Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 AM

I recently booked plane tickets to go to Asia...I was naive when I went on my first overseas trip and ended up relying on my travel companion at the time to take the lead and control most of the time...admittedly this was largely due to the language barrier I had which my companion didn't...but I do think I could prepare myself better for this particular trip.

So my question for those who are well travelled...what tips do you have for going on an overseas holiday to a place where the language and culture are in many ways different to what you're used to?

Feel free to give general advice as well...

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM

I went to Germany during Oktoberfest and actually found it was really easy to talk to people over there. Thanks to the "holiday," a lot of people from all over came to Germany to join in the fun. I guess I lucked out and didn't need to know a bit of Germany. Granted, my event overlapped with Oktoberfest so there was a huge influx of Americans heading to Germany anyway. But still, I didn't have a problem.

I found that the few times there was a language barrier, people were pretty nice about it. Like you just try to figure it out and look sincere about it. I would say just do what you can and don't let it bother you if you don't get something. I mean, traveling can be about learning.

Then again, you are going to a culture that differs greatly from that of Germany, which I would say is similar to the USA in a sense (I'd lump Australia and England in here too). Maybe do some googling? Search what not to do and wear. I know some cultures frown upon people wearing certain colors whereas others take offense to you shaking hands. Heck, some cultures frown at people who arrive early to things. Just google the area you're going to and you should find some tips and tricks.

Oh! And I have no idea what Asia is like, but if you ever travel to Europe, you might need a power converter (not sure what the Australian plugs look like). The US plugs don't work in Germany so I had to bring my own power converters.

Just thought of another thing! You can call a travel agency. Even if you don't book with them, the people there are usually pretty nice. Tell them that you're going to Asia and you want to know about the culture or the area. Odds are, someone can probably help you. Heck, they might be able to book some tours or rooms for you, if you haven't done so yet.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Hehe, what is interesting is because my ethnic background and therefore physical appearance, I'm going to a place close to where my ancestors would've come from the locals look at me and presume I know their language...

I have been trying to be a bit more active in my attempts to learn the local language.

Thanks for the suggestions Xavirne.