Precarious Fool
Are you kitten me right meow?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:47 PM

Roland smiled up at Alexi, they had done it. They had a place, even if it was so structured, so... well, he didn't know how to describe it. He didn't care what he had to do, whatever it took, he would make it work so they were safe.

"I'll assume that you would like housing together..." The mayor shuffled through some more papers on his desk, frowning. "We've had a lot of people come into the city lately... Though I believe we have something that will work well enough." He handed Roland a slip of paper with an address on it. "It's an apartment, quite near where you both will work." The mayor smiled and stood to shake Alexi's hand. He was willing to accept Roland, at least a bit, but he planned to keep an eye on him quite closely. It wasn't long before they were ushered from his office.

"We did it!" Roland said with a smile, squeezing Alexi's hand. "Let's go see our new home..."

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 05-25-2016, 08:01 PM

"Home..." Alexi said with a smile as they left the office. He knew it would be an up hill battle, especially for Roland. But they were together and they were safe. He gave Roland's hand a squeeze as they walked up the street to find their apartment. Alexi had set Lucius down. Lucius runs ahead on the sidewalk laughing. Alexi smiled watching the young mutant. He was glad that Lucius had found this place.

Precarious Fool

Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 PM

Roland worked hard to ignore the stares as he walked through the streets, even from people he was pretty sure were human. Of course they would recognize his face, he had stood beside his father during those horrible speeches, a silent supporter for all to see. How long would it take for them to trust him? If that say ever came, that is. Despite that he wouldn't allow his mood to turn, they had a place, jobs, a way to survive, even if just for now, before the wickedness of his father and people like him found them.

He scanned the buildings and looked at the paper in his hands. They passed a grocers, the name matched the one scribbled down on the page, his new job, he assumed. How his father would fume to know he would be a stock boy! It was just a few more blocks before they reached a tall, grey brick building, similar ones surrounding it. They had passed other ones, nicer, more ornate, as well as few large houses as they walked, but Roland didn't care, he didn't need all that. "This is it..." He said with a smile, running up to the door and throwing it open. The apartment they were assigned, '413', he figured that must be on the fourth floor. There was no elevator in sight, nothing really, a clean but nearly vacant entry way, one wall lined with shiny, metal mailboxes.

"I was told you'd be arriving here." A man stood at the top of the first landing of the nearby steps. "Come, I'll show you to your new place." Roland took the steps two at a time, excited to see what they would call home. In his excitement he didn't even check to make sure Alexi and Lucius were following. Four flights of steps later and a short journey down a clean, freshly-painted, white hall, they were at the door of apartment 413. The man handed Roland two keys, a wary look on his face. "We don't want any trouble here." Roland only nodded, not sure anything he said would make them trust him.

Unlocking the door he pushed it open, the smell of fresh paint filling the space. It wasn't a large place, opening into a medium size room, a window opposite the door. It was sparsely furnished and free of decoration, nearly everything white and basic. To the right of the door was a wall, several hooks to hand coats, the left opened into what he assumed was the living area, a basic white couch, chair, and coffee table was the only furniture. The kitchen beside that, a bar with two white stools, white cabinets and appliances, a matching table with two chairs under the window.

The long wall to the right had three doors on it, he pushed them all open, one a small bathroom, clean and white like the rest of the place. The other two were bedrooms, one quite small, smaller than the bathroom back at his father's home, with a small bed, covered with fresh linens, and a side table with a lamp on it. The second bedroom was a bit larger, but not much, a double bed, two end tables and lamps. A closet stood open, it wasn't much but since they had nothing, what did they need all the space for?

"Well, welcome home." Roland said with a grin, they would make this work, it was clean, and they had enough space.

---------- Post added 05-25-2016 at 05:51 PM ----------

[[OOC; Sorry it's so long, and I hope you don't mind me describing the apartment.]]

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 AM

(OOC: That's alright.)

Lucius runs into the apartment once Roland has unlocked the door. He's very excited. He goes off to find the bedroom. There are two bedrooms. There are two bedrooms. The first one turns out to be the larger one. It has a good sized closet, a dresser, and a queen size bed. The second one is slightly smaller. It has a slightly smaller closet, a dresser, and a twin sized bed. Lucius gasped when he realized this would be his room. That he would finally have a bed. He had never had a bed before.

"I have a bed!" He hollers from the bedroom. He had been carrying the bag with the blankets in it. He takes out the ones he had used at the cabin. He was going to put them on the bed when he realized they were a bit dirty. He puts them back in the bag. He didn't want to get his new bed dirty.

Alexi had been walking around the apartment when he heard Lucius shout. He couldn't help but smile. He found their washer and dryer. They had even been giving some laundry detergent. He would have to figure out how to wash their things. The fridge had some basics in it. Though he knew they would have to go to the grocery store they had seen and get food later on. It wasn't much, but it was theirs. He went over and hugged Roland. He was just so happy right now.

Precarious Fool

Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 AM

Roland smiled and leaned against Alexi, happy for a moment that they were safe, and had a place to live. He only hoped that he wouldn't ruin it for all of them. Pulling away from Alexi, he looked down at the paper in his hand, the location of their new jobs scrawled under the address of the apartment. "We should check out where our new jobs will be, see when we need to work..." He didn't want to risk everything by missing work. Looking around the apartment he wondered if they would be able to get... something, anything, to add some colour to it. It seemed so bland, everything white and smooth.

"Let's start with your new job, and Lucius as well... It sounds interesting." Roland squeezed Alexi's, he was too happy to even worry much right now. He left behind all the stuff they had brought with them and stood near the door, waiting for them to be ready. He held the paper out to Alexi, the address of the community gardens scrawled on it. "Lead the way."

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM

"Come on Lucius!" Alexi called. The young mutant came running out of his room. He jumped into Alexi's arms. "We're going to check out the gardens."

"Awesome!" Lucius said with a grin.

Alexi took Roland's hand as the three head out. Soon Alexi puts Lucius down. The young mutant runs a bit ahead.

Kayla couldn't believe her eyes. Roland and her had been friends in elementary school. She would have never guessed that he would have ended up here. She had become a mutant in the middle of fifth grade. She had lilac skin and slightly darker hair. Her eyes were pale blue.

"Roland!" She called out.

Precarious Fool

Old 05-27-2016, 02:19 AM

Roland kept his head down as they walked, avoiding the glares from people as they passed. He needed to prove that he wasn't like his father, he would work hard, keep to himself, and soon they would grow to trust him. As long as his father didn't show up, that is. If he did it would all be over. At least he had Alexi to help him get through this.

Someone calling his voice pulled him from his negative thoughts. "Do I..." He began, cutting off as he looked at the girl calling his name. She looked familiar, at least a bit... but he didn't really know any other mutants besides Alexi and Lucius. "Kayla?" He asked, recognition filling him. She looked so much the same, aside from well... the purple skin, which was interesting, and pretty, and he was intrigued by it. "How have you been?" He asked with a smile, he should have introduced Alexi and Lucius, but in his excitement he forgot about them standing beside him.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-04-2016, 11:27 PM

"I'm doing great." Kayla said with a huge smile. She was very glad to see that Roland had gotten away from his father. She knew from the first time she had met him that he wasn't really like his father. Even though he had been going to anti-mutant rallies from a very young age. If she were honest with herself she had had a crush on him when they were younger. He had always been good looking. "How have you been?"

Precarious Fool

Old 06-05-2016, 02:06 AM

Roland forced a smile, "Oh well... you know. Father is well..." He struggled to find the right words to describe the situation. "It doesn't matter much, does it? What brings you here?" Well, he figured probably because she was a mutant now, but it never hurt to ask. He had a ton of questions he'd like to ask, but they'd probably be a bit rude. He noticed Lucius and Alexi out of the corner of his eye. "Oh! These are my friends Alexi and Lucius." He said with a smile, motioning towards the two of them. It was surprising to see anyone he knew here, he thought he'd mostly be on his own. Well, except for Alexi, who he'd never be able to do this without.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 02:15 AM

(OOC: Did you notice you are on the front page for the new contribution item?)

"Safety mostly. I ran away from home the night I developed my color. At the time I didn't know what my power was, I do now of course. I wandered around a lot and then happened upon this place." She said with a smile. She could sense that something bad was going on involving Roland's father. But she wouldn't ask. She honestly didn't care one lick for that evil man. She smiled when Roland introduced Alexi and Lucius. "It's nice to meet you. My name is Kayla."

Alexi smiled a bit. He was relieved that Roland had finally introduced them. "It's nice to meet you. How do you know Roland?" He was curious more then anything. He rustled Lucius' hair as the boy stood very close to him.

"We were in elementary school together." Kayla said with a smile. "So where are you three off to?"

Precarious Fool

Old 06-05-2016, 02:29 AM

[OOC; I did! Pretty spiffy. <3]

Roland nodded, not sure what else to say in reply. He wondered how people got their mutant powers so suddenly. Did Alexi know? He had always been afraid to bother him, but now Alexi might be more open.

"Oh, well we're off to see where we will work..." That thought didn't really sit well with him, he was sure he was capable of contributing to more than just stock at a store. Why she he be punished for his father? How could he prove himself? At least Alexi would be able to interact more, and had a more important job.

No, he shouldn't complain, at least they had a place to live, and were together. As long as it stayed that way. "Do you know the way to uh... Meyer Grocery?" It was around here somewhere, but he'd rather not wander around looking.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 03:00 AM

"I was just headed there myself." Kayla said with a smile. "Is that where you will be working? Will you all be working?"

"No Lucius and I will be working at the public gardens."

"Oh that's wonderful. Follow me and I'll show you to the grocery store." She was happy to have ran into Roland. None of this could be easy for him. "I started out working in the grocery store stocking shelves myself." She said as they walked up the street.

Precarious Fool

Old 06-05-2016, 11:28 AM

Roland followed Kayla, his head down as he walked. It seemed like every time they passed someone, they recognized him... did that many people follow everything his father did? Had his father already gone out there and said he was missing? He wouldn't be surprised if his father claimed his was kidnapped by mutants and use it against them. That would make an even bigger mess of everything.

"I'd rather be doing something more useful..." Roland grumbled as they made their way down the street. What he assumed was the grocery store came into view. The mayor had said it wasn't far, so at least he could walk to work and it wouldn't take too long.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 04:26 PM

"You'll work up to bigger things. If you have a trade you want to learn I'm sure there would be somebody who could teach you. I know that's how I moved up." She said opening the door for them as they got to the store.

"Kayla I was wondering when you would show up." Mr. Robertson was an elderly mutant.

"Hey Mr. Robertson. I hope I didn't worry you." Kayla said with a smile. "Oh this is Roland. He'll be working for you starting tomorrow. Roland this is Mr. Robertson he's the owner of this fine establishment."

Mr. Robertson comes out from behind the counter. "It's a pleasure to meet you Roland. The mayor informed me you would be working for me." He held out his hand to Roland.

Precarious Fool

Old 06-05-2016, 10:50 PM

Roland eyed Mr Robertson suspiciously. How did the man really feel about having the son of the biggest Anti-Mutant campaign in the country working for him? He may just be acting nice while the others around... hopefully that wasn't the case. Pasting on a smile, he shook the mans hand. "You as well, sir." He looked around the store, it was larger than he expected, he almost thought it would be a small mom and pop store, not something quite so large. At least he would hopefully be kept busy, and not have to interact with customers too much.

Kayla's earlier words were still going around in his head, she had said he could work to get a better job. Yet he wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life. Maybe Alexi would be able to help him figure it out. He couldn't wait until they could go home and talk. Home. It felt strange to think that he had a home with Alexi now, and Lucius too.

His stomach growled, it was getting time for dinner, and he had no idea what they'd eat. He thought about the cash in his pocket, since they had jobs, it surely would okay to spend some. "Is there a good place to get a meal around here?" He was caught up in the newness of all, not realizing he was al but ignoring Alexi at times, and that he had forgotten about seeing where Alexi and Lucius would be working.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-06-2016, 01:38 AM

"My wife runs the cafe a few blocks over." Mr. Robertson writes down the address. "I would highly recommend the shrimp and grits." He said handing Roland the slip of paper.

Kayla is walking the aisles shopping. She knows that Roland would probably be suspicious of Mr. Robertson's friendliness. But she knew it was true. Mrs. Robertson was a human. The two of them had been married for years.

Alexi had picked up Lucius. He just watched Roland interact with Mr. Robertson. The older mutant seemed very kind. He hoped that it was not a lie. Roland could use some more people in his corner.

Precarious Fool

Old 06-06-2016, 12:14 PM

A cafe? That was what he needed right now, some warm food and a few minutes to relax. His body, mostly his stomach which growled at him, reminded him that he had eaten little in the past few days. Perhaps he would binge now, like always, until he was sick, then go back to it. It wasn't healthy, but he couldn't control his appetite. At least he was eating something.

Along with the hungry, he hands shook, reminding him how long it had been since he had taken one of the pills. He had hoped to go all day, to stay distracted enough to not need them. It wouldn't do for the people around here to think he was a drug addict. He managed to control the shaking enough to take the slip of paper from Mr. Robertson and mumble a thanks.

"Kayla?" Roland called out, needing to get away from his new boss before he noticed the trembles, the light sweat that seemed to break out on his forehead, and the dark circles under his eyes. "Come with us to the cafe?" He had wandered the aisles until he found her. Hopefully Alexi wouldn't be too upset that he invited her, but she had been so helpful already.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 PM

"I would love to join you. Just let me pay for my stuff." She said bringing a basket up to the counter. She noticed his trembling and was worried about him. She wouldn't pry though. She pays for her stuff.

"I thought we were going to see the gardens." Lucius said from Alexi's arms.

"We can do that after we eat." Alexi said with a smile. He was just glad Roland wanted to actually eat.

Precarious Fool

Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 PM

Roland left the shop and looked around, trying to figure out the way. He could see the right street and hurried down it. The address proved he was going in the right direction and he felt good about managing to figure it out on his first day. He waited for the rest of the group to catch up.

He was trying to ignore the apprehension he felt, he wasn't ready to start a new job tomorrow, to do all of this stuff. It didn't help that his hands continued to shake and he wanted to take another pill. Or have a drink. Would they have a decent store around here where he could buy it? Not that he should be spending money on that, he didn't know how much they'd be paid, and the apartment needed some things. Plus, they all would need clothes, after food that was their next important purchase. Maybe over the meal they could find out some more info from Kayla about where to get what they needed.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-14-2016, 12:46 PM

Kayla was worried for her friend. She could tell something was bothering him. She knew this whole experience couldn't be easy for him.

Soon the three of them caught up to Roland who was waiting outside the restaurant. Lucius isn't overly happy. He had wanted to go to the gardens to see where he and Alexi would be working. It wasnt fair in his mind. Roland had said they would go to the gardens after the grocery store.

Precarious Fool

Old 06-15-2016, 12:39 PM

Roland balled his hands into fists to hide the trembling and watched as they all approached. "Ready?" He asked, but didn't wait before stepping inside, holding the door propped for them as well. He felt strange, being a human among a group of mutants and wondered if everyone in this town would recognize him quickly, or if it would slowly go around just who he was. No, he shouldn't think about that right now, they needed to eat and he wanted to enjoy his first time out with Alexi.

He kept his head down, hoping to avoid detection while they were led to a booth. It was just a classic cafe, like all the others he had visited before, though it was rather busy, which is what he was afraid of. He could almost believe everything was normal. A TV in the corner was running the news, mundane things about weather and things happening around the country. He sat down in the booth and opened up the menu, half covering his face hoping no one would notice him. "I'm starving." He mumbled, everything on the menu sound more delicious than the last. He reached into his pocket, pulling out a wad of bills and change. He had more cash in his dufflebag at their new place, but this should be enough at least for dinner and to grab a few groceries.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Lucius watched Roland. He was worried about him. Hebknew Alexi was worried as well. He hoped that when they got to the gardens they would have a bike with training wheels. He hasn't told the mayor that he didntbknow how to ride a brother or otherwise. What would he do all day if he couldn't help?

Precarious Fool

Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 PM

When the waitress came to take their order, Roland ordered a club sandwich, fries, and a soda, glad to have some junk like food in him at least for now. He didn't like the worried look on Alexi and Lucius's faces, why did they seemed so concerned? He was fine, sure his hands were shaking a bit, and he knew he was a bit antsy, but he was at least happy and about to eat, so didn't that count for something?

"What are you guys going to have?" He asked the other three at the table, the waitress standing there, waiting on their orders.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 06-17-2016, 12:08 AM

"I don't know." Lucius says. He really wasn't all that hungry himself. He was used to going without. He wasn't even sure what type of food he'd like.

"I'm going to have the veggie omelette and rye toast." Kayla said with a smile.

"I'll have chili cheese fries." Alexi said. "And pancakes for Lucius."

Precarious Fool

Old 06-17-2016, 11:10 AM

Hiding his hands under the table, he watched as the waitress gave their order to the kitchen. He gripped his thighs, trying to control the shaking. Hopefully with some food in him it would stop, his body wouldn't be begging him for another pill. If he could just go the rest of the day, get through the night, then maybe come morning he wouldn't need them. And yet... A groan escaped him before he could stop it. It wasn't loud, but he was sure they had heard it. "Uh... headache." He mumbled, trying to explain it, but he wasn't sure they'd buy it.

"How long have you been here, Kayla?" He asked, wanting to change the subject, get someone talking before he made a fool of himself. Their drinks were brought over and he was thankful for the straw, his hand shaking too much to bring the glass to his lips. The sugary drink did help a bit, and he drank more, pulling it through the straw until the glass contained only ice. Yes, he felt a bit better.