angel commander and narrowed her multi-colored eyes. He was the guy that shot her down before! Anders.. Right? Just great! Perfect! Wait.. She simply stared at Anders when he proceeded to speak. He.. This guy.. This Angel didn't want to go after Jason, because of the events of the other day? Wouldn't that normal push these guys to go after them? Nevermind that, what did he mean by that?!

Silas knew him after all, when he was alive? Was it just as she feared..or..

Ghost lowered his weapon and glanced at his superior. "Understood, commander." He said rather casually. It wasn't his place to go against a superior, and he wasn't about to risk an argument for denying his request while the enemy was so close to them. She seemed to be in a state of defense instead of offense at the moment, for whatever reason.

Just as he was about to speak, he barely had time to catch himself in time to dodge a scythe minutes before Anders was hit. "Commander!" He called, concerned for his superior after the blinding effects of him being hit by a second scythe. Just how many of them were there?! The girl.. The boy who had fled.. and now.. Ghost shoved the thought aside and immediately moved once more to dodge a poorly aimed scythe as Jason swung at him once more before going to Lea and giving her hand a light tug.

"C'mon, we gotta go!" Jason said to her, since Mars hadn't had much effect on his dazed partner. She blinked and nodded, faintly noticing his injured wing. They were both injured, what else could go wrong? Lea gasped when she felt something wrap around her figure, like a netting or something and she shoved Jason to the side and crying out as a shocking pain flooded her. Ghost had shot a net out of his secondary wrist band, meant for subduing an enemy. He could easily retract it and re-fire it as needed.

Jason stumbled back and his injured wing met the side of a nearby tree. "Lea!"

((oh wow.. i really hope i didn't over-do it or overstep and boundries with this ^^'))

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 06-27-2019, 04:17 AM

"I've still got the book―"

Silas's eyes widened. He stood up and promptly tipped the coffee table right over. From the corner of his eye he saw his teacup quietly sail down through the air before the ceramic cracked against the tile floor a few feet away. The unequal halves splashed lukewarm tea across the surface and into the would-be miniature aqueducts between the squares. It had nowhere to dissipate and the energy from impact could only carry the liquid so far from the epicenter. Like the life blood of love after a sudden, uneven heartbreak, it tried so desperately to reach the other heart.

"We have to go there." Silas insisted, suddenly aware of himself again. And afraid. "Please."

Instinctively, Anders lifted the smart watch on his right wrist over to his left hand. His left arm refused to flex upward due to either shock or damage―he wasn't sure which. Instead of flexing, warm redness surged from the crux of his elbow. He shivered.

He cursed when he couldn't activate the emergency combination with his left hand so he wriggled out of the watch and held the three buttons down with his right hand until the watch flashed red and prompted voice input. "I'm hit," he managed.

His attention was drawn upward when he heard the shrill noise from the shinigami girl. Despite the dust and remnants of glitter in the air he could make out their forms. Two shinigami were disabled, but one―the one that struck him―remained untouched.

His ears rang... He lost his balance as he sat on the ground and fell onto his left side. He winced as he landed on his injured arm and the spark of pain brought clarity. As he folded his right arm inward to try and apply pressure against the maroon marsh along his abdomen and left arm, he heard his sister's voice from the watch. "...Anders! Anders! Anders, do you copy? What sector are you in?! Anders, please respond!"

Vertigo seized him for a moment. "Four," he said at last.

"Roger! We're on our way!"

Anders saw Ghost ahead in the dust cloud, though he assumed the smart watch broadcast to fellow leadership ranks had made it to Ghost's ears that way. The ringing crept into his ears again and muffled the static flurry of backup requests and medical communications from the watch.

He looked toward his right shoulder. Through the dust cloud. Toward the sky. Faintly, he saw the red and blue lights of catastrophe begin to illuminate the city beyond the clouds.

I never told him... He took a breath as shadow encircled the edge of his vision. He doesn't know.

Shit....SHIT! Mars thought frantically. The dust in the air was starting to fade―they were about to lose cover.

One of the guardians seemed to be down for the count, but despite his motionlessness Mars could make out dimly flashing sign of warning from the communicator on his arm. She didn't want to look up at the chaos that would soon rain from above.

Half out of knee-jerk panic, half out of a brilliant idea, she dashed toward the figure on the ground. The least she could do was throw confusion into the communications. She had taken out guardians before―and with a single blow, just like this time―so she didn't think twice. She snatched away the loose communicator and pierced it with the sharp point on the bottom of her scythe's snath. It broke and the death of the flashing lights relieved her.

Until she realized that she had mistaken the guardian for a corpse. Immediately, the figure stirred and looked right at her through the low visibility. Mars barely saw the small casting orb re-materialize―she was too stunned by her own mistake―before a powerful blast threw her off of her feet. As she lost contact with the ground, she lost her grip on her scythe. She crashed into the other guardian, who seemed to be in very good condition.

As a last-ditch effort, she threw a kick forward and reached back for her scythe. It was facing the wrong way, so she could only reach the blade in time. Automatically, she cut her palm on the blade and recited the prayer to their leader. "By the light and shade of Nevra..." she began. Please save us..

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 06-29-2019, 02:57 AM

Arael blinked as he watched his superior react to his words, instinctively getting up and taking a step back from the table as the tea cup crashed against the floor, feeling the energy from the other. "O-of course." He murmured quietly. "We'll go right now, if you want." He sai trying to sound casual.

No sooner than he began to turn around to leave the room, and lead Silas up to his room, his pale eyes widen briefly as his vision blurred as if about to faint. He all but doubled over, grabbing hold of the door frame of the entrance of the break room with one hand, and grabbed his chest with the other. He had a connection with his current mentor, it was like imprinting. Something had happened to his mentor, and he could feel it.

Jason wrapped his arms around his unconscious partner as she fell over, catching her before she could hit the ground. He leaned against a tree with in his arms, cursing under his breath.

Ghost stayed somewhat near Anders as to protect him, until the unknown shinigami struck the watch that signaled for a SOS. He barely had enough time to react as he saw the orb of light. "Commander!" He voiced, shielding himself just before the other shinigami had crashed into him. The impact knocked him back, but he shook it off and aimed his wrist watch at Mars, planning to use the netting on her as well as the younger female shinigami.

However, Ghost once again had to shield himself from a bright light that seemed to come from nowhere. As the light fadded, a figure outlined in a bright aura, Nerva struck him before he could react. He flew back as the force of her scythe made contact and crashing back into the ground. "Fear not my child.. By my power, I command you to stop!" She said, her voice emitting an echo and time around them seemed to momentarily pause. She closed her eyes and murmured a soft chant before the three shinigami were sent to the Tree house.

Time then resumed and Nerva stood before Mars, Lea, and Jason inside the Tree house. Jason couldn't believe his eyes!

Last edited by Nova_Alchemist; 08-11-2019 at 02:36 AM..

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 AM

Silas followed Arael as patiently as he could pretend but he couldn't stop his heart from racing with an anxious sense of hope. What would he do if he had a second chance?

The sudden motion of the guardian in front of him snapped him back into the moment. "Arael―!" he managed as he reached forward to Arael's shoulder for support. "Are you okay? Hey, Arael!" The words escaped his mouth before he could think. Then he realized that Arael's source of pain was his chest. "I'll call a medic―" he started to say as he reached for his smart watch.

The fallen city in sector four always had a kind of gloom to it between the uninhabitable smog and natural fog. But this time Cecilia had no problem pinpointing the commotion. A large but faded plume of dust suggested an area, and the signature bright glow confirmed it.

She barked commands over the wind and into her communication headset. There were half a dozen guardians traveling with her and she expected ten times as many to follow up in the next few minutes. She frowned at the sight of the light―the bright, red-tinted white was unmistakable. She had seen Nerva once before and the thought of another run-in made her shiver. As she approached the scene and the small fleet started to land, she made out the complete shape of her comrade, Ghost. And her brother.

She froze.

"Ah―!" a mellodic voice sounded from ahead as Cecilia crashed into the guardian in front of her. It was her right hand, Beatrice. The two spun out and landed heavily on the ground. Beatrice coughed and Cecilia caught her bearings immediately. "Commander, what―" Beatrice started to say. Cecilia stood and stared ahead, and then Beatrice realized.

"Ghost!" one of the medics in front yelled as he and another medic dashed forward into the dust toward Ghost and the silhouette on the ground. Their voices faded with their silhouettes as they ran ahead. When Cecilia and Beatrice and the others caught up, the grave expression on the medics' said everything. Cecilia swallowed hard, and an eerie silence blanketed the group.

Beatrice spoke first. "Commander, how do you want to handle this?" she asked.

"The same as we always do. Burn everything in earshot with the Releasing Flame." Cecilia managed. It was unthinkable to bury a guardian and trap the physical vessel of a being from above in the ground. Instead, it was tradition to let their ashes rise to the sky, where all guardians belonged. Historically the ceremony was performed by lighting the perimeter of a battle zone aflame with magic so that it burned inward. It was unusual for a guardian to die alone. That this could even happen...

She frowned when the half dozen soldiers under her command remained silent. "That's an order," she declared. The underlings scattered, and she was left alone with Ghost until the underlings were ready to initiate the ceremony. Cecilia placed her hand on his shoulder. "There will be half a hundred guardians here soon. Do you know where to look for the shinigami? I understand that with Nerva's help they could be long gone in escape by now, but you know possible shinigami whereabouts better than anyone. I trust you with the decision of whether, and how, we pursue them."

Mars blinked in surprise. She had never actually seen Nerva's power, and had only heard of it until now. "My lady," she murmured. Then she realized that her hand was still bleeding from the summoning spell. She tore off a strip of cloth from the bottom of her t-shirt and tied it around her hand. As she glanced around she focused on Jason and Lea. "Ah, Jason! Is Lea alright?" she asked as she tried to stand and move over to them.

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 08-12-2019, 11:06 PM

Arael tightened his hold on his chest as his senior steadied him. "No.." He murmured, feeling the knot in his chest tightening. The younger lightly grabbed the hand reaching for the wrist watch. "They don't know we have a connection.. Let's just go to my room and get that book." He said quietly before slowly leading Silas out of the break room and up to his room. Ghost was alive, at least, but he knew it wouldn't be for long. His mentor was in bad shape.

---

Ghost coughed as the dust cleared and he held a large wound under his rib cage. He had lost a lot a blood in the that little amount of time and there was blood on his lip. He knew he wasn't going to make it back. Nerva had hit a vital organ on that last attack. "You're too late.." He murmured roughly. Ghost winced as he stood and slowly inched towards Cecilia and her right hand, hearing them talking about burning everything. "Anders won't be dying alone Commander.. I failed my mission.. Forgive me." He murmured. "I don't know where they went.. Nor how to follow them. My watch is busted as well." He murmured.

Ghost slowly sat down, coughing up a bit of blood. "You can't save me.. My trainee has a connection with me. Keep an eye on him, make sure he lives.." He murmured.

---

Nerva smiled at Mars. Jason was carefully laying down his unconscious partner, examining her. "She's not looking good Mars.. Her breathing's uneven and ragged." He murmured wearily. Nerva slowly approached the young shimigami and gently placed a hand on her damp forehead. She was shivering, most likely going into shock. "Can't you do anything for her?" Jason asked. Nerva glanced at him. "My power is limited in the mortal realm, and taking her back to our world could very well kill her."

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 09-21-2019, 09:01 PM

"A connection?" Silas blurted. He realized the loudness of his voice as the echo bounced off of the corridor walls. As he felt Arael swat his hand away from his wrist watch, his cheeks flushed in the moment with a mix of embarrassment and jealousy. Was everyone higher-up in rank like Anders secretly chasing after underlings? Arael was so young, just like Jason―

He tripped in the doorway over the small metal bar that separated the wood flooring in the hallway from the carpet in Arael's room. Once the door closed behind the two of them, Silas noticed a distant sound of a siren from beyond the window in the room. "Woah, what is that?" he asked as he stepped over to examine the flashing lights by the flight deck.

Cecilia tightened her grip on Ghost's shoulder as she heard his words. She had not studied connection magic and had never intended to use it. Was it fatal if one bearer of the bond passed away?

"If your connection hasn't doomed him as well, then I will see that he lives."

Mars's eyes widened at the news. Her entire life she spent in devotion to the being whom she had never met before and yet stood before her now. That Her power could fall short in any universe came as a surprise. "Is there anything we can do to aid your powers in this realm?" she asked and held her arms out, palms up and a strip of cloth tied to her right hand to cover the cut. "Or help Lea survive a trip to our home realm?"

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 PM

Arael caught the look on his eyes and shook his head. "It's not like that.. Everyone thinks it's magic, but it's not. It's not something we can control. When an underlying like myself meets their mentor, a.mentor who can relate to or truly understand them, a bond occurs self consciously.. Like imprinting. Why do think the trainees get a new mentor every two or three weeks, sometimes more often? It's to keep that bond from forming.." He said calmly, quieting himself as he spoke. He needed to focus on finding that book.

He paused when he also heard the distant sirens and noticed the lights, his eyebrows furrowing. "An emergency signal." He murmured. Arael then went to his bookshelf and tossed a few books onto the floor, revealing a small hidden cubby hole. He opened it and pulled out the book he had mentioned to Silas then sat down on the edge of his bed. "Here it is, my grandma's book." He murmured quietly. "Reading it might help us find that crystal."

Ghost frowned, gritting his teeth some in pain. "It wasn't my connection.. He connected with me." He murmured roughly, holding his wound tightly. "Every underling we have had a chance of connecting to their mentor." He said quietly. "Arael is strong willed, but fragile like glass. He needs someone to stand in my place, commander." He said. That bond could make them both stronger as one, and very be the death of his underling. He inhaled a sharp breath and his vision blurred as the effects of blood loss and trauma sank in.

---

Nerva turned to face Mars and gently took her hands. "I never said I couldn't help her." She murmured softly. Nerva turned back to Lea and rested a hand on her forehead. "Which of you had a stronger bond with this child?" She asked. Jason glanced at Mars, then at the goddess. "I've only been with her a short time.. I think Mars has been with her long before I came around." Jason spoke quietly. Need a simply smiled. "Mars, come foreword and place your hand on mine." She instructed.

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 AM

Silas absently unlocked the latch on the window to crack it open. He could vaguely make out that there was an announcer barking orders alongside the alarm. The only words he could understand, however, where Arael's. It occurred to Silas that there was hardly any time for anything. There was only time to spare between Anders and himself because there was no other person to teach Silas what the commander of Highrose knew other than that commander himself. Everything else was a constant shuffle of people and relationships. There was no time to spare between mentors and apprentices. There was no time to spare between fellow apprentices because they were so busy with school. He was probably more likely to find a mortal's winning lottery ticket in the record-keeping section of the central library than he was likely to find any guardian's marital documents.

There was no time between guardians and their mortals.

He put a hand on his forehead―it was warm to the touch. He spun around to face Arael when he heard of the book. "I leave the reading honor to you," he said. It was Arael's book after all. Then his mind wandered. "Does that kind of bond happen between any two people?" he blurted.

Cecilia sat motionless in the dim light after Ghost's voice faded away. "If it's like that..." she murmured to herself. She only moved slightly when she noticed that one of the blue flickering plumes in the distance was actually the swishing in the wind of Beatrice's hair as she jogged toward Cecilia in the center. Cecilia bid the two silhouettes farewell on their journey to the other side and stood. "No one could stand in your place, Ghost." She paused and turned her face to the dark pastel sky. "But you've helped so many of us stand on our own in this place that maybe, just maybe, we're all enough to make up for it."

"Commander!" Beatrice shouted, finally in earshot. She bowed as she neared the commander and the silhouettes. "Reinforcements have started to arrive and the perimeter is secure. What may I tell them?"

"There is no intel on the shinigami whereabouts, so there is no need for reinforcements or the continuation of alarm. We will complete this ceremony of magic fire and then retreat."

Mars's dark brown eyes twinkled at the idea that she could be of aid. Without a second blink she leapt toward Nerva in one big skip and did as she was told, placing her hand over Nerva's. "A-am I doing it right?" she stuttered.

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 10-23-2019, 01:31 AM

Arael's eyes briefly widen when a breeze came through the window and he caught the faint silhouette of his mentor, then it vanished after a split second. He hadn't even heard Silas's question properly enough to make it out. His heart had shattered and it knocked the wind out of the younger angel, the book falling out of his weak grip. He then dropped to his knees and found himself staring at the floor as if hit in the back of the head. It had happened so quickly, but it felt like he was moving in slow motion. The bond had been broken. Ghost was gone, and it left the younger feeling empty.

Dazed, Arael slowly lowered his eyes to the book beside him which had opened due to the impact of hitting the floor, to the page where a picture of white tear shaped Crystal could be seen.

---

Nerva smiled some. "Relax, my child and close your eyes." She said in a soothing voice, closing her eyes and using Mars as a means to channel some of her energy into Lea. "Focus your energy into healing her, let my energy flow through you." She instructed calmly.

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 12-31-2019, 08:14 PM

Silas blinked in surprise when he saw Arael fall. "Are you sure you're alright?" he asked as he reached forward to grip Arael's shoulder to stabilize him.

Then, he realized that the sirens outside had ceased. He heard a loud crash from a floor above. It was the sound of a door clattering to the floor, likely after a good kick to its hinges. It sounded strangely like it came from his own room...

Instinctively, Silas clicked Arael's door shut and locked it just in time for a chorus of footsteps to race down the hallway on Arael's floor. A heavier door opened from the stairwell a few doors down. "Where is he?" came a voice from the same area. It sounded like Beatrice, second in command of a neighboring clan. "He's not in his room, my lady," a younger voice replied. "I can page him-"

"No." Beatrice snapped. "Find him in person and alone to transfer command. Do not breach secrecy."

"Right away, my lady!" the younger replied, scurrying down the hallway. Silas waited for the heavyweight sound of Beatrice's boots to also disappear at the end of the hallway as the door closed to the stairwell.

"Ghost and Anders went on that mission together," he recounted in a low voice. "If they're looking for me to transfer command, and kicking down doors in secret, that means that Anders..." He murmured and moved his gaze to Arael. "And if they find that book, we'll lose our chance to right any of this--what the, is it glowing?"

Mars closed her eyes and tried to do as she was told. As she focused, she felt lighter on her feet. It reminded her of how she felt when she was first welcomed to the tree house as a fellow shinigami, part of the family. It reminded her of how she felt when she met Lea and suddenly felt a sense of duty to be a better person, a better sister. It reminded her of how she felt when she heard that Lea had a new friend, someone to go on missions with her as her equal, even if the kid was a little weird.

It made her happy and terrified and nervous at the same time. She could only hope that it was enough.

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 01-02-2020, 01:07 AM

Arael was having trouble breathing, and hearing the outside noise wasn't helping. He could hear the rushing footsteps running across his floor, and blinked when Silas suddenly closed his door.

They were looking for him, weren't they? He was here.. and the younger didn't want him to leave. Arael weakly grabbed the sleeve of Silas's jacket. "They're dead.." He murmured softly. His empty eyes moved to look down at his book, which did appear to be glowing, and he slowly reached to pick it up. When he touched it, an image flashed across Arael's and Silas's eyes. An image of the crystal, hiding within an undersea cavern. They knew where it was now.

---

As she did so, the love and warmth spread through Nerva and into Lea, along with her energy, slowly healing whatever damage was done to the younger shinigami. An aura began to emit around Need a and her eyes began to glow some as her energy combined with Mars's, showing that she was indeed a goddess. The air around seemed to lighten.

Once the transfer was complete, the aura faded and Need a let go of Mars's hand. Lea looked much better, and she slowly opened her multi colored eyes. "Mn.. Mars.." She murmured softly.

Nera smiled some and gently placed a kiss on Mars's forehead. "Well done, my child." She murmured softly as she began to fade from their world.

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 02-13-2020, 12:43 AM

Silas gaped at Arael. He realized that he had tightened his grip on Arael's shoulder, though he wasn't sure if it was his own heart or Arael's that pulsed more frantically. Then he jumped as an image flashed before him.

"We have to find this. We have to go back," Silas insisted. "That water was so dark, almost black... That cave has to be somewhere near the beaches south of here. Here, this is sturdier than I am--" he paused and tried to move Arael's arm from his own sleeve to the bed post nearby. Then he stood and glanced out the window, absorbed in thought. "I don't know how we're going to get out of here unseen... The flight deck is so far away. Gah, and there are so many enchanted rivers flow into the water beyond those beaches that I don't even know if it's safe to swim in. I suppose we have no choice-"

Suddenly, his wrist watch flashed and sounded an alarm. "Shit! he swore, turned sharply, tore the device off of his wrist, and tried to muffle it under the pillow on the bed. "We don't have time, we need to get out of here before they find us! Quick," he said as he reached for the door and then hesitated. Then he looked at the window. If flight gear was out of the question, then Arael's window was conveniently close to the skyline edge of the city...

Mars stood dazed. The light of the goddess blinded each of her senses and faded only slowly when it was over. When she heard the soft voice of her sibling shinigami, she made one quick shake of the head in disbelief and snapped her gaze toward the source. "Lea!" she cried and hugged the smaller shinigami tightly. "Oh," she choked. "I don't know what I would have done if I had lost you. JASON YOU GET IN HERE TOO FOR A HUG," she demanded in an ironically wavering voice and a stream of tears.

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 02-17-2020, 05:59 PM

Arael waited for the image to fade, and Silas had moved his hand to the bed post, before slowly standing on weak legs. 'I'm not giving in.. I can't fall into despair.. I still have something I have to do!' The young angel thought to himself, determined to keep his wings from turning black. If he fell from grace now.. Silas would have to find the crystal all by himself.

The sound of the siren made him jump and turn his attention to the pillow now muffling the sound. He shook his head as Silas debated on how they would get out unseen, and he gently grabbed his arm when the older angel reached for the door. "Don't." He warned. Arael slowly released his grip and walked over to his window, and opening it. "C'mon, this way is quicker. No flight gear but..who needs it?" He said with a small smirk before opening his wings and taking flight from the window. The others had already been informed where he was, and we're probably already heading this way. They needed to get out of here, quick!

---

Lea winced some when Mars suddenly and tightly hugged her, soon relaxing and lightly wrapping her arms around the older shinigami. Jason didn't need to wait for Mars to yell at him to join their hug twice, so he went over to the pair and draped his arms around them. "You're so reckless, Lea.. Why did you shield me? You could've died, and there wouldn't be any coming back. It would've been game over." He said, biting back his emotions. Lea hugged them tightly. "You're my partner, I should have been there to protect you. Those Guardians.. They think we're devils.." She murmured.

Nerva smiled softly. "To them, we are..because we don't have to wait to take someone's life. They don't understand that sometimes waiting until the last moment is torture in itself." She said softly. "The shinigami themselves know what that feels like.. You were human at some time, and alive. Shinigami are born when a human takes his or her own life, when they hit rock bottom and have no one to save them from themselves." She spoke. "We are reminded of our 'sin' on the day we are forced to remember the day we took our lives, our death date." She spoke, then glanced at Jason. "You can't remember though, because you don't have your wings. If you do, you will be overtaken by the memories, and pain, and will slowly disappear."

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 04-04-2020, 03:42 AM

Silas took two steps toward the window. Then he turned on his heels and yanked hard on the bed frame. It was just small enough to move so he pushed it against the door frame with one loud screech of the metal legs on the wood floor. Then he dashed toward the breeze from outside and jumped from the windowsill into it.

It was scary at first, to dive without open wings. Silas kept his wings close to his body so as to not break something suddenly, but it was terrifying how quickly one could fall toward the city grounds with tucked wings. When he was comfortable enough in the wind he spread his wings fully. They hadn't been spotted, and they were incredibly lucky to be so close to the sky border.

"Arael! Don't stop once we're out of the city!" he shouted into the wind. He would try to hide his wings when they fell, so that it would be harder for eyes to spot them. If they had better luck, the sun would sink behind a cloud and shade their descent.

His heart sank when he realized what mess he had committed to. They would at least erase his memory of Highrose for treason, and might do worse to his wings. All this over a turn of events in less than a few days. "I have to do this," he thought aloud as he remembered Jason's face. Then he remembered Anders. "Highrose still needs you. I'll make this right," he swore. "For both of you."

Mars sobbed loudly as she hugged her fellow Shinigami. She nodded through snot and tears as Jason insisted that Lea could have died and how it would have been game over. She released her grip on the two of them enough to wipe her face and sniffle. She stopped suddenly when Lea and Nerva mentioned the Guardians.

Does he have a second, hidden set of wings? she wondered. If she hadn't accidentally thought aloud, it was at least written all over her face. She shook her head to clear her mind of stray ideas.

"Thank you, my lady. For everything." she said with a bow of the head. Then she looked toward her Shinigami siblings. "We should head back. To tell the others," she started to continue, but a pit of dread in her throat silenced her words. To tell our family what we've done, and to prepare for what they will do in return.

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 04-29-2020, 07:13 PM

Arael followed Silas's example and folded his small wings as they dived, until the air flow had evened out a bit, then opened his wings once more. This was amazing! He had wings, and he often flew, but never like this. The younger angel couldn't keep the from his face.

He glanced at the other when he shouted, and nodded. "Got it!" He shouted back, really he was trying to keep control of his wings since he had never flown like this before. Keeping his wings open like this was harder than he expected. They'd need to keep flying under they reach their destination, question was, could the younger angel keep in the air that long without getting tired?

Highrose had never really felt like home anyway..

---

Need a glanced at Mars and smiled some at the question written across her face. "Jason's wings are fake. They're made just the same as yoyrs, but they're just to hold the place until he can open his own wings." She explained, realizing that it probably didn't make since. Every Shinjuku startled out with a pair of training wings, and that's what Jason wore on his back.

Nerva then nodded her head as she began to fade. "I need to return as well, but I will talk to them myself. This was I'll probably mean war, Mars, but I will do everything in my power to keep that from happening." She said softly.

Lea wrapped her arms around Mars and Jason once more in a tight hug.

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 06-13-2020, 06:19 PM

Silas could barely keep his eyes open against the wind. As he tried, tears welled up in his eyes, which made it even harder to keep them open. He could make out the water below them and the reflection of the sinking sun on the horizon, but not much else between the gale and the glare.

Then he felt a sudden change in the wind around him. Had he stumbled across the path of some kind of current? Was it a pressure pocket? "Arael watch out for the gust here―AAH"

Before he could comprehend the situation, a strong tug down on his left wing sent him spiraling even faster toward the ground below. At this speed, it would barely matter if they were on track for a water landing. He struggled to try and right himself so that he could spread his wings and slow down. Too much force would break his wings trying, but too little force and he wouldn't be able to break the spiral.

With a miracle amount of luck, Silas managed to slow down enough that the water landing didn't kill him. He plunged into the deep blue waves just off the shore of the mouth of an enchanted river. The dim aura of magic and the shock from the sudden impact left his ears ringing. Dazed, he looked around and swam in a direction that was mostly upward, though it was hard to tell in the dark water. Everything hurt when he gasped for air at the surface. "Arael!" he called out with his first breath. "Arael? Arael are you there?!".

Mars pressed her lips together in a thin line of worry. "I understand," she said. Then she managed a weak smile. "If anyone can do it, it's you, my lady." Then she looked at her comrades. "Are you both alright to walk home?" She could carry them part of the way but would need to change plans if it were any farther than that.

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 08-05-2020, 01:01 PM

Arael struggled to get his wings to cooperate as he followed the older angel. He was no longer grinning like an innocent child, his face in concentration as he flexed his wings and body to easier face the high winds.

He yelped as he was tugged into the wind stream above a lake and his small wings folded against his body, hitting the water at full force and the pain of the impact knocked the air out of his lungs. Everything slowly went black as his consciousness began to fade. It was strange though, he could feel a magic aura around him as he drifted, numbing him. Or was that from the shock? It was hard to tell.

--

Lea and Jason glanced at Mars when she spoke and nodded lightly, and Lea gently took her hand hostage. "Can we stay here, tonight?" She asked curiously.

Jason gave his partner a concerned glance, used to seeing her stand tall no matter what. She seemed vulnerable after the events of the attack though, and unlike herself.

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 09-05-2020, 05:02 PM

Silas coughed through his first few breaths as he half-treaded, half-splashed in the water. "Arael!" he called again, shaking his head blinking hard to clear up his vision. He could vaguely make out a cloud of bubbles and choppy water where his comrade presumably fallen in, so he swam toward it and dove under.

He swam down hard through the whirl of impact bubbles, unsure of how far Arael would be. Within a few strokes he reached the end of the mist of bubbles but he could make out a dark shape ahead of him. He swam a little further and reached for it―for Arael―and pulled the figure upward to the surface.

Silas gasped for air when he could. "Arael! Are you okay?" he tried to ask as he half-treaded and half-struggled to keep a grip on his comrade.

Mars giggled. "Yes, you can spend the night." She didn't have much space to spare but she was certainly happier at the idea of keeping an eye on the two shinigami underlings. None of that hiking through warzone nonsense. With that in mind Mars sighed in relief. She rubbed her eyes to rid herself of a short spell of tiredness and to wipe away a few lingering tears. "Alright, I'm gonna fall asleep if I stay out here any longer. If you two can help me figure out where I hid the cots and spare blankets quickly, though, I'll stay up to make cocoa!"

Nova_Alchemist
^~^

Old 09-05-2020, 06:58 PM

Arael was unconscious by the time Silas had dived into the water after him, but he was alive, at least for the moment. Shortly after they broke surface though, and the magic aura of the water had buzzed around him, he began coughing and gasping for air. It took a few minutes to regulate his breathing and trying not to flop around too much, noticing how Silas was having a hard enough time trying to keep a hold of him. "Silas? I thought for sure.." He said quietly through panting, and coughing a little more. He thought for sure he would drown, or already had.

Did the water have magic in it, and did it keep him alive? That seemed a little far fetched, but.. He also wouldn't doubt it. There was also another issue here, the boy didn't know how to swim.

--

Lea and Jason both nodded in agreement to search for the cots and blankets, before Lea loosely hugged the slightly older Shinigami. She then let and gave Jason's hand a tug to start looking. If she remembered right..

She led Jason towards the 'store room' and opened the door, walking inside and the two began to search in the boxes piled around the room. This was at one point her room, before she was assigned to being Jason's partner. Lea had the thought of checking the closet, and did just that, blinking when she saw a few outfits she had left here when she moved out. They were still here.. Shaking her head a bit, she smirked when she found the folded cots and pulled one of them out. "Found them!" She declared proudly.

Jason smirked some and helped with the other one, and the two carried the two cots down to the living room.

YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 10-26-2020, 03:50 AM

Silas struggled to keep the two of them above water. "It's okay, it's okay, it's gonna be okay," he tried to re-assure Arael between half-strokes against the body of water. He had enjoyed swimming for fun and for low-impact exercise, but it was a lot harder trying to carry the weight of two people in full flight gear. It would have been alright to have unfolded wings but they were sore from impact and he didn't have enough space to move them with Arael in the way. What felt like a comfortable task quickly turned into a life-or-death battle, and Silas had no breath to spare on re-assuring Arael of the state of affairs.

By some miracle they reached shore. Never before had he felt so happy to be able to touch the sand with his soaked shoes. "Can...Can you stand?" he asked between breaths as the water grew more shallow.

Mars grinned as the younger shinigami scurried away to help her look for sleepover supplies. She started down the same hallway but hung a left toward the kitchen area. She frowned as she realized that all of the lights were off in their home despite the time. She flipped the lights on as her footsteps on wood became foodsteps on tile. "No one's home yet..." She reached for the pantry door. Focus was all she could do to fight the worrying unknown of where her friends were at this hour, so with that in mind she leaned inside to peer around for cocoa. Well, it was baker's chocolate because that was inexpensive and because it was much easier to please a crowd when some wanted a sugar shock shutdown and her partner wanted "Less sweet, more business."

Mars nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard Lea from down the hallway. Before she knew it she bumped her head on the shelf above but thankfully nothing went flying. She snatched the chocolate and sugar from the shelf below her and half-heartedly tidied the shaken things on the shelf above on her way out. She tossed the supplies on the table in the middle of the room and returned to the tree house entrance to congratulate her fellow shinigami.

"Nice work!" she applauded from the doorway. "Do you need help setting up or should I just start the cocoa? Also who wants cinnamon?"