pax romana

Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 AM

Gaiman also wrote American Gods, a wholly engrossing book that I'm finding difficult to follow up. Perhaps the Graveyard Book should be my next one? Gaiman's mix of macabre and thriller is pretty addicting. x]

||_HXC_||
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to ||_HXC_||

Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte View Post
I enjoy the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series.. :) Its a pretty long set and its still not complete, but its well worth it. ^^
Best series I have yet to read. My EX-boyfriends mother got me addicted to it. Either way, it's a very, VERY good series with lycans, vampires and other sorts of shape shifters. Also some humans in it, I mean Anita blake is the exocuctioner. It has action(of both sorts) mystery to a certain degree and supense. So, all in all, it's a damn fine series wih a good plot if you ask me.

PaintTheSkyRed
Lovin' It
Send a message via Yahoo to PaintTheSkyRed

Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM

The Night World Series by L.J. Smith.

saw7771
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to saw7771

Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 PM

For lovers of epic fantasy i would recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Its currently an eleven book series with in depth characterization and a nice detail to scenary.

Sinister Sassy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 AM

If you're into paranormal romance, I strongly recommend any of the "Black Dagger Brotherhood" books by J.R. Ward. They can get very steamy, and may not be appropriate for all ages, and they touch on topics that may make some people uncomfortable (homosexuality, survivors of violent crimes, drugs) but the stories are very engrossing.
If you're looking for more heat, then I think any of the "Dark..." series novels by Christine Feehan would suit. These are more graphic than the Black Dagger Brotherhood books, and are definitely NOT for younger readers.

Darkness_Embraced
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 AM

I suggest The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice... Its an amazing Vampire book series. The books are in an order, but you dont really need to read them in order.

SesshysMiko
Literally, I can't.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:11 AM

The Demonata by Darren Shan is pretty good. I believe there are 9 books out so far and there's a 10th one coming. It's good if you like demons and werewolves and whatnot.

Wings by Aprilynne Pike was magical and romantic. This is the first book in the series, and only right now, I'm not sure when the others are coming out and how many there will be. This is a good read if you like fairies and magical creatures.

_citr0n
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 PM

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a really good if you're interested in a sad book about friendship, love, honor, and redemption.

falling up
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to falling up

Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 PM

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Wicked,Son of a Witch,Confessions of an ugly Stepsister [for those who hate Cindrella mostly] by Gregory Maguire
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
Howl's Moving Castle and House of Many Ways [sequel] by Diana Wynne Johnes

Saiyouri
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-13-2009, 10:20 PM

I recommend anyone to read 'The Heroin Diaries' by Nikki Sixx. He is the bassist from the band Motley Crue. He wrote a book about his drug use and I never knew anything about druggies. And now after reading his book, I have alot more respect for people who are addicted to drugs. I can now understand a little about what they are going through and that some of them are doing them because of things they went through in their lives. I have some things in common with Nikki and reading his book made me change the way I thought about alot of things that happened in my past and I was able to deal with them alot better. That is one book I would definately recommend reading. I love that man now. He truly over came alot to be where he is today. Including coming back from the dead, litterly.

LittleFox
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Warriors By Erin Hunter

Faeries of Dream Dark: the BlackBringer, by Lanni Taylor(Sp)

Terrier By Tamora Pierce

Panrori
Punk-Lolita
Send a message via AIM to Panrori Send a message via MSN to Panrori Send a message via Yahoo to Panrori

Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 AM

If you are into the Twilight saga I reccomend books like.
Vapire Kisses~ by Ellen Schreiber and Generation Dead~ by Daniel Waters. Once dead-Twice shy is also a good book!

Azika
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 AM

I would recommend the book HawkSong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. It's one of my most favorite books and I've read it more than once. It would fall under fantasy and romance. There's four other books in the series (though i've forgotten the series title) SnakeCharm, FalconDance, WyvernHail, and WolfCry.

Overton Transpire
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-16-2009, 03:50 AM

My two cents on the matter:

-Anyone aiming to write fiction needs to pick up A Maze of Death by Philip K Dick. It's a perfect demonstration of how to lay down masses and masses of atmosphere without falling back on pages and pages of pacing-breaking description. The ending may come out of left field, but if you can sit through the second-to-last chapter (which was almost as boring and contrived as The Man In The High Castle, PKD's most critically acclaimed and worst book), the last chapter makes it well worth your time. I hope you like downer endings, though. I also highly recommend his books Solar Lottery and A Scanner Darkly for both being entertaining reads and being great counter-arguments to snobs who claim science fiction is all idiotic space opera with no redeeming value. (Don't watch the movie of A Scanner Darkly; it really doesn't adapt well to film.)

-If someone is into the idea of arms races, blowing up everyone who disagrees with them, and other such violet idiocy, smack them upside the head with The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss. Yes, Dr. Seuss. He wrote an incredibly effective satire of the Cold War arms race in words so simple that little kids could understand, with perpetual rhyming, and that alone makes it worth reading.

-In case you missed Alegretto's ginormous write-up of George R. R. Martin's epic series A Song of Ice and Fire on the second page of this thread... just go back there. It was right on the money and I don't have the brainpower right now to create anywhere near as good of an explanation as to why the series is worth every door-stoppingly large book. Or was to me, in any case.

sekhmetrising

Old 08-16-2009, 04:04 AM

I just finished Isolde: Queen of the Western Isle by Rosalind Miles and I must say that it was fantastic. She has an amazing way of retelling a classic legend in such a dramatic fashion that you really feel like you get to know the characters. It's the first part of the trilogy and I'm really looking forward to finishing them. If you're the type to enjoy retelling of Celtic myths, Juliet Mariller has a fantastic (tear-jerking) trilogy.
I'm also in the middle of the Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series, It starts with Dead before Dark, and they're without doubt the most entertaining vampire series I've read so far. They're the ones the HBO show True Blood is based on. They're definitely adult, but they're lighthearted good novels where vampires are important, but not the end-all be-all of the plot. I'm also a huge Amelia Atwater-Rhodes fan, she's fantastic and intriguing, though I wasn't crazy about Wolfcry at all.

Saiyana2
The Water Sprite

Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 AM

My recommendations would be:

The Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey
The Xanth books by Piers Anthony
Andre Norton's books
Robert Heinlien's books
Edgar Rice Burrough's books, ( The Warlord of Mars books are dated but well worth reading anyway) Burroughs was a wonderful writer and he wrote alot more than just the Tarzan books.

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 08-24-2009, 12:49 PM

I read mainly oriental or fastasy books, here are some good ones to look out for:
ORIENTAL:
The otori series by Lian Hearn
-Across the nightingale floor
-Grass for his pillow
-Briliance of the moon
-Heavens net is wide
-Harsh cry of the heron

Empress orchid - An chee min
The last empress - An chee min

FANTASY:
The inheritance series by Christoper paolini
Eragon
Eldest
Brisingr

The edge chroncles by Paul stuart & Chris ridell
(there are over 10 books in this series I shall name the first few)
Beyond the deep woods
Storm chaser
Midnight over sanctaphrax

The 'inkheart' series (not sure who by but they're popular books so you should be able to find it easy)
Inkheart
Inkspell
(There is another i've forgotten the name)

The riddles of Epsilon by Christine Morton-shaw

Period books-
Picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde
The raging quiet by Sheryll Jordan
Hush, a slave princess' tale by donna jo napoli

I tihnk thats enopugh recomendations, If you want any more feel free to pm me i;'m a complete book nerd!

Saiyana2
The Water Sprite

Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 AM

Eastriel if you like Eragon you really need to read the Dragonriders of Pern books. I am firmly convinced that Christopher read them before he wrote his series.

Missy Rin
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-25-2009, 06:07 AM

For those who like Vampire Novels I recommend: The Anita Blake-Vampire Hunter series By Laurell K Hamilton, The House of Night series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast, and The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead.
For the lovers of the Classic Books: Pride & Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Sense & Sensibility, Jane Eyre, A Christmas Carol, and A Tale of Two Cities! All highly recommended!
For the people who are still children at heart or just like to read everything: The Sisters Grimm, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Enchanted Forest Chronicles.
For those who like Fantasy: Again any of the aforementioned in the last section as well as Fairest, Ella Enchanted, and Ever by Gail Carson Levine. The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, Harry Potter, The Eragon Books and last but not least The Princess Bride

Last edited by Missy Rin; 08-25-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Raishin
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 PM

The Lovely Bones is an amazing book. It's very deep and thoughtful, and there's going to be a movie released of it within the next six months! There's mature content in it starting from the beginning, but it is very thought-provoking and even symbolic at times.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM

I haven't got any more books to read next!
I was looking in a bookstore today and it's hard to tell if one book will be beter than another. I noticed that quite a few of them don't give enough information for me to tell if I will like it or not.
I'm looking for teenage fiction. Preferably fantasy or something different and interesting. I don't want a book that is too young, like young teen books, I would rather it was based at my age (fifteen) and/or above.
I hoped that the readers of Menewsha could recommend books that they have read, or seen that they liked or were interested in.
I don't mind if it is a series of books or quite a large book. (I would like a bigger book more in fact.)
Any recommendations please? :D

Readera
*^_^*

Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 PM

The books by John Green are really good. They are a bit a like so I would space them out but they are teen books. They aren't fantasy but are geeky and interesting. They are: An abundence of Katherines, Looking for Alaska, and Paper Towns.

Some good fantasy books are the Pendragon seires and the MAximum Ride seireis.

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM

I'm not really sure what 'age' Terry Pratchett writes for specifically, but it is a little more light hearted than most books for the older crowd is. I thought his Going Postal was an absolute riot. =D

Sexy Blue Candy
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Sexy Blue Candy Send a message via Yahoo to Sexy Blue Candy

Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 PM

I personally suggest The Vampire Academy series... the newest book just came out... I cant remember the author though. The longest book is the last one, but you have to read the first three first. hahahaha
Another good series is Wicked, it's a book with 2 in it, then the second is Spellbound and the third is Wicked: Resurrection. It's a great series.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 08-27-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks Readera and Nolori, I'll check them out on the internet.