Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 01-27-2018, 07:08 PM

I want to keep track of the books I have read while on break at work.

Last year I had listed them in my Solia spam thread, but their new forums do not have the hashtag function working.

This year I will use a memory jar here on Menewsha instead.

Books I Have Read This Year

January 25th :

# 1 ) Seventh Decimate by Stephen R. Donaldson

Stephen Donaldson seems to have a penchant for good prose and unlikable characters. I read his first two Thomas Covenant trilogies and liked the writing, but found Thomas Covenant repellent. Once again, a good book is dulled by characters you do not want to spend time with here in Seventh Decimate. The belligerent Prince Bifalt goes off on a quest to seek to save his kingdom. Magic is the cause and cure for the threat from a neighboring kingdom. Meanwhile Prince Bifalt despises sorcerers and sorcery, and can barely stifle his rage at every obstacle in his way.

Last edited by Angel Spirit Girl; 07-05-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 PM

March 3rd :

# 2) Yearwood by Paul Hazel

I found the style of writing in this book rather interesting. The story is interspersed from time to time with flashback comments from the protagonist from a point many years in the future. Unfortunately I did not seem to identify or sympathize with him much. The looking back technique and his main quest - to know the mysterious identity of his father and then to finally meet him - appeared to be the cause. The ending also disappointed me. It turned out to be unclear and unsatisfying even though the writing throughout had been lyrical.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 AM

April 29th :

# 3) Morningstar by David Gemmell

I really need to get a better class of books to read. This is another nicely written book about a character I quite disliked. This time a rogue meets an idealistic bard and ends up with a hero's reputation to live up to. The ending is just sort of a sad anticlimax as well.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 PM

May 19th :

# 4) People of the Owl by Kathleen O'Neal Gear & W. Michael Gear

I finally found a novel I like much better. The ending is a little sad, though, which seems to be common for the Gear's, and other, prehistoric novels. I like these kinds of prehistoric novels because they are rather like fantasy books with their strange cultures and beliefs and their prophecies and legends. They also end up having as much drama packed in them as a season of Game of Thrones. LOLs! I will have to read the other books in this series that the Gear's have written at some point.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 06-02-2018, 01:24 AM

June 1st :

# 5) Dream Saga volume # 1 by Megumi Tachikawa

I decided to read a manga as a palate cleanser. This book was a very nice start to a magical girl series. The only problem with manga is the price. They cost a much as a mass market paperback, but you only get a part of a story. It will end on a cliff hanger unless it is the last book. I will have to see where I can go read manga on-line since I do like it, but it can be hard to find at the library. As for this volume, I am not quite sure if I should sell it to Half Price books, or keep it to make art with the nice pictures.

Last edited by Angel Spirit Girl; 06-02-2018 at 11:38 AM..

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 06-09-2018, 01:42 AM

June 8th :

# 6) Shugo Chara! volume # 1 by Peach-Pit

This was a quick re-read of this book. It is another magical school girl manga. The pictures are so cute, it once again makes me want to keep the book for turning into art. If I sell it to Half-Price Books, I will probably only get five cents for it. That is hardly worth the bother. I do need to declutter the house, though. I need to mark books read on my goodreads page as well.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 06-23-2018, 03:29 PM

June 23rd :

# 7) Red Dragon Codex by R. D. Henham

This was a cute juvenile section fantasy novel. It has the obvious boy on quest plus dragons formula, but the plot and character development is pretty complex and well developed. There is a little bit of a Disney flavor to it. That may come from it being based on the book Dragonology, a kid's picture guide book to dragons. There are other books in this series, however, they do not seem be related (except one) by more than a shared world.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 PM

July 5th :

# 8 ) The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker

This is another cute juvenile section fantasy novel. In it a princess trying to break the spell on an enchanted prince gets turned into a frog instead of turning the frog back into a prince. I am glad to be going through these books at a faster rate than the novels I began the year with. I am having new windows put in at the end of the month, and will have to stow my books in the garage ASAP for a bit.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 AM

July 12th

# 9 ) Palace of Mirrors by Margaret Peterson Haddix

This is another lovely juvenile shelf novel. This is by the author of Just Ella, a cute Cinderella retelling. In fact, it is labeled as a sequel to that book, but only in the fact that it takes place in the same fantasy world. However, instead of being a fairy tale retelling, it is a story of a princess in hiding who decides to head to the palace to take her proper place.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 07-25-2018, 02:34 AM

July 24th :

# 10) Avalon : Quest for Magic #4 : The Heart of Avalon by Rachel Roberts

This is another cute juvenile fantasy book. It is one in a series I was reading last year. I did not know I had this volume, so now I wonder if I have the last two in the series or not. It would be nice to finally get to the end of the story since each short book ends in a set up for the next book.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 PM

August 10th

# 11) The Keys to the Kingdom : Book Three : Drowned Wednesday by Garth Nix

This is another Juvenile / Young Adult fantasy novel, and another book from a series I was reading last year or so. I like Garth Nix's Sabriel / Abhorson series a lot. I also like this series except that it seems to be another anti-Narnia like the His Dark Materials one. Those who like Harry Potter would be interested in this series, though. I wonder if I have book four.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 09-22-2018, 11:20 PM

September 22nd :

# 12) A scholar of Magics by Caroline Stevermer

This is another Young adult fantasy novel that is a sequel to a book I read a year or two ago. It was a lovely read that I enjoyed. A prominent character from the previous story end up as a prominent character in this story. She seems a bit more fleshed out as a character, too. Perhaps since this is because part of the story is basically from her point of view. I do not recall that happening in the last book. We get to see a little bit more of her alternate world, and its system of magic, too. Both of these were barely touched on it seems in the first novel. However, her lovely writing seems to make up for it some. The interesting bit is that the endings of both books seem like they would lead right into a sequel, but don't.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 12-13-2018, 03:18 AM

December 12th :

# 13) Angelica by Sharon Shinn

This is the second book in this series I have read, but it is not book two of the series. It is a rather interesting world where there are people born with wings living along with those who are regular humans. Watching over things from above is "Jovah," their god, who brought them to that planet several centuries before - and who is secretly a space ship.

The soon to be installed Archangel needs to wed before the upcoming Gloria is to be sung. Unfortunately love is slow to bloom between the Archangel elect and his intended Angelica. Of even greater concern is unknown raiders with incinerating weapons on the attack killing people and then vanishing. But if the Archangel and the Angelica do not lead the people in singing the Gloria to show that everyone is united in peaceful harmony the god will destroy the land.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 12-29-2018, 04:33 PM

December 29 :

(I finished this first one a week or two ago, but did not get to commenting on it before now.)

# 14) Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie

This is a well done murder mystery set in ancient Egypt written by the queen of crime herself. In the book, a young widow returns to her father's estate to find dastardly doings soon being done. Unless someone finds out the answers, more people will be dead.

# 15) Expendable by James Alan Gardner

This is a well written science fiction novel about a woman in the Explorer Corps. The explorers, nicknamed "expendables" are sent down to investigate new planets. They are picked to be explorers because each one has some flaw/disfigurement. That way the rest of the crew will not be too upset when they die. This woman gets dumped on an earth-like planet by the top brass and has to figure out why. Then she has to figure out a way off the planet if she wants to keep more explorers from ending up there, too.

(I may move my reading list back over to solia for 2019 since I do not know what will happen to menewsha.)

Last edited by Angel Spirit Girl; 12-29-2018 at 04:35 PM..