22Tsuji22
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 AM

Once Upon a Time, A Retelling...
Here is a list of the ones that are out or soon to be out
Quote:

The Storyteller's Daughter
by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of The Arabian Nights, published September 2002)

Beauty Sleep
by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty, published

Snow
by Tracy Lynn (A Retelling of Snow White, published February 2003)

Midnight Pearls by Debbie Viguie (A Retelling of The Little Mermaid, published June 2003)

Scarlet Moon
by Debbie Viguie (A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, published April 2004)

Sunlight and Shadow
by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of The Magic Flute, published July 2004)

Spirited
by Nancy Holder (A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast, published November 2004)

The Night Dance
by Suzanne Weyn (A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, published November 2005)

Golden
by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of Rapunzel, published February 2006)

Water Song by Suzanne Weyn (A Retelling of The Frog Prince, published October 2006)

Before Midnight
by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of Cinderella, published March 2007)

The Rose Bride by Nancy Holder (A Retelling of The White and the Black Bride, published June 2007)

The Crimson Thread
by Suzanne Weyn (A Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, published June 2008)

Belle by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast, published November 2008)

The Wild Orchid
by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of the Ballad of Mulan, published February, 2009)

The Diamond Secret by Suzanne Weyn (A Retelling of Anastasia, published June 2, 2009)

Winter's Child by Cameron Dokey (A Retelling of The Snow Queen, to be published September 8, 2009)

Violet Eyes by Debbie Viguié (A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea, to be published February, 2010)
I recently just started reading these but I find these very fun and interesting to read! Has anyone else read any of these? Have you read them all, which are your favorites? Which ones do you think were flops?

I really really like Belle and Spirited...also The Night Dance, Snow, and The Storytellers Daughter. xxD Those are the only ones I have read so far I believe

Last edited by 22Tsuji22; 08-17-2009 at 03:10 AM..

white2fire
^_^

Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 PM

I have read The Storyteller's Daughter,Beauty Sleep, Snow, Midnight Pearls ,Sunlight and Shadow, Golden, Water Song , and Before Midnight so far. I rather enjoy the retellings of these classic fairy tales. I enjoy some more than others but that is to be expected with different writers. I might have read Spirited, but I'm not sure.
I'm currently reading The Rose Bride.
Thanks for the list. Now I can find them easier. XD

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM

Robin McKinley has a bunch of retellings out... there's

1. Rose Daughter (Beauty and the Beast)
2. Spindle's End (Sleeping Beauty)
3. Beauty (Beauty and the Beast)
4. Deerskin (Goatskin, or something)
5. The Outlaws of Sherwood (Robin Hood)
6. The Door in the Hedge (a variety of retellings)

Some of them can be quite dry reading, but once you shoulder on through them they're really quite good. ^__^ I'd pick Beauty and The Outlaws of Sherwood as the least-dry, with Spindle's End being just kinda wordy at parts, but not overly dry. If you're not a fan of dry reading, you might want to avoid Rose Daughter and Deerskin (even though I'm quite fond of the former). I've read them all, however, and I think they are all very good books. If you like fairy-tale retellings, I'd advise at least getting them out of the library and seeing how you like them. =D

And don't forget Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, which is a retelling of Cinderella. Loved that book as a kid, still love it now. Just DON'T watch the movie. Seriously, don't. It totally butchered everything about the book and left only the name in common with it. Ugh. *Mai shudders*

As for the list, the only one I've read on there is The Storyteller's Daughter. But thank you for listing these, I love fairy-tales and their retellings. =D

Last edited by Goblin Maiden; 08-18-2009 at 03:33 PM..

koshkatamara
Tamara

Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 PM

Ooooh, I love retellings of faery tails! I read only a few of these though.
I read:
Beauty Sleep
Belle
and
The Wild Orchid
I plan on reading more of those, but haven't done that yet. I think Wild Orchid might have been my favourite actually...