View Poll Results: Who is your favourite TMNT character?
Leonardo 1 100.00%
Raphael 1 100.00%
Donatello 0 0%
Michelangelo 0 0%
April O'Neil 0 0%
Casey Jones 0 0%
Splinter 0 0%
Karai 1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

CrotchetyCrab
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 PM

Has anybody here watched TMNT 2012? What did you think about it?

For those who might not know, TMNT 2012 is the newest television series for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles universe. It's produced by Bardel Entertainment (a Vancouver, Canada company), although it's not listed, and aired in Nickelodeon.

If you like the original TMNT shows (2007 might be the most popular for the age group here), I highly recommend this series.

TMNT 2012 has it's ups and downs. When I first started watching it I was turned off by the 3D animation and how young the turtles were. In their other incarnations they were always... older, despite being teenagers.

But I love the characters, and their development together. The humour is extremely well done (albeit some of Mikey's jokes really enforce the dumb-surfer stereotype), and the writers put a lot of thought into making the show with their own twist.

And even if it's not like 2007, there are tonnes of references to past TMNT incarnations. As I kept watching it I came to realize that the writers and producers took a huge risk in doing what they did with the turtles. They made them teenagers. Real, hyper, excitable, hormonal teenage boys. Suddenly they were super relateable--even with mutated, muscular, ninja trained turtle bodies--and while I was skeptical with what they did with April, I love how her character has come out. She might be the same age as the turtles, but she definitely acts older.

As for the 3D aspect, to some it's hard to get used to. But as you keep watching you come to love it more. The cute little sound effects of the turtles whenever they move (like wet rubber grinding against themselves) makes the animation great.

Plus, I'm a 3D Animation student for games and television, so I'm slightly biased on it. I notice and highly respect the techniques they used. It's damn high quality animation for a weekly TV show. TRUST ME.

The show does a really good job keeping continuity too, and the characters struggle with their personal morals all the time. Plus the running jokes in it are pretty good.

So what do you guys think of it? Did you enjoy it, dislike it? Which TMNT show do you prefer out of the franchise?