i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM

HELP!

I'm terribly sick and my little heart can't take it.
What are your home remedies, things you do, or just advice for when you're sick?

If anyone could volunteer to come and take care of me, that'd be amazing. Thanks.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 PM

What kind of symptoms are you having? Sinus headaches? Coughing? Sneezing? etc :O

I hope you feel better soon! *just finished having some serious illness*

i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks so much!
I'm actually just having a headache, a scratchy throat, lightly stuffy nose and I believe running a fever.
WHY DO OUR BODIES TORMENT US SO?!

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Cause they hates us? D:

Well for scratchy throat, ginger and hot water usually does the trick. It won't heal it, but it'll give some relief. Just take a fresh ginger, grate it, add it to hot water and sip. If don't have ginger, hot water by itself is pretty good cause it's warm.

The steam from the hot water will help clear your nose too.

The headache and fever though that's probably just best dealt with sleep. Your headache might be caused by sinus (considering you're having a stuffy nose) so you could massage it. The sinus are usually located at the top of your head, the sides (by your ears) and right under your eyebrows (following the bridge of your nose). I think *isn't an expert*. My Reflexology book says your toes and the tips of your fingers are sinus pressure points and stepping on them/squeezing them might help as well :3

Over the counter meds also provide some relief.

Take plenty of vitamin C and get some rest.

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 PM

Sore Throat: Gargle Salt Water. Disgusting? yes. Effective: Most definitely! do it 3 times a day or so and it will get rid of that scratchy throat!

Runny Nose: Steam it out. Get a mug and s small plastic bag fill the mug with hot water and make sure the mug isnin the bag, then put your face over the opening of the bag covering your nose and mouth and then breath, do this as any times as you like and your nose will be a okay :)

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 PM

I tend to find that boiling water that you put a stick of cinnamon in(and some honey if you don't want the super strong cinnamon flavour) and let it sit for a few minutes(or until cool enough to drink) helps with sore throats...mostly its just the hot water washing away whatever in your throat...but cinnamon also has a few healthy bits to it.

i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful tips!
I'll be sure to try them ASAP.

Colds are terrible, aren't they?
I LURVE YOU GAIZ.
SO MUCH.
Menewsha has such a helpful community.

Darkness Within
Fallen

Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 AM

For the throat a hot beverage is heaven. I love hot chocolate but tea is good too. Soup definitely.
For the fever a tylonal should do the trick.

I get a cold once a year, still waiting on it this year.

i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 AM

Only once a year?
Wow, you're sure lucky!
I usually get sick all the time, this year I was lucky not to, but it hit me hard today!
Soup is delicious. -3-
I love your bats, by the way.
Thank you. c:

Darkness Within
Fallen

Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 AM

I was sick all the time as a kid, haha. You are welcome I hope you feel better soon.

And thanks about the bats. :)

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 AM

I get colds a fair bit...but as for sick enough that I can't even work...well, that happens once a year, and lasts only a week(usually). I'm thankful that its not worse than that, since I do tend to need all the money I make...and being on hourly pay it doesn't help to miss a day.

i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 AM

Such a hard worker you must be, Draciolus!
Where does your name come from?
Just made it up then?

You know, I made this thread to help with my cold and I don't think it helps I've been on Mene all day long.
Haha, silly ol' Greg!
It's a bit addicting though!

Darkness Within
Fallen

Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 PM

I still come online when I have my yearly cold. It may keep me out of school when it's fresh because of fluff in my head but as long as I am not moving around a bunch I feel fine enough.

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I made my name up about 10 years ago(give or take a year), when I started to play games online with friends...I wanted something that sounded Dragon-like, and well, this is what I came up with. I've used it all over the place ever since, games, forums, places where I don't want people to know my true name. Usually it just gets shortened to Drac, since more people can't pronounce it without being told how to(some people even called me Delicious when they read it...and that was on X-Box Live).

Emasaurus
FOR SCIENCE

Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 AM

I bet you pronounce it "Drak-key-o-lus" ;) I am a fan of wordsmithing.

Also: Dearest, new member Greg:
Alka-seltzer is my hero. It has a little bit of everything in it, NSAIDs, antihistamines, etc. And it goes into your blood stream fast since it dissolves in the cup c:

Here's hoping you feel better soon ~<3

i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-16-2012, 03:18 AM

Oh my, that's quite a story you've got about your name, haha.

Thank you so much Emasaurus!
I'll try that ASAP!

BUT GUYS, I FOUND OUT WHAT I HAVE.
I went to the doctors and they told me I have
a Sinus AND throat infection.
Ew, how did that happen?
haha.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 PM

It's very unpleasant, but when I'm sick, I'll drink a small amount (less than a shot) of apple cider vinegar every day. People swear by drinking ACV every single day, sick or not, but I can only force myself to do it when I'm ill. I don't know for sure that it helps, but I tend to have very short, mild colds and I don't want to jynx that by changing how I treat them as a test. Just be sure to drink a lot after, so it doesn't hurt your enamel. You'll want to anyway, since it's unpleasant.

Tea is another good thing. Hot or cold, it's up to your tastes. You don't even have to brew it yourself, bottled stuff from the store works fine too. Drinking lots of it will help with the sore throat, and will help keep you hydrated, which is essential when you're sick.

i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Oh, thank you!
I'm confused on how ACV helps though?
I've never heard of that method before!
What exactly does it do?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 PM

The jury's still out on that. Lots of people make big claims about how it helps everything, but there isn't a whole lot of conclusive evidence to back it up, yet. But as long as you're careful about your enamel (don't let it sit too long on your teeth, drink a lot after, don't immediately brush your teeth) and don't drink it in large quantities for very long periods of time (years), it doesn't have any negative side effects. It might just be snake oil, but when I'm sick, I'll do anything to feel better. At the very least, if you've got that icky mucus trickle down the back of your throat, it'll wash that down.

i3utts3x
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Ahh! Alright, thank you so much. I understand now. xD

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Even if it is just snake oil, remember a placebo works just as well half the time.

Science doesn't like to study to much into it but the body given plenty of fluids will pretty much heal itself. That's why chicken soup and teas works so well when your sick regardless of what herbs are being used. Some are better than others, but still. Water and salt cleans you out good. Just don't use to much bullion powder because it'll make it to salty. And to much of a good thing is a bad thing.

I've never heard of the ACV thing. I guess it's like eating an apple every day. My grandma use to give us cod liver oil and Buckley's medicine formula. Apparently those things alone weren't gross enough. XD

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emasaurus View Post
I bet you pronounce it "Drak-key-o-lus" ;) I am a fan of wordsmithing.
Close...except its just Drak-e-o-lus

Darkness Within
Fallen

Old 10-17-2012, 02:00 AM

Um...ok yeah the ACV thing confuses me too.

Emasaurus
FOR SCIENCE

Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draciolus View Post
Close...except its just Drak-e-o-lus
Darn Dx lol Ah well being close is good too.

I wonder if the apple cider vinegar works by slightly increasing the acidity of your whole system, which makes it harder for bugs that are made to live at normal isotonic pH...

In any case: I prefer apple cider to apple cider vinegar

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-17-2012, 02:50 AM

That's how I look at it, Emasaurus.I'm not quite sure if that's true, though. I'm sure I could find a website saying that's the case, but I'm sure I could also find one saying it isn't. Also there's the fact that it does have mild antibacterial properties.

Draciolus - I thought it was Dray-she-oh-lus.