t_4eva
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via Yahoo to t_4eva

Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 AM

I picked up this book at the start of the year, and even though the writing seemed a little more old fashioned than what I'm used to reading, it really sucked me in. Unfortunately it's now been sitting there on about chapter 7 waiting for me to pick it up, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and have time to read it! I would however like to discuss the book, and hopefully it'll inspire me to pick it up again and carry on! So if you've read or are reading "The Lovely Bones", write down your thoughts etc about it here!

Absinthe Ash
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Absinthe Ash Send a message via MSN to Absinthe Ash Send a message via Yahoo to Absinthe Ash

Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 AM

I have to say I was amazed at the entire book. It got ruined for me ahead of the ending [one girl decided to talk about it when I mentioned it and gave it away], but I read it either way. I can't say for sure where you are in the book if it's chapter 7, but I think you'll find it worth reading if you're into a third person type of view and don't mind some boring chapters here and there. The overall story is what kept me reading.
Also, there is supposed to be a movie coming out in 2009 I believe, and if you haven't finished it by then [hehe] then maybe the movie will suffice for what you haven't read.
Personally, I say give it a complete read. It is one of my favorite books to date. =]

t_4eva
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-11-2008, 02:16 AM

Awesome, thanks for that, Absinthe Ash, that's the general feel i get from it so far too - and I heard something about a movie - should be a good one i think! I must knuckle down and read it... AFTER the event has finished!!

Morien
*^_^*

Old 02-15-2008, 10:05 AM

I really enjoyed this book. I heard it read out loud on CD, actually... and it was really fascinating. I'd never heard of someone writing a story where the main character is already dead... and not only dead but not exactly a main character at all. It was really beautifully done. Nicely written, and just amazing.

I can't see how they'd do a movie without messing it up, so I hope they handle it delicately!

Altogether, a book that I'd definitely read again.

rampartte
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 PM

I found this book at my friends once and I only read through the first chapter. But I thought it was really thought provocative material. Maybe I'll pick it up again when I have the time!

gato
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-17-2008, 02:26 AM

I love it -- the prose is just lovely! :] One of my favorite quotes from the book is where Susie says, "They [the dead] are the air we breathe" or something along those lines.

I loved it so much that I actually bought it! :] I got it from the library and read it my freshmen year, but it was so good that I just had to buy it! Lol.

You should really finish it! :] The ending chapters are the best, in my opinion.

RogueShadow
Send a message via AIM to RogueShadow Send a message via MSN to RogueShadow

Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM

i read that book awhile back... i've long since turned it into a second hand book store for store credit (i don't have the room to house all of my books anymore so i had to get rid of some.)

i personally thought it was an okay book. (but i'm used to reading manga fantasy and vampire novels). i don't like the whole "rapist" thing... but i'm not really into that sort of thing.

overall it was cute and i'm glad that it did end happy, but unforunately it never really fully caught my attention. but rarely any book does these days...

bearysplash
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to bearysplash

Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 AM

Can someone say what that book is about? i really want to know. I want to read it. but if i doesn't sound to my liking than i won't.
But i've heard that it's a very good book from different forum sites.

kariwe
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM

I agree that it was an excellent book, and the idea that it is becoming a movie scares me a little. Books that get turned into movies are butchered in a way, and the people who see the movie who have never read the book don't know the complete story. However, Peter Jackson is an excellent director. Oh, and get this: as far as I know, they haven't picked an actor to play Samuel.

Fin Raziel
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 PM

I've never heard of it. It sounds kind of creepy...

t_4eva
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 AM

it does sound kind of creepy, and it is morbid in a way, but it's a captivating read *nods*

_citr0n
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 AM

I read this book two years ago. I thought it was kinda creepy how she's dead but watching what happens afterwards. Has anyone read the sequel, Lucky?

Petrakan
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 AM

A girl on my speech and debate team is doing "The Lovely Bones" as a Dramatic Interpretation. That is where you cut 10 minutes from a book and act it out in a competition. I never read it, but her ten minute speech is very disturbing.