Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 AM

I bought this book in complete ignorance, I feel it important to point out. I need to google books, not just read the blurb!

Anyway, how many of you have read this book? What did you think? Did you/are you going to read the sequels?

(If you have read them, I'm curious. Are they better or worse?)

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 PM

I haven't read them yet, but I put them into my Kindle because they've been number one, two, three and four on the New York Times bestsellers list (number four being the Trilogy Boxed Set...). That said, my friend read the first one and said it was terrible.

The way he put it was modern day Twilight fanfic with sex. And he refused to read any of the other books.

I'm going to try reading them over the weekend and come up with my own conclusion. What do you think of it?

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 AM

Unfortunately your friend was mostly right about the Twilight thing....

My own personal opinion though is that EL James was a troll. Some things in that book you couldn't include accidentally.

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 PM

Weird. I've heard nothing but good things about it so far. 3 of my friends and my boyfriends mother are currently reading it, and saying it's prett good, and they have some sophisticated tastes.

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM

LOL so true to my word, I spent the weekend reading the first book. Kind of. I ended up skimming it because in my opinion it was really predictable, and really really slow. I was surprised to find out that Grey was a reference to the character's name, and not like different shades of grey, office life metaphor.

I'm going to have to agree with my friend here. I don't understand the hype. I don't understand why everyone's reading it on the train. I don't understand why it's number one, two, three, and four on the bestseller list. I'm going to finish the series because I don't like to leave series unfinished, but it's not up to the hype.

Better than Twilight, worse than most other books.

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM

I haven't read it. My aunt is addicted to the series and is actually re-reading them. My mum's planning on reading them. The fact I found out they were a Twilight fanfiction really put me off. In general I'm fine with smutty books, but no. Wasn't reading something based off of Twilight.

Obsidian Raven's Song
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM

The Twilight theory is actually completely right. The first book started as a Twilight erotic fanfiction but gained so much popularity that she changed it up slightly and published it. The original book became so popular that she made two sequels. Having said how popular it is, it should in no way be read for its literary value.

Fifty Shades of Grey is her first book and the writing shows it. It is choppy, jumps around, and is missing a lot of punctuation. There is no character development and the characters are wooden. They very much reflect the characters they're based on in that aspect. The second two books are an improvement over the first, but not by much.

I work for a large book retailer in Canada and I can say without a doubt the book is bought mostly by people (to be honest, usually single mothers) who do not read much in the first place. It is a book that is read solely as a guilty pleasure as opposed to a good read.

The Fifty Shades series is a (very softcore) erotica novel masquerading as fiction while not selling itself as such. In my opinion, there are many other books out there that are far better written on the same basic subject. Honestly, all Fifty Shades is is viral.

D.J. Dead
v.v

Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM

I am in the process of reading the last book. Honestly I think the books are okay, other then it is a very graphic romance novel, but it could be a lot worse. I didn't even know that it was a Twilight fanfiction, but now that I know this, I can see the parallels. I think that if the author would have spent a little more time working everything through, literary wise the book would be better to a degree. I have heard mixed reviews about the book, some people like it, others would like the books to flow a little more easier.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 AM

I read "Fifty Shades of Grey" and to tell you the truth it wasn't that great. A few years from now, people are going to forget about this series. I haven't read the rest of the books and am not planning to. I could feel that the author is craving for the type of sex life and fantasy illustrated in her books. Would I recommend the series to people? Honestly, no. There was too much hype and the writing itself could have been more fluid.

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 PM

Click me!

Okay, this might not be to everyone's taste, but I thought it was hilarious. It's a piss take of the book. I prefer this to the actual book.

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 PM

I don't want to buy 50 Shades of Grey because I object to the idea of a fanfiction being published. I know that there aren't any vampires/werewolves in it and that it is very different from Twilight, but the fact is that this story was originally using characters that weren't created by the author. EL James is making money off of Twilight and I don't think that's fair.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM

I heard on the radio that they might be making a movie out of the book. Who is going to watch that?

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 AM

I heard that it's just the author wanting to make a movie, and she's looking for a director and producer.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 AM

... There was a really funny video of someone reading a passage from this book out loud in a melodramatic, trollish way. It was amazing.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Have you seen this clip of Ellen "attempting" to record the audio book? It is hilarious...She even brings her own "toys" and gadgets.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 AM

I love it!

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM

I saw that, absolutely loved it!
The sound effects are the best parts.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM

Yeup yup. She is such a good role model in my honest opinion. Don't play with whips and chains children!

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 PM

There have been so many funny clips about this book. I encountered another funny one today. lol

xXStarshipCandyLoveXx
Life's a lot like a box of choco...

Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 AM

My friend and I were talking one day about books.
And then she asked me if I've read the 50 Shades Series yet.
Saying no, she said she hadn't either.
So that gave me an idea -- I bought the first book to try it out.
Gosh, I couldn't put the book down -- it was so good!
I finished it within a week (that's the fastest time I can complete a book around the size of the 50 Shades books) and hopped onto the second book.
Except the second book got kinda boring and it took me more than one week to read it.
But when I hit the middle, I went back to reading it at the same pace I read the first book.
I'm ALMOST done with the second book right now and can't wait to read the last book.
Let's just say that this book got me putting down the book every now and then to snap my fingers in a Z-Formation, crying, and wanting to throw the book across the room.
Yes, I understand that E.L. James isn't the best author, but I really like the whole story line.
Best erotica novel I have ever read, I'll say.

reddpop
weesnaw

Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
... There was a really funny video of someone reading a passage from this book out loud in a melodramatic, trollish way. It was amazing.
Could that be this?

-----

I've tried to read the first few chapters of 50 Shades of Grey. Not the whole book, though. Actually, I've grown to dislike it? Everyone on tumblr makes fun of the book, pfft. One thing that definitely got me to dislike it would be this post. I'm not 100% sure if it's true... but for now I'm just going to stay away from the book.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Red: LOL the video link you posted was hilarious. I almost spat out my tea haha

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 PM

I couldn't tolerate it. Couldn't finish the 5th chapter before I was hitting the person beside me (my partner).
I wanted to bang my head from all the mistakes they made from a business and law perspective (areas I'm involved in) and the weird way Christian talks. I'm around people from the upper ranks of money and society and no one talks like that.

I guess it's kind of meh for me from a personal perspective since a few aspects of the story (by story I mean things outside the sex scene) mirrors my life. And the sex scenes seem a little vanilla to me compared to what's out there. Rather just go read any good old fanfic out there.

demonchick
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Ok so I haven't read it but I know a lot of people who have and they never told me that it was like twilight. How is it a twilight fanfiction? I'm very curious. I really don't know if I should waste time reading what do you think I should do? Read it or not read it?

Yuuki Sena
Bookworm

Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codette View Post
Weird. I've heard nothing but good things about it so far. 3 of my friends and my boyfriends mother are currently reading it, and saying it's prett good, and they have some sophisticated tastes.
My mom and aunt are reading it and they too have 'sophisticated tastes'. My mom says it's stupid right now and my aunt loves it. So, I don't know what to think of it.