Shloobi
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 PM

I heart Miyazaki films, so I thought i'd set up this thread to talk to people about them ^^
So which one or ones are your faves and why? I'd love to know ^^
Personally I like The Cat Returns, Spirited Away, Laputa and My Neighbour Totoro very much =3

Shloobi
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Also feel free to recommend any other anime films to me, I lvoe hearing about new stuffs :3

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 04-08-2007, 09:25 PM

-sigh- double-posting is against the rules. Please refrain from doing it in the future.

Raphael
*^_^*

Old 04-08-2007, 10:01 PM

I like Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke.

I would defiantly recommend Princess Mononoke, it's excellent. <3

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-08-2007, 10:06 PM

I'm the only person I know who dislikes Miyazaki films... The Cat Returns is the only one that has any appeal for me...

Zurie
ʘ‿ʘ
n/a

Old 04-09-2007, 02:52 AM

• I love Miyazaki's movies. All of them, but My Neighbor Totoro, The Cat Returns, and Porco Rosso seem to make me gigglesqueal the most, but I still love Spirited Away because it was my first Miyazaki, and Howl's Moving Castle because that's what my boyfriend and I went to see in theaters on our first date. <3

I just really love that there's so much effort put into the animation of the characters. It's the little details that make me love it. Like in Spirited Away, when Chihiro puts her yellow shoes back on to go meet Haku somewhere one morning after living at the bathhouse for a while, as she's about to run off after getting her shoes on, she does the little toe tap to make sure that the shoes are on. Things like that prove that they put a lot of effort into making each individual character feel like they could be real people/animals/creatures that you could find in every day life.

::geek squeal flail:: <333333333

Aeris
Mistress of Materia!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 AM

I adore Howl's Moving Castle. It's by far my favorite Miyazaki film. It moved me to tears, and I was so happy it ended actually happy. XD;;

Shloobi
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegretto
-sigh- double-posting is against the rules. Please refrain from doing it in the future.
well i didn't know so sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurie
  • I love Miyazaki's movies. All of them, but My Neighbor Totoro, The Cat Returns, and Porco Rosso seem to make me gigglesqueal the most, but I still love Spirited Away because it was my first Miyazaki, and Howl's Moving Castle because that's what my boyfriend and I went to see in theaters on our first date. <3

I just really love that there's so much effort put into the animation of the characters. It's the little details that make me love it. Like in Spirited Away, when Chihiro puts her yellow shoes back on to go meet Haku somewhere one morning after living at the bathhouse for a while, as she's about to run off after getting her shoes on, she does the little toe tap to make sure that the shoes are on. Things like that prove that they put a lot of effort into making each individual character feel like they could be real people/animals/creatures that you could find in every day life.

::geek squeal flail:: <333333333
Spirited away was my first miyazaki too =3 and you're right about the attention to detail, it's amazing ^^

Last edited by Sizzla; 08-03-2009 at 07:13 PM..

shutterslut
Vag Cat

Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM

I love Miyazaki films.
But I'm not like crazyobsessed over them.

My favorites are probably..

Nausicca of the Valley of Wind.
My Neighbor Totoro.
Spirited Away.
Howl's Moving Castle.
And Princess Mononoke.

Not in that order though xD;

He makes most of the anime films I like that don't come from an actual series.

Skada
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Skada

Old 04-10-2007, 05:29 PM

Yay!! ^_____^ I'm a big Miyazaki fan, my everyday purse has a Totoro on it, as does my make-up bag, and I have quite the collection of Miyazaki plushies (three Totoro, a Fox Squirrel, Gigi, and a couple other random things...). I want one of those J-List Totoro hoodies, but they're kinda expensive @____@;;

My favorite film is probably Kiki's Delivery Service, it always makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I also really enjoy My Neighbor Totoro, again for the warm and fuzzy feelings. The film story I have to hand to Whispers of the Heart... I can watch it again and again and get totally carried away in the story of it.

But Howl's Moving Castle has a very special place in my heart because the Diana Wynne Jones book is one of my total favorites. The movie left out some of my favorite bits, but overall, I thought it was a wonderful adaption. Sometimes when movies try to follow the book exactly, and then have to cut out bits because of length it seems like a bad patchwork. Miyazaki went against convention, and just rewrote bits to make it work for the screen, and that was something I really really respected and enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shloobi
Spirited away was my first miyazaki too =3
My first was Princess Mononoke

Last edited by Sizzla; 08-03-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Wisty
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Wisty

Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Mononokeeee *bites* That was an awesome movie. Very different from his other waffy ones. Mononoke&Spirited Away are my favorites. I like Howl's Moving Castle only because of Howl himself. 8D He's so cute.

morph
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM

Spirited Away is the only film of his that i've seen but i love it. i'd love to see more of his movies.....

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-11-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisty
MVery different from his other waffy ones.
what exactly are his "waffy" ones?

kafine
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Ghibli films in general are great.

I love Howl's Moving castle, it's so pretty :o

naruru
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-11-2007, 03:29 PM

I love his films! I want to see the old ones but a lot of them are not in the U.S. yet. Disney's getting them little by little. =D

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 PM

I love all his films. I remember watching My Neighbor Totoro in daycare when I was about 6 or 7 and loving it (the old dub, of course). Then I heard about Princess Mononoke and freaking missed it in the theatres and had to wait FOREVER for my video store to get it in and I finally watched it and loved it and spent $30 on the DVD (back when they were expensive xD). I saw Spirited Away in theatres and like everyone in there came out teary eyed. Such a great movie. After that was when they FINALLY started reissuing his films on DVD, and then I took my now-girlfriend on our first date to Howl's Moving Castle. In order, I'd have to say my favorites are:

1. Castle of Cagliostro -- best Lupin film ever and just plain fun.
2. Spirited Away
3. Porco Rosso
4. My Neighbor Totoro
5. Princess Mononoke
6. Kiki's Delivery Service
7. The Cat Returns
8. Howl's Moving Castle
9. Whisper of the Heart
10. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
11. Naussica of the Valley of the Wind (The manga was OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAND times better)

You know ... actually, I can't really put them in any order. It just depends on my mood.

Buckwheat Noodles
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via Yahoo to Buckwheat Noodles

Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM

I adore Miyazaki's films... and stuff by Studio Ghibli in general, really. My first was.... Princess Mononoke, I think. Then it all went downhill from there. I've seen... *Counts* Mononoke, Kiki, HMC, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Nausicaa.. and at least one or two others. I've also seen some of his short little films, as well as Graveyard of the Fireflies.

I think Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the sky are my favorite... followed closely by Spirited Away and Nausicaa. I badly want to see Whispers of the Heart and the Cat Returns, though.

EmoKillerLol
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to EmoKillerLol

Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 AM

Spirited Away <3
i love that movie
i bought the dvd ;D
i watch it whenever i have free time ^^
i never get tired of watching it
xD

dhaithi

Old 04-12-2007, 05:39 AM

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds was my first introduction to Miyazaki. It came at a time where I knew absolutely no Japanese, and I rented the movie and it was in Japanese with no subtitles. But I watched the whole thing, cried over it, and loved it while not understanding a single word while doing so. ;D Though Vic is right in saying the manga is a thousand times better than the movie.

Sen to Chihiro (Spirited Away) is probably hands down my favorite Miyazaki film. If only because it feels like such a fairytale, Miyazaki style, and I absolutely loved it. Howl's Moving Castle was a fun watch, and my having read the book prior to it did not keep me from enjoying the film at all.

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 AM

• While I enjoy watching the films...I'm going to have to admit, for some reason, sometimes I get bored watching some of them. They're really sweet stories and they don't have tricks to razzle dazzle you. The animation is lovely, and like mentioned earlier, small details the characters do just amaze me. The music is nice. But sometimes they drag, and I have to move around to wake myself up. ^^;

Starshine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 AM

I love Totoro, its my favourite children's film, so adorable :D I really like Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away too. They are films you can watch over and over again.

EmoKillerLol
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to EmoKillerLol

Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 AM

lolz
xD

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine
They are films you can watch over and over again.
that is one of the really nice things about miyazaki, it seems like you can never watch them too much.

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-13-2007, 04:34 AM

I can barely get through one showing of any of the films. It seems like it's always the same story with the same main character to me... No one shares my opinion though, and I'm OK with that ^.^;

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-13-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangacatgirl
I can barely get through one showing of any of the films. It seems like it's always the same story with the same main character to me... No one shares my opinion though, and I'm OK with that ^.^;
i think miyazaki does often reuse ideas. both kiki and chihiro were around 10, but both had major differences. kiki was very proactive in her future, where chihiro simply fell into it on accident. naussicaa is a lot like san in mononoke, but naussicaa wants things to change for the better while san wants them to stay the same. i think one of the advantages to having similar characters in different movies is that we kinda get to see what the same person would be like under different circumstances. like, would kiki act more like chihiro if she didn't have magic?