dragonshiner

Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 AM

Any other Wiccans/Pagans who are planning on celebrating Samhain in addition to Halloween?
I know I a ready to break out my tarot cards and do my Wheel of the Year reading. It generally covers overarching themes to come in the following year. I do it now because Samhain is the witch's new year :)
I might also do some crafty things. I just bought some air drying clay and am brainstorming about making some new trinkets for my altar.
Oh and of course my morning shower is going to be symbolic of "death" and starting fresh again.
I'm actually really excited this year.

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM

I'm not really Pagan, but my mom is and I've been raised with a lot of her holidays. ;) I'm not really sure how to appropriately celebrate Samhain, though. All I know is that usually at home we eat Chili, Cornbread and Pomegranates and light a few candles. I'm making chili today, but I can't seem to get any cornbread and I have no oven. I'll be eating pomegranates for a while, too, since they had a special 3/$5. But I can't light candles in my dorm or anything like that.

But it's always in my thoughts at this time of year. ^_^"

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 AM

Happy Witches' New Year!

There is no end the circle, no end. There is no end to life, there is no end.

Kiwi_x_Pop
The only way you can love me is ...
Send a message via MSN to Kiwi_x_Pop

Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 PM

^^ I'll be spending some time in meditation today, remembering all of those who have passed in my family. I may also pull out my tarot cards. <3

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 10-31-2010, 09:51 PM

Thinking of family today and trying to figure out how to weave my beliefs into the myriad otherness in my household. Lighting a candle tonight in honor of those who passed on in my family around sunset and sharing memories of them with my kids.

Kasumi Ocada
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘
Send a message via Yahoo to Kasumi Ocada

Old 11-01-2010, 01:14 AM

I'm not nearly as much of a pagan (or anything, really) as I used to be. Today was a very disappointing trick or treat with the kids and now I'm exhausted and can't wait until I can get some sleep. I have an exam in Japanese tomorrow and must spend the rest of the day working on ceramics projects. :(

The girls did express an interest in lighting a candle for the spirits of the dead, though...

KageShio
Warning: Unrestrained Audiophile

Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM

My small coven and I are not going to be able to actually celebrate Samhain until this next weekend, but I did some prayers, meditations and cleansing of my hearth and home. Unfourtunately, I was not able to visit the near-by cemetary. I love to walk among the really old graves, the ones where you can't even read the names, and give them marigolds on Samhain.

This weekend though we are having a large feast and a ritual in our not-so-traditional eclectic Wiccan way, squash, hearty bread, turkey, fall vegetables and moon cakes are all on the menu. I have so much cooking to do XD

KiwiRose
Matriarch

Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 PM

I can call myself truly Pagan, but it's always interested me. What can anyone tell me about Samhain?

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 PM

I'm embracing of all the holidays that fall around this time of year, so I'd like to wish you all a pleasant Samhain.

KageShio
Warning: Unrestrained Audiophile

Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM

I'd be delighted to help! Samhain literally translates to "Summer end", it is the end of the long days and begining of the long cold nights. It is traditionally accepted as the end of the year, November first, actually the second day of Samhain, being the beginning, and siginfies the end of the harvest.

It is the time of the death of the Green God, thus bringing winter until he resurects in the spring, and the time in which the Goddess takes the wise, powerful guise of the Crone. It is said that because of the death of the God, the plants and some of the animals, that the veil between the worlds of the living and dead are thinned

Many celebrate by having bonfires, feasts, and giving offerings to the ancestors as well as the God and Goddess. Grains, apples, grapes, cider, wine, gourds and pomegranates are all common foods and offerings. As with most Pagan and Wiccan holidays, it is traditionally celebrated for atleast 48 hours, from early in the day on October 31st to late into the night of November 1st.

Keep in mind this is just a very general veiw on Samhain, Pagans, Wiccans, and eclectics such as myself all see different meanings to this holiday, depending on what origins they know and beliefs they follow. I highly suggest looking it up on your own if you are really interested, there is an endless tome of knowlege on how and what the beliefs of earth religions are.