p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 PM

Hey! Do you guys have anything that you try hard to do often to get/stay healthy? Do you have a certain food that you may force yourself to eat more of? Maybe you have a trick up your sleeve that cheats you into being a little healthier. Share with us your daily health routine!

Me? Ah, of course you're probably wondering. I should have planned for that. I don't exactly have a routine of any kind, though I'd like to get on one. I used to run every day, then it got really hot before I even woke up in the day, lo. Now I stay inside and hiss at the sun.

I do eat as healthy as my budget allows though. I buy mostly perishable foods, organic, meats that are free range and not filled with antibiotics and overly processed, drink lots of water and organic juices filled with vitamins and such. I cook my meals rather than eating out at all. I just wish I still had it in me to exercise more. I chase a three year old all over the place. Does that count? Lol I wear ankle weights around the house when I remember they exist, so, not enough.

I don't know. We go on walks, but not like regularly. I get on random exercise kicks where I'll exercise every day for a week, really well, and then I won't do it again for like a month. Lol can't they create a machine that exercises me for me!?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM

For me, my "trick" is asparagus. I cut some up, throw it in a bowl with a bit of water, margarine, parmesan and seasonings, then cover it and microwave it for about 6 minutes. It fills me up, has a lot of vitamins and such, and has crazy low calories. If I'm starting to feel like I've been eating poorly and might put on a few pounds, I just have that for a meal for a few days and I'm back on track. Not that I don't normally eat it - it's so good.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Mmmm, I love asparagus. It's one of my favorite side dishes. I put them in a skillet, whole, drizzle olive oil on them, season them with some sea salt and pepper and whatever other seasoning I'm in the mood for, usually a curry mix, and saute them until they're soft, but not too soft. Omg, I could eat them for every meal every day, lol.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Oooh, that sounds good! I've never tried them like that. I have a curry powder, though, so maybe I should! Be sure to try them with parmesan sometime, it's heavenly.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 PM

I bought some at the store just today. I think I'll try it tonight! :D

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 12:16 AM

I actually have a rather peculiar thing I do when I make pizza. I put olive oil on it instead of tomato paste. I have read that olive oil is rather good for you so I do that from now on and hope to make it even healthier pizza as I learn new things.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:53 AM

I drink a lot of tea and coffee. Tea is calorie free if you add nothing to it, and coffee is 10 calories a cup if you add nothing to it. I am not a huge fan of water so I need to have these low calorie drinks or else I drink all of my daily calories in soda. >.>

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 AM

i drink two large glasses of water before i eat
like twenty minutes before
it really helps eat less

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 AM

I've heard many times that a huge dietary problem in the modern era is that people have begun mistaking the thirst drive to be the hunger drive. So really, when what your body wants is water you think it wants food and thus eat instead of drinking water. I think they're probably right on that, so drinking water before you eat is definitely a great way to avoid overeating.

I'd love to know why this mistake has become so common, though.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 AM

i was told that if you are thirsty that you are already dehydrated
and i try to never feel thirsty

i wonder why that is, too.

GwenaHikari
사랑해요

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 03:24 AM

I have absolutely no health routine lol I do try to eat healthier though - which entails forcing myself to eat more veggies and fruits (I'm a recovering picky eater xD) ways I do that include: drinking V8 (yeah I know not as good as juicing it myself buy I don't have a juicer and need a better blender), kale chips, hummus (beans are still a healthy food), making my own chicken broth & chicken soup and sticking veggies in it, I'm collecting smoothing recipes, recipes that utilize beans, I eat raisins as a snack, tuna fish, lots of water and juice, gave up soda (pretty much), finding as pure of recipes as possible (fruits, veggies, etc are the main component), etc Try to up my exercising even if its just 15 minutes on wii fit.....I'm starting small picky eaters who don't like to exercise have a lot of hurdles to get over

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 AM

I've just started drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning when I wake up. Apparently it helps kick start all of your organs and is really good for your body. It's a lot harder than it sounds, for me anyway, lol. I can't usually eat or drink anything when I first wake up. I can be hungry when I go to bed, and when I wake up, I can't eat. It takes about an hour to get to where I can eat or drink. It's weird. So yeah, watuh is ma new thang.

GwenaHikari
사랑해요

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 AM

I'm usually hungry or thirsty when I get up but rarely bother till like an hour or so later lol I've heard water with lemon is really good for you first thing in the morning - So I try to do that when I remember, but I often forget. I'm not good at sticking to things especially healthy things.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 AM

I'm the same way. I did the lemon thing actually. For like a whole week. *shrugs* A week is about how long things catch on for here, and then one day we realize, hey remember that lemon and water thing we were doing like three months ago, what happened to that? lol

GwenaHikari
사랑해요

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 AM

Yeah, I'm good for a few week maybe a month and that its like.."oh yeah..I'm supposed to exercise everyday whoops" lol Back in April I was exercising every day for 15-30 minutes and now I'm couch-ercising (which is a fancy made up way of saying, I sit on the couch infront of my laptop xD) lol I find charts/checklists helpful...for awhile till I start forgetting to look at it or check the stuff off xD

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 AM

I'm totally a list person. Lists alllwaayyss get sh*t done here, lol. I just need a list with a reminder to write a list sometimes. Besides, I put waayy too much on my lists and overwhelm myself, lol.

GwenaHikari
사랑해요

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 AM

I love lists too! I have wishlists millions of feet long grocery lists, to do lists, I have important things like exercise on my outlook calender (the webmail since it took over hotmail) and have it set to send me a reminder e-mail..but I've started ignoring them and filing them away...lol But I do get reminded I just don't always take the reminders of on their offer lol Yeah I used to do a daily schedule so detailed I felt deprived....I kept thinking of things I wanted to do but I felt I couldn't cause I "planned" to do something else....drove me nuts so I just go for the important things now like exercise, places I have to go etc and ad lib from there.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 02:55 AM

i'm a list maker too
remembering to take them is another story, though