Alura--x--Uneii
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 PM

I wonder if there are any of these. Most of the guides I know of are done by americans or something. I mean I would think getting tips from an actual anime artist would be more helpful, ('course I don'tr understand Japanese) but still...

Omi
Artistic Angel

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM

I'd recommend the "How to Draw MANGA" series- most were originally written/illustrated by Japanese manga artists and translated into English. A few of the books go more into depth about how to actually draw in the style while other books delve into more about how to create comics/stories.

Now, if you're interested more in making manga/comics, I also recommend:
  • "Pen & Ink" released by DMP;
  • "How to Draw Shojo Manga" released by Tokyopop;
  • "Shojo Beat's Manga Artist Academy" released by VIZ;
  • "Shojo Manga Techniques: Drawing Basics" and "Shojo Manga Techniques: Writing Stories"- both released by DMP;
All written by manga artists and some of the above contain neat interviews with popular manga artists like Watase Yuu, Oh! Great, Yasahiro Nightow, Satoshi Shiki, and others.

Last edited by Omi; 01-25-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Alura--x--Uneii
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Awesome thank you xD

----------

Although should I bother persuing them? Since I was told guidebooks I should stay away from O.o

Omi
Artistic Angel

Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alura--x--Uneii View Post
Awesome thank you xD

----------

Although should I bother persuing them? Since I was told guidebooks I should stay away from O.o
Personally, I don't think its particularly bad to pursue them since they can provide a good starting point to understanding the style itself. Some can also have good tips, tricks, and other resources in them that may not be easily found elsewhere --- but it definitely shouldn't be the only guide or means to learn comics/art/etc. you should explore or depend on.

Alura--x--Uneii
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 AM

Oh okay.

Freiheitsflugel
The Tokio Hotel worshipper...

Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 AM

Guidebooks are always the best way to start off. I refer to them for help and tips ^^

Spaventapasseri
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM

I personally would never use a guide book. They stunt you technically so much. You can't really grow using them. If you choose to use them, I'd focus less on what they're telling you to draw and more on what they're talking about technique wise. You can only learn so much from "draw a circle, then draw a cross" etc. etc.

WishingMoon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM

I agree with the never using them as a general rule how to manga's are the worst thing for artists EVER. It isn't how you build up a good memory or technical skill. The only use is after years of life drawing maybe using them to understand manga style, not before AFTER!

fishyfey
*^_^*

Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 PM

I couldn’t draw for beans 10 years ago. Then I started drawing anime style (I used how to books, copied pictures, made up my own characters and style) and I was HORRIBLE. But, eventually after a lot of persistence, failures/successes, frustration, and a million sheets of paper, I got better. Then I went to school for art and got better and learned the technical skills.

It doesn’t matter what resources you use. If it helps you, then use it.

Life drawing classes and traditional art classes are highly recommended, but follow your heart and make art however you enjoy. Stick to it and you will learn the skills you need.

sam-deanwinchester
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 PM

not to offend.

whether it's from a china, canadian, south korea. Anyone can teach you anime/manga regardless where anime/manga came from. You just need a teacher who has the experience. I agree with some of these people. You should learn what the person talking about then following there guides. The best way to learn is your way and no artist can't say yoru way is the wrong way. Everyone learns differently.

Last edited by sam-deanwinchester; 07-14-2012 at 11:27 PM..