Life is a lot like Russian Roulette.

Pull the trigger time and again...

Sometimes you dodge the bullet.

Other times, your luck runs out...

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM

He hated the hustle and noise of the east and central districts of Snow Island, but being surrounded on all sides by water, there wasn’t much room to run. Luckily for Adam, however, west district was his own getaway, wooded and dark even in the brightest of days during the dry season. The fact that his house was one of the few that resided on some of the tougher, flatter ground of west district’s hilly surroundings helped him get away, but he still dreaded that he had to leave the hushed air for that of concrete roads and rumbling vehicles. He had seen the work of morticians, funeral directors. He had enjoyed the silence of the work. He had even enjoyed the morbid feel of working on a lifeless body, searching for their cause of death or preparing them for their families to see.

Instead, Adam worked for the police department. More specifically, the private investigation branch, which dealt strictly with nonhuman-related crimes. Being a full-blooded vampire himself, Adam had killed plenty of others, mainly suspects who would have killed him first. But to him, the act of killing didn’t hold as much appeal as it used to. Certainly, he relished in stalking the slums of south district, lurking in the shade of the old mills and factories that once ran heavily before they were relocated to the sixth-level magma chamber upon the discovery and utilization of steam power, which kept the air below and above-ground clear and generally pollution-free. And he got away with a lot more than others, considering he was the right-hand man of Daren Snow, the only living first-generation relative of the original Snow family, who colonized the island over four hundred years ago.

But the immortal Daren was in the States several hundred miles away, working on a different non-human situation with the president of the United States. Adam had always been rather envious, but Daren had noted that despite what rumors spread, it wasn’t much different than any other day, especially since their work had to be sealed away as though it had never happened. He had also been put in his place when he noted how much he would like to be like Daren, unable to die due to a lack of soul. Of course, like everyone else, Adam had only made that mistake once. Daren was miserable, and Adam didn’t want to be more miserable than he already was. After all, he could die. Daren couldn’t.

Time and again he found himself thinking about Daren Snow. Perhaps because he had worked with the man so long, and didn’t think he could run things as smoothly as his older counterpart on his own. Today was a sunny day, but the sun’s light was filtered through wide, green leaves and only dotted the green grass. Since the rainy season had just passed, the true heat of the dry season hasn't compacted the earth into a baked, difficult landscape yet. From the kitchen, Adam watched the leaves of the trees shudder in a breeze that managed its way through the thick forest-like area of west district. He didn’t want to leave the security of the high iron gates that kept out the were-beings every full moon, nor the home he loved. He didn’t like being the one everyone came to when Daren was gone. Regardless, he ran a hand through his ruffled blonde hair, not that it helped it lie down, and stalked through the first floor of his home to find his shoes.

Wavi
Awesome doesn't even begin to ex...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Eyes focused on the man before her, a sigh pursed the blonde's lips before she waved her hands in disgust. "Seriously, brother, you need to stop getting into messes such as these," her tongue clicked across the roof of her mouth as she swept over to his side. "What would the others say if they saw you in such a mess?"

"Mess? Me? Vera, I hardly find that funny," his tone had a hint of annoyance to it. If there was one thing you should take away from this moment, it is that Rurik is far from sloppy. In fact, he is almost too clean.

Pulling a key from his pocket, the white-haired lad looked from the object to the woman at his side. "Where'd this come from?"

"Oh you kleptomaniac! Have you no sense of shame? Of honor? Of… well, brains?" Her pale flitted a bit before she stepped out onto the porch, screen door swinging on its hinges before falling still. "Seriously, my brother, I don't know how I can keep doing this. You're getting worse by the day…." A twinkle in her eye seemed to prove that she was just being overly dramatic, not meaning a single word she said.

Hands raising to his head, the pale-haired male scratched his hair before dropping his shoulders into a shrug. "I honestly don't recall last night. So I can't be certain I stole that key. Might have been given it by a very attractive lass."

"Tch, yeah right. The only woman that would want you is… well, me. And I certainly don't want you in that manner! That would not only be disgusting, but also repulsive. I would rather die than… succumb to your body." Nose turned up high, she paraded around the taller figure. "But, at least you're attractive, despite the bags under your eyes."

These two bickered and bantered as if they were married. They weren't. Definitely not. Sibling was the straw they drew. The older one is the male - Rurik Lavine - the dashing, obedient, white-haired, red-eyed tall guy that rarely slept. The younger one, but definitely the one in charge is the female - Vera Lavine.

Vera, obviously known for her attitude, was a hunter. In this day and age, the city was crawling with magical beings -- or rather non-human creatures whose hidden potential threatened the planet. Rurik, though a hunter, actually served as Vera's personal assistant. He was - how would you say it - a butler/knight, in a sense. Together, they faced the world and all its creepy little creatures that were spat out from hell itself.

Holstering her pistols, Vera took a strong stride off the deck and onto the streets. Not a soul was in sight, which was exactly what she asked for when looking for her house (yes, her house). "Come along, brother. I sense a monster in the mist."

Eyes rolling, the chap hopped down the steps on the heels of his sister. Things were always interesting with these two. Perhaps it was because they lived in such a mysterious manner and always seemed to be around death.

Trekking off down the broken path toward the more populated areas of their area, Vera held that pretty little head of hers high while Rurik keep his eyes peeled for whatever vermin might try to attack them on their daily trip to the city. Seriously, you would think they would move closer to the office. But, no. Vera had to live away from people for she feared Rurik might be too much for the world to handle. Why? Well, that's a hand that can't be revealed just yet. But soon, very soon, things will start coming together....

Last edited by Wavi; 05-01-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM

It was impossible to get into town by foot from where Adam was located. In fact, he had to leave half an hour early to get to central district in time to avoid being late. Luckily enough for him, his own home was near a nicely paved road leading down into central district itself, and instead of being forced to search for an acceptable mode of transportation, Adam’s employer had been kind enough to give him one of his many vehicles. It was a black Lincoln Continental, and while being rather low to the ground, his location was gently sloped rather than drastically hilly, like his surroundings. Adam’s car took the area well enough and never complained.

When he exited the canopy of thick leaves, Adam narrowed his eyes. Like most vampires his eyes were very sensitive to UV and direct sunlight, and he kept dark sunglasses with him at every moment when outside his home, which had tinted windows to lessen the impact. The road was quiet, the morning early enough to warrant most others in bed while the urchins and street-crawlers kept to the alleys when they strayed into central district. They were normally thieves who didn’t like to be seen by most others unless they resided in their home of south district. Only the most foolish person wandered there without a good weapon. The lost were easily picked off.

Snow Island’s Department of Human and Nonhuman Affairs was possibly the largest surface building on the island. It stood sixty floor high, while delving deep into the center of the island so that the science facility, prison, and various steam-powered factories could be accessed by the series of elevators that had their own little alcove that could easily be accessed mainly by the underground garage. The garage was always open, especially early in the morning. Lucky for Adam, who pulled his car to the left and into the dark of the garage. There, he could safely remove his sunglasses without being temporarily blinded.

Adam went directly to the fiftieth floor. His desire to avoid most others stretched into his work as well, but it was also something he shared with Daren. His office was located right beside the founder’s son’s office, and being gone already, Adam could clean that office without being told off. He hated disarray, and Daren was the epitome of a category five tornado. If someone wanted to complain to him, they would know where to find him when Daren wasn’t around to say anything.

Wavi

Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Staring up at the looming tower, white-haired male wondered just what they had gotten themselves into. Ever since joining, their lives had been in a tizzy. Not that is was bad; it was just… an interesting change of events. Technically speaking, the duo had always had a history and flair for the supernatural, both being of a unique breed of humans, should you even be allowed to call them as such.

Hair being tousled in the wind, the blonde's cold blue eyes scaled that ginormous building, taking in its sheer strength, size, and wonder. It was a miracle to see such a structure during such odd times. But, alas, where there are monsters, there is money.

Forcing her way into the building, the woman and her tag-along counterpart didn't even have to show their ID tags for everyone knew their faces. They could have been impostors, but, from the guard's point of view, an impostor might have been easier to handle and less of a… liability. Vera, though skilled in her area, was a hazard to the company - a wild card that could easily turn on a dime, never giving a damn about who might lay in her wake. Rurik, on the other hand, wasn't much of a threat, or so everyone liked to claim. He merely tagged along for the sake of company, as he was believed to be monophonic. Rurik, in reality, didn't fear being alone. No, no. He feared what he might do when left alone.

Going to the thirteenth floor, the pair stepped from the metal box and onto the fine linoleum floor. Vera picked the flooring herself and she was mighty proud of it for linoleum was easy to clean. Well, easier than carpet or brick.

Vera made a bee-line for her desk while Rurik went to the tub of ice and gin. Pouring the gin into a crystal glass, he let the cool, nipping liquor sooth his dry throat. It was sharp and bittersweet, but he loved it. Perhaps he would have more? Well, he would have had the boss-lady not beckoned him.

"Yes, Vera?"

"Fetch me Adam."

"Adam?"

"Yeah. The ass on floor fifty."

"As you wish," his voice lowered as he swept into his usual bow. Flicking his silk-like hair from his face, the lanky lad wandered back into the elevator. Pushing the elliptical shaped button, he watched it lit up and how the bold "50" seemed darker against the bright background. For a second, it flickered, which caused Rurik to question the reliability of the metal death trap, but quickly dismissed it when he recalled his odds of survival - 100%.

As it rang and the door slid open, he stepped onto the floor and began the walk toward the ass' desk. Boots stomping on the floor below him, Rurik wondered if he was making too much noise. Scoffing, he shrugged it off, knowing that Vera would be pleased with his noisy approach.

"Vera requests your presence," Rurik's red eyes drifted down to spy down at the man.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Adam had taken a seat behind Daren’s large, regal desk. It’d been bought from the older man’s home itself, and really fit in with the rest of the room’s easy, dark colors. He thumbed through the papers left scattered and piled, knowing if he even dared touch them Daren would have his head and, perhaps, much more. Staring at a few images of various convicted criminals who had been busted for their werewolf-fighting rings, much more vicious and deadly than dog-fighting rings off the island.

The phone rang, startling Adam. Daren tended to tell everyone that he would be off the island before leaving, to avoid unanswered calls, but Adam knew better than to just let the thing ring. Gritting his pointed teeth, he picked up the receiver.

“Er... Daren?”

“Adam. I knew you were in my office. Bothering with my paperwork again?”

“No?”

“Adam.”

He sighed. Daren had almost a sixth-sense when he felt someone was in his office. That, or he had impeccable timing. “Fine, yes. I’m sorry, Daren, but you’re too messy for me. I don’t know how you can live in these piles of unorganized files all over.”

“Excuse me? Adam, that’s organized chaos! I know where everything is and that’s all that’s needed. Not only that, you make it sound as though I’m a hoarder.”

“I know, too much exaggeration. What did you call for, then?”

“I’m coming back early.”

Adam bit his tongue almost in shock. At that move, blood filled his mouth, and he forced himself to swallow it before speaking: “Er, how early?”

“Half an hour. I’m on the ferry now.”

“Then how are you calling?”

“The ferry’s phone. Recently it’s been dramatically updated, thanks to the scientists.”

“That’s... great!”

“You don’t sound too excited.”

“Well... I’m just distracted is all. I mean...”

“It’s fine, Adam. We’ll talk later. Just get out of my office!”

Without another word, Daren hung up on Adam and the young vampire sighed, returning the receiver to its perch. Pinching the bridge of his nose below his glasses, Adam shut his eyes. A clomping, ungraceful sound came down the hallway, however, forcing him to look up.

He’d seen this young man before. Adam had been in a rush those few times, however. When he spoke, Adam nodded. “I see.” He muttered. “Well, better to get it over with.” He stood, breezing past the one who had been sent to get him with a wide grin that showed off his sharp teeth. He didn’t like either of them. This man, or the girl he seemed to be related to. He knew Daren regretted even looking away from the first time he laid his yellow eyes upon the two. The one remaining descendant of the original Daren Snow didn’t accept those who would change his father’s vision. And the girl had already done so in his absence. Adam almost dreaded the meeting they would have. He also dreaded having to tell the woman Daren was returning and would most likely want to have a word with her.

Wavi

Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 PM

A smirk played on Rurik's lips before he returned his attention toward the elevator he previously rode in. It was always so delightful to see Adam this way. Squirming over Vera, that is. Vera was quite the odd woman to have to deal with. She was either extremely emotionally challenging, weeping and whining like the woman she was, or she was just a raging ball of hellish fury that was out for blood and pain.

Thinking of Vera in such a way even caused the pale haired male to shudder. In all honestly, he was glad to be her brother for he couldn't imagine being anyone else. Yes, he always got a nice lashing, but it was always recanted and lesser than the whippings he had watched her shell out to other unfortunate victims. Poor Adam. Had he done something to piss the harlot off? Probably.

Head shaking, he shot his eyes to Adam. "She's in a royal mood today. Sorry about that. Would be my fault… but it's always my fault." Rolling his eyes away, he laced his hands behind his head. "So, who were you on the phone with just then?" Small talk. It wasn't usually Rurik's thing but he was absolutely dreading the conversation that was about to unfold. That and he was feeling rather lonely today, as Vera wasn't playing nice. Besides, Adam was probably the only male Rurik trusted enough to talk with, if he talked about Vera that is.

Meanwhile, Vera was fuming at her desk. It had come to this, she thought with her eyes drawn toward a slip of paper. An envelop with a drop of blood was rested between her fingers. Examining it with her hawk-like eyes, the blonde wondered who dared send her such an incriminating note. Seriously, did they not know better? Blackmail rarely worked on Vera.

Prying open the tiny envelop, she tugged at the folded paper that was hidden within the off-white stationary. There, written in black ink, was a message that played a smile on her face.

"Let the hunt begin," the woman said with a nice side smirk. Licking the corner of the letter, her nose wrinkled. "My, my… you have exquisite taste, killer."