Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusXL
She should have been angered by that, but she really wasn't. Instead, she turned a grin.

"You've grown up quite a bit."

She threw her arms on her hips and leaned to the side, giving him that sort of "I dare you" look.

"Tell you what. I'll leave the village and go to the prince's marriage... thing if YOU figure out what to do with the horses."

With that she headed off into the kitchens to make something to eat for the both of them. The help was busy and she really didn't want to bother them; she had to work here long enough to empathize with these people.

So that's exactly what he did. He got a drink (Of water, he was on duty after all) and began to drink, curious as to how he could solve Lynn's problem. Sure she was a half elf, but people made mistakes, you couldn't really blame someone for who their parents were, at least not in Justin's understanding. So the black haired man sat and pondered while Lynn did her thing.

She could...No, she couldn't do that...Hmm...What about...No, that wouldn't work either. This was harder than it sounded. How about...That's it!! He slapped his fist into his palm. It was perfect.

"Lynn!!!"

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seripha
Mariah hummed to herself as she wandered around the street, looking in at stands to see what was for sale and anything else that interested her. There were a few things to look at, but nothing really attention grabbing. Bakeries, butcheries, furs, tailors, the run of the mill thing. Nothing that really screamed, "You will have a fun life here!" Some man had tried to convince her to join a brothel but Mariah had only laughed and then punched the man square in the nose, leaving him bleeding and cursing. What was he expecting from her? A blush and averted eyes? He had the wrong girl on that one.

Even though Mariah laughed about that she was still slightly frustrated. She had been wandering for two weeks, trying to find something that was interesting, something that she could be employed in. Yes, the Inn would always be there, but there was no longer any room for her with her brother's bursting at the seams family. She could always live with one of her other older brothers, for she had plenty, but still they all had families and she was just another annoyance for their wives. All lovely women, but very maternal and Mariah wasn't exactly good with those types of women. At least when she had to live with them and do what they said.

"Oh, no thanks." Mariah smiled to a vendor who was trying to convince her to buy a lilac sash. It was pretty enough, but it would probably get all tangled up in her bo if she was ever to fight.

Ahhh fighting. Now if only she could make money by fighting all the time. She could wear pants! Now that would be something fun and boy would her nurse Winnefred be so upset if the news ever came around her way. But, as it was, Mariah was a woman. It was hard for a woman to get a good fighting, "hands on" job. If a woman was to be employed at all, it was usually as a scout or something else that meant that she couldn't get into the nitty gritty, bone crushing, bruise making, blood gushing part of it all. However much Mariah wished it when she was younger, she couldn't change the fact that she was a woman. She did take solace in the fact that her mother was apparently something of an warrior.

"Ah poo. What am I going to do with myself?!"
"Well, if you stand there much longer, I'll hang a sign on you to attract customers since you're standing in mah doorway." She'd feel the brush of a broom at her ankles as an old woman swept her doorway and talked, it seemed Mariah's wonderings had led her to stop right in front of sherbet vendor.

hexeos
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to hexeos Send a message via Yahoo to hexeos

Old 03-14-2007, 11:20 PM

(And now that the mighty me hath returned from my sojourn away from my computer, I post. Otherwise, Kat'll yell at me like she usually does...)

"Ah yes, but aren't you nobles supposed to be courteous of us more common people? Especially those from places like Duvah? After all, for all you know I could be an envoy in disguise, considering the habits of my not-so-illustrious leader."

Ah yes, the rude act was mostly dropped at this point, instead replaced by a cunning smirk. And then, a bow showing that this man was at least no stranger to dealing with nobles, and then he straightened.

"Anyways, I suppose you're wondering who I am and what I'm doing here, milady. The name is Marlon Gale, an enterprising young merchant. I'd brought in some ships to fill my warehouse here, but my buyers for the goods have...disappeared most inconveniently. So I had come here to try and gain an audience, and see if the palace might be interested in buying."

MagnusXL
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to MagnusXL

Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 AM

"Just a sec!"

Lynn was busy with a pot of rice that just didn't want to cook in a timely fasion. Not being able to leave the room or it could overflow or burn, she was sweeping the kitchen floor in the mean time. Fortunatly for her, one of the staff came to rescue her.

"Just go'n see what ee wants, Saph. I has to cook fer tonight, anywhoo.."

"Kay."

So she headed out to see if Justin thought of a crazy solution or if he just needed more water.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 AM

((Rawrs all over Hex. Rawrs, tell you! Rawr!))

Damn, he had here there. 'Stazi was all the time telling her to be more polite, to use those manners that he knew mother had instilled in her. But then again, where had those manners gotten her. Dead at her own brother in law's hands. She was strained as she listened to the man's little lecture, though one would have to know Serefina rather well to know that she was strained.

She supposed she should get off the horse, but a few horse freedom was only a hoofbeats away. And she hadn't really been supposing. She could honestly care less. If he was riff raff, the guards would have dealt with him, if he had legitimate business, then the Vizier would have seen him. "I'm sorry to hear about that, Mister Gale. I couldn't say whether the palace would be interested or not, though I've heard the princess is rather fond of things from the Chaizu even with war almost breaking. If you had something of that, I'm sure you could get seen."

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
"Just a sec!"

Lynn was busy with a pot of rice that just didn't want to cook in a timely fasion. Not being able to leave the room or it could overflow or burn, she was sweeping the kitchen floor in the mean time. Fortunatly for her, one of the staff came to rescue her.

"Just go'n see what ee wants, Saph. I has to cook fer tonight, anywhoo.."

"Kay."

So she headed out to see if Justin thought of a crazy solution or if he just needed more water.
He was grinning like a madman when Lynn came back out. "What if I bought the horses and then gave them to you." He was impressed with his own largess. He could buy the two horses from the stable with the travel money he'd been saving.

All the messengers were given so much money to insure they made their trips in a timely and efficient manner, but some of the small farm boy remained in him, and he had snatched bread and cheese and was keeping his money in savings. But he knew Lynn belonged in the village about as much as he did. And she had been one of the few people who'd always been nice to him, if not directly.

hexeos
*^_^*

Old 03-15-2007, 01:02 AM

A wide grin crossed the merchant's face, and a knowing look in his eyes, as if he had already known that fact. Which he had, even if he wasn't going to flat out say so. As it was, the noble lady would likely assume that the grin was from his next statement, and one of satisfaction.

"That happens, in fact, to be the bulk of what I imported. Various items in styles from Chiazu including art and such. I even managed to get my hands on a few of their weapons despite their usual reluctance to hand those out to strangers."

MagnusXL
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 AM

But... ah.

Lynn was going to chime in on how ludicrous she thought that was, but then shut her mouth. She had no idea how much a royal messenger got paid, but it had to be more than anyone in the town. Besides possibly her father, but he was subjegated to heavy taxes.

"Even if you did, how would I transport two horses?"

She couldn't help but chuckle to herself. Throwing up her hands, she knew that Justin was going to win this. Not that it saddened Lynn in the slightest; the prince's marriage would be the best excuse to get out of town. No doubt that any unwed farmers would be sent down the same path.

And if she had the horses, there would be no duties to tie her to the town.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexeos
A wide grin crossed the merchant's face, and a knowing look in his eyes, as if he had already known that fact. Which he had, even if he wasn't going to flat out say so. As it was, the noble lady would likely assume that the grin was from his next statement, and one of satisfaction.

"That happens, in fact, to be the bulk of what I imported. Various items in styles from Chiazu including art and such. I even managed to get my hands on a few of their weapons despite their usual reluctance to hand those out to strangers."
The girl's eyes widened as he mentioned the treasures, a small flush crossing her cheeks at the mention of the weapons. You would think she was the 'princess', with the way she was reacting to this news. Okay, so she was, but still. He didn't know that. "Wow, I'm sure she'll be really impressed.", she smirked as she finally caught up to her brain.

"Although, getting through the Vizier might be the toughest parts. He seems to think the princess should be more interested in marriage than weaponry." She chuckled at the thought as if she'd met the princess and knew that to be as unlikely as the sun rising in the west and setting in the east.

"But I do wish you good luck."

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
But... ah.

Lynn was going to chime in on how ludicrous she thought that was, but then shut her mouth. She had no idea how much a royal messenger got paid, but it had to be more than anyone in the town. Besides possibly her father, but he was subjegated to heavy taxes.

"Even if you did, how would I transport two horses?"

She couldn't help but chuckle to herself. Throwing up her hands, she knew that Justin was going to win this. Not that it saddened Lynn in the slightest; the prince's marriage would be the best excuse to get out of town. No doubt that any unwed farmers would be sent down the same path.

And if she had the horses, there would be no duties to tie her to the town.

"You could use them yourself. Or sell one and use the other." He shrugged, what she did with the horses after she owned them was her own business. It was then that the minstrel walked in, ordering a beer to 'ready' himself for his performance that evening.

hexeos
*^_^*

Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 AM

"Well then, as you sound like you're acquainted with the princess...how about I neglect to mention those to the Vizier and instead she can contact me to purchase them directly? After all, from what I've heard she's quite a feisty little thing. As much as the Vizier would like to tie her down in a political marriage, I doubt a woman like her would be willing to marry quite yet, or settle simply for politics."

Quite crafty he was, there. After all, with the news that the Vizier himself likely wouldn't buy the weapons, it was always better to deal with the interested party directly, if a little more dangerous. Plus, if he could get acquainted with the princess, it could give him a way into the palace. Which would mean even more opportunities to make money. Or even, possibly, a way to have some influence.

Not that a mere merchant would ever aspire to some things, oh no.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 01:27 AM

"Hmmm..."

Damn, he had to tempt me with those weapons. Good thing he doesn't know I -am- the princess. Blessed Prime. I want to see them!

"I am acquainted with her highness, but those she trusts with her secrets lose that trust if they go blabbing it all over." One finger went to her chin as if she was considering the pros or cons of introducing them.

"Besides, one good turn deserves another. What do I get out of introducing you?" Might as well as live up to expectations, as a grubbing noble. Nothing was for free in the world supposedly.

hexeos
*^_^*

Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 AM

"Ah, a trade, eh? Well then, how about I give you..."

A slight pause for dramatic effect, a flourish of his hand, and suddenly there was something in his hand that wasn't there before. A beautifully crafted hair pin, made in the style of Chiazu, and with tiny dark blue sapphires embedded in it. Obviously an expensive piece, for him to have just brought it out in the open, though she'd be hard pressed to find where he had kept it.

"...this lovely item. It was one I had brought as a sample to show the Vizier, but I believe I can part with one Besides, I think it'd look good on you."

Obviously he didn't know she was the princess, if he was trying to flirt with her while also trying to bribe his way into a business connection.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 01:42 AM

Her dark violet eyes twinkled with merriment. She'd forgotten how nice it was to meet a man who didn't know she was the princess. They could actually be civil and entertaining. "How beautiful...", obviously pleased with the gemstone.

The flirting aspect of his comment went completely over her head though, she'd had it thrown at her too many time, she simply took it at face value. "That's nice of you to say." She was an odd sort of contradictions, in some ways protected, and other ways cynical.

"And of course, I can show it to the princess as to give her an idea of what you have to offer..." There was that cynical part, thinking he was giving the gift with ulterior motives only, not as a gift to a pretty girl at all. She reached down for the pin, to admire it closer.

"Is there a particular message you'd like me to relay to her highness?", She'd accepted the gift and was willing, she only waited to hear what he had to say so she could 'deliver' the message.

MagnusXL
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 AM

"I suppose..."

If she DID sell one, Lynn would make sure it was someone who knew how to care for the animal properly. Quite frankly, she didn't trust much anyone around here. They weren't bad people. Just stupid. She closed her eyes for a second and smiled.

"Thanks."

She gave a wave to the minstral as he walked in before continuing her conversation.

"You'll have to excuse me for the moment. They'll need help setting up for tonight, at least. Our food should be done, any time now."

With that she headed back into the kitchen to pick up where she left off.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 AM

Justin nodded, and let her go about her business. It was an important step she was about to make. He wasn't going to pressure her. Besides, despite her being a half elf, he'd always liked her, and anything to get her away from this soulless town would be good.

Okay, so maybe he was still harboring that crush from childhood on her, but hey, it was only a week of hunting his own food to make her happy. Maybe he was still a yokel, who knew. He shrugged the thought away and toasted the minstral. "I have a royal message for you to read before your performance tonight, Josin."

"Ah. Master Justin. I see you made your dream come true."

"Aye, most of it." And the two would sit until it was performance time, discussing the past when Josin had been Justin's tutor.

hexeos
*^_^*

Old 03-15-2007, 01:55 AM

"Only that I look forward to doing business with her, if she so chooses."

A slight smirk crossed his face again, as he began to see this girl as a kind of a challenge. His flirting had just been brushed off, as if she hadn't even noticed it, which meant he wanted to see what it would take to get something out of her. So...

"I understand, however, that the princess might not want to meet with me herself, however. So perhaps she could use you as a go between instead? You seem interesting enough, after all, despite the initial...incident at our meeting."

Ah, if only the merchant knew who she was.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 AM

"It's what we're trained to be..." She smirked as she responded to his comment about her being 'interesting'. "..interesting that is. If a noble woman isn't interesting or at least docile with an enormous purse, she's not much good." her own bitterness seeped into her comment.

"The Vizier has been trying for two years to marry 'Fina off, but she got her father's promise before he got sick that she could chose her own husband." Another chuckle as she thought of how much conniving that had taken, although he would most likely take it merely as amusement.

hexeos
*^_^*

Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 AM

"Ha, she must have had a hard time convincing her father to agree to that. After all, it's not often that royalty has the chance to marry for love, or even just like. Still, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for her. Unless she manages to get out into the world more, all she'll have to choose from are the local nobles, or those the Vizier tries to introduce her to."

It was just small talk to him, really. True, in his opinion, but as far as he was concerned it was harmless. He didn't know this was being said to the princess directly, after all. If he had, he might have been a bit more...careful about criticizing her situation.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 AM

"She's an enterprising girl, I wouldn't bet her so shortsighted.", she couldn't resist the smirk that lingered on her face. She had her ways. "Besides, you're male. You can do whatever you want, when you want, as long as you can afford it. Even with money, women are restricted, although I've heard of some countries like Duvah where it's a bit more equal."

The horse pranced slightly, wanting to be away from the town and running free, which was 'Fina's cue. "I really should be going. I need to be back soon to see to my...uh... duties."

"Princess!!" One of the guards called out from his position above them.. "You'd better get going. The Vizier's looking for you!" She looked at Marlon and grinned sheepishly.

"Sorry...Gotta go."

She didn't waste another word but turned the horse around, and fled down the pebblepath towards the town gate, luckily for her, the guard who'd warned her was a friend and had warned her, otherwise she'd have to meet yet another prince. Too bad it'd let up her game with Marlon. Now he'd know for sure who she actually was.

hexeos
*^_^*

Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 AM

Upon hearing her say she had to leave, he was a little disappointed. After all, it wasn't often that he met someone as beautiful, intelligent, and engaging as her. Therefore, when he heard her referred to as 'princess' poor Marlon was actually caught off guard. Still, he recovered enough to yell something after her with a grin.

"Well, milady, be sure to visit me down in the city at some time! I'll look forward to your patronage, as well as more engaging conversation!"

And then he stared after her for a moment, before deciding that his business with the Vizier could wait until the 'morrow. After all, it wouldn't do any good to have the Vizier connect him to the princess running off. Or, even worse, having the Vizier actually recognize him. And so, Marlon began heading back down the road and into the city instead, thinking on the encounter.

"Hmm...she's a lot more interesting that I'd thought she would be, for a princess."

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 02:43 AM

"I'll do that!" She was smiling broadly, he still seemed interested, but not more so than before. Perhaps it was naive of her to take his 'engaging' conversation comment seriously, but it made her smile. So she waved back to him with one hand while she guided the horse with the other.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Damn you, fool." The vizier was too busy yelling at the guard to notice Marlon leaving. The guard wouldn't lose his position. The princess wouldn't allow that. But the Vizier was a physically powerful man as well as a influential one and there was more than one way to skin a cat.

"If I ever catch you helping the princess on one of these escapades again, you will wish all I did was execute you. If one hair on her head is harmed, I will personally see you tortured." he was frustrated, both of the royal siblings refused to allow themselves to become even engaged at this point, and the country needed that stability, what with them on the verge of war and all. At least the prince had finally relented and agreed to at least interview a few females.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Once outside the city gates at last, 'Fina let the horse fly, clodding over the fields like a madwoman, enjoying the air and quite simply being a bit silly. She wasn't wearing a skirt, so it was nothing for her to kneel into the horse as they raced across the field, barely even managing to wave at a few non citizens as they farmed before she was past them and almost to the woods.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 AM

"There she is..."

"Told ya she'd escape like she always does."

"Heh." One man stepped out from behind the tree that both of them had been hiding and lifted his arrow, taking careful aim for the horse beneath her legs. "Well, she won't escape us. We need that ransom money. "

And the arrow went flying, perfect aim as always, but Darkness was far from a normal horse, and even though there was no sign of the arrow's passage, the horse reared right before it reached it, letting the arrow shot harmlessly into the ground beside.

"Whoa Darkness!" 'Fina held onto the reins for dear life. She'd been so distracted thinking about that merchant and his weapons that she'd been on autopilot, luckily Darkness thought for her.

"What's going on here!?", she demanded imperialistically after she had settled the stallion down. Her eyes scanned the horizon and picked out the two figures, even as they approached, her one hand reaching for the sword at the cinch.

"This here is an abduction, princess." the man chuckled even as Serefina withdrew her blade. "Look here Herod, the little princess thinks she can wield that big bad sword." Both men chuckled and approached.

Tabi Kat
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 03:48 AM

"Oh, Sweet Primes...Another one." She sighed, she'd thought it was something interesting. The sword slid down, but not before she'd removed one of the jewels that had been set into the blade. They were made removable for just such a reason.

"Come on, princess. Get down and we won't have to hurt that pretty horse you got."

Serefina merely quirked an eyebrow at the man, wondering what in the hell he was doing in charge of a kidnapping plot. He was a complete idiot. "You're not going to hurt this horse, because he's going to hurt you first. Darkness!" She shouted the horses name like a command, and the horse reared, knocking one man over, while the man who'd spoke stumbled backwards. She wasn't even going to need the stone. The horse came back down on the man's forehead, killing him instantly as the guy underneath scrambled away.

"Don't hurt me! Don't hurt me!!" He began stumbling, running off to the forest while Darkness did a two step on his partner.

She hadn't wanted to kill the man, but Darkness always knew what attack would be best, and apparently he wouldn't have been dissuaded otherwise. And now the black horse's hoofs were covered in blood and flesh. Lovely. Which meant she had to find an inn for a few hours until the horse could be cleaned up.

With a look of regret, the princess turned about and headed more somberly back towards the gates. Paladin she may be, but it didn't mean she liked taking life. Even Marlon was wiped from her thoughts as she offered a prayer for the man's soul.

"Hail!" The guard called out to Serefina as she entered the gates, and with sad eyes, the princess met them. "Is there something the matter, princess?" Then his eyes caught the bottom of the horses's legs and he shuddered. "Another attempt. second one this month."

She simply nodded, "Just point me to a good inn where I can rest and Darkness can get clean before I go back." The man nodded and she turned the horses head in that direction. How quickly your mood could change when other lives surrounded you.

hexeos
*^_^*

Old 03-15-2007, 04:02 AM

About the time that the princess was reaching the gate, Marlon reached the scene of the corpse, and stopped to look at it coldly. Though he had been cheerful up to this point, gone was the cheerful and jovial merchant, and instead stood a man with hard eyes. Judging from everything, it seemed like someone had gotten trampled by a horse after a scuffle, and two other people had gone different directions. The one on the horse had headed towards town, and judging from the wet drips and lack of a hidden trail, the other had headed for the forest.

As he hadn't seen anyone else with a horse on this road, this meant that someone had attacked the princess. And obviously gotten the worse of it.

It took only a minute to figure out which path to follow. The princess would be safer in the city, but Marlon wanted to know if these assailants had simply been wanting a ransom, had been trying to kill her, or otherwise. So, he followed the man who had run, moving at a fast run rather than the casual stroll he'd been using before.

"Bah. Can't let my newest big customer die on me before she's even bought something."