ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 AM

Oh yay, my state just went blue! /shamelessly democrat

Bound Birdie
Mistress of Mischief and Mayhem

Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 AM

Well I think people ultimate control the economy but a definitely think the government and most importantly the media have HUGE play in it. As for our education system well lets just say there is a reason I am all for it getting more money and an over haul. But free collage and health care? I'm all for being more like Canada XD
Wasn't he the libertarian Candidate?

Oh Ely I found a site that's updating everything live so far though I'm sad to say we are losing by 4% :(
It was basically "turn alcohol regulations to adult substance regulations" and just lump weed in with it. Which would be AMAZING but I think it is a huge jump for what people are used to, but still if this doesn't pass this round I know for sure it will next time. It's is already decriminalized so I can't get in trouble which is more then I can say for some people.
But I would love to be able to go to coffee shop XD

Last edited by Bound Birdie; 11-07-2012 at 05:24 AM..

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 AM

El - True, true. We live in a muddle of gray politically. It's important to have a sense of proportion but even still there's things that work and things that don't. I think the biggest issue is while most agree on the disease there's major disagreements on the cure. Which is unfortunate, as numerous plans are implemented with good intentions but have the most undesirable outcomes.

I believe in scholarly academic findings... so I guess libertarian for now.

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 AM

@Birdie: I agree with you. It would be nice if we had something going like Canada as far as healthcare. I've heard of so many Canadians that refuse to come to the U.S. because if they got hurt here it would make them go bankrupt.

@nonsense: You said that quite well. Of course, whether or not the outcomes are undesirable is up for debate as well.

---------- Post added 11-06-2012 at 10:43 PM ----------

Oh, and Birdie: Yeah, pot will be legalized in Oregon next go round if it isn't this time. Colorado is a big landmark.

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Birdie - The government has a massive hand in the economy. That's why were a mixed economy and not a free market economy. The question is whether they should, or they shouldn't. I think we can agree that people have responsibility to our fellow man. I'm a firm believer that we as people have a responsibility to our fellow mankind. Yet, the question is how do we do that most effectively? That's the problem and the biggest issue.

The problem is there's no "free lunch." It's a unfortunate myth. Neither has government sponsored education been successful nor has Canada's "free" healthcare system. To solve our healthcare crisis is not to subsidize it; that's a poor way to fix a simple problem. Goods and services can never be created without a cost. What about the return? The government by nature is very poor at offering such services and they have proven to be of lesser quality and of higher expense than the private alternatives. The government is not a cost effective machine.

The question is again, how do we best increase the access to medical care and education to the poor? In history there has never been a more effective machine for eliminating poverty and increasing the wealth of your average person than the free enterprise system. The issue is that government is very, very poor indeed with any of its endeavors. Name me a single monopoly that exists without the special government treatment or a single government program that is more effective and less costly than its private counterpart.

Yes he was.

El - Oh yes, of course! There are many a treatment that have been enacted with the best of intentions with the poorest of results. Luckily there is enough information and comparisons to come with a solid answer. For example, did minimum wage laws help or not? Does public housing work? What about Medicare, Medicate, welfare, and social security? The EPA, numerous regulatory committees, the stimulus, and so on? Sometimes it takes a good deal of research but there's solid answers for each of those questions. Along with how do we fix this, that, and the fact that I'm hungry.

Last edited by Admonish Misconstruction; 11-07-2012 at 05:51 AM..

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer
Send a message via AIM to serena yuy Send a message via MSN to serena yuy

Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 AM

@Ely: *highfives* WOO Blue states!

My state usually goes blue. Though I come from a very red county.

---------- Post added 11-07-2012 at 01:03 AM ----------

i'm getting impatient for Obama to finally make his speech. I need to go to bed soon.

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 AM

@Ser: Yup! Colorado is a very progressive state. It goes with the candidate who is the same (more progressive).

Indeed. I have class early tomorrow and want to sleep, but I can't sleep without seeing the speech.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM

You're lucky where you're 2hr behind me (so it's only 11.20 there)
It's after 1am here :( I have work at 11. But, I like to shower before bed and get up by 9.30 so I can relax before work and actually eat slowly.

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM

Yeah, but I do need to be up at 8:40 or so to go to class. Yeah, I sound whiny, but I'm one of those people who simply does not function on less than 8 hours of sleep, and I guarantee I'm not going to be able to sleep until 2 a.m.

I do think I heard that Obama is going to speak soon, though.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM

UGH! In the amount of time I have been waiting for the speeches... I could have made my tea, taken a shower, and been comfy in my jammies.
He better.
Yeah, I would like to get more than 5hr sleep tonight.

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM

Lol, I took a shower two seconds after he won Ohio.

And here he is!

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 AM

I didn't since I was still talking to Mike ^^" Though I should have showered after he won Ohio. ^^" I keep forgetting since Mike isn't in school anymore, he's not much of one to really talk politics... or anything like that for some reason.
But, Oh well, I have a bit yet to head to bed still before I can't wait anymore.
FINALLY

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 AM

Hmm. Maybe he's just kinda given up on it? :(

And yup!

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Eh, I don't know. He's never really been too politically active as I am. He did go vote. He just didn't seem too excited like I was that Obama won re-election.

I'm also just not too in the mood for a lot of talks sometimes because I'm so stressed over trying to get situated in the Library Science program and feeling out of place in it sometimes.

---------- Post added 11-07-2012 at 01:48 AM ----------

Mr. President, I do enjoy hearing you speak... But, I would like to go to bed soon. Thanks. -.-
-What I would like to say.

Edit: Oh yay, I can shower and go to bed now :D

Last edited by serena yuy; 11-07-2012 at 06:54 AM..

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 AM

He's probably like most people. He just wants to see him do stuff now that he's been given the opportunity.

Yeah, I feel ya. I'm not big on any kind of intense talk or debate right now because I'm stressed. It's like, I don't need the unnecessary bother.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Yeah, he also has mentioned he really didn't like either candidate (though I know he leans more left, so I don't think he'd have voted for romney anyway). But, I do miss how we were in 08.. But then we were just coming off of 8yrs of Bush. ^^" So we both were just excited because we were happy our guy won. This time around, we had a feeling he would win. But, I still was worried

Yeah, same here. Though I would love to talk to him about more stuff than trying to sound interested in his gaming. ^^"
Hopefully he understands that I'm just so busy with schoolwork and trying not to go completely crazy that I just don't have the time or mindframe to look up stuff and sound more into it than I am.

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 AM

In all honesty I would've voted for Romney if I didn't know he was such an ass. I also didn't like his platform. If I was voting on which one looked like an American president, Romney would win, but Obama...he acts like an American president. Romney acts like a high and mighty rich man.

Meh. Most girlfriends probably don't care about their guy's gaming life. I know you like it some, but it's not what your life revolves around. Especially since you're doing a master's. He's got to understand.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 AM

Yeah, that makes sense. Definitely. Romney acts like a high and mighty rich man. I don't think he really understood how we the "little" people really feel.
Obama I know from the research, that he came from humble beginnings. so, he may have a better understanding of how we feel and such.

Yeah, I have some interest in gaming myself, but not hardcore gaming. I like my other games.
He spends a lot of his time after work playing Minecraft, and watching vids of gaming people on youtube. Like Yogcast- group of brits, mainly play Minecraft, and other games, Continue, Pewdiepie (a Swede who does "lets play" of horror games), Game Grumps (JonTron and Egoraptor (who is known for the Awesome Series)
Oh and he'll play random online games too. I just don't have the time to sit there and watch all those vids (I'm subscribed to them all on Youtube).

Gotta head to bed, it's 3am now ^^" Night

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Mhmm. Which is what I meant earlier by saying Obama was funded by the people. I mean, yeah, he got some support from the rich people, but not like Romney who was practically only backed by rich old farts which is why he had the money to run such a huge campaign. Obama did so much grassroots campaigning this time and it worked for him because that is where he came from and people know it.

Oh, I know a couple of those youtube gamers your'e talking about. I actually really like the Yogscast, they make me lmao, especially Simon. I like to watch their minecraft vids, and I liked the Garry's Mod vids they did recently. I don't like Pewdiepie, and have never heard of the other two, though.

Online games, don't really like 'em. They want too much of my money.

Night. :)

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Last weekend I watched Yogcast's Tekkit thing where they're building a Jaffa cake factory. i needed it that weekend, made me laugh. I might watch some more once I get some more time before I go home.

Pewdiepie is ok in small doses and for a few things. He's not my fave.
I like Jon Tron and Egoraptor since they're funny on their own, but together it's awesome. So I'm subscribed to both their youtube accounts and the Game Grumps one.
Joe & Mac: Finale - Game Grumps - YouTube This video was funny. Well, I highly recommend the last 3 minutes :P

Egoraptor is an animator and animated the Awesome Series (Youtube Pokeawesome) I also do find the guy attractive ^^"

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM

El - Obama was funded more by the people than Romney, no doubt. They still needed those massive backers. I think it was %60 of Obama's contributions were from the 'very wealthy'. While I think it was around %70-75 for Romney... I think those were the 2011 numbers. With Super PACs and all that it's a massive math problem to wade through. There's a clear reason why both President Obama and Romney attended so many fundraisers, why Romney visited business men so often, or why Obama visited silicon valley so much.

Both ended up have a ton of money so I don't think money was ever a issue xD. More like Romney's campaign manager was a dolt.

Last edited by Admonish Misconstruction; 11-07-2012 at 05:46 PM..

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM

@Ser: Hahaha, I have seen the entirety of the Yogscast Tekkit series except the last couple episodes which I need to catch up on. Wait till you get farther in, it gets even better. XD

Haha, omg, kitties. And they're munchkin kitties which makes it so much cuter. ^.^

@nonsense: Mmhmm, Obama would have also been visiting silicon valley because Californians are his biggest supporters.

Bound Birdie

Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 PM

O.O I'm not sure who fucked up but my rent check just got cashed twice over and I'm gonna kill people at the bank

ElysiumFate

Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 PM

That's not cool. O.o I hope you can get it fixed.

Bound Birdie

Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM

I'm on the phone with them now and I'm seriously hoping it's just looks like I'm overdrafted 600 and that they didn't actually put the same check through. It's even listing the same number so it' obviously one check so it should be a quick fix.
This is that whole direct withdrawl thing we were talking about earlier.