Shugo Hinamori Amu
Beka Cooper

Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 PM

Just got my wisdom teeth pulled. Yes, I am a wimp. A dumb wimp, since my wisdom's been removed (haha :drool:). Kill me now!!! :feesh:

No, serously though. This really hurts. :cry: Can anyone who's gone through this process before tell me what to expect? About how long does it hurt? When will I be able to end my "fasting" and eat again? When does the swelling go down? :gonk:

Any advice, answers, or pity (lol) would be welcomed with open arms!
Thanks!

xelao
derp.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Lol, ouuuch sucks for you. e_e;;

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 07-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Owie. That sucks. I still have mine and don't need them pulled. My ex got hers pulled and her mouth was swollen for a few days. She had to go to work the day after they were pulled and she could hardly talk. It was kind of funny.

caseyd1354
The Moped King
Send a message via AIM to caseyd1354 Send a message via Yahoo to caseyd1354

Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 PM

dude just get drugs from the pharmacy

Kris
BEATLEMANIA

Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 PM

I got my wisdom teeth removed this spring. I went to the dentist, was knocked out, went home, and woke up six hours later feeling fine. XD Lol. I didn't need any pain relievers.

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 PM

I'm probably going to have to have mine pulled...assuming they ever grow in. They're taking their sweet time with it, so the dentist never really cares much to bring up wisdom teeth. I was supposed to have my mouth expanded to make room for 'em...but..well...I dodged the appointment once on purpose and once by total accident. T_T My mom just kinda gave up on me.. Now she lectures me about it, too..

Bippy
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM

OK, you will feel like utter crap for the first 24-48 hours. Make sure you eat foods you don't have to chew (I recommend pudding, jello, applesauce etc.) Take the medication the dentist gave you at the specified times, if you were not given medication be sure to take an anti-inflammatory every 4-6 hours to keep the swelling down. If you want you can get an ice pack and put it on your face, if anything it tends to dull the pain. Also, don't drink out of a straw for at least a week or two, you don't want to risk getting a dry socket!

By day three you should be feeling 100% and able to eat semi-solid foods. Basically just take it slow, don't eat anything you are unsure of and just be careful! I hope you feel better soon!

Madness
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 PM

Actually I got anti-biotics and a pain killer but after two days of feeling sick to my stomach and not being able to keep anything down we figured out that the pain medicine was making me sick. I just stopped it becuase, honestly I really wasn't in extreme pain, nothing an icepack couldn't handle, and then I was fine. So icepacks really help!

Imoto-chan_Always
Hot Water Goblin

Old 07-27-2010, 05:45 PM

This is something I've been putting off and certainly not looking forward to. According to my friend (who just got his out a few weeks ago,) the surgery is fine, it's the recovery that kills you. Well, considering I once had five teeth pulled at once, I'm assuming this will only be a bit worse than that. I know I've gotta get them out soon because I can feel them coming in. T.T And they're coming in sideways according to my X-rays. On the bright side, this is something almost everyone goes through, so I'm sure you'll be able to find some friends to chat about it with. And plus, you have a great excuse to eat applesauce, pudding, mashed potatoes, and ice cream for a few days. XD

Kid Disaster
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 AM

I just had one pulled last Monday. Gotta wait on the other 3 until we can afford it. The one just absolutely NEEDED to come out; it was KILLING me!

With my tooth, I stayed drugged up the entire day of the surgery, just ate some mashed potatoes & drank water & kept an ice pack on face for 15 minutes at a shot. The day after, I only needed a pain pill in the morning, and that was it with the medication. But that second day is when you need to start rinsing with salt water, which actually felt really freaking good to me. Haha. My swelling was way down by that evening, and I was totally back to my old self by Thursday.
Of course, my tooth was an easy pull -- it was fully grown and needed no bone-cutting or stitches or anything like that. Though they did fully sedate me because of my anxiety issues. >_>
I'm still not looking forward to the other three, though. Two of them are fine; my dentist just wants them out so that they won't get cavities like my recently-removed one did. The last one is impacted, though, so I'm sure it won't be fun at all.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 AM

I had mine done a few years ago, RIGHT BEFORE THANKSGIVING. I could hardly eat any food during dinner that day because I was still in so much pain :cry:

I think I was fine about a week later, but I had to keep cleaning out the little holes left behind for a month or two before they healed up enough for me to not need to do it. I wish I still had the little plastic syringe thinger though, that thing felt so good on my gums *_*

Amber Absolution
Haunted by Kingdom hospital
Send a message via MSN to Amber Absolution

Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM

When I had mine taken out, I was put to sleep and woke up talking utter nonsense, completely out of it. I remember it hurt for a while, but I bought this gel like stuff that puts your gum to sleep. You should try looking for something like that. Doesn't taste bad, but If you get it on your tongue you wont be able to feel it. It's really strong. : ) Much better then pain meds for something like that.

Shugo Hinamori Amu
Beka Cooper

Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone, this was really helpful! :)

I've been doing an ice pack, but the meds my doctor gave me sent me to the emergency room yesterday...so I'm not on any meds right now XP
The surgery itself wasn't that bad, but I definitely agree that the recovery sucks.

Bippy
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 AM

Shugo: I am sorry to hear about your ER visit, reactions to medications are never fun (I discovered I was allergic to vicodin while passing a kidney stone). My only advice would be to keep up with the ice packs, and maybe eat cool food until you are able to take some pain medication again.

Get well soon!! <3

Rafira
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM

hahahah I don't need mine out yet!!! :P i do need my cavities filled though D:

Omnomnom
~*~Becca~*~

Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM

I'm supposed to get mine out, but I'm too afraid of needles.
However, a couple of my housemates just got theirs out...the non-solid-food-eating lasted about 3 days.

I hope you feel better!! :heart: *pities*

Lokie
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM

I need to get mine done, but a friend had it done a while ago. . . normally within a couple of days but be careful. . . my friend managed to pull out her stitches and that causes a lot of pain and makes it take a lot longer to heal

Shugo Hinamori Amu
Beka Cooper

Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 PM

Thank you everyone!!! I'm slowly on the mend, and I've taken all of your advice <3

mini waterbender
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 PM

owww that must hurt

Laila Izuka
Culinary Arts Ninja~

Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 AM

I don't think that my wisdom teeth have grown in, and if they have, I don't think I need them pulled. All my teeth are relatively straight. I do need to get some cavities filled. There is one thing that I'm not looking forward too eventually. One of my teeth grew in my gums, and my dentist said that it has to come out. I'm like, "nooo, it doesn't hurt at all, and most of the time I forget it's even there". I'll probably save that for some random time. Oh, and I need something done with my gums in general. My medicine makes them grow over my teeth, and I was told that I could get gum disease :U

But on the subject of wisdom teeth, one of my friends went in to get hers out, and told me that she saw an x-ray with 11 WISDOM TEETH THAT GOT PULLED! O.O, I can't even imagine the pain that person had to be in after all those got pulled.

Shugo Hinamori Amu
Beka Cooper

Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 PM

@Laila: 11??? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the maximum number of wisdom teeth a person can have, total, is four. O_O

Laila Izuka
Culinary Arts Ninja~

Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugo Hinamori Amu View Post
@Laila: 11??? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the maximum number of wisdom teeth a person can have, total, is four. O_O
Yup, my friend saw the x-ray and was amazed by how many the person had.

Shugo Hinamori Amu
Beka Cooper

Old 07-31-2010, 10:11 PM

Wow. I would hate to be that person!!!

gamer~goddess
*^_^*

Old 08-01-2010, 12:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. When I had mine removed, the best thing was ICE. Lying down with icepacks on your cheeks will help a lot with keeping the swelling down (extra swelling can cause extra pain). I actually found that I didn't need my medication much because rest and ice seemed to be fine. What I ate during recovery was mainly jello (which I no longer eat to this day), chicken broth, and a ton of KFC mashed potatoes. xD I wish you luck with your recovery and hope you heal quickly!

Baja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...
Send a message via AIM to Baja

Old 08-01-2010, 03:52 AM

Sorry, but Baja's never had mine pulled out.
lol, mostly because they've never grown in. 8 D
I have had 2 of my back teeth removed, though. But, mine didn't hurt after wards, at all, really. Possibly because they used a laser to cut them out.