For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 PM

What's your Go To Genre, if any? For example, if a sports anime comes out, are you guaranteed to watch it? Or maybe shoujo is the be all end all for you? Gundams might be the only genre for you! What genre really attracts you the most? And if there's no specific one, tell us the various ones that draw you in. Or even which ones you absolutely will not touch. Let's just throw it out there.

To be honest, for me, I'm guaranteed to watch at least a few episodes of any Boy's Love offering that comes out. Even if most of them are terrible, I'll still give it a try.

I like action/adventure type stuff that falls into whatever category. Hero's journeys are fun and I particularly like rooting for the underdog. :)

I don't touch Moe stuff. It's really not my thing. Bleh.

Cryfelle

Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 AM

I really like those Sci-fi which deals with advance technology and stuffs, comedy...well to make you enjoy those episodes, Mystery for those dark mysterious types of character, adventure...like an anime character get to go to another world things like that, Action for thrilling fight scenes... School life, to imagine yourself in their school haha, Fantasies love those characters that posses powers and stuffs...

Want genre is not my thing is moe... yeah their cute a small but not my thing... Harem not my thing too even reverse Harem not even close, maybe because their are to many girl for just one guy?

well that's all hehe ^^

Miyan
Miyan

Old 11-20-2014, 01:10 AM

Shoujo, shounen, school life, slice of life, supernatural, fantasy, adventure,sports and even Gundam!....I guess that mostly all types of anime out there.

Although, I don't like harem (belittling girls?!) or yaoi (ehem) or siblings incest kind of like that. Its just too gross for me, eek.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Oh man, agreed, I don't like harems. Female harems are full of empty headed girls that are too violent or dumb or just generally annoying. Male harems are full of guys with no standards and no sense to all be going after the same girl. I recently watched Brothers Conflict because I am a masochist. The plot is basically a house full of thirteen brothers, raging in age from 10 to 31, all fall in love with their 17 year old step-sister. No, wait, one of them doesn't fall in love with her, just vows to save her from the other perverts...and does a poor job of it. But it's like, you're all gorgeous! Is there really nobody else out there that you want to date other than your new step-sister? Really? No one?

Forgot to mention my strange love of sports anime. It doesn't guarantee that I'll watch it, but I do end up watching quite a few of them. Especially if the cast is full of cute or colorful boys, like Haikyuu or Kuroko no Basket. :D

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 AM

I'm really picky when it comes to my anime. It's a really weird process for me; I just watch the first episode of an anime and if I don't really like it, then I'll leave it alone. If I sort of like it, I'll watch the second episode and make my final decision on it, and if I really love it, I'll consume the anime like there is no tomorrow XD I've always found myself leaning towards shonen anime and stuff like that. I've recently been catching up on FMA, Naruto and Black Butler.

I occasionally throw in a random shojou anime when I feel like it, for some odd reason. I've been watching Fruits Basket again XD (all of them are throwback manga and anime. I haven't found any new manga/anime that I really really like XD)

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-27-2014, 07:27 PM

I think it's a pretty standard process. I usually watch an episode or two before deciding. However, there are some things that just shut me down in the first episode. They're so epically bad or distasteful, I can't. According to Myanimelist, where I track my anime viewing, I have a ridiculously high rate of dropping anime. I tend to drop within the first two to four episodes. I'm actually surprised I make it four or so in.

aliceinwonderland99
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-28-2014, 12:23 AM

The ones I watch all the time are Action/ Adventure, comedy, and romances. I watch them all the time, the current one that I can not stop loving is Fairy Tail, the anime and magna is freaking awesome, it has a mix off everything I go for in an anime, its got adventure mixed with action, a lot of comedy and a dash of romance, its well balanced for me. I also decided to start watching One Piece, it looks like fun.

Im not a fan of the harams and reverse harams as well, I also don't really like the whole lets have a relationship with the siblings thing, its creepy and wired. I also am not a fan of horror anime, but that just me.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-28-2014, 08:06 AM

I'm not sure if the whole incest thing is a true reflection of life in Japan, like it's the norm to crush on a sibling, or if it's some romanticized or even fetishized notion that people just like to play with. But I agree it's rather creepy and weird, especially in the more aggressive instances. Like "Brother! You looked at another girl! I'm going to beat the shit out of you!" Um...no.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For-Chan Cookie View Post
I'm not sure if the whole incest thing is a true reflection of life in Japan, like it's the norm to crush on a sibling, or if it's some romanticized or even fetishized notion that people just like to play with. But I agree it's rather creepy and weird, especially in the more aggressive instances. Like "Brother! You looked at another girl! I'm going to beat the shit out of you!" Um...no.
I thought I was the only person who thought that incest thing was really weird. My friends seem to like it a little more than I do (or they might be blissfully ignoring that fact for some reason) The only series that I could come up with that has some sort of sibling incest is KissXSis. I remember watching one episode. I was scarred for life, the things that were there... Even though it isn't really what Japanese society is like, the mangakas seem to like that kind of stuff for their stories. I tend to stay away from it, though, so I don't really know a whole lot about the harem stuff.

Last edited by Aimless.Wanderer; 12-28-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 AM

I really like slice of life and magical girl animes.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-29-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii-AznGurlDream-ii View Post
I thought I was the only person who thought that incest thing was really weird. My friends seem to like it a little more than I do (or they might be blissfully ignoring that fact for some reason) The only series that I could come up with that has some sort of sibling incest is KissXSis.
Let's see, off the top of my head, I can name a handful I'm sure.
  • Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (weird sexual tension with brother)
  • Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (Girl with a major brother complex and oddly oblivious brother that sort of encouraged it?)
  • Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude, Where We Are Least Alone. (harem with an ecchi incest angle, so terrible I dropped it after an episode)
  • Aoi Hana (younger girl has crush on older female cousin in first episode)
  • Sword Art Online (does it count if the younger sister falls in love with the brother not knowing his identity? I think she already had an actual crush on him and his alternate identity was her trying to escape that crush, only to fall for the same guy again. Poor girl.)

And don't even get me started on manga. I think that it's definitely more fetish than reality, but still, it needs to go away.

@Elirona - Nothing wrong with slice of life and magical girls. Magical girls are fun!

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 12-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Let's see, off the top of my head, I can name a handful I'm sure.
  • Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (weird sexual tension with brother)
  • Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (Girl with a major brother complex and oddly oblivious brother that sort of encouraged it?)
  • Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude, Where We Are Least Alone. (harem with an ecchi incest angle, so terrible I dropped it after an episode)
  • Aoi Hana (younger girl has crush on older female cousin in first episode)
  • Sword Art Online (does it count if the younger sister falls in love with the brother not knowing his identity? I think she already had an actual crush on him and his alternate identity was her trying to escape that crush, only to fall for the same guy again. Poor girl.)
It always seems to be the girl that has the crush on the brother, as far as I know. I don't really think its an incest thing if the girl character doesn't really realize her crush is her brother. But I don't really know the story plot of that series, so I wouldn't know One of my friends wanted me to look into Yosuga no Sora, and I watched the first ten minutes of the first episode and I couldn't watch the rest without internally withering away inside. I forever hold him accountable for that

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 AM

In yaoi, there's a lot of brothers with crushes on brothers or cousins or even uncles and fathers. But, yaoi itself is already a rather sexual genre, so it's not a stretch for someone to throw in their incest fetish.

Yosuga no Sora was so awful. I watched to the end of the first episode and if I remember correctly, it ended on a cliffhanger with the younger sister coming to the brother in her undies and going "Brother, make me come." I think from reading some reviews that it was something not as pervy if I'd continued watching onto the second episode, but I was so done right there.

zyne
they/them

Old 12-31-2014, 05:18 AM

i'm a sucker for any sports anime (especially the big ones like tenipuri, knb, etc.) and a lot of adventure shounen manga/anime
i also keep up with several shoujos though that's only for certain moods

but yeah, i agree. i can't do incest in anything it's just... disgusting. i'm perfectly fine with yuri or yaoi or whatever though!

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM

The longer the sports anime, the less chances I have of sticking with it. I was unable to make it through all of Prince of Tennis or Eyeshield 21. But things with one or two seasons, I can do easily....in a day or two given the opportunity >_>

I can do incest in small amounts. The internet has desensitized me to a lot of stuff. My mind often leaps to the most immediate pervy thoughts when people mean things a lot more innocent. XD Small bits of incest I can deal with, but it just pops up in some weird places all the time. It's tiresome, like a lot of other tropes.

zyne
they/them

Old 12-31-2014, 09:55 AM

oh god. i know what you mean. actually i can catch up fairly quick if i read in one-go but then when it's... waiting for manga updates i just get distracted and stop reading at some point x__x
prince of tennis was one of my first animes back a long time ago so i'm pretty fond of it. never heard of eyeshield 21 though 0:

ick, i don't know. i'm like.. hardcore nsfw stuff? sure, whatever. disgusting gore? im cool. incest? i'm literally spiraling backwards into the atmosphere as far away from this as possible.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-31-2014, 10:07 AM

Eyeshield 21 is an American football anime/manga. It's fun. Has fantastical football moves like Prince of Tennis. Most of what I know about football comes from watching it XD

It depends on the situation as I don't give incest a blanket pass. I'm ok with some sibling incest. It has to have a lot of deep rooted emotion and the two should be on a relatively similar footing, as in no one sibling is forcing the relationship by holding power over the other or anything. It really depends. The internet has just mellowed me out about certain things and that's one of them. I don't always have the kneejerk reaction, except to parent or other adult/child incest. Then you get the outrage and the RAR RAR RAR!

zyne
they/them

Old 12-31-2014, 10:38 AM

the "RAR RAR RAR" has got to be one of the best phonetic terms i have ever heard.

i know how you feel haha... most of my knowledge about sports in general comes from manga/anime which is honestly pretty sad but [shrugs] what can you do when youre incredibly physically not-inclined.

blghhh idk ): sorry i just cant appreciate it. the only time ive been okay (and by okay i mean read the thing) was when the whole incest bit was tied into a psychological manga. it was really good but the author had to stop because it dealt such a blow to him mentally.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 12-31-2014, 11:05 PM

I actually played volleyball when I was younger and I'm still learning junk from Haikyuu!! We didn't do even half of those positions that they do!

That sounds like a very intense manga if it just sucked the life out of the author O_O

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 AM

Quote:
In yaoi, there's a lot of brothers with crushes on brothers or cousins or even uncles and fathers. But, yaoi itself is already a rather sexual genre, so it's not a stretch for someone to throw in their incest fetish.

Yosuga no Sora was so awful. I watched to the end of the first episode and if I remember correctly, it ended on a cliffhanger with the younger sister coming to the brother in her undies and going "Brother, make me come." I think from reading some reviews that it was something not as pervy if I'd continued watching onto the second episode, but I was so done right there.
I think Yaoi is male-male relationships and Yuri is female-female relationships (how I know this is beyond me, really ) Both of them have fetishes of their own, but I tend to stop right then and there when yaoi/yuri is involved. It doesn't settle well with me

That last line made me shudder in disgust. It's already bad enough that she was visiting her brother in her undies, did she really have to say that? I didn't complete the episode, though. So hearing that made me feel a little bit better >.< Yeah, I think I would've been done right then and there, too. That cliffhanger would've been enough to drive me away

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 AM

Ding ding. Yaoi is male/male and Yuri is female/female. Both terms usually refer to the sexually explicit side of things where as Boys Love or BL and Girls Love or GL are sort of blanket terms that refer to anything from the cute innocent fluffies to the hard stuff.

I was watching some list on youtube. It was the top whatever worst animes and that one was on it. It says that the sister goes on to "smoke her bother's pipe...if you know what I mean." So, it's probably best for our sanity that we didn't continue watching. I didn't realize that it got that sexually explicit when I started watching.

Something else that I didn't realize was horribly explicit was Qwazer no Stigmata. The blurb on hulu sounded interesting. The art looked slick. There was a parental warning, but to be completely honest, I ignored it since they almost always have those on grown up anime with some blood or violence. There were some boobs at the beginning, but I'm an adult, I can deal with boobs. And then we get to the guy with the powers. And how does he get his powers? Sucking on some nun's boob. Some nun's boob that twitches and waves around like a real boob never should. My brain melted. I just....why?! Who thought of that and why?! Apparently the anime is pretty decent if you can get around the tit sucking bit, but I could not.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 PM

I watch a little bit of every kind of anime.
Some horror, some romance, some action...

I'd say that an anime that has bishonen is the kind that I'm more likely to watch though, regardless of genre. I'll watch just to see the bishonen and then I'll ship them with another character or something. Lol.

So, that covers a lot of different genres.

KrysusKitten
The Tentacle Lady

Old 01-22-2015, 04:36 AM

Oof... hard to choose honestly. Always love the horror's when they're done right, and being girly, I never get tired of shoujo series haha.

I'm a fan of most things except the series with mecha's haha.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava The Vampire View Post
I'd say that an anime that has bishonen is the kind that I'm more likely to watch though, regardless of genre. I'll watch just to see the bishonen and then I'll ship them with another character or something. Lol.

So, that covers a lot of different genres.
Yeah...I am totally guilty of this too. "Oh, those guys are kinda pretty. I should probably watch that to see if they're shippable!" So...sports anime and reverse harems kinda sucker me in.

@KrysusKitten - Oddly enough, I don't care much for romance...except for a really good shoujo romance. Weirdest thing.

Naruto forever
I lied. I'm like 200% gay

Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 AM

Ooo anime and manga....
Lately I've been really into sports manga, although I've only really watched haikyuu, and I've read haikyuu and knb. I'm more than slightly obsessed with haikyuu. I've watched season 1 of Free as well (and part of season two), but I like the parody better so I've kinda never gone back xD

Other than that I like cute slice of life, fun adventure and action manga and anime, I also really like watching anime that makes fun of anime...so like the new magical boy anime, ohhc, the daily lives of high school boys.

The only genres that usually turns me away is comedy (unless its the anime that makes fun of anime those are hilarious), and romance... romance is written so badly nowadays its just...nahhhh. i'd prefer to ship characters together. or have an action story with a very small romance plot.