Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-26-2019, 02:00 PM

(By "old" I mean at least ten years old.)

I was reading some old journals and some stories on my fanfiction account yesterday, and I was struck by how good some of them were. I was fully expecting them all to be a huge cringe-fest, but some were...not that bad!
I actually think I was a better writer then than I am now! I think part of that has to do with being more inspired to write then. Now I mostly only write if I have to, or I'm writing cover letters, which isn't quite the same as writing fiction. 😛 I would like to get back into creative writing, though.
Has anyone else re-read their old writing recently? What'd you think of it?

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Oh man, some of those things I've written were so cringe-worthy.

But yeah, I'm surprised how creative I was back then, of some of the plots I was able to come up with. Nowadays it feels as though all my creativity has bled out and I often struggle with trying to come up with new plot points.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Some of mine are too, but I was impressed by the details and phrases I used sometimes. Like, how did 15 year old me even know that sort of stuff? 😛

That's exactly how I feel! 😔 I hope that trying to write more consistently will bring back some of that creativity, but I think having to do so much structured writing for school kind of ruined my love for writing.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 AM

It’s a funny feeling, isn’t it? I haven’t reread my old stuff recently, but I did take a peak at some stuff I wrote in HS a few years ago and I was surprised by my word choice and how nice some of it sounded. Good job me! Too bad a lot of the plot was cringy or just unfinished. I had tons of ideas but never actually put them all together.

I feel like I’ve lost a lot of my creativity too. I haven’t had a creative outlet in a while. About two years ago I was involved in an RPG game with some folks online and our GM was developing his own game system. It was really fun and I hadn’t felt so inspired in a long time! But sadly IRL caused people too drift apart and we stopped playing together. I miss that but it was nice while it lasted.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 AM

Most of my writing are disjointed these days...like I'd have a certain scene I want to write out and have planned out but trying to get there from Point A to Point B is a struggle. I have no idea how old me was able to get through with all that.

I've always wanted to play Dungeons and Dragons, from what I heard it sounds like so much fun and the plot is often creative and unexpected. Have never heard of anyone around where I live playing it though.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 04-27-2019, 07:15 AM

That’s me! Both back then and now. I’d always have key scenes that were interesting that I’d want to flesh out but no idea how to connect them... so I usually just jumped around.

Most of the stuff I did wasn’t actually DnD but similar to it. We did a little of Pathfinder, which is very similar to DnD (and was originally a spin off I think?) but we also did a lot of my online friend’s unique game system. And honestly, I preferred his system much more since you rarely were stuck consulting guides for how much damage a whatever does against whatever (DnD is full of technical rules) and it encouraged lots of creativity and storytelling. But it also requires someone who is good at being a game master, which is probably the hardest thing to find.

But maybe you can find a group online? You’d be surprised how fun it can be even if you aren’t in the same room with each other. There are free online services that let you use custom maps with characters for game boards so have a visual aid for everyone to follow along too. I’d love to get back into it someday.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I have a lot of unfinished writing where it's just a bunch of random bits and pieces of scenes that don't really connect with each other because there's so much missing in between.

That sounds like a lot of fun! I wonder how one finds a group to join in on.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-29-2019, 02:27 PM

@Ferra: yeah, my plots were bad and usually kind of cliche but at least it was something. And I never finished any of my longer stories. I know some people write them all out and then post them little by little but I always wrote as I went along and I don't think that was a good idea for me. 😛

@Nisty: I'm guilty of the disjointed scenes too! I get super into writing some scenes and then don't feel like writing "filler" scenes so I'm just like, "Okay, now they're gonna do this cool thing, woo!"

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 04-30-2019, 02:41 AM

@Cinderella: I was the type to plot things out as soon as I had cool ideas, so I generally had a rough understanding of how I wanted things to start, progress, and to end. I just never knew how to connect the scenes without the inbetween stuff coming across as boring filler or overwrought prose from trying too hard to make it interesting.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-30-2019, 02:53 AM

lol That's exactly me, hence why my writing's such a mess. I don't like to post my works because they're nearly always unfinished. I try to finish something before I post it, but then again, I have trouble finishing it so they all just end up not posted. ;; I know how I want something to start and end, but the middle parts are difficult.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 AM

Yeah, I should have done that but I... didn't. I think I'll probably start to now that I've kind of gotten back into it, though. I have the benefit of wisdom on my side this time! 😛

The in-between scenes are the worst! They're so hard.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 AM

Yeah, and I sometimes have trouble coming up with things for them to do that isn't just standing there like an idiot. I'd try to get them to do stuff but then they'd just end up as idiots doing stupid postures for no good reason.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-30-2019, 03:44 PM

I feel that, Nisty. 😛
I probably added so many unnecessary scenes in the name of giving my characters something to do, but I was secretly itching for something dramatic to occur because that was way more fun to write, hehe.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 PM

Yeah, too bad stories can't all be dramatic scenes after dramatic scenes...would make our writing that much more easier.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 AM

I suppose they could be...but then the readers would hate us. 😝

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 05-01-2019, 12:37 AM

lol Possibly I've read a few that are super dramatic, but they also tend to be pretty angsty which I prefer to avoid

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 05-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Yeah, I think you need a good balance which is harder to accomplish than you’d think.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 AM

Yeah that's why I admire all the good writers out there; I wish I had their creativity and writing skills to make their stories interesting and engaging.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:51 PM

As a result of making this post, I...fell back into writing fanfiction again. xD
That's partly why I haven't been around so much. I've really, REALLY missed writing.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-09-2019, 06:05 PM

Ooh, that's fun though. I need to get back on my fics. I stopped working on them the last few months. Are you having fun writing?

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 12-23-2019, 04:34 AM

I am! It actually became kind of a coping mechanism, though, and I'm trying to cut back because things are going to be really busy the next few months. :/
But all in all, I don't regret it - it's been nice to have an outlet and a distraction from real-life stuff.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-23-2019, 10:46 PM

Writing is really good to help you lose yourself for a bit so I get that. It's kinda stressing me out a bit, but normally I have more time. *shrug* This time of the year really is pretty busy. :/ What sort of things have you been writing?

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 12-27-2019, 12:28 AM

Mostly fanfiction, haha. Got super into a couple of Harry Potter communities, so it was nice to connect with other writers that way. I'm sad I'll probably fall out of touch with a lot of them, but it was fun while it lasted.

What about you? What have you been writing?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-27-2019, 01:31 AM

Oh nice. I rather like Harry Potter fics even though I never got that into Harry Potter in term of the books. It's something that's easy to read though since there's a lot diversity in the fics available. Fandom connections can be so fleeting though. :/

Mostly I've just been roleplaying. I tried to write a book for nanowrimo, but I didn't get that far in it. I spent a whole year binging on writing Attack on Titan fic a bit ago though.