Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 AM

Declan suppressed the urge to sigh, before saying, "Well what purpose does an introductory essay serve your English paper?" he asked. "You are going to have to try, you know. I'm not going to just spoon feed you answers."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 AM

Koda glared at Declan. He didn't want to get dragged into this studying stuff. He wasn't supposed to be like that. "Why can't you spoon feed me answers? Isn't that all history is anyways?" He starting talking in a weird voice, mocking his history teacher. "And on this date, X happened which led to X and therefore, X, X, and X will be on the test. Plain and simple!"

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 AM

Declan glared straight back at Koda. "Maybe if you don't want to learn anything and then that's where we end up having two world wars. You need to learn the history and the mistakes people make in the past can be repeated. We don't want to make them again, yet people thing history is cut and dry and all about dates and then guess what? They make the same mistakes and some empire or our country ends up fucked." he raised a casual eyebrow at Koda.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 AM

Koda blinked a couple of times at Declan, a bit taken aback. w-what? He opened his mouth to say something snide, but decided against it. He was used to people yelling at him and all, but this was a bit different. "B-but isn't it people's own fault for being naturally stupid, rather than sleeping in history class?" he finally said nervously.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 AM

"It's people not taking the time to learn. To thinking some peace of information doesn't pertain to them. looking at some of the war we've had and wonder how many of those could have been avoided if people had learned from the past wars. Or look at the Roman Empire and it's decline, what led to it? That very same thing could eventually lead to a decline in the American Empire, which is basically what the world is under right now, if you think about it.' he smiled calmly at Koda, "History is important. Just as all other subjects are. You just have to understand the purpose of what they are teaching you." he paused before adding, "Now, Koda, I bet you're a smart kid, just a bit lazy."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 AM

Koda looked at Declan skeptically. This guy really was a nerd wasn't he? He was strange for sure, even going so far as to say that Koda was smart. No one ever bothered to tell him that, especially recently. The teachers just treated him like all the other delinquent kids.

"So what if I'm lazy?" Koda muttered. "Everyone's like that ya know? I don't want to be smart or anything."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 AM

"If I were particularly religious, I'd say sloth is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, and that's reason enough. But I'm not, and I'm not sure that would help you. However, to quote something I'm sure you've heard before. What can you do with your life if you're lazy? Do you want to be trapped working at a McDonald's flipping burgers? That doesn't sound like a very pleasant lifestyle to me." he studied Koda for a moment before figuring why not, "Look, I'm going to be straight with you kid. I said that same thing myself once, why would I want to be smart. I wasted my first three years of high school, sleeping through classes and getting by on the fact that I could get an eighty without even trying. I had no interest in academia, why should I it was boring? Then, I realized I was settling myself for a life where I'd be miserable. Got straight eyes my senior year. Went to community college and now at 24, I'm top of my class. And yet I get a mirror into the past every day of the week because I have to deal with brats like you to pay my rent and my tuition because I couldn't get scholarships. Do you want to deal with that kid? Let your laziness trap you, make your teachers give up on you?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 AM

"Dude, are you narcissistic and just like to hear yourself talk? I mean, seriously!" Koda snapped though he was just talking bad for the sake of talking. He looked away and fiddled with his ipod a bit. "Why're you so hell bent on changin me anyways?" he grumbled. Normal people wouldn't care about some person they'd just met. That's what he thought anyways.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 AM

"I don't necessarily want to change you. I just want to show you what you've been missing. Maybe make your life a little bit easier and worthwhile." Declain said, looking over at Koda. Ignoring whatever snide remarks he made. He knew that often those were only used in attempt to get a rise anyway. "Maybe I have just met you, but everyone deserves someone that will take a chance on them and help them. I'll be that person for you, if you'll let me."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 AM

Koda's eyes went wide and a very slight pink crept into his cheeks. "Don't say such embarrassing things you freak!! What the hell!" He quickly turned away and put his headphones on, arms crossed and his lips pursed. He seriously wanted this guy to leave him alone right now before Koda started acting any weirder.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 AM

Declan sighed and gave Koda a few minutes, hoping that if he could break through to this kid in the first session. He'd be able to have an easier time of it than with others in the past. That maybe he'd have Koda turning out straight A's an accomplishment he'd never managed. And maybe, just maybe, he could be a mentor to the kid. He gave off vibes of not having anybody. Finally, after a few minutes he reached over and grabbed the headphones, his head cocked to the side. "That's it isn't it? You've never had anyone listen to you really. Give a damn about you. Take the time to learn more about you than whatever front you put up?" he didn't say anything else, just left those questions hanging in the air. Maybe, he was being too forward for a first session; maybe, he was acting like he cared a bit too much, but Declan shrugged it off.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 AM

Koda wouldn't let Declan pull away his headphones and fought to keep them over his ears. "W-what the hell! Don't act like you know me! Don't just go saying stuff as ya please, moron!" He yelped, sounding a bit more desperate than angry. All this time, he'd been keeping his eyes turned away, but after he finished speaking, he glanced for a second at Declan. Koda's face said it clearly. Declan was right. No one really listened to him and his mom didn't know what to do with his attitude. Koda hadn't really thought about it before, but he realized that's how it was. He'd just decided years ago that no one cared about him.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 AM

Declan sighed, "Well I'd listen to you. You know." he said. "I'm being paid to teach you history. But I can't teach you if you don't listen to me and I don't listen to you." he shrugged, "Or we can make this just a normal tutoring session, which wouldn't be productive for either of this. It's all up to you kid." he could see the look on Koda's face. No one ever listened to this kid.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 AM

"Just shut up about that stuff already! Isn't this lesson over yet?!" Koda yelped, glancing over at the clock that hung on the wall. He had no idea what to say or do. He had no intention of suddenly getting close to this weird guy even if he kinda wanted to. It was a bad idea getting close to a tutor. There was no point in it right? Besides, his friends would laugh their asses off if they got wind of this! "Why don't you just keep to teachin and not life counseling kay?" He added a bit more maliciously than intended. There, that should be sufficient enough to keep the guy from meddling in his life anyways.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 PM

"One could argue that teacher's are life's counselors. After all, they are the ones who teach our kids more than their parents do. Spend more time with them too. But that is neither here nor there. And you are right. The session is done for the day. Now, since we didn't accomplish as much as I wanted today. I want you to read the Preamble again and be prepared to discuss more about it's importance. Also, think about what I said about everything else, kid." As he said this, Declan worked on gathering up his books. Wondering if he should perhaps lengthen his sessions with Koda to 2 hours instead of the typical one. He'd had to wait to see how the kid progressed over the next few days.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 PM

"Like hell I'll think about anything you said," Koda muttered under his breath and walked away from the table. He paused in the doorway to the kitchen, considering saying something in farewell to Declan, but decided against it. He watched the tutor for a second longer, then walked away, muttering incomprehensible stuff under his breath.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Declan sighed, maybe a little in defeat, that session was not nearly as productive as he hoped. And he knew tomorrow that Koda would not have finished the task he'd assigned. So they'd basically be at exactly the same spot.

He gathered his books and excused himself from the house walked towards his Ford Focus. He wanted to break through to this kid, even if just a little bit, but it was going to take more than just talking to the kid. Koda seemed intent on not listening, just as no one had listened to him for who knew how many years. Declan had seen the look on his face when he'd hit the right chord. Now, he just had to manage to lower Koda's defenses. He just had to think of a way to do that....

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 AM

Koda locked himself in his room for the rest of the day, not even bothering to go down for dinner. His mother knocked on the door, asking how the lessons went, but he didn't answer. Mostly because he was deep in thought. At some point, he crawled out the window and onto the porch roof that was just below it. He smoked a cigarette there which he didn't do too often. It helped him think though and today was a day he needed to think a lot. He felt quite a bit strange after his lesson. He wasn't sure what to think of the lessons or Declan. Surprisingly, he didn't despise either all that much. Weird.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 AM

That wednesday, Declan was once again on his way to Koda's house, wondering what this session would be like. This time he'd brought a print out of The Preamble, Bill of Rights, and a short five question quiz that if Koda put up too much of a struggle he would find himself taking at the end of the session.

He pulled up in front of the house, once again, and stepped out this time wearing a simple blue polo shirt and black slacks. He didn't have his glasses on today, but instead was wearing contacts and figured he looked a bit less like a nerd, which maybe would convince Koda to talk just a little bit more. Though he doubted it. He rang the doorbell and waited for either Koda's mother or the boy to answer.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-11-2011, 03:51 AM

Koda was in the kitchen eating his way through a full bag of chips with salsa when he heard the doorbell ring. He looked at the clock and scratched his head. He had the feeling that there was something he was supposed to remember today. Oh well. He wandered over slowly and opened the door while licking salt off his fingers. He paused mid-lick when he saw who was there.

"Eh, you?" Koda asked, looking a bit surprised with a stupid expression on his face.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 AM

"Yes, me" Declan said chuckling slightly at Koda's shocked expression. "I can't say I'm altogether surprised you forgot. However, you may not want to continue the habit, it could probably only work against you in the long wrong. Either way, let's get started. How are you today, Koda?" he asked, waiting for Koda to step out of the way to let him step into the house.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Koda stepped back from the door and moved back into the kitchen, grabbing the chips and taking them to the dining room where they had been before. "I'm fine I guess," he muttered. Now that he saw Declan at the door, he remembered why today was important. Lessons, ick. He sighed and kept the distaste to himself. At least he'd read over the preamble like asked.

Today he was wearing all black and his usual headphones were around his neck. His image fit his personality well, something he was proud of. Today, he turned down the volume on his ipod before the lesson started. He plopped down cross legged in a chair, placing the chips in his lap before resuming eating, wondering what Declan was going to do today.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 10-12-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 PM

"Well I figure we would continue our discussion of the preamble and then move on to looking at the Bill of Rights" Declan said, calmly. "Did you read the Preamble like I asked. If so, what do you believe the importance is?" Declan watched Koda, waiting for him to answer. Honestly curious if the kid had completed the reading. If he had then these sessions might be somewhat easier. Even if Koda still had an attitude.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 AM

Koda popped a chip into his mouth. "Yeah, I read it," he said. He ate a few more chips while considering the next question. "I guess its important cause it laid out what they wanted America to be like." He watched Declan for his reaction, hoping his answer was good enough.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 AM

"Well that's a start at least, but that's more of the purpose of the entire Constitution. Why introduce it with The Preamble?" Declan tilted his head to the side and smiled at Koda, a true smile not one of his smirks. He was pleased with the kid. Even if he was still acting like he didn't care, he was at least try and that was something.