xXStarshipCandyLoveXx
Life's a lot like a box of choco...

Old 08-17-2012, 11:11 PM

Was there ever a book that you (had to) read that you thought was well-written and was good...but wasn't of your interest to where you wouldn't want to read it again?
I hate when that happens -- it makes me feel bad.
Like, wow!
This book is brilliantly written!
But it's just not my interest.

If that has ever happened to you, what was/were the book(s)?

For me, I have a list:
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
(I thought it was a very, very well-written book. but I just couldn't love it...if that makes any sense. The title couldn't be more perfect for the book and the story line was flawless.)
2. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golding
(There were so many metaphors and similes...like, it amazed me. The book was moving by how it was written, but I'd never read it again.)
3. The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
(I think the story line was really intriguing and it was so incredibly complex and interestingly written, but again, I wouldn't read it again.)

Last edited by xXStarshipCandyLoveXx; 08-17-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-18-2012, 02:14 PM

"A Lesson Before Dying" by Ernest Gaines

The novel is beautifully written, it's powerful, it's poignant, and it's the perfect book for students. There are just so many passages that you can take out of it that demonstrate the strength that an author can wield with their words. But it isn't for me. Since the book is so heavily focused on death, I had a difficult time getting through it. It wasn't something that I could become engrossed in.

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM

"Animal Farm" by George Orwell. I had to give the novella it's due. It's wonderfully written, and the messages are clear as day. But it just wasn't my kind of book.

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Taltos by Anne Rice. Granted, perhaps it was because I was relatively young and it went over my head. It was very well written but I quickly lost interest. Having read Memoirs of a Geisha, I did like it a lot and it DID pertain to my interest -at that time- but I know I wouldn't read it again now. It has parts that I would rather have just skimmed through instead of intently reading. There were parts that I didn't enjoy reading that portrayed the underbelly of human nature in an uncomfortable light.

Kin-Akari
Pheonix Lover

Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 AM

"A Separate Peace" by Knowles of the first name I can't remember. I loved the book, but I have no desire to ever pick it up again.

Also, Interview with the Vampire. I liked it, but I never want to read it again. I would have also said Queen of the Damned, but I didn't actually like that one.