Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Cian was ready to rip up the little letter. It was a disgusting little insult. If Layland didn't care, why did he keep trying to remind Cian that he existed? The man was already on his mind day and night---the past two days had been torture so far. He growled at it, flattening it on the table and using a pen to scribble on the message. But for some reason he didn't toss it away. Why? He was dying inside and he didn't throw the horrible message away. He would fail his classes and be forced into trying to compete with his uncle. He sighed outwardly, shaking ad lowering his head until the bell rang. Layland was in the whole fiasco too, but it wasn't Cian's fault. He had, yes, drank the potion, but he assumed it was for him. It was in his locker, and not signed with a name indicating who it was meant for. For all Layland considered, he was awfully thoughtless.

He stood on shaking legs and halfheartedly slid his bag onto his shoulder, taking his lunch trash and throwing it away, and forcing himself to go to his sculpting class. He stepped in only for a moment, asking about what he missed yesterday and writing it down. He glanced at the chalkboard to see the current task at hand---there was no weekly project it seemed, as the area below was erased, so Cian wrote the current project down and left the room, feeling he could do the tasks at home. Yesterday's sculpting was with wood, and they were to make an intricate bird. Today's was with the same, but it had to be a known vehicle.

He thought about Layland as he walked. He both loved and hated the man and the feelings conflicted so fiercely he felt he was actually in a relationship that seemed to be coming to an end on one half. As if Layland was wanting out and being horrible so that Cian would end it first. But there was no end. It was all Cian. He went outside, finding his usual tree and sliding down to sit. Against himself, he pulled out the note he'd scribbled on and glared at it as if it were Layland. But he couldn't pull off the right kind of glare that would intimidate. It was a rather sad thing---Cian was barely intimidating, but he could get loud. Obviously he had surprised Layland when he screamed at the man, but he didn't want to do it again. He hated it. He hated being unable to focus on his work. On his art. He put his head between his knees and rolled the paper between his fingers.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Once Layland had finished grading the freshman tests with overly dramatic red pen flourishes, he gathered his things together. Grading had calmed his mind though. He could almost forget the lover potion disaster if he stared down at the paper's hard enough. The only other thing he had to do that day was check in on his second experiment. He didn't check it often because it progressed with such a slow pace. An inactive sort of thing that just needed data recording every couple of days. Not all parts of science were exciting, but he loved the data collecting stages almost as much as final results.

It took ten minutes in the lab to deal with his experiment. With that finished, Layland decided he was finished. He walked outside, heading for his car, but he found his feet walking the wrong direction. The art building glared at him a couple yards away and he hesitated outside the doors. He used to love walking by the building because it made him feel closer to poppy girl. None of that joy came to him now. He barely thought of her at all these past few days. Instead, his thoughts were on Cian. Why did he think about him so much? It wasn't like the love potion worked both ways. Shaking his head, he hurried away.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 PM

He had finally forced himself to stand, fighting back the pitiful urge to cry yet again. This time, though, he wanted to cry in frustration, annoyance, anger... the only way he knew he could get the feeling out without hurting himself or something nearby. He couldn't help but acknowledge the resentment he felt toward his parents now---they had kept him away from other people, making him rely on them and only them. Cian couldn't help but feel it was some kind of conspiracy and as such, started disliking them more and more. Despite the money they were putting down to send him here---though it was little more than a few cents as far as they were concerned---Cian had begun to despise them. He couldn't talk to anyone without feeling as if he were naked for the world to see because of them. And it had brought this upon him and enthralled him in such a convoluted concept.

His hand was grinding the note he still held as he walked slowly down the only main road that went away from the college, back to his rental house. His legs were uneasy, they felt weak though somehow they still carried him. He couldn't help but imagine Layland beside him. Perhaps a kinder version of the man. Sweet. Caring. He seriously doubted the real Layland could be anything near that. Cruel, self-absorbed, driven by an ambition that preferred to crush any in his way so he could get what he wanted. Maybe he saved that girl from a sad life, but he didn't feel like he did. Layland probably felt trapped too, but it was his own doing. What cretin would basically drug someone into loving them? Cian shook his head, sighing forcefully. He had to sleep... Even if he dreamed of Layland.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 AM

Layland spent a couple days getting his grades back on top. He spent time in the lab only when he needed to be and things really did seem to be getting back to normal. Working on a cure got put on a back burner, but it was never totally forgotten. How could he forget? He still had the drawing and the coin to remind him even if he avoided the art building. Which each passing day, he slept a little less although he showed it only by being colder and calmer than usual. No matter how hard he tried to ignore the unexpected turn in his life, it affected him.

That Friday, he sat in the library after helping with the early morning freshman class. A textbook sat open in front of him as he studied for his test later that afternoon. He dragged a hand through his hair every few seconds and tapped the coin Cian gave him against the table. For some reason, he had taken to carrying it around. He found himself wondering how the other man was doing. Maybe he was better off if he didn't see Layland, as if that might lessen the affects of the love.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 AM

As each day passed Cian managed to sleep, but always dreamed of Layland. The dreams were all embarrassing, and woke him up prematurely, often in the middle of the night. He begrudgingly finished the portrait, making a point not to harm it, ruin it, make it ugly in any way. He avoided any instance that might put him within eyesight of Layland, feeling like the first zombie at the start of an apocalypse. When he looked in a mirror Cian found himself drawn, with dark circles under his eyes, and his hair was limp and dull. He looked exhausted. He felt it. He probably felt worse than he looked, but nonetheless he focused in his classes and managed to catch up and keep up in his sculpting class.

He sighed, feeling drained and listless while his mind dwelled on Layland. Cian kept a hand on the wall beside him as he walked as if he had suddenly lost his sight, looking up when a door met his hand. He could do with some reading. Fiction to distract him. He went through the shelves and pulled random novels off the shelves, setting them down on one of the tables and setting his bag beside him. He barely glanced at the covers, flipping one open and staring at the first chapter. He stared a little too hard, forgetting what he was doing and closing his eyes, dozing over the book and immediately seeing an image of Layland burst into his mind's eye.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 03:45 AM

Layland lifted his head and rubbed his eyes tiredly. He was having a hard time concentrating on the images and letters on the page that would have been gibberish to anyone but a chemist. Even as a child though, he'd been looking at things like this. As he looked around the room, he saw that it had gotten more crowded. A certain person stood out to him though. "He's here?" Layland snapped under his breath.

He closed his book with too loud of a thump, but he didn't care. If Cian was here, then Layland could not be. He grabbed his book and some papers before hurrying toward the front door. He had to walk right by the table Cian was at and Layland quickened his pace more. It looked like the other student was sleeping, but he still had no intention of being seen. Just as he was passing the table though, he tripped over a water bottle that was just peeking out from behind a table leg. "Damn it!" Layland fell forward onto the table, his papers spilling over its surface right in front of Cian.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 AM

He blinked and squinted at the page he hadn't turned quite yet. Romeo and Juliet. That was a painful turn of events. Grimacing, he closed the book and set it aside, drawing on the table with his finger and feeling as if he were about to pass out. His half-nap hadn't lasted long when the daydreams started to take very interesting turns to somewhat depraved.

He gasped when someone tripped, spilling his things all over the table Cian was sitting at alone. Glancing around it, his heart both sank and fluttered when he recognized Layland immediately, and went back into his chair as the man began to gather himself and stand. He didn't speak at first---after so long of somehow avoiding the man Cian didn't want to risk a new influx of emotions that would probably drive him entirely insane. It was already hard to deal with the lack of focus. So he put a hand over the spilled papers and watched them rearrange themselves, stack neatly, and settle onto the books that had come to rest in an upended manner near the other end of the table. "Sorry you tripped..." He muttered, not quite looking at Layland as the papers finally came to a quiet rest on the corner of the table.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 AM

Layland kept his eyes away from Cian's and muttered a quick apology for dropping all his things. He didn't waste time and grasped for the papers only to pause with his arm outstretched. Cian did nothing more than hold a hand over the papers and they settled into a neat stack. No touching, no room for any kind of tricks. The papers simply moved on their own power.

"H-how? You just...how did those papers move?" he finally asked. Was he really this tired? He picked up his things again and ran a hand over his eyes, barely suppressing a sigh. He waited for Cian to laugh at him, or ask what he'd been sniffing. Layland was the last person to take any kind of drug, but he was sure that what he had see some kind of drug effect. This wasn't the first time he'd experienced something strange near Cian either. Some kind of transferal chemical...a side effect of the love potion that was triggered by their pheromones mingling? Which made no sense whatsoever, but Layland was running out of ideas.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 AM

Cian shrugged a little, shifting a bit in his seat and lowering his gaze to the book that had been underneath Romeo and Juliet. War of the Worlds. He shook his head. "I just... do." He muttered. "It's... what I can do. Me. And my parents. And aunts and uncles. My grandparents and great grandparents... I'm not sure where the gift started but it was a long time ago. That's why I'm here. I want to do art, and my jewelry, but my parents want me to be a magician like them, like my uncle. They don't use their real names so no one really knows the Redican name unless they know my family personally." And there weren't many of them left. His parents had been pushing him to find a relationship, have a kid---hopefully a girl, they mused---but he was too deathly afraid of people. He understood sexuality but was never fully aware of what, exactly, he was.

Cian snorted, shaking his head. "Probably sounds like stupid witchcraft to a chemist, I guess." He muttered.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 AM

Layland really, really should have walked away. The entire reason he tripped was because he wanted to avoid Cian. He found himself pulling a chair closer and dropping into it though. He listened carefully to what Cian had to say and watched his face carefully. He was looking for signs of a lie, or delusion. Something that could be detected in the face, but Cian's voice held no lie in it.

"You're right, this does sound ridiculous to me. Are you really trying to tell me that what you do is...magic?" he asked. "Not false trickery and illusion? Look, if you're tying to mystify me into liking you, it's not going to work. I'm a man of science. There's just absolutely no way that magic can exist." His words didn't come out as forceful as they should have. Doubt had room to worm in, even though the existence of magic would destroy everything he thought about the world. It was impossible, but he couldn't explain what he had seen. "No, of course not. When you say magician, you mean illusionist. You just don't want to tell me how the trick is done."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 AM

Cian let out a breath, standing and grasping his bag. "Fine, you don't have to believe me. But a true scientist would want to see further examples before jumping to a conclusion. And I don't intend to garner your affections by showing you petty tricks. I don't want to. I just want to sleep without dreaming of you." He shook his head, pushing down the verbal lashing that wanted to smash through his clenched teeth and assault Layland. "That's not the point here. My point is, if you want unfiltered proof of my abilities being either false or true, you can come with me or take me to a place that I can't possibly manipulate through preset tricks or fishing line or smoke and mirrors. I'd assume a chemist---a scientist---would want that. Would want to establish a hypothesis and test it in some way." He sighed heavily. Somehow being near total exhaustion let him speak clearly. Almost as clearly as if he had been drinking, only he was still in his right state of mind.

He stood up straight, and managed to raise his head to look right at Layland. His amethyst eyes were probably dull and lifeless, perhaps bloodshot.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 07:13 AM

Layland watched Cian stand, then stood up himself a second later. He grit his teeth at the insult to his scientist nature, but Cian was right. One test result was not viable for an experiment. A series of observations were needed. He told himself that was the reason that he was about to go along with this. Not because he found himself curious.

"I accept your logic. Can you prove it to me in the parking lot behind the administration building. It would be abandoned at this time of day." He checked his watch. Indeed, the offices had closed an hour ago. He looked into Cian's tired eyes with a hint of challenge in his own. Maybe he wanted to be proven wrong, but he didn't think so. He just wanted to understand how Cian did what he did. Maybe the 'magic' was science after all, just something no one understood yet.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Cian nodded once and looked away from Layland's intent gaze. "Sure." He muttered, stepping around his chair and pushing it in, not quite looking at Layland and walking out of the library. He didn't put his books back, but was too tired to try to go back. The energetic outside called, the administration building parking lot. Out there the bright light and warm air would wake him up. Out there they'd be alone. Out there he wouldn't have to worry about others seeing what he could do as long as he could prove it to one person. When it was crowded, he didn't have to concern himself with the masses seeing.

Halfway there he rolled up his sleeves. It got a little stuffy in the south and always wearing long sleeves did make his arms itch. He studied them, as if looking for unusual mark or strange formations, but found none. There were days he had his arms crossed and his nails dug into his skin so hard they drew blood. An issue he had started to try to remedy, though there were no scars to show.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 AM

Layland led the way to the parking lot. He occasionally stole glances at Cian, just trying to observe more. He had no reason to be staring now, but curiosity was deep in his nature. Every puzzle needed someone to solve it and he liked to be that person. Before long, they reached the parking lot and Layland looked around. "There's no one here but us," he quickly ascertained. Leaning against some middle class person's car, he crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow at Cian.

"What do you plan to do now? You must know by now I won't be easily swayed, so I hope for your sake that you've got something pretty impressive to show me," he said in that simple, dismissive tone he often used with freshman. He didn't even notice when he slipped into it considering how much of a habit it was. This just felt too much like dealing with those young brats who came in with completely unfounded hypothesizes and were surprised when they failed.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 AM

When Cian stopped in the middle of the parking lot, he breathed in and out shakily, feeling his usual shyness return under Layland's gaze. "Fine. I'll skip the stupid hat tricks..." He muttered, reaching into his bag and pulling a young dove from the main compartment. It struggled until he released it and it flapped away, lighting in a tree nearby. "... And I'll get into serious things." With that he stepped back, trying to ignore his racing heart, and studied his surroundings. Loose rocks, leaves, even lawn clippings that hadn't yet been raked up. He lifted his hands and as he did so, air began moving. It picked up drastically, lifting the stones, the clippings, the fallen leaves, and swinging them through the air. It resembled a whirlwind, but was kept in check by Cian's concentration. The stones circled Layland in rings that could resemble Saturn's own rings, and the leaves and lawn clippings billowed out as if in a dome to encircle them.

Perhaps it was too much. Perhaps he went overboard. But no one could simply organize something like this, he knew it. He pushed his hands out to his sides, and the dome exploded, sending the clippings and leaves all over the grounds and parking lot. The stones circling Layland clattered to the ground and bounced away. Cian pulled the 'I'm sorry' note out of his bag and showed it to Layland, and in his hands it began to smoke and turn to ash. "Can you believe me now?" He demanded. Or should... should I... should I hit you to make sure you're not dreaming?" He faltered near the end, looking down.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM

As Cian let a dove loose from his bag, Layland was about to scoff. How could that not be a parlor trick? He didn't have a chance to say that though as the wind suddenly picked up. Something--he couldn't even begin to say what--lifted the leaves and rocks off of the ground. He stood frozen as the rocks spun around him like some kind of movie special effect. Except he could feel the wind, smell the grass clippings. He couldn't even react, not until the entire show was over and the detritus clattered to the ground. He stared at Cian, his mouth opening and closing without words a few times before he dropped down to sit on the pavement.

"I'm dreaming...I'm on drugs. There are definitely drugs in the air. Mushrooms, yes, definitely mushrooms," Layland said with his wide eyes never leaving Cian. He shook his head because he couldn't believe what he was saying. Hallucinations should not have been this real. "You're amazing." The words just slipped out, not seeming significant next to what he'd just witnessed. He glanced at the ash left behind by the note. "If you really want to hit me though, I'm not going to stop you. You burned my note...I guess you didn't believe it?" he asked.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM

Cian copied Layland, sitting heavily on the ground. He hadn't mastered every trick under the sun, but it cost a good deal of energy to manipulate such a large area, and it was energy he just didn't have. "I can't hit you. I'm not that strong. And your note... No. I'm pretty sure you just did it to make yourself feel better. An apology on a piece of paper then you avoid the person for the rest of your life. Or the rest of the year." He shrugged, shoulders sagging. "Doesn't matter." He breathed out, feeling the words begin to escape him. "Ah... was just a joke... to me. Taunting. Li... like..." He went quiet, weaving to the left and falling over. It didn't take but a moment to fall asleep, even on the warm asphalt in the middle of a parking lot.

It felt for an instant like he wouldn't dream of Layland. Only the darkness was there. But he appeared after a time, threading through shadow and light in a surreal dance.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM

Layland was sure that if he hadn't drugged Cian with the potion, the other student would have hated him. He could hear the distrust in his voice now, saying clearly that he thought Layland was heartless. Even a love potion couldn't make a person like him completely. Knowing that Cian really hated him, he hadn't wanted to be near him, but now he was in awe and curious as hell. "Of course I was avoiding you. I thought--" he didn't finish his sentence when he saw Cian weave and then fall over.

"Cian?!" Layland exclaimed as he moved to the sleeping man's side. He sat there for a second, just trying to gather his composure. "I have no idea how to deal with this." Grumbling to himself, he picked up Cian and carried him to the nurse's office, saying that he'd collapsed from fatigue. That's probably what it was after all. Layland didn't stick around for Cian to wake up again though. He had a test to take, not that he'd be able to concentrate on it now.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:48 PM

In his dreams Layland didn't want to stay in full view. It was as if they were in a carnival house of mirrors, and Cian, against his better judgment, was chasing a phantom of Layland that stayed just a few paces ahead of his outstretched hand. The light and dark saturated his vision, confusing him and tripping him up. He fell forward, into one of the mirrors, but instead of his own reflection he saw Layland before the glass shattered and fell around him.

He twitched awake, curious suddenly. White walls, curtains, quiet ticking of a clock somewhere nearby. The ground wasn't hard anymore and instead of smelling earth and grass, he smelled clean linens and disinfectant. Pulling himself up, Cian studied the place. The nurse's office---it was a long room to make way for a dozen small beds, and he was on the one nearest to the door. As he sat up, the nurse's assistant approached with a glass of water. "It's about time you woke up." She said, but sounded kind enough. "You came in at noon and it's nearly four."

Cian knitted his brow, taking the glass with a word of thanks and looking for his bag. He found it propped against the wall by the bed he occupied. "W-who brought me... in?"

"Layland Richards, dear. He didn't say much, just that you passed out from exhaustion."

"Oh..." There was little doubt about that. "I... I haven't been sleeping... very well... lately."

"Aw, sweetie, do you need some help? Students come to me all the time for some sleep aid when they get a little swamped with work."

Cian nodded, and studied the glass in his hand as the assistant disappeared to the next room. Why had Layland brought him in? He didn't have to---there was no reason. Cian scoffed at himself. Of course there was. If not to leave him out there to get run down, to get him away from an animal that might attack. That was all. Another load off his mind, little else.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 AM

The test equations swam in front of Layland's eyes. Was Cian okay? Maybe doing that...magic show had done more than exhaust him. Layland had no way to know. He had no experience with things that could not be explained by science. He even tried to explain feelings with science, and he'd never been this distracted before. Surely Cian was just a puzzle. That was the reason for the interest in him. Layland just couldn't get his thoughts together.

"Five minutes left," the professor called over the sound of furious pencil scribbling. Layland realized his pencil wasn't moving at all. Three out of five of the questions had been answered and he yanked a hand through his hair. He pulled through, barely getting the answers done in time.

After he turned in his test, he walked out into the sun with a heavy heart. It was a little after four, the test having taken two hours. He'd had a busy day and he didn't know what to do with the rest of it. Maybe go out to dinner somewhere really nice, all by himself. Eat shrimp and steak, drink good wine. He deserved things like that, but he couldn't gather the kind of excitement he'd normally feel at prospects of such a meal. He found his feet walking to the infirmary. It wouldn't hurt to see if Cian had come around. Layland didn't expect that he would still be there at this time, but he could ask the nurse about the guy.

Layland popped his head in the door. "Hey nurse! I wanted to ask if the guy I brought in earlier made it out okay."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 AM

He held the glass until the water inside was lukewarm, and with a bit of thought pushed a cold shock through it that half froze its contents again. He didn't feel dehydrated, but his mouth was as dry as sun-baked sand. He carefully took a drink, glancing at the clock and not necessarily loving what he saw. He missed his sculpting class yet again---twice in less than two weeks. He didn't want to let it go---he liked it, after all. He didn't want to fail. And as long as he got his work in before grades went in, he wouldn't have to worry. But catching up took a lot of time and effort, focus, a steady hand and clear eyes.

When the door opened Cian raised his gaze curiously, then dropped it immediately. Was Layland acting like he cared? Perhaps to keep up some ruse to others or to fool himself? But he wouldn't know Cian was even around still; it was past four, and most classes ended at four. When Layland spoke, the nurse's assistant reentered with a bottle and folded paper. "He hasn't made it out at all, hun." She said, smiling at Layland before turning her gaze to Cian. "But he's just fine. Here, Cian." She handed him the bottle and paper. "These are pretty strong sleeping pills so you'd better read the directions carefully, okay?"

Cian nodded quickly, letting go of the glass when the nurse's assistant took it and grabbing his bag to stow the bottle and paper in one of the outer compartments. When he stood, he felt lightheaded and weak at the knees.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Following the assistant's gaze, Layland turned to see Cian sitting on a bed. His calm faltered, but only a seconds worth of emotions showed on his face before he calmed it again. Why was Cian still here? Did he only wake up now, although it had been so long? "Oh, I see. I just wanted to check in. But I see that Cian is okay and my presence isn't needed. Good day then." Although he spoke the words to the nurse's assistant, he only looked at Cian. After another second, Layland nodded his head stiffly and backed out of the room and into the sunlight again.

Seeing Cian there surprised him and his thoughts whirled right back to what happened in the parking lot. Instead of avoiding the other student like usual, Layland leaned against the outside wall to wait for him. He still had questions and now that he had his composure, he could ask them without losing his cool. He just didn't want to talk inside where other ears could hear.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 AM

Before he zipped the compartment, Cian brought out the paper to read the directions. It was a strong sedative with no ill effects, but had a dose-by-weight counter listed below. He would be able to take two safely, but only just. Swallowing hard, Cian stowed the paper in his bag again and put it over his shoulder, thanking the nurse and her assistant before making a hasty, awkward exit. He hadn't expected to simply pass out. And to stay out for so long---more than four hours---actually helped him. He didn't feel quite so exhausted now, and the world didn't feel as if it were made out of half-melted rubber, sucking in his feet as he walked and bouncing back when he tried to take another step.

Pushing the door open, Cian turned to start down the sidewalk and froze---Layland was standing, leaning, against the wall beside it, and he'd have to pass the man to get by. But Layland had said he was leaving. "H-hey." He muttered, looking down and away but acknowledging the man nonetheless. There was something strange going on. Cian knew, but couldn't bring himself to simply ask.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 AM

Layland raised an eyebrow at the small greeting that was offered him. Cian acted like he was surprised to see him there, but he should have known that Layland's interest had been caught. He wouldn't let a curiosity just walk away and wait till morning. Layland did not wait until morning for answers. "Don't give me that look. I just want to talk. You're interesting, there's no doubt about it. I'm sure you can imagine that you've made me very curious." He paused and looked the other man up and down. Talking in a more relaxed sort of environment might work better than someone on campus though.

"But you look a little crummy and I need to finish some errands. I'm planning on going out to dinner after that and you can join me. If you want," he remembered to add. Ordering Cian around hadn't done him much good so far. "I think it's about time we sat down and had a real talk about...everything. Since our problems aren't going away easily. Is this acceptable to you?"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Cian should have understood Layland's interest, and shouldn't have underestimated his drive to know anything that might have baffled him. The prospect of dinner was brought up so casually that it threw Cian off entirely, and he could barely stop himself from shaking. Out, into the nearby town, where people could see him? Hear him? Where he'd no doubt have to speak to others on an open scale? Where any tiny mistake he made could be scrutinized by people that no doubt saw any possible mistake? No doubt he would look so out of place. He would be watched. Perhaps unnatural.

"Um... Ah, I don't... know. Yeah---I mean, n-no... I don't know..." He twisted his hands, shoving them awkwardly into his pockets. "Well... Yeah, I might be able to do it." He twitched his mouth into a small smile, barely looking up enough to catch Layland's expression.