sacrilegious requiem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 PM

okay so i left this site about a year or so ago and it was great when i left only problem was i was sick now i came back and everyone is gone what happened? there use to be ads online on like mangafox promoting this site but i havent found any lately i think we need to do some of the old stuff and bring menewsha back to its former glory this site use to be a haven for me and my friends and now it is seeming like a chore to just check my forums please please try and revive menewsha it deserves it :vicky:

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 AM

I think Menewsha's activity has actually increased, from what I've seen. But advertising on other sites costs money, and Mene doesn't have much of that.

sacrilegious requiem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-31-2011, 02:24 AM

maybe we could convince other members to post on other sites they are on like facebook or myspace all the people who use gaia or other sites i really miss the old menewsha and i have been checking continuously but i cannot seem to find activity here

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 07-31-2011, 03:08 AM

There is more activity then there was a year ago. It's summer though and activity goes down in the summer because people want to do other stuff besides sit in front of a computer. More users would be a good thing though.

sacrilegious requiem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-31-2011, 03:35 AM

well its been over a year when i left if you stepped out for work so lets say 6 hours an average thread would grow 3pages i hope its just the summer thing you say because i loved this site

Siri
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via AIM to Siri

Old 07-31-2011, 03:10 PM

I agree--a lot of people have left the site. It's pretty sad. :(
I think we just need more to do--quests, achievements, events, etc.

I logged onto neopets yesterday, just for fun and there was so much more to do than here...

sacrilegious requiem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-31-2011, 04:24 PM

so if everyone has other sites they go on maybe we can convince them to post that would be free advertising and it could bring menewsha back to life the more people there are i think the better the site will get because right now they can get away will having very few of those things

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 PM

I actually like the fact that Mene isn't terribly crowded and busy. :lol:
I don't think I can properly say anything about past activity, but I have been noticing past users coming back. In the past week or two, I've met 3 or 4 older users that have returned.

I think it's a tad unfair to compare Mene to Neopets. Menewsha's focus is more on the community. It's about interacting with others. That's why the gold limit was lowered for games, to encourage more posting. (As least, I remember reading that somewhere... xD) Neopets's focus is on caring for virtual pets. Plus, Neopets has been around longer than Mene has.
I log into Neopets once in a while, and though fun, it's never enough to make me continuously come back. (Though I do like the idea of achievements, but that's been discussed in another thread.)

For the sake of the site though, yeah I'm sure we do need more people. :s Or at least, it wouldn't hurt.

sacrilegious requiem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 AM

The point of this wasnt to compare menewsha to any other site other than how it use to be before i left. I really think we can get everyone on menewsha to do some free advertising to get people to atleast look at menewsha

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2011, 01:08 PM

It is rather unfair to compare us to behemoths like Neopets, because they are owned by Nickelodean and will have a budget of hundreds of thousands of dollars, where as we are self-funded and our budget consists solely of what we get from donations.

Considering that donations do not even cover the running costs of the site, let alone leave us with anything left over for adding new features (we run in the red all the time and Inso has to make up the 4 figure shortfall out of his own pocket every month) it's not really any great suprise that we can't crank out fun new stuff to keep people entertained :(

It would be fantastic if people could get their friends to check us out, increased activity is absolutely where it's at. It's the reason why Inso added the Facebook stuff, in the hope that people would "like" threads and their friends would see it on their wall and check us out. That would be a great free way of Mene gaining attention if people utilised that feature a lot more.

Siri
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via AIM to Siri

Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Ah, crap, sorry. I didn't mean to start the whole menewsha vs. neopets debate. I do like how menewsha is community-focused and there is a lot about neopets that I don't like.

I think the point that I was trying to make is that there was a lot more to do on neopets. This site is community-oriented, but the community is so small and slowly dying out because old members are leaving and we're not getting a whole ton of new, active members. I think there are a few things that menewsha can add to the site that really wouldn't cost anything and would give the current active users more to do...

I like menewsha more than neopets because it's a community-based system, but I don't think the site is thriving since there are so few active users. This is what made neopets more fun when I logged on two days ago--it's not a community-based site, but there were so many things to do and keep you busy. If we had more active users, this wouldn't be a problem, but there isn't enough to do at the moment and the only threads where people respond to my posts are in discussions about how to make menewsha more active. I like the music and movies subforums, but there are so few people in there to discuss things with...

I probably shouldn't have made that comparison earlier--I just felt bored on mene all summer. Hopefully this upcoming event will liven things up! :)

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM

:lol: No worries~ My point of comparison was that they're different sites to begin with. (Like watching a serious drama and a comedy and then having someone ask you which was better in terms of how much you laughed.)
I didn't even know it Neopets was owned by Nickelodeon (which is still blowing my mind right now).

But I got your jist of it. We do need more to do, or at least an offer of something more I suppose. Which puts us in a tight spot, since we're requesting more to keep people here, but we need more people to get more features. :s

I think plenty of people aren't aware of the "Like" feature and its secret gold earning. XD

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Hey, no worries about the comparison thing, I mean, why wouldn't you guys make them? Any person who has accounts on a number of entertainment sites will prefer ones where there's more to do, and they can't be expected to know the bottom line reasons for why one place has less features than another. They're just going to think things like, "it's more fun on X than Y, so I'm gonna hang out there instead".

If you, or anyone, has suggestions for cash-free ways of livening things up and drawing more poeple in them I'm all ears, do please share :)

----------

Ikuto - Adam and Donna sold out and got out several years ago. Set up another site called Twin Skies, which was cute and fun, but seems to have disappeared :(

Neo is like Gaia, got too big to be able to sustain itself, so had no option but to go corperate. That's my uninformed opinion, anyway :ninja:

----------

And yeah, I'm thinking of bigging up the LIKE button again, as people do forget about things like that, or as you say, never notice it in the first place...

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Ooh. I remember reading about them in the Wiki. (Speaking of which... does Mene even have its own page on Wiki?)
Twin Skies sounds like a cute name for a site, sucks that it disappeared though. (And kind of scary...)

Haha. I'm a bit afraid that if we got all these new things and features or games that it would take away from the community aspect and we'd end up like Gaia. People coming for games or something else besides the people. (Assuming the new features aren't community-focused.) Though I suppose from a business stand-point that might not matter too much. More people = more moolah! Though, given our community as it is now and the staff, I think we'd still have a pretty good community. :s

What if we had like a monthly newsletter/newspaper thing? That would kind of shortly review the prior month (CIs, Admin's Pick, Updates, Events, etc...) and included like a short story or poem from a user, some fan-art and some other stuff~ :XD

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Sizzla: is our newsletter girl, as she's an editor in the real world, but both she and her newsletter helper, Seito, have been thoroughly bogged down with RL stuff lately.

It would be nice to get the newsletter up and running again though. What we used to do was send one out once the CIs were released, with pictures and so forth. But we fell out of the habit of sending one.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Ooh~ See, I didn't even know we had one. XD (Though I had that nagging feeling that we might.)
Gosh, how long has it been down?

Hmm.. Maybe something on the front page or an announcement with links to Mene's Facebook page, DeviantArt Group & Page, and Twitter?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM

I honestly can't remember when we last sent a newsletter out, I'd say not this year for certain.

The problem with the front page is that there's too much on it now. A lot of the content is, to use some terminology that I've picked up from Sizzla, below the crease. That's a newspaper term of course, but the effect is the same. People often don't read what's below the crease where a paper's been folded, a lot of people definitely don't bother scrolling down to see what's on the bottom half of a webpage.

A home page redesign is on a mile long to-do list, but who knows when it's likely to actually get done.

We could do with somewhere pretty with links to the places tht you suggested, but again, it's having the time to get that done :gonk:

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Oh gosh. D:
But woo for you sending one out now!

Yeeah. That's so true. ; o; I was trying to think of where they could go without moving too much, buuut @ A@...
It would be neat if the main picture on the Home page could change. Liiike.. if it would go through 3 other images/links to clear up some space. But I know that would definitely take time and not a lot of people would probably stick around long enough for it go past the first image. :gonk:

Ah well. I'm all out for now, I think. Hopefully some other people stop by and throw some ideas here. :yes:

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM

i like the emails to remind us about meme.
events would help too

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Menewsha is not dying.... users are just not branching out of their hangouts as much as they used to... a lot of people check their subscribed threads and log off I think

As for the money thing... yes menewsha has little to no money... but inso is trying his best to make us profitable (Without ads). Once this whole economy thing is fixed menewsha should be able to have more users donating =)

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM

That's what I used to do. Just check my subscribed threads and be done. But for me, I branched out because my subscribed threads were slow-going. I have oodles of more free time now though, opposed to last year and such.

sacrilegious requiem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM

okay so do people have twitter or i know there is stuff on facebook but facebook myspace emobucket photobucket deviantart gaia solia subeta all these and more because menewsha really does need more people that is the main issue if more people frequent the site than it would be easier for the site to stay up and the more people we have maybe the more donations will roll in to please people atleast the ones reading this please post as much as you can on othersites to get the menewsha word out i love menewsha and really do think it is unfair that inso has to take the loss out of his pocket lets all try really hard please

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Yeah, that twitter thing is really quite useful. I probably wouldn't have noticed the event poster thing without it...

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Yeah, I do agree that the newsletter is something we should do more often. It kind of got left by the wayside when the coded events did. T_T Plus, as jelly mentioned, I have been crazy busy over the past few months with my real job and my personal life, and have barely found time for Menewsha, let alone create a newsletter.

Now that work has slowed down a bit, I'd think we could get the newsletters together more often. :yes: Not sure if it'll happen and be all fancy-like for the upcoming event, but for events further on down the line, and for site announcements, CI releases, etc., we can totally make the newsletter happen again. :yes: