Mikio
(・ω・)

Old 04-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Have you guys watched the new film Ready Player One? Opinions?? Did you like it or not?

I read the book before watching the film and they both have slightly different plots. The movie employs very good use of CGI and I loved the portrayal of the stacks. There were some minor mismatches and things like that but overall good. Wished it was more like the book though but oh well :D

I'm also thinking of cosplaying Parzival as I loved his avatar.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM

I have not read it or seen it. But many of my friends on facebook have been talking about how much they enjoyed the movie and the book.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 PM

My best friend and his partner went to the movie theater for Easter. They had no idea what they were going to say and just pick something when they got there. They didn't want to be disappointed wanted to go see something and then that movie being sold out you know? Anyway I digress, they chose Ready Player One. They both have not stopped talking about it and are saying they're going to go back and watch it again. He even texted me during the movie, which is something he never does, and said you have got to come see this movie!
And then another one of our members here on this site went with his partner to see the movie on Easter as well. I thought that was very much a coincidence since I like both of those friends very much. Anyway he also said he liked the movie very much. I would ping him here to this thread but things are in the bork age category these days.

LillieRose
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-03-2018, 09:09 PM

I loved the book. Haven't watched the film yet but if it's different than the book, I am not sure I want to watch it. The books was just amazing.

If you like to read, read Ernest Cline's Armada as well. It is not quite as good as Ready Player One but it's a good read nevertheless. ^_^

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Oh, I forgot to say I also have not read the book. I like to read books before I see the movies because I think there's always more information in them.
Like The Shining, I read that book and then I didn't want to see the movie. The old movie is pretty good to the book and Jack Nicholson was really a good pick for the main character. The remake with the Steve somebody I think as the main character I don't think I cared for him too much but I think they did more with the other things in the book bringing them to life. I don't want to ruin it if somebody hasn't watched it.

LillieRose
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 PM

If you like The Shining, the sequel, Dr Sleep is really good too. I mean the book, I don't think there is a film yet. xD

Also, if you would like to watch an adaptation of a Stephen King novel, Mr Mercedes, the tv series is really good.

I know we have it on Lightbox here in New Zealand, not sure if you could find it in the US. Do try Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, might be available there. ^_^

Mikio
(・ω・)

Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillieRose View Post
I loved the book. Haven't watched the film yet but if it's different than the book, I am not sure I want to watch it. The books was just amazing.

If you like to read, read Ernest Cline's Armada as well. It is not quite as good as Ready Player One but it's a good read nevertheless. ^_^
I have bought Armada and have started reading it! The book Ready Player One is getting a sequel! :D I'm excited to see what issues they'll be dealing with in the second book now that that the quest is over.

You should still give the film a chance. It's not THAT bad lol.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 04-21-2018, 03:25 PM

I really love the concept of the book and film.

I haven't seen or read them yet. They sound like they'll be right up my alley.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 PM

Sometimes even when movies can't or don't follow the book it's not all bad. Like in The Shining, the first one, the topiaries weren't you there. And that was something I was really looking forward to. But it didn't ruin the movie at least for me.

LillieRose
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-14-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikio View Post
I have bought Armada and have started reading it! The book Ready Player One is getting a sequel! :D I'm excited to see what issues they'll be dealing with in the second book now that that the quest is over.

You should still give the film a chance. It's not THAT bad lol.
Good on you! I am sure you will enjoy it. ^_^

So, I've watched the film this weekend.

I do have to say I wasn't impressed by it. Sure, it's well made, visually stunning but I feel like so much of the story was left out, so much of the 80s references and how Parzival knew Halliday so well. You can't just slap a bunch of 80s music into the film and hope that people will understand. Not that I'm complaining about the music, I thought it was awesome. xD

My final conclusion is that the book is waaaaay more engaging than the film.

I'd hate for people to miss out on Ernest Cline's writing because of the film.