Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 AM

Like most books I've read that aren't by Dean Koontz, A Clockwork Orange was given to me by my high school English teacher. I personally could not finish the book. I got to the point of rape and felt sick and had to put it down. It was way too, well, messed up, for lack of a better description. I liked it at first because it piqued my interest but as I kept reading I just started to become disgusted. What about you guys, have you ever read it?

Amo_Angelus
(・・^...
Send a message via MSN to Amo_Angelus

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 AM

I believe the point of that book was to give you an idea of the darkness within the human mind and what it is capable of...

Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 10-29-2007, 07:33 AM

I honestly wouldn't know. If that was the point it did a hell of a job. I may evetually read it on a later date, but as of now, I'll put it down.

helaia
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-02-2007, 04:29 AM

I've never read the book, but I've seen the movie. As far as I know, it's supposed to be a commentary about the social system and the teenage dilemma.

I've always wanted to read the book though, I've just been to busy.

But maybe if the book is to hard to get through, the movie might be better? It's honestly really good (even if confusing at times).

Spatterdash
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

Oh, I think it's a fantastic book. The language alone is impressive - it's hard to make up slang and have it sound convincing, but it works.
And yeah, it is pretty sick and shocking, which is the idea. It's not meant to be a comfortable read, it's about moral degeneracy and the dark side of human nature - nobody comes out of it looking good.
I'm not usually disturbed by fiction, mind. It's real occasions of the vileness humans can perpetrate that really unnerve me.

Clavietika Tres Ojos
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-03-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatterdash
Oh, I think it's a fantastic book. The language alone is impressive - it's hard to make up slang and have it sound convincing, but it works.
And yeah, it is pretty sick and shocking, which is the idea. It's not meant to be a comfortable read, it's about moral degeneracy and the dark side of human nature - nobody comes out of it looking good.
I'm not usually disturbed by fiction, mind. It's real occasions of the vileness humans can perpetrate that really unnerve me.

Well said. I read the book a couple of years ago and while I was fascinated by the language, it was a very disturbing book to read. I watched the movie after reading the book and to this day it is still one of most disturbing and unusual films I've ever seen.
(Thank you, Kubrick...and Burgess for that matter.)

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 PM

I love Anthony Burgess, but this isn't one of my favorite novels written by him. It's his most popular, but only because of the film that has come from it.

The book is really about dehumanation. Violence is a good part of that, but it's meant to be more of a contrast. It shows you one part of Alex's life, then shows you what he could have been. The book describes how a human being can be molded to another person's intents, and how outside forces bear influence on us.

Try reading The Wanting Seed or Earthly Powers instead. I've always enjoyed those writings more.

Raja-nime
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Raja-nime Send a message via MSN to Raja-nime

Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 AM

Ah, yes, I've heard about that book. It's about reparative therapy, right? Or something to that extent?

SexualPlacebo
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to SexualPlacebo Send a message via MSN to SexualPlacebo

Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM

I love A Clockwork Orange. I've got the movie and the book. It's so awesome. 8] Yeah, so it has rape and sick stuff. But it's well written and the language used is amazing. :3

Jack of Blades
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 AM

BLASPHEMY!

How dare ye set a book down simply because it has struck a nerve!? X3

The book, in my opinion, was one of the best I read.

Though it cannot compare to the greatness of 1984 ;P

Raja-nime
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Blades
BLASPHEMY!

How dare ye set a book down simply because it has struck a nerve!? X3

The book, in my opinion, was one of the best I read.

Though it cannot compare to the greatness of 1984 ;P
O.O Someone has nice taste in literature. I love that book!

Wrenja
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 PM

I own it, the script of the musical and a couple of copies of the vhs, and dvd xP

It's a really important piece of literature. The act you're speaking of is unsettling for sure, but when you read these books, you need to think and understand why the scene was put in there. It wasn't just for shock factor. You should really continue reading the book, because the turns that Alex makes in the end are very satisfying.

Don't let topics like rape limit your range, it's important to understand why topics like this are included in great art. It's good that you do find it unsettling and uncomfortable, but they are *trying* to evoke that in you, so you understand just exactly how messed up the situation it.

I have a feeling you are still a bit young, and find these topis still greatly taboo, but breaking through that taboo and not shilding yourself with it will make you a more well rounded person in the end, because you'll have a greater understanding of the world.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja-nime
Ah, yes, I've heard about that book. It's about reparative therapy, right? Or something to that extent?
I suppose that's one interpretation, but it really isn't a main theme in the text. What Alex experiences is more along the lines of aversion therapy.

Aisha Woku
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 11-09-2007, 07:21 AM

I’ve never read it. I started to watch the movie adaptation because I heard people say it was good. Yeah, not sure why they thought that. >.- I couldn’t finish the movie and I’m definitely not interested in reading the book.

passiveexplosion
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM

While it was a tad difficult to get my teeth into - more because of the language than the disturbing scenes, I'm a big fan of A Clockwork Orange. While I have not seen the film, I can't imagine it working nearly as well. It is clearly Burgess' intriguing language that kept it, for me at least, from crossing the boundary between 'dark' and plain disturbing.

That said, I'm not sure I'm of a suitable maturity to fully appreciate the book. I get the feeling the reader was supposed to nod approvingly or something at the last chapter - that Alex has grown up, and somehow this makes everything better. I, however, felt it was rushed, cheesy and beyond all else a disappointment at such a bland ending.

Eileanora
'heaven is the feeling i get in ...
Send a message via AIM to Eileanora

Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 PM

i don't see how you couldn't keep from watching the film. as soon as the music started, i was immediatly hooked and couldn't stop watching it. sure, i understand somewhat how some people might not be able to take the graphic content and action, but not everything in life is sugarcoated.

8bit Girls Bravo
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to 8bit Girls Bravo

Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 PM

One of my favourite books, ever.
Anthony Burgess is a fantastic writer.
Although I can definitely understand why certain people would be turned off by it, I strongly suggest you try to make it through. It's well worth it.

Raja-nime
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-12-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja-nime
I suppose that's one interpretation, but it really isn't a main theme in the text. What Alex experiences is more along the lines of aversion therapy.
See, the thing is that I really view the two as one in the same thing. Both have the capacity to do mental harm to the person that undergoes them.

ciara cyanide
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 PM

I saw the movie because a friend told me that its a lot like my favorite movie, "Ichi the killer." It wasn't much like Ichi the killer but I still enjoyed it. It is a very
controversial movie and was withdrawn from its release in the U.K. in 1971. I would like to read the book to learn more about the plot and such but I can see why some people would find it disturbing. It a huge cult classic and even now people still talk about it.