PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 AM

Whether you came out as gay, bisexual, transgender, bipolar, depressed, or whatever typically identified as "non-traditional", share your stories. Was it successful, or did they not approve? Who did you tell first, and when/how did you decide it was the right time to come out?

I came out as gay at the age of fifteen, to my father's girlfriend at the time. I had known her all my life. My mother and I didn't get along much, and she was someone I really looked up to. She was fine with it, despite being Catholic, she accepted me. Then I told my mother and father. She wasn't as thrilled, thinking it was a "phase". My father said he already knew, but was happy that I was being honest and open with him. Thankfully my mother turned around completely. When my mom got married to her boyfriend a few months ago, my girlfriend and I went together. My mom introduced her as "my daughter's wife" without any hesitation. I was very proud of her. My grandparents weren't quite against it, but they tolerated it, I think. They ask about my girlfriend sometimes, and have met her a few times. The work place is just the same, all the people I work with know. Even the born-again Christian is my friend. She openly stated "It's not something I agree with, but it won't stop me from working with you, or being your friend." I appreciated that. She doesn't have to support my lifestyle or who I am, but she still looks past it to keep a friendly and supportive work environment.

Recently I've been battling depression and anxiety. I didn't think of it as anything to be concerned with, at first, before I became depressed. Then I realized how bad it can be, how empty and exhausted your whole mind becomes. When I realized how serious it was getting, and how I needed the support of my family, I let everyone know how I was feeling, and that I was starting medication to battle this. Just like coming out as a lesbian, the same people reacted in the same way. My girlfriend has really been helping me through it, but it's a tough case.

Not everyone has as successful of a story like mine, so I definitely want to hear the bad ones, too.

JChanOfTheCan
Gingernuts

Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM

i like lesbians

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 AM

I had a pretty easy coming out, I was sixteen at the time, I knew I liked girls since I was probably twelve. I 'dated' boys until I met a girl, and that girl changed everything. So one night, I came out to my mom that I was bisexual, she wasn't even surprised and she supported me fully. Then the next day, I came out as lesbian, and that was pretty much that. I didn't really come out at high school, I changed my interest on facebook from men to women, and that was it. Though I did struggle with the label lesbian for a really long time, and with all these new labels all the time. I came to prefer the term Queer, but my mom wasn't so okay with that, because growing up it was used very derogatorily towards her. So I've struggled with that more than I did when I initially came out.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 AM

PWEEP, you should always remember that not all Christians are the same. In fact, most people who claim to be Christian, have no clue what it means to actually be Christian, lol. I'm born again, and while I don't agree with same sex dating/marriage, I have a LOT of gay friends, and I love them dearly. Being Christian does not mean that you shun or hate on anyone because they're different from you or because they don't believe what you believe.

So while I can say I don't have a story about coming out to be gay, bi, etc. I did come out in middle school to my mom that I was really depressed, lost, confused, overly self conscious, etc. To the point I was failing school, and even had to repeat a grade. I asked her for a psychiatrist and she said, "No, absolutely not. If you need to talk to someone you need to talk to me." Well, she was the MAIN reason I wanted someone else to talk to. I had a super rocky childhood and the woman who raised me until I was 13 died, and that's when my mom started taking care of me. Not that I needed her by then.

I used to cut, severely, everywhere. No one in my family seemed to notice. I think they did, they just didn't know how to handle it. So, coming out as a depressed pre-teen to a family who didn't care? Downhill slide. It didn't get better until my senior year of high school and I wasn't completely cured until four years after that. *shrugs* I thought telling my mom that I was depressed was scary. I can't imagine how scary it would be coming out to be gay. Gosh if I told my mom I was a lesbian... I don't even know. She's such a hard ass and also very... opinionated.

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 09-20-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p o p p e t ♥ View Post
PWEEP, you should always remember that not all Christians are the same. In fact, most people who claim to be Christian, have no clue what it means to actually be Christian, lol. I'm born again, and while I don't agree with same sex dating/marriage, I have a LOT of gay friends, and I love them dearly. Being Christian does not mean that you shun or hate on anyone because they're different from you or because they don't believe what you believe.
I am not disagreeing with the rest is important, but I am just hitting on this. ^^;

It is actually AGAINST christianity (all forms) to Judge people. Christianity's teachings actually say to "Love one another." Which goes for everyone, even your enemies. I am too tired at the moment to get you proper versus to back up these claims, this will purely have to go off the whim of trust.

So any christian pretty much being all "You fucking faggot. You are a disgrace to god, burn in hell." Is by every means disavowing their "pact" to god because they are going against the very teachings of Christ and therefore, denying his teachings.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 AM

Non-traditional! That nice little phrase seems to describe what I am fairly well. I might have to make a separte post for many of my different adventures.

I'm not sure how to 'come out' as someone of a tertiary gender. I see the gender binary around me, I know it affects many things in society. I also do know that some people are happy with the sort of yin-yang balance. I don't really want to be the gender associated with my biological sex. However, I can't see myself being a mature member of the opposite sex, either. I see myself as a "perma" pre pubescent child.

I have subscribed to some feeds and such on facebook that post many "trans-*"- friendly articles and such, but they always seem to be about transitioning from one sex/gender polarity to another. They seem to complain that with "LGBT" rights, the "T" is often left out. Well of the "T"s, I'm someone that they don't even acknowledge. -_-;

I have felt awkward attempting to explain it to my parents. They probably think that I just am being 'weird' or it is 'just a phase'. I can't deny that I might change one day, but for now, my past experiences have cumulated and led me to here.

People that negate what I have to say are those that have a sort of sexual interest in me. They shoot down my feelings and point of view directly... mostly because it directly conflicts with whatever urges they feel below the belt. That makes me uncomfortable. For example, with my first nonsexual but adult relationship (straight), i was asked by my partner if I was "sure" that I wasn't "gay" or at least "bi" because of my sexual disinterest.

Menewsha is one of the very few places where I've actually felt inclined to open up about this on a public level.

Potentially coming soon: "coming out" with ecclectic spirituality/comparitive religion, the gothic subculture, and mental/emotional "fun".

Quantum Angel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 AM

Oh man. When I came out as trans* to my parents it was the worst fucking thing. My mother blew up on me and basically ripped me a new asshole...

Not because she didn't approve. Because she didn't want me to have my own issues, let alone that need medical attention. That needs to all be for her. She's the only person in the family allowed to have problems.

Not even kidding - she said that.

She calmed down but she's still kind of an asshole about it. She rejected the name my boyfriend gave me - and worse has tried to make me hate it - because...she doesn't like it. Because, of course, it's all about her. Eeeeeverything always has to be aaaall about her. She's half-assedly tried to help come up with something we both like but she's refused to listen to what I'm looking for in a name (all I want is something that sounds nice and is relatively uncommon but not unpronounceable - I can come up with tons of those without a second thought but noooo, none of them are good enough for her) and seems to be treating it as a joke (at a point she was going through common Arabic names - we're not Arabic and have no major ties to the culture...after I rejected some she made a joke about "Yeah, I don't think I want to put you on terror watchlists anyway"). Basically, I've given her a whole ton more flexibility than anyone really deserves just because I feel sorry for her and she's...content to do this. Pisses me right off.

Then my father's made some really awful remarks while drunk and stoned, too, but he was high as a kite and didn't remember a word of it later so I don't count it much. It hurt but it's only a reflection on his character as much as thinking the butter compartment in the fridge is for a remote control is, so I can get over it.

They still don't know I'm gay. I've kinda hinted in the past that I maybe might possibly be bi (and, well, for a long time I was - but hey, sexuality is fluid), but every time I even like a male actor professionally she hassles me about "why do you want to be a boy if you're just going to be gay???" and I just...GAH I hate it.

It could be worse but that doesn't make it particularly fun.

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockReject View Post
I didn't really come out at high school, I changed my interest on facebook from men to women, and that was it.
Thankfully I didn't have facebook at the time. I wasn't entirely open about it, but I wasn't afraid to be honest if asked. I wasn't like "Hey, my name is Marissa, and I'm a dyke." But if someone were to ask if I had a significant other, I would openly admit that yes, I did, and that it was a woman, not a man. I wasn't all that popular in high school, though, so no one really cared :P

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-28-2013, 12:59 PM

As far as liking girls go, I remember when I was probably 6 or 7 and told my grandma that two women can get married and they don't have to marry a man. She got mad and said that they had to marry a man and that two women can not marry each other, which in my mind, didn't make any sense why they couldn't and it still doesn't. I've never had a clear line as to where make and female were different, to me people have just always been people and not "male" or "female".

As far as being gender queer goes, my mom HATES the fact that I'm more on the masculine side of things. She hates the fact that I wear suits, pants, and I rarely wear make up. Her reaction was "You're a girl, act like it". Which I don't get either since I used to always dress in my brothers clothes and never wore anything very "girly" anyway. She still gets on my case when I refer to myself as "Rei", which is my middle name, and not my first name. She says that I'm "trying to be a guy" and I need to stop. I don't get why she has such an issue with it because I always thought my mom was open about most things.

About the depression, I said something to my husband about it and he supports me and tries to make me as happy as he can. He knows that I get my downs and that sometimes I want to be left alone but he also keeps an eye on me and makes sure I'm okay. My mom just laughed and asked what I had to be depressed about. I don't really talk to her about much of anything anymore because I feel like she either mocks me or makes me feel more like crap than I did before.

NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 PM

When I told my mum about me being transgendered, she basically just said "That explains a lot". We don't talk about it openly, I think it makes her uncomfortable, but she doesn't force me to "dress up" and wear make up like she used to.

One night she was drunk and I think she had been thinking about my coming out quite a lot, because she came to my room and started apologising. It was kinda sad. She was like, "Maybe if I made you wear pink when you were a baby (she put me in blue because it suited me more) or was able to buy you barbie dolls (we were very poor growing up, so I only ever owned one doll)..." I told her that it wouldn't have changed anything, because its nature, not nurture.

Everyone else I tell seem to accept it, except two friends. One had a huge crush on me (he still does) and he told me that I wasn't like a guy at all, and that I am just a tomboy. That hurt a lot.

The other "friend" (She ended up calling me a baby because I didn't have a boyfriend like her, and was still a virgin, and didn't like them basically touching each other in front of me. I mean literally almost full on finger sex! And they got mad at ME, as though it is perfectly normal to start humping each other in front of your friend.) was like "I felt like that once, but I found out that I was just going through a phase." Changing my problems into one of hers, like she always did. I am glad I lost contact with her.

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLen View Post
Everyone else I tell seem to accept it, except two friends. One had a huge crush on me (he still does) and he told me that I wasn't like a guy at all, and that I am just a tomboy. That hurt a lot.
I've kind of had the same issue recently. It started with I guy I worked with. We were just friends at first, but then he told me how he was falling in love with me. I had never hid the fact I had a girlfriend, and I told him numerous times I wasn't interested. He tried to play the guilt card with me "I guess I'll just have to deal with my feelings for you", in not so nice terms, he put it. Honestly, there wasn't really anything else I could do or say. I wasn't interested in him at all. Thankfully he doesn't work there anymore, so I don't see him now.

Although, there is a guy who I've grown up with that has stated his interest in me. I'm flattered, but I only want to be friends. I'm just not interested in a relationship with a guy. Not only because I have a girlfriend, but because, it's just not who I am. He's not as much of a jerk about it as the other guy is, which is wonderful. He knows I'm not interested, and still wants to be friends, and didn't try to guilt me when I turned him down.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with two people you thought were friends, though :( There are better people out there who can support you for who you are, not try to change you.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Oh, he said the same thing "You know my feelings for you will never change, I just have to pretend they aren't there." *Rolls eyes*

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Well, one time I was nineteen and I told my mom, "Mom, I'm bisexual." She looked at me and said, "You better be joking." I started laughing and said, "JUST KIDDING! Aha, aha, ahaaa..."
Then I came out AGAIN when I was twenty five, shortly after having my baby.
She was like, "You're serious? Wth." "I tried to tell you earlier, but you looked like you were about to kill me. I figured now would be better, since I'm with [insert husband's name], and we're going to be together for a long time. But now you have your grandbaby, and you can be happy."
She hasn't said a thing since.
I just came out to one of my friends yesterday. He didn't even realise, lol.
He was like, "What?? I didn't even know!" "Well you do now!"
xDD

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 10-03-2013, 06:09 PM

I seem to be having the opposite effect on people :C I just don't understand it. Lately, there seems to be an influx of men hitting on me. Like I said, I'm flattered, but I just don't get it. xD I'm really not all that attractive, of course I don't think I am. My neighbor just went past my window and was flirting with me. His pickup line was "You just got really hot." I thought it was kind of offending! Like, all of a sudden, I'm attractive? I wasn't before, any other time we crossed paths on the sidewalk? I said I was flattered, but that I was a lesbian, so don't get too excited.

I don't want to wear a big sign saying "I'M GAY!" but I don't know how else to stave off their advances. Or how to understand it. I really don't see why they're doing it. Honestly I think that I'm kind of the last chick that they know around here, since it's a small town. >< Who knows.

Lavender le Fay
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Let's see... I'm gay, a cross-dresser and depressed. I actually wish my family had made a scene, because that would've been some acknowledgement that I'm alive. I mostly have only my mother in my life, and I used to just blurt out things like "That guy's so hot!" or anything that's just a very homosexual comment, and to this day she keeps mentioning my future wife, even if I counter that "I bet she'll have a nice, big penis." she still completely ignores it and goes on living in her little pretend world. To me, it's much more hurtful than being thrown out, disowned...

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 PM

Aww, I am sorry to hear that Lavender. I guess sometimes it is hard for parents to accept, and some accept it better than others. I'm sure she still loves you deep down and once you find someone special, she'll have to accept that you like boys :P

I hope you find a special someone soon, so you can be happy~

DaisyKeehl
Inactive menace

Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 AM

I identify as pansexual and my coming out wasn't as widely accepted as I would like.
Ever since I was 9 I realized that I was never sexually attracted to people and more emotionally attracted. I also noticed I liked girls a bit more than guys. Since I was so young I never really knew what to call it.
By the time I was 13, I told some of my closest friends I was bisexual (never knew about all the other sexualities other than gay,straight, and bi) and they were pretty accepting.
My aunt is lesbian so I thought, 'since my family accepts her, they'll accept me!' Nope. I told my mother I was bi at that point and she shrugged it off.
Now that I am 16 I have had several girlfriends, transgender crushes, and 2 boyfriends but my mother never accepted it or talked to me about it. When I had a girlfriend she acted disgusted and awkward and never tried to get to know them... my aunt even said that I don't like girls at all... This coming from someone I thought would understand made me angry.

Oh and the all time favorite argument "You're too young to know"

Let's just say my friends have been way more accepting than my family. I think the only person who is okay with it and believes me is my grandfather! WHO IS THE MOST OLD-FASHIONED GUY EVER

Other than that I came out as depressed after my mom put me into therapy... (I had to come out to the family about it myself)
My mother, uncle, and grandfather are the only family that knows why I was so depressed and why I cringe every time I hear the word rape... Piece that together :/

I just don't know how to get my mother to understand me at all. I want to be able to bring around a girl or m-t-f/f-t-m and not have her uncomfortable... it is like she treats them like they have 5 eyes and 1 leg!!! SO FRUSTRATING
And then she complains I never come to her about things.

Irishrain
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 AM

I told my mom i thought i was a lesbian when i was 13 she said i was to young to know something like that and then had the church pray for me publicly. To cast out the lesbian demons... I dont know.. Anyway needless to say it didnt go so well, and here i am 20 yrs later never dated a female for fear of hell and never been in a place where i could be ok with that. I have been married for the last 13 years and i have 4 kids so i have moved on and accepted it as a phase, but i cant help but think of females occasionally. It sucks though because i am torn from my upbringing in an ultra orthodox baptist church to where i am as an adult... I still fear hell! But i kinda think MAYBE it was a phase for ME... It confuses me even more because i went to a laundry mat down the street from my moms house (one she used to go to) and i went into the bathroom once... I just happened to look closly at the massive graffiti on the wall in the bathroom and i kid you not, swear on my life... There was a 3 foot message in my MOTHERS handwriting that told a story of a sad confused molested, raped, little girl who was lesbian and who turned to god for guidance. She then said that god could save the wicked (aka homosexual) and that he had saved her... I was dumbfounded. I never asked her about the huge letter written to sinners on a bathroom wall but i know without a shadow of doubt it was her that had written it... I found it highly hypocritical at one point and then sad at others... Wouldnt it suck to live your whole life as a devout christian just to die and realize god didnt care who you loved as long as you loved? Granted i know several passages in the bible that say homosexuality is an abomination... BUT... what if? I dont know... god will probably strike me dead for this but i think that everyone needs ot follow their own interpretation of whatever religion they are in. The new testament is supposed to nullify the old right? And being gay was bad in the old book... what about now? Anyway thats how ti went for me... Still not "out" i suppose... At least not to my family. My husband knows and of course is "all for it" -_- But ya know how guys are lol... Every mans dream or some such nonsense.

Smores
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM

I came out as gay when I was 17 I think. Waited quite a while. My mom had asked a million times if I was gay and I just kept on denying it - I just wasnt ready. I mean ever now, as an "out" person - which annoys me I have to declare my sexuality... stupid society.... anyways. The past few years I almost feel as if I hurried to pushing myself into a sexual identity.
So I suppose I came out. But I have yet (at 20) to feel like I am 100% sure of anything.
Ive just never felt like who I am attracted too should mean absolutely anything to anybody. I dont even care. Haha.
Do I like girls? No. I clearly like guys.
I dont know. Ive felt on several occasions the desire to come out as hating everyone. Haha.
But seriously, I truly doubt my attraction to living/nonliving - just "things"- in general sometimes.
My friends were pretty shit on the subject though.
Reactions can be sifted into two very clear categories.
People who accepted it and suddenly thought my coming out means I was down for getting drunk, high, and having sex with anyone with a penis was now my favoruite things to do in my free time.
And then people who thought I was disgusting.

Needless to say. I was very solitary and lonely after coming out.
Thank god I was always unpopular! Hahaha.

Anyways on the topic of mental illness.
Recently my mother has taken very sudden, peculiar interest in my anxiety.
Which is odd as shes never been super concerned before.
But its nice I suppose.
Its just now shes convinced I absolutely need to see a therapist for my problems.
(Which to be honest I dont want to do. I cant afford it. And she cant afford it. And if she does it trying to help. And puts her money situation into more jeopardy. I guarantee I will have a panic attack. Hahaha.)

But yeah. I struggle a lot with depression, have for the longest time. Never really took any medications for it - as Im not a big fan of mind altering substances. (Whether it be alcohol or drugs which I partake in neither of.) Actually side note I am an Addictions Counselor recently graduated. Weee! Degree with no jobs in a 2 hour radius! Weee! lol

But yes. I did have a job a month ago.
It was dreaful. Factor job taken out of desperation for money.
I spent the first 3 weeks keeping closed off out of fear that my liking guys would be a problem.
Ironically after I convinced myself it wouldnt be - my supervisor made some homophobic comments - and I reported her.
Needless to say, she spread rumours, no one wanted anything to do with me - and I got fired for suddenly becoming a slow worker. (After weeks of praise... but whatever...)

Anyways. Thats where alot of my issues stem from I suppose.
Socially liking men hasnt limited me too much. I can make the odd friend if I so desire.
Now professionally?
Its like wearing a shirt stating "I WILL STEAL FROM YOUR BUSINESS AND KILL YOUR FAMILY."
Whether it be volunteering, or working. I always seem to find the homophobe who wants to give me shit.
So I lucked out family wise... (although I sometimes doubt my sisters' feelings towards me liking guys....) and my dads actually pretty good. Despite the fact hes an utterly shit parent, who was abusive most of my life.
Hes trying a lot harder now... I dont forgive him.. but I mean. Hes got some good moments now and then. (If only hed been like that all my life am I right? Haha.)
But yeah.
Guess I exchanged family acceptance for workplace acceptance at sometime in my life. :P

And touching on what Rain said.
Sometimes I honestly would love to just be able to have God talk back to me you know?
Ive never been very religious.
Or followed any religion truly.
But I just feel like there is a God.
And I do believe in Jesus, and the Virgin Mary.
I just dont think that any human gets to decide what they say.
And would like to hear the words come out of their own mouths..
I think id be able to cope better with God telling me directly being gay is wrong, then hearing it from billions of people and a book.
Atleast then I have a solid answer and can move on from there.

But yeah.
I actually have a question at the end of this ... er, post.

Being "out" or not - do you ever feel as if you want to avoid talking about whom you love just to avoid ignorance?
Its not that I am ashamed. But I sometimes just dont want to bring it up if it can be avoided.
I dont think its a huge part of who I am at the end of the day - and besides, then most of the time (in my expereince) the other person feels the need to discuss it FOREVER.
I dont know. Do you guys feel that its a shame thing? Or does that make sense?

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM

I have been severely depressed for a good chunk of my life. It just won't go away, no matter what I do.

I remember one time, I was calling my doctor's office for information about a psychologist. I got angry, and yelled, "I just want some information! Why isn't anyone helping me?!"
They transferred me to the suicide hotline. They actually helped me with my situation, and were nice about it. [I guess they have to be. The people calling are apparently suicidal. I wasn't, hence apparently.]

There are days, I don't want to get out of bed or I just want to lay on the couch. My son keeps me on my feet, but the feeling is still there.

Exaggerated Rebellion
The Best Bounced Check

Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 PM

I came out to my mother during a big break up I had a little over a year ago. She's always been pretty chill with gay rights, so I wasn't too worried about her knowing. My girlfriend outed me out to my dad and step-mom, though. I was planning on doing it myself, but I'd been driving all day to visit them and I went to bed long before they did. They've all been pretty supportive though, all things considered. <:

With my grandparents (who I live with) and people I don't know, I'm firmly in the closet. I've tried to come a few times, and it either leads to something nasty or uncomfortableness. Especially so with strangers. If someone I don't know asks about my dating life, I'll usually say I have a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend.

It's so much easier to be completely out on the internet, though.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 AM

On a sexuality front, i don't really know what i'd class myself as. I've recently come to realise i'm probably bisexual, but that's never really bothered any of my close friends, who seem to share the same opinion of other females. We often mentioned that 'so and so' was pretty attractive or something like that, and my boyfriend doesn't mind at all...He makes the observation that i'm more likely to be checking other women out than he is, which is true.

My parents actually thought i was a lesbian, and probably still do, despite having been with my boyfriend two and a half years. I know my dad certainly does, once having referred to me as 'queer as a two bob watch' in front of some of his friends who were visiting.

On a different side, about two years ago i came to the realisation i have Aspergers. That was more difficult to get across to people. An often total lack of knowledge about autism meant they couldn't relate how they thought of autism to me at all. I had to explain a lot to many people, but more often than not they agreed with me in the end. My close friends were actually the ones that pointed it out, so they accepted me without fail. My parents again, were a different story. My mother has a massive stigma about autism, and couldn't stand the thought of me dating somebody on the spectrum, never mind her daughter having this 'horrid brain disease'. I've still yet to convince prying doctors why they should refer me for analysis though, so i lack an official diagnosis, which makes me feel very odd about putting it down on forms when i'm applying for jobs. I don't really know where i stand with that one.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 PM

By the way, I just saw an awesome TEDx video about "Coming out of the Closet", yes the speaker has done this in the way one usually associates with the figure of speech, involving her sexual orientation. However, she broadens it to talk about all kinds of "Closets" people have.

Talk of Dark Closets, Grenades, and Pancake Girl in a Pink Dress:

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 AM

My big thing of that nature is, I'm an aromantic asexual. I didn't know what that meant until I was 17. I was curious what "aromantic asexual" meant when I saw it somewhere, so I looked it up. It didn't click yet that that was me, though. That didn't happen until I saw an explanation of the types of attraction. I didn't know attraction was that complex! Turns out what I thought was me being plain old "straight" ever since I was old enough to like people that way was purely aesthetic attraction. No sexual, no romantic, no sensual, nothin'. Except aesthetic.
On top of that, I'm repulsed. I've felt that way since I knew that stuff existed. *shudder*
Asexuality really needs to be more well-known. So do the other orientations.

I've never so much as held hands with someone out of affection and don't wish to. I'm not much of a touch person. I don't want anyone closer than a friend, preferably female, who shares my interests and whom I can talk to about anything. If I ever lived with anyone, I'd want them to be like that. I don't want children, biological or adopted. Having a wedding? No thank you.

I'm still a fangirl. I spazz just as hard as the other ones in my fandom, but apparently they're experiencing several types of attraction while I'm just flipping out because someone looks amazing. All the screaming, flailing, and tears without the fantasies. I get inspired for stories instead. LOL. I also never tire of romance in books. The romantic scenes have me laughing out loud because I don't understand why anyone would ever want to do that. Heh. Romance on screen, though? Too awkward to watch, but sometimes I get giggly.

I have yet to come out to my family, but I'll tell a friend in a heartbeat because I know they won't tell me I'm wrong. I've hinted at my asexuality without using any terms while having casual conversation with various members of my family, and all they basically say is, "You'll change your mind someday! EVERYONE wants to get married and have kids! Silly!" My parents don't have very open minds about other orientations or gender roles, and I'm thankful I at least don't have to worry about that, but if I tell them I'm asexual, they won't take me seriously. They already don't.

I love talking about it, to be honest. Cake jokes never get old! I don't mind answering questions about it. I don't see it as being destined to die alone and miserable. I'm 100% comfortable with my asexuality, I'd say. For whatever reason, it's not a big deal to me. To even use the term "come out" to describe revealing it to people seems unnecessary. Maybe I'm not realizing something. It's as simple to me as saying I like pizza.

Angra Mainyu

Old 06-15-2014, 05:16 PM

Well. I was about 12-13 that I realized that I was bisexual. I was attracted to both girls and boys. I asked my mom to sit down and she kept guessing. "Do you like boys?" she asked me after maybe five minutes, and I nodded. I regret that so much. She screamed at me that it was wrong and disgusting. My dad didn't say anything.

Some years have passed and I am now gay. My friends know and totally accept it. I have a boyfriend too. But I regret coming out to my mom. Never again.