Flying Wings
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to Flying Wings

Old 04-08-2007, 01:01 AM

I've recently been watching Card Captor Sakura. ^^ I forgot how the English one sounded(didn't bother to look for one..) like but good thing that the Japanese one was subtitled. <3 It was unusual but I got use to it. :3 Then I watched the English one because I couldn't find the 4th part(DD:) and Sakura's voice was so ugly and bleh! DD: It was so unlike their personality and what I imagened to be! ;.;

Discuss. <3

xDark_Midnightx
⊙ω⊙
Banned
Send a message via MSN to xDark_Midnightx

Old 04-08-2007, 02:53 AM

I'm used to the japanese one too
It's kinda strange
If u listen to a different language and it sounds high pitched (more then the other/lighter).
U get used to it
Personally I like the japa. one better
u? :P

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 AM

I watch dubs when they are done well. I like subs also...

As for CCS, the thing that made it unwatchable for me (The dub) was that they mispronounced Sakura, every time they said it... It was frustrating...

icyMOTHA
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-08-2007, 04:00 AM

For me, the only series I could stand so far dubbed is Trigun. But that's partially because I had no choice.

Personally, I believe all animes sound better in their original Japanese form, because the characters actually sound the way they should.

Perfect example : Evangelion.
Rei's Japanese voice actress pulled off being monotoned without sounding fake. But the English voice actress sounded...fake. She sounded like she was trying to emulate Rei's Japanese voice.

Panyo Panyo DiGi Charat is another great example. Dejiko's voice is friggin annoying in the english! And it's cute in the Japanese! She's supposed to be cute, not annoying. D:

So I usually try to stick with subs, unless there is no other way and I'm DYING to see the series.
But that's just my opinion. <3

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 AM

There are a few shows I actually prefer dubbed. Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, for instance. Though I never much cared for Legato's dubbed voice. D: It was too grating.

Excel Saga is amazingly crackaliciously great no matter what language it is. xD

But for the most part, go original content go. The issue with American dubs is that the number of available voice actors is small, and more often than not they're either A) bad, or B) unable to change their voice to sound like anything else.

Like with Spike's American VA. I see him everywhere, and every time, my brain goes "OMGEE. SPIKE."

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 AM

It would be kind of hard to watch subs for something like Stand Alone Complex, considering the complexity of the conversations that usually take place. Other than that, I usually prefer my anime subb'd

Shloobi
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Wings
I've recently been watching Card Captor Sakura. ^^ I forgot how the English one sounded(didn't bother to look for one..) like but good thing that the Japanese one was subtitled. <3 It was unusual but I got use to it. :3 Then I watched the English one because I couldn't find the 4th part(DD:) and Sakura's voice was so ugly and bleh! DD: It was so unlike their personality and what I imagened to be! ;.;

Discuss. <3
when i first watched ccs it was in english because i live in the UK, but i have since watched some episodes in japanese with english subs, and i watched the second movie like that too, and i think in some ways i prefer the japanese version, because there is stuff in the dialogue that they leave out in the english version
It was confusing at first though, because most of the names are different in the japanese version than the english, so it took a little bit to get used to.....
but after that i'd say i would watch the japanese version over the english one, as long as it was subbed ^^

since then i've watched a lot of anime with subs instead of dubbed and it just seems to be more authentic

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-08-2007, 02:56 PM

FLCL was a good dub in my opinion... And how could you watch Ghost Stories any other way? ^.^;

Witch
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 PM

• I almost never watch english dubbed anime. ^^;; Maybe when I was very young, but almost never again now.

But in the television, sometimes those kind of english dubbed anime would show up and if the series are ones that I have never watched then I would let myself following them.

But it's kind of harder actually when you have watch the original Japanese version, because there are often a different meaning translated by the English translation, or the voice actors couldn't make the correct voice tones to fit the situation or the character's expression.

Those kind of bad dubbing or subtitles that being made without obvious attempt of decent quality control, usually I would stop watching even if there are episodes that I haven't watched from the original Japanese version. ^^;;

I would rather spend more cash to get the version with better translation and dubbing works, or simply get the original Japanese DVD because even if the transation might seem gramatically awkward sometime, at least the seiyuu/voice actors would sound more fitting to the characters. ^^

Evenoix
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Evenoix Send a message via MSN to Evenoix

Old 04-08-2007, 05:25 PM

I like Naruto in japenese, I think it is something about japenese voice actors, they seem to do a better job than those of amercia...Then again I can understand japenese when I hear it so it has to help...

has anyone else noticed how they just mutliate the way the voices should be in english? Maybe it is just me... but i hate seeing it that way..... I guess I am just wierd that way!

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenoix
I like Naruto in japenese, I think it is something about japenese voice actors, they seem to do a better job than those of amercia...Then again I can understand japenese when I hear it so it has to help...

has anyone else noticed how they just mutliate the way the voices should be in english? Maybe it is just me... but i hate seeing it that way..... I guess I am just wierd that way!
Yeah.... I hate american sakura and kakashi...
Kakashi's jus' doesn't fit his laid back personality... and sakura's just makes her even MORE annoying.. which is something I thought was impossible until I saw the dub.

[ morph ]
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-08-2007, 06:57 PM

i as well like the japanese better compared to the english dub.

Zurie
ʘ‿ʘ
n/a

Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 PM

• There's only one anime that I've watched in Japanese before, and yes, that was of course one of the Sailor Moon movies. I didn't quite like it in Japanese, though, since I was so accustomed to the English voice actors.

Though, I'm probably gonna hafta say that I'd prefer watching Disgaea in Japanese(even though I haven't yet) just because Flonne and Laharl's voices piss me off. Dx

And I did watch FFVII: Advent Children in Japanese and liked it because the Japanese voice actors just sounded a bit better, even though it was awesome knowing that Vincent was voiced by Spike Spiegel, Barrett was voiced by Jet Black, Tifa was voiced by the latest Josie from the Josie and the Pussycats movie, and Yuffie was voiced by the girl that played Ann in Arrested Development. (They can say it's Christie Carlson Romano, but she only did the first Kingdom Hearts and then in Kingdom Hearts 2 and Advent Children she might've done the more action-y noises, like all the "Hi Ya!" and grunts during the battle sequences.)

violetfaerie
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to violetfaerie

Old 04-09-2007, 04:41 AM

Hmmmm...

I would have to say, for Gundam Seed and Escaflowne I defintely prefer them in English...

Most of the other anime that I watched like Real About High School, Fushiqi Yuuqi, etc. I watched and enjoyed in Japanese.

I guess it depends on the storyline, if I somehow saw it on cable first in English...and if any of the voice actors annoy me...

I do have this insane habit of going back over the whole anime again, and watching it in each language to see which I prefer....

I did that for RahXephon. Defintely Japanese....is waaay better. English isn't bad, but it takes a lot of getting use too, and you understand the storyline a lot better in Japanese. xDDD

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 AM

I prefer Dragon Ball in English. @___@ DB in Japanese was... weird. A woman did almost all the voices, so they were all high pitched...

The Slayers was also dubbed pretty well. Lisa Ortiz=LOVE.

Other than that, I prefer subbed versions. Japanese voice actors seem to match their characters better.

Although the woman who did Asuka for EVA matched Asuka's personality in real life perfectly. She's a real... not nice woman. xD I saw her at Otakon a few years ago and she just sort of sneered at people who tried to get her autograph when she wasn't doing her autograph signings and I didn't actually see her speak to any fans.

Feurity
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 AM

I prefer the subbed versions, just because I can't watch a dubbed anime without going "OMG it's -insert other character here-." Also I think that you get truer dialogue in the subs, because when an anime is dubbed they also have to match the words to the movements of the character's mouth.

They obviously didn't take advantage of the way Kakashi's mouth never MOVES in the anime version of Naruto, because his dialogue alters greatly. Also Kakashi seems much to serious to play the part he has! I could see him (the seiyuu) as, say, Itachi or Kabuto, but definately not Kakashi.

Also in One Piece, Seiji's seiyuu... argh. He's supposed to be suave, not stupid! They definately hit a FAIL on One Piece.

That reminds me. Once, I snorted wasabi on a dare... in the extreme pain that followed (I am told I cried blood) all I could think was, "This must be how One Piece felt when it was being dubbed!" which is an excellent quote from Ansem Retort.

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 04-09-2007, 08:14 AM

oh lordy there are a ton of these yes? Love Hina, Bastard!, and Azumanga Dioh immediately jump to mind as things that should NOT be watched in English.. ever.. especially love hina.. cause bloody hell the voice actor sounds like a friggin hick and it grates on your nerves SO much! as for Bastard! its not nearly as funny as it is in Japanese.. and same goes for azumanga dioh. in general i think they all sound better in their original language and you reading subtitles.

oi_pinoy
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Japanese 100%. Haha.. I'm contented with subtitles.

Buckwheat Noodles
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via Yahoo to Buckwheat Noodles

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM

I generally prefer things with the original language with subtitles, but... I make a few exceptions. Hayao Miyazaki's works are often awesome- if not even better- with the English voice actors for me. Some specifics are Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa, and Mononoke Hime. *Nods*

SkyPirate
*^_^*

Old 04-09-2007, 08:13 PM

I prefer it in English. Most English voice actors I find do a great job. And since I don't speak Japanese, it just sounds like nothing to me, where as I can hear emotion in the voices of English actors. It's not critisizing Japanese voice actors, it's simply that I don't understand the language, and it's so different from English that it's not even like I can pick it up.

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 PM

I can watch either. I usually watch it in English because I'm too lazy to change the language track and nowadays the dubbing is pretty damn professional. If I really enjoy the movie, I'll watch it in both languages to catch different nuances.

The only anime I ever thought had a completely unwatchable dub was "Love Hina". The English version got all the voices wrong. But then, that whole anime sucked utter ass compared to the manga anyhow.

Ryuchii
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 AM

xD To me I perfer japanese 1000000% I don't mind subtitles cuz I can read pretty fast. Some animes are really nice dubbed too...

some examples:
-Digimon
-Neon Gensis

Tianfu
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 AM

I can't stand ANY anime series dubbed. I don't like foreign movies dubbed as a rule, with the only exception of those theatrically released by big companies (such as the Miyazaki movies), since usually spend enough time and money to get good voice actors. The original language is almost always the best.

naruru
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-10-2007, 12:48 AM

I don't support anime dubbed. They have the worst voice actors in the world!!! ;_;

The Silent Doll
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 AM

I've really gotten into Makai Senki Disgaea, as of late;
This is an anime based off of the wonderful game Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.
I prefer the english voices for the characters, myself...
I honestly always like the english voices, more than I do watching shows or movies in japanese with english subtitles.