salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-03-2016, 04:51 PM

Is anyone else here a fan of dystopian novels?

Examples include:

Brave New World
The Giver series
Pretties series
The Hunger Games

Rosen

Old 03-13-2016, 04:24 PM

Kind of.
The thing about Dystopian novels, is I love exploring worlds similar but different to ours or theories of what the world would be like with those kinds of changes. But they also leave an odd taste in my mouth. They give way to a lot of thought though.

I specifically read 1984 in highschool, and overall I liked it but never quite finished it.

Has anyone read Ready Player One? I absolutely loved that one, and although set in a dystopic type world, it had a positive ending I didn't really expect of it. Paired with it's references to old pop culture and the virtual life it set up was really interesting to me, especially since I have a huge interest in virtual reality. It was odd to consider the downsides virtual reality could provide to our future.

I find a lot of Dystopic novels leave me concerned for technology and the power it could hold, and I think that's part of the sour taste it leaves in my mouth because I really adore technology with a passion.

hanahaki disease
wistful

Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 AM

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the genre itself but I'm a fan of certain books of the genre. Delirium by Lauren Oliver was one of the best I've read in the genre as yet. I love it, really recommend it. There's two others in the series but she'd originally meant it as a standalone novel and it's perfect that way in my opinion. 1984 is on my list, going to get to that one soon.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-27-2016, 05:05 PM

I haven't read Ready Player One or Delirium yet, but I might keep an eye out for those the next time I want a book to read! Thank you for the recommendations!

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 05-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Ready Set Player One is soooooooo good! I loved all of the old pop culture references.

I read 1984 in high school as well, and I never really finished it either. It was really good, I just didn't want to read all of it I guess? I'm not sure why.

Little Sister
A bear in avatar clothing

Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Ready Player One is fantassstic.
And I sort of have a love/hate relationship with dystopian fiction. Like, I love it when it's good and picks on the things that are wrong (or could go wrong if we continue down the track we're on) with current society, but when it's purely hypothetical it's lame.
Also, I dislike when they use the dystopia as just a backdrop for a teen romance. Like, fine, have some teen romance in your dystopia, but please don't make that the whole point of the world.
A great dystopian novel that's a bit like 1984 is "Blind Faith" by Ben Elton. Highly recommend. It does touch on tech being an issue though so you might want to bear that in mind Rosen. It's sort of about what happens in a society where oversharing via social media is not only normal but expected.

Typically Untypical
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-12-2016, 02:44 AM

Honestly it depends on how well the book was written. But I can honestly say Ready Player One was one of my favorite books and it was a dystopian novel.

I didn't see the previous posts until after I responded, but I see that the person above me also loved Ready Player One. It makes me so happy, but she had a point. One story I read, that had so much potential to be a great novel, was pretty bad dystopian writing because it spent more time on the love story then it did on the fact that society was brainwashing their children to make the world a "better" place.

Also I guess I'm going to have to add Blind Faith to my reading list.

Mercygrim96 A lot of times it is because in high school it's hard to appreciate what you are told to read, at least that's how it was for me.

Last edited by Typically Untypical; 05-12-2016 at 02:52 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 05-14-2016, 12:06 AM

I'm definitely interested in dystopian (and utopian) fiction. I think of these genres as really being two sides of one genre, because one person's utopia might be someone else's dystopia. Then there is also the overlapping genre of apocalypse fiction.

Let's see, what have I read? (I had to consult Goodreads to remind myself, haha).
  • Brave New World
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Giver
  • The Postman
  • Into the Forest
  • Never Let Me Go
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • Shades of Grey (NOT the 50 ones)
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Herland (a utopian one)
  • The Handmaid's Tale. (That one really scares me, I cried last time I read it.)

Huh, guess I've read more than I realized.

I've heard Ready Player One, so that's on my list of things to read. I was just looking at my shelves, and I have a fair number of dystopian/utopian fiction on my "To Read" shelves:
  • The Dog Stars
  • Ecotopia
  • Illusive
  • Parable of the Sower
  • Utopia
  • Oryx and Crate
  • Snow Crash
  • The Road
  • The Maze Runner
  • The Diamond Age
  • The City of Ember
  • The Girl with All the Gifts

Then of course there is all the dystopian fiction I've watched as movies and shows (some of which are based on books), but that's a whole other long list that I won't get into right now.