Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Mica Rubino did not look like much. Standing only five feet and five inches tall with slender arms and a waist accented by generous curves, people didn't expect physical prowess. However, the young latina woman could hold her own in any hand to hand combat, fix a car, race, and jump with all the men. It was what got her here at such an age, though even she could admit she wasn't perfect.

The police station was a bustle of activity as usual. Sunday mornings brought out both some of the laziest days ad the most absurd. She wasn't sure which one this would bring, but probably the later. Her short leather work boots clapped against the stairs as she took them two at the time, on her way to the offices that lined the wall above the bull-pin. Her long dark curls were pinned back in a single french braid, tied off with a flash of mauve.

Barely even hesitating at the door of the police chief, she knocked before being ushered inside. "Sir," she nodded her head once. "You wanted to see me about something? Did...you have a case?" She couldn't help but add the question with a hopeful tone. She'd been promoted to detective a month ago, but she hadn't been given anything big all her own. She wanted to prove herself and get these men off her back already. A latina girl could hold her own!

"Well..." the man started, a glint in his eyes. "Perhaps I do. But first, you should meet someone..." He turned his eyes to the door again, seeming to wait for something. Who, Mica hadn't the faintest idea though.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 02-16-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Sugiza
gotta get a grip

Old 02-17-2018, 12:58 AM

A good thirty or fourty seconds passed. The chief -- a portly black man with a white beard and a friendly demeanor -- cleared his throat, his knuckles hitting the table a few times. "I said-"

"I heard you." The mahogany door creaked open, and leaning on the doorframe was Detective Daniel Schultz. Standing at a generous 6'2", the most striking thing about the uniformed officer was his ragged, shoulder-length black hair, clearly unkempt and clearly a violation of the uniform's dress code. It hung over one side of his face, clearly having been quickly brushed to the side, and it concealed an obvious eyepatch. He looked to be in his mid to late thirties judging by his sharp features, white skin and gaunt cheekbones, but his powerful frame showed little signs of age; every bit as rugged and tough as a twenty three year old.

His good eye was calculating, worn, and deep brown, and it looked between the seated latina woman and the police chief. "Would you shut the god damn door?" The chief's voice leaned towards exasperation, and the veteran detective acquiesced. Daniel stepped in and shut the door behind him, but leaned back against it and let his hands rest loose by his sides.

"Who is this, then?" He directed at nobody in particular, but shifted his gaze towards the young woman again. "...Detective Sergeant First Class Daniel Schultz." He spoke up shortly afterwards to introduce himself first and get things moving.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM

Mica's eyes darted up to take in the man who entered the room after her. Standing much taller and with a face like that, she couldn't help but stare for a moment. She was, of course, never one with the best manners anyway and tended to be blunt. She didn't see why her eyes shouldn't be blunt too. Still, she managed to bite back the sassy comment forming on her tongue only because she wanted to make a good impression with the chief. She needed to get her own big case or she might actually explode.

Pulling her back up straight and staring down the much taller man, Mica made it look like there weren't so many inches separating them as she answered back. "I'm Detective Mica Rubino. Well met." She turned her gaze back to the chief, confused about the presence of this, well, rather crazy looking man. Did he expect her to work with this Daniel guy? "Chief? What is it then? What's the case?" she finally demanded because at this point, she knew he called her here for that reason.

The police chief smiled then, actually smiled. It was the first time Mica had seen it. "That's right. Schultz here is in charge of it, so I think I'll let him explain." He turned his gaze toward Daniel. "I hope you don't mind a little fresh blood on your side. You need it." A friendly remark, but also one that booked no room for argument.

Sugiza
gotta get a grip

Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 PM

A few ticks of the clock passed while the younger latina girl stared into Daniel's eye before she introduced herself. The tactic must have worked, as his attention shifted away to the police chief with no further antagonization. "I see." His response was curt, and his voice deep yet strangely hoarse. "Chief, I told you that I don't need a partner." The shaggy-haired man seemed to pointedly ignore the new blood, as if she wasn't worthy of respect.

"Well, I think you do. You haven't made any headway in the last two months."

"I'm close. Just give me a bit more ti-"

"I understand that you're grieving." The police chief cut the veteran off, and he fell silent. "But, right now, you have a job to do. I'm assigning you and Rubino together for a reason. Do you comprehend?"

The last few words fell like a ton of bricks onto the tall, well-built officer. His good eye shifted towards her again, this time showing clear hints of resentment. "...Got it." Daniel's voice was resigned as he pulled a chair out from the desk and sat next to the young officer. As if on cue, the police commissioner produced a manilla folder from his desk and pushed it in front of the two, and Daniel's broad hand shifted it open.

"The Falcone." He began, gesturing over a series of photos in the folder. "One of the largest crime syndicates in the western hemisphere. Base of operations in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, London, and Madrid. They've only been making moves here since two years ago. We're not sure of the extent of their activity, but according to our stool pigeon, we've got them on prostitution, gambling, racketeering... smuggling, distributing and manufacturing of illegal substances... kidnapping, extortion, child labor and organized murder." He took a deep breath, flipping the page to show a smattering of explicit photographs of various crime scenes and busts across the country. "We haven't managed to convict a single member since they arrived here. Witnesses turn up dead. Evidence goes missing. Officers resign. We're dealing with a different animal here. That's why I've been working this job alone -- the fewer men you have on a case like this one, the fewer weak links in the chain. Any questions?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-22-2018, 09:20 PM

As the two men continued to speak, Mica's eyes narrowed, his full lips pulling into a tight line. She could tell even before Daniel looked at her with something like resentment that she was not welcome. It made her want to force her way in anyway because hell if being told no wasn't the best way to encourage her. Without thinking about it, she stepped closer to the desk to insert herself into the conversation without saying a single word.

"Well that's great. I look forward to working with a veteran partner and all," she added, just a little cheeky before she took a seat herself. Leaning over to look at the contents of the manilla folder, she fell silent again though. The images of young people overdosed on drugs The Falcone supposedly made and distributed, bodies tossed aside like that, and not a single face behind bars to go with it. She swallowed hard. Mica could talk tough with the best of them, but this...this really was the big kid show.

Finally, she turned her gaze to meet Daniel's. "You think I'm a weak link too, huh? But I'll prove you wrong. I promise you that," she murmured back, conviction shining in her eyes. She tapped the folder, turning her attention back to the case again. "What's been your tactic? Try to catch them on the big stuff, take out the leader, bury them in legal action? If I'm going to work with you, I want to know everything."

Sugiza
gotta get a grip

Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 PM

Daniel's gaze shifted upon her and softened for a moment as she spoke with earnest conviction. However, he turned back to the folder and shifted the pages to a list of suspects... that happened to stretch for about three documents. "Eventually, yeah. Standard operating procedure. I... have a feeling it's not going to end up like that, however." He sifted through the papers to find a single document with his photograph on it. "I decided to go undercover. I thought it'd be the easiest way to nail 'em, but... they've got somebody on the top level who's organizing cleanups. These fucks are meticulous -- no DNA evidence, no paper trail, nothing. It's like he's a ghost." He allowed his frustration to build and escape, but a quiet knock on the desk from the chief calmed him down.

"The leader of this branch is a guy named Anthony Gasperetti. He's got three guys at the next level, but... he conceals their identities. As far as I know, nobody's even seen any of these guys in person. They could be anybody. I've got plenty to nail the bottom-rung guys. The only problem is, you can't attack a family this big from the ground up. They'll just find new guys by the time the legal parts are over." He leaned back and exhaled slowly. "...pretty frustrating, huh?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-02-2018, 02:06 AM

Mica hummed under her breath, taking in all that Daniel said. She felt very out of her element, but she wouldn't show it. She wanted to go at this case running, learning as she went. She supposed, even if this older cop seemed strange, it might be good to learn from him. "Oh, undercover. Then we'll both be under." She whistled. "Never done that before. Guess there's a first time for everything." Looking back over at the chief, she smiled briefly before pushing back her chair.

"Hey Daniel....I can call you that right? Or is Detective Schultz more your color? We're supposed to be friendly and all, but I know some older cops are fussy about that." She couldn't resist the need to roll her eyes. One hip stuck out, her thumb hooked in a pocket, she looked more like some punk brought in for a booking rather than a cop. Just the perfect order of her hair matched the ideal. "Anyway, want to get some coffee and talk about it more? Chief is probably sick of listening to this depressing case. But I know a churro stand that could make it all better!"

Grinning bright, she stalked toward the door and held it open, clearly expecting the older man to follow her. She had a way of moving like that, expecting everyone to fall into step behind.

Sugiza
gotta get a grip

Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 PM

"Daniel is fine. I think you've misunderstood. We're not friends, we're-" He responded, trying to protest her overly-familiar demeanor but cutting himself off, letting the younger cop hold open the door. He let a sigh escape his lips and stood up, following her out with only a slight glance at the chief. He didn't understand the older man's mischevious smile but nevertheless purged it from his mind. "Churros, huh? Maybe it'd be nice to take a break once in awhile." Daniel's mutter was barely audible as he followed the younger police officer out of the station after changing his clothes -- one could never be too careful. If he was seen in full uniform, it'd blow his cover immediately.

Naught but fifteen minutes later, at a churro stand a few blocks north, the eyepatched man sipped his coffee in thought. His garb had changed from the navy blue of the PD to a muted black band t-shirt and a pair of distressed, clearly-worn light blue jeans. For his part, he had warned the latina to change clothes as well; if they were going under together, they needed to look the part. They had taken a seat in the 'open area' of a coffee shop. Despite his attempt to relax, Daniel's eye still scanned along the perimeter, gauging threats, escape routes and other useful information. "...so, what did you want to talk about?" His voice had warmed slightly with the beverage, but carried a cold edge to it, like a knife that had been sharpened far too much.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-08-2018, 11:25 PM

As Mica led the way out, she could hear the older man's protest, but she hardly let it phase her. She supposed, she could have fun even on the job, if it or the job didn't kill her for it. That was all fine though. She considered the challenge worth it. Having already been wearing plain clothes under the police shirt and jacket, she rolled his eyes, but shed them, revealing a white tank top to match her dark slacks. The tight fitting undershirt showed just enough cleavage to draw eyes without looking risque--in the best way that Mica liked. The black cord necklace with a metal link in the center was also revealed.

"Talk about?" She answered as she sat down across from Daniel, setting down an entire paper container filled with churros. "Anything, everything really. We're partners now, so how is this going to work out. What's my place in your case. Are we...on equal terms here?" She hesitated to say the words as she licked cinnamon sugar from her fingers. She tried to play it cool, but she could tell; they were only partners in name. "Because right now, I feel like we aren't."

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 03-18-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Sugiza
gotta get a grip

Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 PM

Daniel's eye had turned to her, traveling downwards to look at her outfit for just a brief moment before looking back up and away in either disinterest or a brief moment of hidden embarrassment. He mused over her words for a few moments, returning his gaze to her own as he leaned forward. He purposefully cleared his throat to get her attention. "Resign from this case. The entire force, if you have to." He spoke clearly, plainly and earnestly, and his voice carried a tinge that hadn't been there before -- sorrow, perhaps?

"Why do you think they put somebody like me, somebody with nothing to lose, here? Chief might act like a big clueless idiot, but he's sharp as a tack in the head. This 'case' isn't going to be solved with due process, court papers or forensic investigators." He tried to beat around the bush for a few moments, stealing a churro from her to take a bite from the cinnamon-flavored snack. "This case is going to -- damn, these are pretty good -- going to end in blood. I don't want it to be yours, okay? You seem like a good kid. You must have a family, pet, husband, a life that's waiting for you away from this. Don't throw it away." He consciously let a pleading tone slip into his voice as his good eye stared into her own, conveying the seriousness of words.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Mica's lips pulled down into a frown, hearing what Daniel had to say. So that was what he thought of her and the case? She asked for it and she felt glad for them, able to face these words head on. Eyes growing steely with determination, she looked right at the older man. "I can't do that. I can't resign and I won't." She held that gaze for half a minute before dropping her eyes to the churros as she grabbed one, leaning back in her chair with a casual air.

"See here, you don't know a thing about me. I get that you want to be all batman and go down in a pool of only your blood, but that's stupid." She jabbed her churro at Daniel before taking a bite. The sugary goodness filled her mouth, almost distracting her as well, but she kept going, too determined to let this fight go. "Maybe if you have someone on your side, it doesn't have to end that way. I'm not young or naive, or whatever you might think of me. I didn't grow up in some cushy neighborhood. I know things. So don't you dare make assumptions about me and let me help so it doesn't end in your blood either!"