Angra Mainyu

Old 06-15-2014, 01:06 PM

So.. Is there any piece of clothing you don't like/think is ugly? I do not like..

Long skirts with floral pattern. Ugh. Not even my grandmom would wear them.

Bustiers. Because I'm not interested in seeing people's bare lower torso.

Short shorts. Not very flattering.

So yeah. What do you think is ugly?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Those jean shorts that are cut off so short that the pockets show through. XD

Angra Mainyu

Old 06-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Those jean shorts that are cut off so short that the pockets show through. XD
Oh yes. That is so ugly cx

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 PM

Hm... I know there are ton of others that bug me but I can't think of any at the moment. >.<

Angra Mainyu

Old 06-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Well.. Here in Sweden Primeboots are very popular. Really ugly tbh s:

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Uggs.
Dx

Shirts that are worn as dresses. Hello~ You need shorts or pants or leggings for that!
Leggings worn as pants.

Angra Mainyu

Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio_Moustache View Post
Uggs.
Dx

Shirts that are worn as dresses. Hello~ You need shorts or pants or leggings for that!
Leggings worn as pants.
Uggs. Ugg-ly. s:

I mean.. Oversized shirts are great, but not without pants or shorts.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 PM

I hate leggings worn as pants. (Especially when fat, and I mean HUGE people do it. //shudders) Leggings are not pants. I see them as an accessory.

Soki Rachiki
*^_^*

Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio_Moustache View Post
I hate leggings worn as pants. (Especially when fat, and I mean HUGE people do it. //shudders) Leggings are not pants. I see them as an accessory.
Same here. Leggings as pants are one of my major pet peeves about other people in general. It practically makes me nauseous thinking about it...

Anyway, some examples of clothing I personally find ugly (other than leggings as pants):

-Shirts with ruffles. I dislike these and always have, but they are simply not my taste and I know they look wonderful on some people, they just bother me mostly when they are on me.
-Something I rarely see, but I still find unattractive (other than in non-everyday use): the collars on collared shirts up. We are not all vampires (neither are we, mercifully, preps)...
-Very short shorts/skirts. It is immodest.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 AM

Y'all so uncomfortable with other people's bodies it's ridiculous.

I can talk about stuff I don't like to wear, but I don't give a shit what other people wear. Their bodies, their decision. They're not here to look pretty for me.

jupiter
inactive account

Old 06-26-2014, 02:28 AM

Thankfully someone said it.
Shouldn't this thread really be moved to the body + lifestyle shaming forum?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 AM

But seriously, you guys. Dislike styles all you want. Think "that's an ugly piece of clothing" all you want. But leave other people's bodies out of it. Who cares if what someone is wearing is "flattering" to their body style? They're not there to look pretty for you, and it's self-centered to think so. They're there to look pretty for themselves. Or to be comfortable. A common thing I see (everywhere, I don't just mean this thread) is "ew, fat people shouldn't wear shorts!" Well, you know, fat people get hot too. And just like you would wear shorts to beat the heat, so can they. And they can wear whatever cut or length they damn well please.

Another common retort I hear (everywhere) is "but I'm fat and I don't wear that!" But that's just projecting your own body insecurities onto someone else.

Have some basic respect for other people. When you stop intensely judging everyone you see, you'll find your life is a bit more pleasant. Try looking for something nice to think about everyone you see. Even fat people in shorts. It'll improve your mood. It's clothes, it's not the end of the world. At the end of the day, think whatever you want, but at least acknowledge you're being just needlessly mean because someone doesn't look attractive to you. It's such a pointless thing to judge on.

Now, for clothes I don't want to wear, I agree that those shorts with the pockets hanging out of the bottom look pretty silly. Shallow pockets are a pet peeve of mine, but I'll tolerate it for short shorts for the sake of them not hanging out of the bottom.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 06-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Free will goes both ways.

Anyone is free to wear, within reason, whatever they want. But I'm also free to think whatever I want to think about them and their clothing choices. Some people look very bad in some types of clothing. Are they entitled to wear it? Yes. Are they entitled to my respect for choosing to wear it? No.

So instead of telling people to see other people how you see them, how about you respect that while anyone can wear anything, anyone can also think anything they want.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 AM

And I did say that.

Quote:
At the end of the day, think whatever you want, but at least acknowledge you're being just needlessly mean because someone doesn't look attractive to you.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 AM

And in case I'm misunderstood- No, I don't think its okay to go up to someone and treating them like shit based on their physical appearance. But I don't think its okay for you to come into a thread for people who want to discuss styles they dislike- which may or may not include certain clothes on certain people- then insult them for expressing a negative opinion. :I

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 AM

I didn't think I insulted anyone, and I'm genuinely sorry if you felt insulted. I said it's mean behavior. It's mean behavior to say "so-and-so looks really ugly in that" or "people with x body type shouldn't wear x clothing because it's so gross, I'm going to throw up!!" That's not really a point that can be argued on, it just is mean. It doesn't mean you're a bad person nor that I think you are, it just means you're not being nice. Everyone is not nice once in a while, part of being human. But I like niceness and it hurts me to see people grouping together to shame other people's bodies and saying really hurtful things. It's not as if the only people who can see this conversation are those involved - people who have body types mentioned could see this and it could make them feel like absolute shit about themselves. That would be sad.

I used to do it too. I used to think my opinion meant something when it came to other people's appearances. I used to shame people for all sorts of silly things that didn't matter at all and most certainly didn't concern me at all. But then I started reading about the other side of the argument and I changed my mind. I realized the way I approached it was really toxic and that it was hurting myself and others. I realized that I preferred to approach people with compassion, acceptance, and love. You can't blame me for hoping I might, in turn, change someone else's mind. Maybe it was naive of me.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 AM

I don't think that you were trying to be uppity, and I think that you have a respectable opinion. But I'm just sort of pointing out- Time and place. This is a thread people made to express negative opinions about certain ways clothing looks or is worn. So coming here and saying something like that seems like it might be a little thoughtless.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM

I don't really see how. I saw behavior I thought was bad. I tried to illustrate why this is bad behavior. I would guess (but I could be wrong) that you feel this way because it was following specific comments, thus kind of singled out some people. You had posted before, so I would guess you took it as being singled out (among others) as having done something wrong. And whether you agree with my point or not, being told you've done something someone doesn't agree with is no fun (for anyone ever). But it's necessary. We don't always see our own actions.

If I had, say, waited a few weeks and then made a thread about body shaming, it would not have had the same potential impact. Because one reads that and thinks "well sure, but that's not what I do. I say it slightly differently so it's not bad." Or one just doesn't read the thread at all because it doesn't have a topic they feel compelled to read (for the most part, I mean, that wouldn't be the case 100% of the time. Some who do it might read it and realize it's what they do, who knows). So I believe it was the best, most effective course of action to post it here, where people are doing it, where people are doing the thing they need to be held accountable for, where they can't deny that they do it, and where they might actually return and read my comment. What they choose to do with that information is up to them. They can say "okay, I do this, but it doesn't bother me, I think I'm justified" and that's their choice. But it's one of those things people do without realizing the full consequences of and I fully intended to "call out" - for lack of a better, less angry, term - that behavior.

I mean, we're talking about publicly describing certain bodies as gross. I don't think saying "you're being mean" is the greater sin here.

I will say that I didn't want anyone to feel specifically and personally singled out. I don't want anyone to take what I've said as "Dystopia, you specifically amongst everyone are wrong" or anyone else. That's why I tried to bring up "comments I see along these lines all over the entire internet" instead of directly (intentionally) quoting users who posted here. I don't want anyone to feel attacked. I'd like to point out their behavior as a group. Addressing the lot, not the individual. And if anyone felt attacked, I'm sincerely sorry because that was far from my attempt. Hopefully I've made it clear that my intent acceptance, not confrontation and hate.

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 06-26-2014 at 07:14 AM..

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 AM

I don't wanna clog up the thread with an argument, so do you mind if I maybe PM you instead?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-26-2014, 07:20 AM

Sure, go ahead. At this point we're really just discussing propriety and intent rather than anything relevant to the topic, so no particular need for it to be here.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM

c: Yep. Thanks for understanding.

Back on topic-

There's nothing I find particularly unappealing. Tho I've seen some things in fashion runways that just confuse the hell out of me. I mean, I understand that they're not actually supposed to be worn, but...

jupiter
inactive account

Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 AM

I don't like Tom's shoes. I dislike the company, though, which really adds to my dislike for them.
I dislike "chunky" shoes and heels. They were popular in the 90's, that really wedge-like black heel from "Friends."
And...I think that's about it.

Nugget
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 PM

If it's ugly yet it flatters you and you rock it, go on ahead.
But I really hate seeing women over 40 wearing too-tight babydoll tops and low-cut jeans (I see this a lot in the Hispanic community around me). I also cannot stand the sight of jeans and running shoes. Converses are one thing, I'm talking about some tapered, saggy-butt Levi's from the 90's with a pair of these: