Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 01-05-2008, 06:41 AM

I used not to sign on my art. Though the reason why I didn't during that time was because I still do not have a decent enough signature I was happy with that I can place around my art without obstructing it too much.

Then at one point, there was a whole big issue of art thefts and art thieves going around. I got slightly paranoid at that point and start signing all my done artworks, ESPECIALLY the ones I decide is fit enough for posting (mostly in my deviantArt gallery).

Later when I am more familiar with Photoshop and started doing more CG works, I add in my site link together with my signature, so sometimes there are triple signatures on my artworks. xD;

Still, one of my artworks was just recently nicely kidnapped, down-sized, blurred (possibly in the hopes of blurring my signature enough not to be seen) and posted by someone else who had a very lovely comment about the pic 'HE drew'. I spent hours on the pencil art and he calls it a quick sketch. I felt greatly insulted at that point. It was already taken down, so I suppose that's fine.

augi
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to augi Send a message via MSN to augi

Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Ironic_Depressions - D: Inconsiderate jerks like that should die. They're ignorant too. =___= Sorry bout what happened to you.

>.>; Now I have more of an answer as to why I sign my works. I guess it's like it's the finishing touch. I do it when I'm thinking, "It's done. Okay, time to sign. ... where... :o"

I actually kinda like scriptic signs. Like, ones where you can barely tell the name and it looks kinda scribbly. It feels like it blends right into the pic or at least fits. XDD

I'm pretty sure people can read my AUGi though.

organique
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-08-2008, 02:52 AM

ever since someone on gaia decided to steal my art, i've signed it.
i use photoshop, so i just make some generic text signature with my username and lower the opacity. my signatures are usually places over the entire image.

Metal Pandora
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Metal Pandora

Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM

I always sign my stuff. It's usually on the character in the piece; like on the leg or shoe.

Victory-3

Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 AM

i use photoshop, so i made a symbol/sig stamp to put on the corner of my pics.

veryvery

Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 AM

Ahh, sometimes i put a symbol on my pictures that means "vv", which is probably not the smartest thing to do because it there's no tying that to my real name. i just think it looks like a nice mark and sometimes it adds to the look of the picture. some people sign in tiny places on the image, which i think is best for people that get their art stolen a lot. because the people stealing don't usually see it~

Frogsie
Dead Account Holder

Old 01-11-2008, 02:42 AM

My signature is just a little frog for the internet art. :]

Akstar
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-13-2008, 04:41 AM

It really depends on if I'm doing digital stuff or traditional however both have the same thing the () around the second part of my signature is for the changing variable for it : Ak(08 ).

I have the year by my initials so I know when I made the piece. For digital, I tend to put it in a spot that I think it would be hard to edit out yet it's small enough that it doesn't distract you from the image. Which is the one thing I hate about water marks, they just throw the whole image off to me, which is kinda sad. In traditional I tend to keep them on the bottom of the image and either off to a part that again would be hard to edit out and possibly have it in a place in the background that is not too distracting yet be visible.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 AM

I sign it to keep buttmunches from claiming it's theirs...and also as a finishing touch, especially on a gift. It feels more sincere that way--the same way you sign off on a letter.

Online images of originals I watermark now due to stupid people pissing me off...

Originals that were gifted to or done as a commission to people I do not know RL I sign in gold ink. This is so they can't take pictures of it and claim it's theirs that easily with the metallic paint catching light like no tomorrow. But also cause I like shiny stuff. o.o'

Once in a while I get bored enough to secretly tuck my name into the painting so that it's not as intrusive.

Almost always, I paint in something small that is either a red flower, red bug, or if it's a fantasy piece, I tuck in a tiny dragon with wings.

Once in a blue moon, I like the painting so much that I will not sign directly on it, but use one of my little creatures as a signature, and then wait long enough to whitewash the back, write a personalized letter, and sign it. That has only happened twice in my lifetime though. XD

Yeah...I know I know...what I do probably isn't worth a ton...but to me, I still want to put in the effort now and then. :)

Heartbeats
*^_^*

Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 AM

I sign my art just because I saw other people do it XD

I guess it was more like a , "Oh. Hey. Hey you. I drew this."

My sign is just my username initials. ;P

Reiny
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-19-2008, 02:12 AM

You probably should sign your art to prevent art theft. Or you can watermark it or something. Something to show that you did it.
NOt only is it safer, but it also gets your name out there for future commissions and for credibility.

L_Ryuuzaki
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM

Yes. IN BLOOD!!!!
jk.

Jaded Geisha
*^_^*

Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 PM

Meh... It depends... If it's art for close friends I do... But since I don't really do art for profit and because my art isn't that great, I usually don't bother.

I don't know anyone with bad enough taste to steal my stuff... and really if someone did steal it I'd take it as a sign that my skill is improving...

Melilot
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-29-2008, 01:48 PM

If it's a crappy little sketch, I don't waste my time signing it. :| Even if I post it.
I have enough proof that it's mine: I have a whole website.

I don't approve of people signing their names RIGHT across their picture in opaque red, white, or black
LIKE THIS!!! BECAUSE THIS IS MINE!!! COPYRIGHT WHATEVER YEAR! DON'T STEAL!!

But then again... that's not what this thread is asking. :lol:

My signature is in japanese, or romanji: MNR, Murasaki no ryuu, when the canvas is too small to sign in japanese.
If anyone has japanese characters enabled:
ç´«ã®ç«œ

Adding a signature in some cases seems like... it adds to the picture. It is all the more beautiful if you have a continuous amount of pics that are signed by you.

Uhh.... I draw it as neatly as I can. Sometimes it's big. But as long as you have a cool, professional looking signature, nobody will care. I try to have it not obscure my artwork. I'm not to famous or popular anyways, so why do people care about stealing my stuff?
I usually don't sign my name on my web layouts. It all depends on the flow of the picture.

But I have a brush in PSP8 that makes it all the more easy for digital pics! Awesome. Yeah. I thought of that a month ago. 8)

MurasakiCrown
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM

I DO watermark, because lately, I've been getting a bit paranoid.. XD

I'm considering making invisible watermarks, but I don't have access to my own computer right now (I'm at at school computer), so I can't really try it just yet DX

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 PM

I used to put my initials on my artwork but then I forgot on a piece and then forgot on all of my other ones.

I do put my name on avi art though, but that is more a form of advertisement and making sure the person I drew it for doesn't claim it as their own.

The only I add to my art nowadays is the date.

Ailyse
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 AM

I mainly do not sign my work, unless I was asked to do so.
But I do like to stamp my work, it's like a signature but isn't o.o''
It's a unique design so people can tell it's you that drew it.
and at other times I don't think that my work would be good enough to get stolen lols~
so I don't bother with the extra hardship of signing it.
plus I'm really bad at signing my signature.. it looks.. strange ^^;

MurasakiCrown
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailyse
I mainly do not sign my work, unless I was asked to do so.
But I do like to stamp my work, it's like a signature but isn't o.o''
It's a unique design so people can tell it's you that drew it.
and at other times I don't think that my work would be good enough to get stolen lols~
so I don't bother with the extra hardship of signing it.
plus I'm really bad at signing my signature.. it looks.. strange ^^;
Oh, I've been considering a stamp-like watermark for my art, but I can't really think of a good design o.e

I'm bad at doing my own signature too. Sometimes it looks good, most of the time, it doesn't XD.

Nightshade1988
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 AM

Yes, but I'm not worried about art theft. There are too many artists who are WAY better than I am, so I don't feel to paranoid about it, I'll be honest. I like to add my own name to things, but not out of vanity. Just habit, and tradition. Most artists sign their work in some way or form.

Sikurri
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 AM

Always.
Even if there's no chance of art theft, the signature is the only thing that really proves you're the true artist to the piece. x3

Mimi Lara
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 04-07-2008, 03:32 AM

I sign every bit of art I do...but especially if its anything that took me a long time to do. However I always try and find a way to hide it within the drawing itself so people can not later remove it and claim it as there own.

Cloud of Dawn
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Cloud of Dawn

Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 AM

Yush, I do. For my art I do on a tablet or is scanned, I draw a little cloud.

It's just something I do for fun.

Six
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-12-2008, 04:09 AM

I normally just write my initials and the time I finished.
More for personal reference than anything for I hardly ever publish.

Sriae
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Sriae Send a message via MSN to Sriae

Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Depends. Is it just a crappy doodle that I don't give a beep about, or is it some completed piece that I might care about?

Most of the time, I forget. 8D

kiaen
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-17-2008, 01:11 PM

I sign all commissions. I haven't a single work I like enough to put a watermark on yet though X_x but my signature's not like my real name or anything. it's just four random letters xD