Precarious Fool
Are you kitten me right meow?

Old 09-14-2016, 10:34 AM

Leila frowned, the school did have lights but she could hardly see them through the forest. Thankfully she could see okay in the dark, not as well as if she had transformed into something more suitable, but enough that they didn't bump into the trees they flew past. Not that it wasn't close, she scraped her arm on the rough bark of one as she cut it close, hoping she didn't also injure Raphael. "I think I see lights now." She called out to him, though she didn't sound all that confident. What if she was taking them the wrong way, getting them more and more lost in the forest and closer to whatever it was that had caused this frantic run to begin with?

If only she hadn't wanted to climb the tree, then they'd probably already be back at the school and safe. Again her stomach growled at her, the hunger growing more painful, and she wished she hadn't been so careless. It had to be quite late to be this dark. Gripping Raphael's hand tighter she continued on, whatever light they were heading towards was getting brighter, so hopefully it was the right one.

Luke watched as people came and went, he wondered if he had done a good job with his directions to Myriam. Though he didn't understand how she hadn't been here before, he had found this place in the first week of school and pretty much came here everyday. There wasn't much else to do for someone like him, so it was nice he had this place. When Myriam entered he smiled and stood up, glad she hadn't been so lost she couldn't find the place. "Don't worry, I haven't been waiting long."

Now where would they start? "I'm not sure if we should start with a book about pirates or a book about old coins..." He mumbled, then he wondered if they should use the computers first. Yet, where was the fun in that? Hopefully the books would have the answers. Sure she would follow him, Luke set off towards the older section of the library. He knew where everything was and quickly found the shelf he was looking for. Scanning the titles he found the collection of books on pirates, most of them old and yellowed and personal accounts from people in the past. "Let's start with these ones." It would be easier to just both go through them. He pulled seven books off the shelf, they were heavy but he tried to not let it show as he struggled to carry the stack to the nearby side table, flanked by two leather chairs. If they were going to be here awhile, they might as well get comfortable.

He grabbed one of the books from the stack and opened it up, hoping Myriam would enjoy this as much as he was going to.

Evergreen Goddess
Lady's My Bestest Friend! ~
Send a message via MSN to Evergreen Goddess

Old 09-19-2016, 04:18 AM

Raphael felt his hand brush against the trunk of a tree and then something soft. A feeling of dread sunk in at that moment and he quickly kept up with Leila who was running really fast through the woods with good reason to. He wondered if anyone was looking for them or if anyone even noticed that they were gone. "Y-you do?" Raphael still couldn't see anything. "I d-don't see anything.." he said worriedly. At first he didn't, but then he did see something, and it was bright the closer they got. "Oh, now I see it." Hopefully that was the school, it looked too big to be a flashlight.

Seeing the light, he held her hand tightly and ran faster towards it. "Come on." he said, he was already tired from having run so much but they needed to get out of the woods and heck he'd carry her if he needed to. The thought made him blush. Of course it wouldn't be necessary, she seemed to be quick on her feet as well.

Myriam smiled and quickly followed after Luke. "Perhaps a book of old coins would be the better choice." she said quietly. She was new to this though so she really wasn't sure if what she said was true or not. Her yellow eyes widened slightly when she saw all the books that Luke had set down on the table. They were going to be here for a long time it seemed. It didn't matter, it looked exciting and it seemed to make Luke happy too. "Okay." Myriam took a book and carefully opened it, she didn't want to rip it. The pages felt so fragile beneath her fingers. One wrong move and they could tear so she had to be careful. Looking at Luke, he was handling the books with ease.

Of course he was, he had done this before. Myriam relaxed into the leather chair as she read through the book. They were trying to find information on the coin with Medusa's face on it. She had to tell herself that in her head so that she wouldn't forget.

Precarious Fool

Old 09-30-2016, 11:01 AM

Leila felt like her lungs were on fire, she wanted to stop and rest but knew they shouldn't, not until they made it back to the school anyways. Just when she was about to despair that they were lost, they burst into the clearing that led up to the school. The tall building looming in the not so far away distance. All feeling of dread left her when they were free from the forest, it even seemed to not be quite so dark. What had just happened to them? No longer so afraid, she dropped to the grass, rolling onto her back and looking up at the clouds, turned colours by the setting sun.

She struggled to catch her breath, even the cool air did little to soothe her lungs and she wondered how long they had been running. Perhaps she shouldn't have spent so much time being quite so lazy. "That was..." The words wouldn't come to her, so instead she just closed her eyes, resting on her back in the cool grass wondering what just happened to them.

---

Minutes passed but Luke couldn't seem to concentrate on the book in his lap. He had read the same page four times now and felt like he was getting nowhere. He glanced over at Myriam, she was busy with one of the books from his pile, and he wondered if that his problem. He had never invited someone to the library with him, especially not a girl, and so it was hard to focus on just reading. He felt the need to talk to her more, ask her about her life, what it was like to be a Gorgon. It would tell him so much more than a book ever could, yet his face heated at the thought of such a long, intense discussion with her. No, he wasn't sure he was ready for that.

Turning his attention to his book once more he forced himself to focus as he skimmed pages, flicking through quickly to see if anything pertained to medusa or old coins. It was a long shot, but he was hopeful. Maybe they should have started on the Internet, to see what they should look for. Well, if these books proved to be unhelpful, he'd just have to do that.

Evergreen Goddess

Old 10-24-2016, 09:19 PM

[[My goodness school has kept me busy!]]

Raphael felt his throat go dry from how exhausted he was. His arms and legs felt like noodles, he was surprised that he was still standing. He fell to his knees on the soft grass, closing his eyes and relaxing his breathing. His throat burned whenever he breathed in. "I don't think I've ever ran so fast in my life. Then again, I don't think I've ever been so terrified." he commented and looked over at Leila as she lay on the grass. He gently placed one hand on his chest as if that would slow his racing heart.

"That...that was too scary." he whispered and looked out in the direction they came from. "Something or someone is there. I...I felt it. Worse thing is that now they know we saw them and they know what we look like and where we are." Raphael explained. He didn't think wandering into the woods was a smart idea. Maybe they should tell a teacher about this. "We should go and tell someone.." Raphael suggested breathlessly.

~~~

So far, she found no coin that looked like the one they had found in the pond. There were talks of old coins but when she read the passages carefully, they never mentioned anything that she thought was Medusa. The coin was that of a Maenad. Her yellow eyes widened and she looked up from her book to look at Luke who was busy reading. She didn't want to disturb him but this sounded interesting and weren't Maenad's somewhat related to Gorgons? They were just as dangerous. "I...umm..." Myriam didn't know what to say as she looked back down at her book.

"I..I think I found something. I don't know if it's what we're looking for...b-but I thought it sounded interesting and that maybe you would want to read it?" Myriam confessed. Her hands set the book down on the table and turned it so that Luke could read what she was talking about. "L-look...right here. They mention a coin with a Maenad. M-maybe it could sort of be related to the one we found?" she asked as she pointed to the passage.

Precarious Fool

Old 11-17-2016, 12:00 PM

Leila was quiet, was he right, should they tell someone? Would the teachers believe him or even care? She didn't know and she wasn't one for going to adults with her problems. Now that they were free from the forest, and safe, she didn't feel so terrified, didn't feel the danger she had... In fact she wanted to go back in, to find out what it was that chased them, what danger lurked there.

"Maybe they'll listen to you, but they wont believe me." That was truth, they didn't care for her here, why would they? She cut class, she didn't listen, she got into stuff. If it wasn't for the family money she would have been kicked out in her first year. Sitting up she scanned the tree line, looking for a clue, something... but the feeling of dread wasn't there, it was brighter, the birds sung, and no signs of whatever chase them lurked. "It didn't follow us, whatever it is, so maybe it can't. What if we were just imagining it all?" Even as she said the words she knew the answer, no imagination could make her so afraid. Something had chased them and they had been lucky to get away.

As she struggled to her feet her legs seemed to shake, exhausted from their run and her body begging for something. It had been too long since she ate, even without the running she would be feeling it. Everything seemed to spin and she steadied herself, gripping Raphael's shoulder. She used her free hand to frantically check her pockets, dismayed to find that the cookies she had stashed away much have fallen out while they ran. "I, uh..." She mumbled, not wanting to worry Raphael, but needing to get something to eat quickly. "I think we missed dinner." She said with a small, forced laugh. "Maybe we can get something..." She was all but swaying on her feet though, the tiredness and hunger catching up to her all at once.

---

Luke jumped when he heard Myriam's voice, he had nearly forgotten he was here with someone, so used to doing this alone. Setting his book down in his lap he turned to the one she held out to him. Maenad? It sounded familiar, Greek, so maybe they were on the right track. Quickly he scanned the page, it mentioned nothing of medusa or a gorgon, but the book was far closer than any he had read so far. "It's closer than I've gotten, they both from the Greek mythology, so maybe that book has more information. Does it mention more about where the coin came from, why it was made, or something like that?" He could have easily read it himself, but he didn't want to steal all the excitement from her. Well, if this was even exciting to her, to him it was thrilling, he loved discovering new information, finding what he was looking for. Of course most people would call him strange for that.

That gave him an idea though, he stood, "I've a few more books to grab..." He mumbled in a half-explanation as he hurried away. A few more books on Greek mythology might also be helpful, he didn't remember much about treasures or anything like that in there, but maybe. There were many books on the subject, he grabbed the largest ones of the group, hoping they'd contain something helpful. It didn't take him long, since he knew every shelf on this library just about, so he was back to the table with four new books in no time, adding to their already large pile.

Evergreen Goddess

Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 PM

Raphael waited for his heart to stop racing before speaking up. "No way we were imagining that. I accidentally touched it. It wasn't a person, it was something and it's still out there. It's probably really smart if it knows not to follow us all the way here." he said and looked back at Leila who seemed to be struggling to stand. "Are you okay?" Raphael asked her, obviously concerned. Oh, she was in need of food. Now that she mentioned it, he was pretty hungry too. Maybe they could sneak into the cafeteria and get themselves a little something before they spoke to someone about what happened. Raphael didn't see anything wrong with that. After their scare it seemed only fair that they be fed. "Yeah...we should go and get some food and then we'll go see the headmaster. Don't worry, I'll do the talking. Hopefully they believe me."

Raphael looked at her and frowned. She looked to be having a hard time standing so he didn't think she'd be able to walk very well until after she had some food. "I'll carry you. You look exhausted." he pointed out and hoped that she wouldn't mind being carried but it would ensure that they got food faster. Picking her up in his arms, Raphael was too exhausted to turn invisible so he just walked off towards the cafeteria. Of course no one was there but some of the cooks still were. They seemed to be getting everything cleaned up. Pushing the door open with his back, he walked over to a table and set her down. "Sit here and I'll go get you something sweet." he said to her then turned and headed over to the area with the food, hopefully he'd be able to get something.

~~~

Myriam looked back at the page she had been reading and read it some more. "It says it was m-made around four hundred BC." she informed and scanned through the page some more. She was trying her best to find out more information on it. "The reason such coins were made, was to honor the god Dionysus. The Maenads were his followers and would kill anyone who disrespected their god." she read aloud then frowned. This was all new to her and it had to be true if it was in the book right? "Wow...very interesting. I didn't know this..." she said and let out a nervous chuckle. "Y-you would t-think that I did." she said quietly. Myriam was still really nervous to be doing this but she was having fun. Her only fear was that she was probably looking like an idiot in front of Luke. He looked like the kind of student that already knew all of this stuff. Was he enjoying himself? She wondered if maybe it would have been a better idea to leave him alone. This was his specialty and she didn't want to get in the way.

Myriam looked at him and nodded. Then he was gone and she was left to turn the pages of the book in search for something new that would be really helpful to them right now. When he returned, Myriam looked at the other books he had brought for them to look at and smiled, he really wanted to find out about that coin didn't he? Or maybe he just enjoyed reading. Looking back at her book, she read a bit more on Maenads but it wasn't anything that touched on the coin. Still it was interesting to learn about these things even if it was only for fun.