WeirdKatKoolio

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Um soooo...
I've been doing manga for a long time now but I can't do hair! I know right! It's like impossible for me. Can I have some help? Tips and tricks? Pleaseys!!!!

nyx<3<3
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM

i would try tracing hair from other manga till you get the hang of it. then after that try and make up your own and if that dose not work out for you try buying a basic guide to drawing manga. or watching you tube videos on how to draw manga hair for men or women<3 i hope i been some help to you

Tobi
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 AM

Think about how hair moves on a person. If you tuck your hair behind your ear, how does it fold around it? How is the hair divided, down the middle, to the side or maybe it is all pushed back into a ponytail. I think if you want to be able to draw hair properly, look at your own hair and understand how it moves when tampered with into different styles. And once you understand that, simplify and takes those lines of action to make the hair truely alive on the piece you're making.

Have fun, and I hope this helps!

sam-deanwinchester
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 AM

the best way to learn hair is to draw from oberservation. Get a live model and draw her or his hair. Practice makes perfect.

Teiaiel
Rogue Chemist

Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Drawing hair has always been my forte and I think it's best to first decide on the level of detail you want. Also, you want to sketch out the head/skull on which the hair will be sitting. I always start with the bangs and hair closest to the face and work my way outward. You have to adjust for the characters movement as well because the hair will flow with whatever motion they're making. To start off I suggest drawing a still person so that you get a sense of how hair falls naturally and then moving on from there.

Studying how other artist do it is a good way to go about it too. Observation is the key to good drawing! My hair styles often consist of high detail, every strand is outlined and shaded according to how it sits. I've also done some less detailed work just to save time. If you want you can check my DA and see how I've done it

Just remember that it's your picture and you have full creative license over it so you could make their hair completely unrealistic and still make it work for your picture. Just go with the flow of your current project ^^

Last edited by Seridano; 01-02-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Lilthian

Old 09-24-2012, 12:20 AM

Hair is always the second-favorite part of the body I like to draw. Just think of it like a layer on a bald head. It's like thousands of miniscule strings, but manga just simplifies that.

It's very loose (unless, if the character's hair has gel and it has some sort of solid shape).

You can try to practice by observing photographs of wind blowing through hair, or look at manga and try to practice on your own. That's all I can give.