View Poll Results: Which avatar do you like best?
Little Miss Sunshine 4 7.14%
Essence of Nightshade 2 3.57%
Cobalt Dreams 2 3.57%
Dragon's Breath 13 23.21%
Warm Season 7 12.50%
Bumblebee Queen 17 30.36%
Lavender Scent 3 5.36%
Out of Season 8 14.29%
Wild Blue Yonder 10 17.86%
Neapolitan 8 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 PM

Well, I went a little overboard with the MAC, and now have lots of favorite avis. Since I'm new to Mene, I'd love any sort of help with these, from steering clear of an overused color combo, to keeping an outfit from being too cluttered, to just saying which one you like best!

The avis (Yes, I named them all. I can't help it; it's what I do! XP )

*Little Miss Sunshine

*Essence of Nightshade

*Cobalt Dreams

Option 2 Option 3

*Dragon's Breath

Option 2

*Warm Season

Option 2

*Bumblebee Queen

*Lavender Scent

Option 2 Option 3

*Out of Season

*Wild Blue Yonder

*Neapolitan

Any advice at all would be loved!

Last edited by Cerenity; 01-06-2009 at 11:30 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 PM

Alright, I'll respond to all of them.
Keep in mind, this is all constructive and meant to help you, not insult you. So don't get pissy with me if you feel I'm being mean or something.
I'm going in depth so you can understand WHY something doesn't work instead of just that it doesn't. I spent a long time not understanding why my avatars didn't look right because no one told me WHY. They just said "That item doesn't work, get rid of it." Finding out WHY things don't work helps you to keep from making the same mistakes over and over again. So this is totally to help you.

Little Miss Sunshine: Essentially, the only thing wrong with this is a bit of balance. You've got a big chunk of gold on top (the hair) and only thin bits of gold on the bottom. It makes it top-heavy. You would want to either add more gold to the bottom (like a more solid shoe rather than a strappy sandal. Boots, maybe) or add more white to the head that also covers some of the hair (like the white/gold pirate hat)
But, that being said, the avatar is pretty bare. You definitely need another color or two. Right now it's a little bland and uninteresting. Throwing in some colors will definitely help. You've got plenty of room to, too.

Essence of Nightshade: The cloak totally overwhelms it. I didn't even notice the reddish brown at first because the cloak is so distracting. It overpowers the whole thing.
I'd suggest removing that, and if there's a singlet in that reddish brown color, use that, and maybe a black Tshirt underneath it. Then a purple neck item. Then we'll see how it looks. ^^

Cobalt Dreams: It's cute, and probably has the most unique color scheme. But it's not finished.
Add those reddish brown gloves that you used in the previous avatar, and some stockings in the same shade. Switch to a blue denim cutie skirt, and some silver clamdiggers (because the clamdiggers won't layer under the shorts, but they will layer under the skirt)
Get rid of the belt, since you don't have any black elsewhere in the avatar.
Do all that, and then I'll probably have a few more suggestions, but you'll be going in the right direction. ^^
I can do it on the MAC for you if you'd like me to.

Dragon's Breath: To be honest, this is just a color scheme that's been exhausted. And the headdress is totally random.
That's not to say that you can't use those colors, or even that you can't use them together. But if you do, you should throw in a color that's a bit more unexpected. Like maybe red, black, and turquoise or something along those lines.

Warm Season: Cute, but unfinished. The green sleevegloves hang right behind the green legwarmers, so you've got this huge chunk of green there. The green sleevegloves aren't necessary. Try changing them to gold.
Then try some gold dragon gloves (gloves WILL layer with the sleevegloves, don't worry. We've got a bazillion layers.)
Get rid of the pink necklace, since it just doesn't go, and I don't think that there's a way to incorporate pink evenly into the avatar.
You might also want some kind of bottom. I get that some people like the pantsless look, but it's just wasted space. Something could go there that would really help complete the look. I'm thinking maybe some green shorts?

Bumblebee Queen: Not bad, but two-tone avis usually aren't very loved. And I've never really liked that cape.
I bet a lavender in small doses would look nice with it.

Lavender Scent: Firstly, the goggles. They do nothing. They're a much darker purple. I'd recommend removing them in favor of something black and white. You don't even need a purple head item since you have purple hair.
Secondly, the belt. You have a white top, white belt, and white pants. See where I'm going with this? It's a huge chunk of unbroken white. Try the purple sash belt thingy or a black belt.
Definitely incorporate more black throughout the av.

Out of Season: It's not a totally original color scheme, but it's cute. However, you need orange on your head.
You can either change your hair to orange, or you could try adding an orange orchid hairpin.
If you do that, switch to the green witch gloves, some light green stockings, and then add some white anklewings.
I think the addition of the green will also help make it look more original. ^^

Wild Blue Yonder: The black cloak doesn't look as bad on this one, but it is unbalancing it. See how you've got that BIG chunk of black in the middle, and only little bits of black elsewhere? You need to try to balance that out.
I'd recommend switching your hair to black, and then adding a white hairpin (like ayumui's white bow), and then switch to black shoes and add white anklewings.
You could also use some gloves. But don't use black ones, you've got enough black in the middle.
White would be perfect, but there aren't really any long white gloves. Try the white leather gloves, but I don't know if they'll work. They look sort of funny.

Neopolitan: Cute, but unfinished.
Add some gold stockings to balance out the sash (yes, they'll layer under socks. You can have socks and stocking on at the same time. Like I said, bazillion layers.)
Then you need some more gold up in the head/neck area.
And of course, you need some shoes. I'd suggest something brown and short. I think the brown temptress shoes will work.

If you're having any problems incorporating my suggestions into the avatars, want examples, or just plain help, let me know and I'll do it on the MAC. ^^

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I don't have time to work on all of them right now, but I'll definitely try them out sometime. ^_^

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Glad I could help. ^^

Elwing
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM

I like Lavender Scent and Wild Blue Yonder the best,
the rest looks so 'been there done that'...
But you should add a few items on them.

Amurita
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 AM

I think i like bumbeequeen the best, followed by warm season. A lot of the avi's look incomplete though, but with a few tweaks i think they'd look better. I'd really like to see how they'd look with all the suggestions cherry gave you :3

>.> <.< >.> Nothing happened here.

Last edited by Amurita; 08-28-2008 at 04:20 AM..

Eserel
8U CHARGIN MA LAZERS

Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 AM

x:
That's cherry,
Not Toxi.

And I agree with Amurita. People don't use the cape that often.

Amurita
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 AM

-cougheditcough-
Err...I was thinking intoxicate for some reason...eheh. But yes, the suggestions with the cherry-coloured font ^^;

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 PM

I got mixed up with tox? I think I'm flattered. XD

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 AM

Thanks guys! I know there are a number of items that aren't in the MAC, so after I get more familiar with them, I'll probably come up with some adjustments.

Eserel-Which cape do you mean?

Eserel
8U CHARGIN MA LAZERS

Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 AM

0:
Uh I think the mac is pretty up to date on items.
Its just layering thats off.

Uh the armade cape or whatever you used in the bee one

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Yeah, the only items I can think of that aren't in the MAC is the eyeshadow. And that's just because it's sort of impossible right now since the eyes aren't up to date, so it'd look weird.

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 PM

Really? I keep thinking I see things on avatars that aren't on the MAC, but I guess that's just me being new and not recognizing things very well.
I did notice the eyeshadow wasn't in there though, which made me sad. I think they're beautiful. <3

Eserel-Oh,that one. Yeah, now that I think about it, I haven't seen that many people wearing it. But I think it's really neat.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 PM

Nah, I'm pretty sure everything's there.
Just sometimes it can be hard to find, since it's sort of a random jumble of little tiny icons. Sometimes I have to look for a good minute just to find a certain item.

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-30-2008, 03:44 AM

Yeah, sometimes I click on an icon thinking it's one thing, but when it's on the avatar it's something completely different.

Edit: Oh, and I wanted to ask if people have looked at the other options underneath certain avis at all. I'd just kinda like to know which ones they think work best (a lot of them are just hair color)

Last edited by Cerenity; 08-30-2008 at 03:49 AM..

Summer2548
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM

They all look really cute.

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-31-2008, 02:56 AM

Thank you! ^_^ C:

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-31-2008, 05:37 PM

I'm thinking of getting rid of Warm Season. I love the color sceme, but I just don't think I like how that outfit turned out, and it would be easier for me just to start over than to edit that one.

[L]ove[H]ate
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 PM

I like the warm season one, but you have way too many basic items on each avi. And try layering more and adding some more acessories when you create a MAC. And try to even out colors a bit more. Don't put two white colors next to each other.

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-01-2008, 01:18 AM

For the layering thing, I guess I have a different definition of clutter than everyone else. Many outfits other people wouldn't think are cluttered, I think they would be. Hence, lots of people think my outfits need more items. ^_^;

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM

All right, I took some of Cherry Flavored Antacid's suggestions, and played around with them a little bit, and here are the results!

Essence of Nightshade
I didn't like how the t-shirt and the singlet layered, and there weren't any purple neck items that I liked with it, so I tried playing around with the brownish-red items, and came up with this. It's really not that much more different, just more brown. Then I also tried adding some headphones, because I felt like it needed a little more black at the top. But I'm not sure which looks better.

Cobalt Dreams
So, I tried adding the reddish-brown, but I really didn't like how it matched. Then I remembered what you said about removing the black belt because there wasn't any other black, so I thought 'Hey! I'll just add more black!' So I did. And I think I like it even better this way. (although the clamdiggers make her look kinda fat)

Bumblebee Queen
So, I tried adding in some lavender. It was cool. So for fun I tried adding in atlantis instead. That was cool too.
I like them both a lot, but not any better than the original.

Lavender Scent
I started with Option Three of this one, because it already had the Panda Headphones instead of the goggles, and one thing you had suggested was something black and white. Then I just added a belt (the slanted one fit better with the sorta flowey feel of the whole avatar), and found some shoes that would show both black and white in generous quantities. I really think it's improved, too. ^_^ But I do miss the Swallowtail Sash.

Out of Season
I tried changing the hair to orange, which was ok, but I think I like it better black. Then I tried adding the orange hairpin in, which ended up kinda awkward.
The Headphones don't really look good with the Hairpin, but they need the white so I let them stay. And I just realized that I forgot the black belt. ^_^; Anyways, there should be a black belt in there.
And then I tried one with lavender (since that was the other color of the witch gloves). Again, I forgot the belt.

Wild Blue Yonder
I actually forgot to try on some gloves, but I already know that I don't really like any of the white gloves. I wish they'd made some white gloves like the Black Amarande Gloves. Those are great. Anyway, I'm not sure which one I like best: this or the original. They're both nice.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-01-2008, 10:27 PM

They all look great! ^^ Though the cloaky cape thing on the Nightshade avatar still bugs me. It works fine on the black and teal one, though. ^^

And they actually just released a ton of white gloves. They're just not on the MAC yet.
But yay! I had been hoping for white gloves for forever.

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 PM

Yeah, I saw them in stores. The shirts that go with them are pretty awesome too. I can't wait until they get on the MAC!
And I'm glad you like them. ^_^

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-05-2008, 09:15 PM

Yay, new avis!

I like this one a lot, but the head was giving me trouble. The Bleeding Hearts Hairpin in the first is a bit brighter than all the other reds, and the hat in the second adds in some unneeded white.
Edit:I've just decided to call this one Love Me, Love Me Not. C:

Just a nice a simple one. But darn you, dark blue, for not having more head items!

No matter what anybody says, I'm still gonna love this one to death. I can't exactly explain why, but I just do. <33333

Not my usual color scheme, but I like it. I wish I could add some pink around the waist without removing the purple sash.

I love the kinda woodsy-celebration feel of it. And I love the color scheme! Green and purple is one of my favorite combinations.

My first try at a Christmas-y outfit. It's not my favorite ever, but it's kinda cute. (:

Oh. My. WORD. I love this one SO MUCH. My second Christmas outfit. It gives me the feel of a medieval minstrel for some reason. I'm just sad that I'll probably never have it because the Lovipop is way too expensive for me. :C

Last edited by Cerenity; 09-09-2008 at 12:40 AM..

Cerenity
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Any comments on new avis?