Zimmerdale
To give a shit or not give a shi...

Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM

When I was in grade school, math was shoved down our throats and we were constantly learning more math stuff. I had trouble with math up to the point it felt as if the teachers were going WAY TOO FAST for me. So I was put into Title 1 Math (man, did I feel stupid).

Years later, I barely passed my academic Algebra classes in school. And to be honest, I still don't know how to divide without a calculator, I still don't know how to take a percentage off of a price, I still don't know how to multiply big numbers (or anything with an 8 and 7 in the same problem) without a calculator. None of my teachers ever spent enough time with me on it and my mother couldn't help me because she never learned the stuff I was being taught. She did try teaching me multiplication, but I always got too frustrated with it-- she couldn't help me.

Now letters added into a math problem is a whole other disaster for me...

When I go into college and have to take a math class, I'll be severely doomed and I sometimes freak out about it. My generation has made me feel stuck and really stupid.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM

To be honest, I don't remember how to divide without a calculator or take a percentage off a price without a calculator either, unless it's 50%. XD I think I can do multiplication with big numbers, but I'm not sure because I haven't had to do it without a calculator in a long time.

I think equations with letters aren't too hard. All you need, to solve them, is the basics, I'm pretty sure.

They will allow you to use a calculator in college. If you ever need help, maybe you can go to a math tutor center at your college? Most colleges seem to have one. If that doesn't help, I can try helping you. XD I'm offering to help with math in the homework help section.

Anyway, you're not doomed. And we may have privileges that people in the past did not, but I don't think that makes us stupid. D:<

Vox
*^_^*

Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 PM

Try Khan Academy! It's a series to videos to help you learn various subjects at every level from elementary school to college. What's nice about video lectures is that if the speaker is going too fast for you, you can always rewind!

It's useful to understand these basic foundations like multiplication, if only to make mental computation faster and easier. But in truth, with all this technology at our disposal, I say why bother at all with mental computation? Why memorize some algorithm for multiplication of three-digit numbers or long division when we have calculators to save us from wasting time and effort on something so trivial? I am a math major, and I am completely comfortable admitting that I struggle with multiplication and addition of fractions and usually wind up plugging them into a calculator. At the same, I am comfortable making the claim that I am good at math, and that is not contradictory because there is much more to math than executing an algorithm and performing calculations.

Algebra, on the other hand, is extremely useful and is something you're going to want to understand for any college classes you take. Again, Khan Academy has a lot stuff on algebra, so you should be okay! There is no reason you can't do perfectly fine in a college math class if you put your all into making sure you're caught up, and start as soon as possible! And if you ever need help with math, I will be glad to help you if I am around.

Zimmerdale
To give a shit or not give a shi...

Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Wow. Thanks guys!

I sure hope I get to us a calculator in college. Otherwise I'd be completely loss and would end up failing the course!

Thanks for the link to Khan Academy, Vox! I saved it to my chrome's favorites for later use. Once I know I'll be applying to a college, I'll definitely be looking over those videos.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 AM

I did fine with math up until high school. I even took Pre-Algebra in middle school, and understood it! Then I got to high school, failed miserably in Algebra I, and had to transfer paths. I made a thirteen. A THIRTEEN. I switched from College to Tech Prep and got the easy math. I was happy. I went straight into retail. I do regret not going to college, but that's alright. My dream was to be a mom in a happy family, and I have it. I'll get a degree if I need it. [I'm not saying follow my footsteps. This just worked with me because I had low goals, and I'm terrible with math.]

Last edited by Seridano; 01-02-2014 at 08:46 PM..

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm not very good at doing calculations in my head. Give me pen and paper or a calculator though and I can do it though.

I was okay with math up till Math A. I spent the first half of the year trying to figure out what the hell was going on and then about halfway through the year I had an AHA! moment and things just clicked for me and I ended up getting the highest grade in my class on the Regents. Math B was quite a bit more difficult though and they changed the Regents exam on us that year and ended up having to give us all quite a curve in the end because a lot of people failed it...

The last math class I took was Calculus in college. That was hell... 8:00am Calculus Freshman Year. Those words don't belong together in a sentence. T_T The only way I passed that class is by going to the weekly reviews. I feel that college professors go out of their way more to help students that are seeking aid so to be honest I wouldn't stress about having to take math in college. Most schools are aware that there are a lot of students that really struggle in math and they offer you the most basic possible courses which are usually catered towards students with difficulties.

Vox
*^_^*

Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 AM

No problem! I have it saved in my favorites as well! ^^

And zig brought up another good point - most colleges have resources for students who struggle in math, like extra after-class study or tutoring sessions. You just have to find out what's available and utilize it. And get to know your instructor! Get their office hours and if you need help, go see them. At the least, make friends with your classmates and organize your own study group. I still do this in math classes, and it helps my understanding so much to get a few more perspectives on the same concept.

As long as you don't give up, you're going to be fine. :)