Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 06-14-2017, 11:14 PM

I've been really into listening to audiobooks lately. I just never make time to sit down and read. > u>; And I can listen while driving to and from work, so it's great. What do you guys think of audiobooks? O:

The latest I'm listening to is Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan, narrated by the author himself! It makes me cry every time I listen to it. ; w; I think I might try listening to the tortall books by tamora pierce soon. I hear it has a full cast. O:

Jellywish
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Kent:
I've never listened to an audio book in a super long time...I used to read them as a child to learn to read c':
That was like 20 years ago xD
It was Robert Munch books I think...?
I wonder what kind of audio books they have now for my age :o

What was your book about? :D

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 07-20-2017, 12:29 AM

There are audiobooks for all kinds of books nowadays~

The book I listened to was about several different homosexual boys, but mainly about two boys who try to beat the world record for longest kiss. It was a really interesting book and I quite liked the characters~ I think it was mostly comparing what it was like for homosexuals during the aids epidemic and what it's like for them in modern times. It was very sentimental. ; w;

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 AM

I can't get into audiobooks because I zone out unless I'm reading the words myself. I'll read along with some audio books in special cases. Like when tamora pierce narrated her own book <3

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM

It's just like listening to the radio or a podcast though~ Most people do it while driving or doing some mundane task. X3

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 PM

Yeah I can't do that. I can't focus on it and I want to know the story not miss but s and pieces. And music I'm usually dancing and singing along to. Or put on something like classical I don't need to listen to just to have background sound.

I'm a bit different though :P

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 01:55 AM

I like audiobooks when I'm cleaning the house but usually default to Netflix or a DVD instead. Audiobooks are best for long trips! I travel quite a lot so they really help kill time when I've got 3 hours or more to drive from point A to point B.

If you haven't heard of them, there's also such a thing as "graphic audio." They're audiobooks, but they're acted out and have sound effects! They advertise as "movies in your mind." So instead of one person reading the book straight to you, changing their own voice to try and match different characters, they actually have a different actor for each character! And if there's a battle going on in a fantasy novel, you're going to hear swords clashing and mens' screams. If a monster is attacking a village, you'll hear dragons breathing fire and the chaos that ensues. You hear splashes when someone jumps into a river, a knight's horse neighing, etc. They are absolutely fantastic!

You can browse their selection at graphicaudio.net. You can buy CDs or download MP3s. (I highly recommend Blue Moon Rising, from the Forest Kingdom Saga.) They do major works, too, best-selling books and famous franchises, not just unheard-of works by unknown authors. I even noticed they started carrying these CDs at bookstores but first discovered them at a gas station when I was on the road and looking for something to kill the boredom and keep me awake.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 10-03-2017, 01:53 AM

Oh, man, I've been totally wanting to check out graphic audios! I think I will soon~ There are several at the library I work at, so I'll probably borrow one. I saw them recently at a pilot gas station too! I thought it was totally cool that they sold them~ Seemed like a nice selection too.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 PM

As I am currently preparing to move across the country I am preparing some audio books for the trip. Currently Tom Clancy, and hopefully the Lord of the Rings as well so far.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM

i might be able to get into it with sound effects. hmmm. i may have to try something like that. But i still feel like i'm going to have the same problem. xD

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 AM

My Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit audio books arrived yesterday this trip is going to be so fun.
I don't know if it comes with sound effects. I sorta hope so.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 10-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Oh~ I hope they're dramatized. Would love to listen to those too. O:

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 PM

I do know it's unabridged though so it's like 63 hours long.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 10-26-2017, 12:52 AM

Wow. XD Perfect for a long trip. O:

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 10-26-2017, 01:14 AM

Yeah... but my issue lies in what I do when I arrive and I have several hours more to go

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 01-12-2019, 06:16 AM

I used to ride my bike home everyday from work about 2 miles and I would listen to audio books. I would also listened on my lunch break at work. So i could still play animal crossing and feel productive. Lol

I always loan them from the digital library. I like Libby the best. The only problem is I only got half way through crazy rich Asians and it auto returned and the wait list is so long to get it back. So I don’t know if I’ll ever hear the ending.

I listened to 8 audio books last year.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 01-12-2019, 09:48 PM

Yeah, wait lists for digital library audiobooks and books can be so long. XD Sometimes I just get the physical audiobook cuz it's much easier to obtain and I can usually renew it several times before someone requests it. X3 I understand physical wouldn't work for when you're cycling to and from work though. XD I do believe people can make copies of CDs and download them into their iTunes library/computer, but I think that's sorta illegal? o vo; I was listening to a kids book called Star Darlings (vol 3) and someone had requested it so I have to wait to listen to the rest now. ; o; The wait shouldn't be too long though.

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM

I don't think copying the cd to your own iTunes is illegal. I think it's sharing it that is? But I honestly have no idea. I don't have a cd drive anyways.

I have a 6 cd player in my car which is funny. I bought some cheap cds to play in it for when my blue tooth decides it doesn't want to work (happens sometimes). I hope to be getting a GPS system soon so I won't have the cd player much longer.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 AM

I love audio books. I've been able to cram so many more books into my schedule by listening to them. I get mine online from the library (the Libby app) and through Libro.fm. They partner with indie bookstores (like where I work) so that you can support your local store when you buy audiobooks, and I just love them. [/shameless but sincere plug] I've been slowly collecting the Harry Potter series from them and re-listening to it while the boyfriend reads the book for the first time.

I'm listening to The Phantom Tollbooth right now, read by Raine Willson (aka Dwight Schrute, aka Harry Mudd) and it is delightful! He does a great job with the puns and wordplay and silly characters. A++