iamnotspam
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 PM

I hope I'm not posting something wrong here.

Early last October,
during my week-long stay in a psych ward,
I was diagnosed with depression -
and yes, I'm now on a pill,
and no, I'm not suicidal now.

Actually, right now I guess I'm just looking for advice or something
(even if it comes in the form of tough love).

You see, I heavily shrink away from even the idea of getting a job,
and I pretty much stick to sleeping, eating, and being on the computer;
I'm not really near anyplace I can just walk to and hang out at,
nor am I more than an acquaintance to any of the neighbors.
Obviously I don't have a job,
nor do I have a car (or even a license/permit).
As for my family (with whom I am currently staying), well,
everyone has their own computer.

I need some help.
I'd ask "what can I do?" but I'm afraid I do know and just won't do it...
I don't know. Just... I don't know. I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for,
but I guess any advice will do, please and thank you very much. :)

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 12-28-2013, 01:41 PM

I hope I don't sound rude when i say this, but what is the worst thing you possible imagine that will happen if ask the question "what can I do?" Your family gets mad at you? Atleast you are putting forth some effort to help. If they tell you that you should know what to do, be honest and say that you don't know what to do and that is why you are asking. Or if doing chores around your house is not your thing, and someone else usually does that, suggest playing a game or doing something with your family so that you can atleast build stronger relationships with your family, because stronger relationships with your family will help you once you start going out and trying to get a job, and doing other things in your life.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 AM

DD's right. As hard as it might be, finding a way to connect with your family is probably one of the best things you can do. I've been where you are now, and I understand as much as it's possible to understand without literally being inside someone's head. One of the hardest things to do when you're depressed is reach out, but if you can do that, sometimes just having someone to listen will make a world of difference. I'm not saying it's a miracle cure-- those don't exist-- but it helps, and I think it's important to be able to talk to someone who's physically present. I adore the internet, and I love Menewshans, but there's something different about having a person in the same room as you.

Also... I don't know if this will help in your case, but I've found it's easier to talk things out with strangers before talking with people I love. I've called crisis hotlines a few times and basically told them the things I needed to tell the people I cared about. They helped me clear my head enough to talk to the people I really needed to talk to.

I don't know if any of what I've said will help you at all, because everybody's experience is different, but I hope it will at least help a little.