Ryuusei
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM

I found a cat at the animal shelter that I absolutely love. I've spent three days trying to think of ways to keep her separated from my three dogs, but I have yet to find a solution. Two of the dogs would be fine with a cat, but unfortunately the "alpha" dog is agressive and the other two will do whatever she does. I really want to make it work, but I have no idea how I can keep the cat safe. Please help me!

Laila Izuka
Culinary Arts Ninja~

Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 AM

Well the best thing that you can do now is - when the cat is inside, have the aggressive dog outside, so that way the cat can get used to it's new surroundings. And then when you want to let your dog back inside, put the cat inside a closed room, and let the dog sniff around, and get accustomed to the cats scent. And then later have the cat inside a room, and let the dog get close to the room that the cat is in, so that way they can get "near" one another, without a fight breaking out between the two. And then when they get used to that, start with a physical confrontation, and don't let them touch each other, but used to each others presence. And if they don't try to fight each other, you can try and see if they can get along then. But the point is to get them close to each other over a long period of time. So there really won't be any problems. And if there is, it might be best to give up the cat or the dog. Or consult with a trainer, and see what you can do so they can get along, if possible that is.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 01-29-2010, 01:12 AM

I'd say the best thing you could do is not get a cat. If it's too much of a hassle to keep them apart now, an accident is bound to happen. Don't forget that animal curiosity works on both sides--the cat could get out just as well as a dog could get in.

I love cats, and I'd love to see a cat go to a great home, but I think you'll just stress it out from being around dogs all the time. I think there are better homes for it than with three dogs.

Darkness Within
Fallen

Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 AM

It is possible for cats and dogs to live together in peace but there is a proper way to introduce a cat to a dog occupied house.
How to Introduce a New Cat to Dogs: Tips for Bringing Newly Adopted Cats Home to Meet the Dog
this website provides the process specifically. It also assures that the impossibility of a cat and a dog learning to at least tolerate each other is rare. So there is really no reason you shouldn't be able to add this cat to your house.

This website offers an improvisation of the process that you might also consider.
How to Introduce a New Cat to Your Resident Dog | Cleveland APL Pet Tips - cleveland.com

Ryuusei
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 AM

I'm sorry this is so late... But I got the cat. Apparently the dog doesn't see her as a threat since she's a different animal and they actually get along really well. :)

Rock Fan Chick
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Great! Enjoy your new cat!