Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 05-03-2014, 03:08 AM

Andrew opened his mouth, but couldn't quite speak until he shook his head. "No. Not really Godless. You have a little in you at least." After all, why would he save Andrew and White Tide if he had no goodness in him? He had risked his life---or at least his freedom---to get Andrew out of that cell and get Tide out of that barn she'd been kept in. He watched Tide raise her head, then wander toward where the black horse was. Night, Joey had called him.

He looked around quickly then lowered his gaze. His long lashes rested against his cheeks when he closed his eyes. "Sorry about your partner. Whatever happened... I can tell..." He blinked and looked up. "... I can tell you were close. Really close." He shook himself and with a little effort, slid off the rock and into the water, which reached his waist here. It soaked his pants immediately, but the fabric was so thin and worn they'd dry within minutes. Leaning down, Andrew cleaned the dirt, sweat, and grime from his skin without dampening the bandages along his back. He gasped. "Oh, I never said thanks for... well... Everything, I guess. So... so thanks for everything." He looked up to Joey. Had he been thanked for anything recently? He didn't seem to travel with anyone nowadays.

NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 05-03-2014, 03:19 AM

Joey smiled slightly at what Andrew said, lowering his head when Jake was mentioned. Was it that obvious he was pining for the loss of a good friend, a lover? It had only been a few months, since he last sat with Jake, laughing, joking, kissing... He shuddered slightly, quickly blinking the tears that had formed in his eyes. "Don't mention it. I just... Well... You reminded me of him, you know? Like... A red-skinned version of Jake. I couldn't leave ya to die once I saw your horse. It was obviously a native's horse, so I knew you were innocent."

And Joey hated innocent people being killed and punished, especially when they were this young. He watched as the white horse, White Tide Andrew had called her, approached Night and the carefully sniffed each other. It was strange seeing his horse warm up to another so quickly, but then again, Night had never met a female horse before. He turned his attention to Andrew, who was washing himself in the spring. Joey wanted to join in, but thought it might be taken the wrong way if he were to strip and dive into the water next to the younger man. "I'll change them bandages at night. You need to keep hydrated. If your belly isn't aching, you should eat some more meat."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:35 AM

Andrew looked up quickly. He reminded Joey of the guy? How painful was that? Was that the main reason he had decided to save Andrew? He tried not to seem entirely deflated, but he'd almost hoped the near stranger had decided to do so mainly, specifically, entirely because it was an injustice. He was reading too much into it, though; Andrew looked down and cupped his hands, bringing them to his lips to drink. He did still feel... weak. Of course he hadn't had much water in the past eight days.

"I've eaten too much meat..." He sighed, crawling out of the water and lying on his side on the grass. "That's all I was able to have for almost nine days. I just need something... else. I mean, anything..." He levered himself up, crawling to the bush that had bloomed so full of black berries, and carefully sat down, picking handfuls and crunching through their seeds, pulling a face at the tart bite they had. He loved that unpredictable nature fruits and vegetables had. Some were sweet, some were sour, some had that perfect balance. "And, um, I don't want to take anything else you have." He already felt awful for costing the man this much time.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-03-2014, 03:50 AM

"It sounds like I might have to make the trip into town a lot sooner than planned," Joey said, rubbing his chin. He could feel some stubble already growing there and made a note to visit the barber as soon as he could. "Get you some more grub." Yes, that was the plan for the day. He got up from where he sat, going towards where Night stood next to White Tide. "You stay here and I will make a quick trip to the grocers in Darkwater. If any trouble happens while I am gone, I want you to hop onto your horse and run for it."

He climbed onto Night's saddle and took the lead in hand. He smiled down at the younger man and tilted his hat slightly. "I shouldn't be more than a few hours. You stay safe, you hear?" He dug his feet into Night's side, turning him around towards where the town of Darkwater could be seen in the far distance. He raced off as fast as Night would let him go, entering the town after only ten minutes. He slowed the speed of Night a little, leading the horse towards where he knew the grocers was. He jumped off the horse and tied him up out front, next to a young brown horse that was already tied there.

He entered the store, grabbing a basket at the door and heading towards where fresh vegetables were kept. They were grown in Darkwater, just near where the river bent and headed out to sea. He picked out some carrots and potatoes, as well as a couple of oranges and apples before heading towards the counter. The woman behind the counter smiled when he approached and counted how much money it costed, ringing him up on the register. "I'll have a bottle of whiskey too, ma'am," he said, pointing to where they kept their tobacco and alcohol. She nodded and took the bottle down from the shelf, adding it to the brown paper bags where she had also put his fruit and vegetables.

He paid for the goods and left the store, packing them carefully into Night's saddlebags before untying him and climbing up. He left the town and went quickly back towards where the oasis was, hoping Andrew was ok.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:08 AM

Andrew looked down to the grass underneath him, nodding in response. He wouldn't hesitate to run---it was what he and Tide were best at, after all. As Night's hoofbeats grew distant, Andrew felt a chill settle over his damp skin and shuddered. He was used to being alone, but the silence that fell for a few minutes after being left was still uncomfortable. He swallowed, sitting up and getting onto his knees, crawling back to the water and dunking his head in, swallowing a few mouthfuls and sitting back on his heels to pull his hair back. Maybe he should have asked for some twine or a little leather before Joey had gone... He looked down at his pants, sitting back and tearing some of the frayed ends off and tying them together. He gathered up his hair, tying it securely at the base of his neck and shaking his head. That was good, at least it was something.

He looked at Tide, who seemed a bit uneasy. It immediately put Andrew on edge and he stood. "White... What's wrong?" He knew she couldn't answer but it put him on steady ground to talk to her. He always had. "What's wrong, girl?" He could hear something moving, and immediately swooped down to grab a rock from the ground. It was sharp and flat, and could be used as a makeshift knife. The shifting was coming from the grass, and he looked carefully. It was small, but long. A snake. A rattlesnake, he realized as soon as he heard the shaking. He backed away and it seemed to follow, coiling up at the edge of the grass and getting into striking pose. White Tide whinnied, backing away toward the tree she had been under.

He breathed out. White would run, but she would come back within a minute. She'd had close calls before. He reached out, toward the snake, snatching his hand back when it lunged and grabbing its wriggling tail, slinging the snake into the hard ground and grabbing its head, stepping on its squirming tail as it flailed and slamming the sharpest edge of the rock on its neck. It twitched hard, and he brought it down again, severing its head entirely. Andrew gasped, watching blood pump out of the body and the head's jaws work a few times before the muscles stopped spasming. Breathing in shakily, he threw the head far away from the water and grabbed the body. It was a source of meat, and fresh at that. It was just hard to get all the bones out. Smiling to himself, Andrew looked up to see a black horse returning. Joey would probably be glad to see he wasn't entirely useless.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 AM

Joey slowed Night down as he approached the oasis, sensing something was wrong. He jumped off the back of Night, his hand on his gun as he went over to where Andrew was calming White Tide. He cast a worried gaze about the scene, his hand relaxing once he saw the decapitated rattlesnake. Impressed, he smiled at Andrew. "Killing them serpents? I'm impressed." For some reason he thought the native was far to delicate to even know what to do when a snake threatened him. "That's good meat for our soup."

He went over to Night and pulled the brown paper bags out of the saddle bags, bringing them over to their makeshift camp. He pulled out an apple and tossed it towards Andrew. "I bought a few fruits and vegetables for you, kid." He hesitated, glancing over at Andrew. "Er... I won't call you that if ya don't like it."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:31 AM

Andrew smiled a little at the compliment. It was all he had ever lived for when he was younger---pleasing others, getting that 'good job' or 'nice work' out of someone. And he'd gotten what he was always so after. Leaving White's side, as she had calmed now that the air was without suspicion or danger. When something was tossed his way, he scrambled for it and caught it out of the air. An apple. Beautiful fruit. He hadn't seen it in so long. Hesitating slightly, Andrew brought the green-skinned orb to his nose and breathed deeply, loving the scent before biting through it. "Oh I don't mind..." Andrew said after a moment, swallowing the mouthful of sweet apple flesh. "It's... Well, better than some things I'm called." He winced at the memories and shook his head, bending down to pick up the snake. "Um... If you have a knife, I can separate the meat from the bones really easily. It's... it can be hard for people... because snakes are all spine and ribs..." And those ribs tended to break into little shards. And he simply wanted to be useful.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 AM

Joey was further impressed. It must have been Andrew's native blood, which had taught him how to kill and prepare any animal on God's green Earth. He knew how to skin and de-bone a snake, as they were the easiest thing to catch in the outback without wasting bullets, but if Andrew wanted to be useful, he wouldn't deny the young man the opportunity. "Sure thing. I might take a dip. Feeling mighty dirty." And it was best he did so a few hours before they needed the water to drink and cook with.

He walked around the tree and slowly undressed, trying not to think about the last time he had done so. It had been with his pretty boy, of course. His mind lingered on the memory of Jake's fingers sliding over his skin, and how good it had felt to be loved. He blinked away tears and used his coat to cover his nakedness while he walked towards the spring. Even though they were both men, he had a feeling Andrew would get awkward around seeing his naked body. He dived into the water after leaving the coat on the shore, loving how cool it felt to be under the fresh water. The spring was deep in places, and he loved to dive as deep as he could go without losing air in his lungs.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 AM

Andrew took a blade from where Night was, testing the knife's edge and smiling a little. Just a quick few slices and swift pull and the skin and scales would be off. He settled himself down, biting his apple between his teeth while he worked and glancing up at Joey as he opted to disappear behind the tree to disrobe. Andrew paused a moment, trying but not admitting to himself that he was trying to catch a glance, then blushing brightly. He was glad his skin hid that little fact when Joey returned into full view, covered in his coat. But the time between lying it down and jumping into the water gave Andrew all he needed to see. He worked studiously, though his hands were shaking a little now that his mind was wandering. He'd never admitted any preference to woman or man, but knew where he leaned toward. He didn't want to say it though. For all he knew, Joey's late partner was just a very good friend. If he said anything... maybe Joey would leave him.

He paused to set his apple aside, half-eaten, and finish flaying the flesh from the spine of the snake in his hand, slowly, surely peeling it away, using the curved edge of the blade to slip between bone and flesh. He didn't look toward where Joey was when he surfaced---it would give him away, there was no doubt about that. Andrew wore his heart on his sleeve and couldn't put on a solid poker face to save his life.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Joey took down his hair and washed it as well, sighing at how good it felt to be clean. It was such a rare thing to be able to wash oneself in the desert, seeing water was precious and hard to come by. He was just pleased that the spring seemed to cycle fresh water, through vents deep below the surface. He wondered where the water came from, probably from deep underground. The thought gave him chills and he looked over to where Andrew quietly worked on preparing the snake. Was it just him, or was the young man trying his best to avoid looking at him?

"Everything alright there?" Joey asked, coming out of the spring and lying on the hot rocks next to it. He felt a little awkward sunning himself naked, but it was the only way to get dry. "Excuse my birthday suit," he added, hoping he wasn't offending the native.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 PM

Andrew cut two inches off the end of the snake, its rattle, which he shook a little. He smiled slightly at the shifting that didn't sound like the snake's original shake, but that was because humans couldn't quite do it right. Loose scales shifting against one another made that sound, he knew, and when they vibrated hard and fast enough, they made a noticeable warning sound. Strange how wild animals were automatically afraid of anything bigger than them. Even Andrew, who didn't---couldn't---normally hurt anything. He glanced up and quickly looked down again. "Uh, yeah, fine!" He called back, sliding the knife along the last section of rib. Then he glanced up, barely looking toward Joey as he laid out under the sun.

Wow... Andrew didn't dare say anything aloud. He was worried he might be staring, but it was hard not to. He had never had the chance to study such a perfect body, and so close, before. He shook himself, breathing in carefully to get some control of his body. "Uhh... Ay---I mean, I got all the bones out..." He separated the final few tendons from the ribs and held the spine up. It was perfectly intact, and he smiled a little at his work. Hopefully Joey was as pleased with it as he was.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 PM

"That's good. You might come in handy more than I thought," Joey chuckled, resting his head in his arms and staring up at the sun. He closed his eyes to its brightness, enjoying how the warmth tickled his wet skin. He thought about Jake and then shook himself. Don't think about him now, damn it. He'd be on full display to the younger Andrew, and he might get scared or feel awkward. "We can have it with some carrots and potatoes."

He rolled over and regarded Andrew with his good eye. The young man seemed to be trying not to stare. Joey wondered if he was into men, but didn't know how to ask without getting offensive. "Ya can look if you want," he said with a lop-sided grin. "We are both men here. I ain't got nothing you don't have." Except perhaps the various scars on his body and the tattoo on his back.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:08 AM

Andrew nodded shakily, but didn't quite bring himself to look up fully. Instead he did what a misbehaving child did when their parents were searching for a broken dish or dirty clothes they said they'd washed---he took quick, side glances just to sate his overflowing curiosity, each lingering just a bit longer until he had to move. So he jumped up, regretting the sudden movement and hissing in pain as the open wounds on his back stretched and possibly opened, then set the snake meat on a relatively clean stone next to him. He could wash it, and the vegetables, in the water since it circulated the way it did. When he stood upright, Andrew looked at Joey. He felt his face heat and his body tingle, and to hide the reaction started gathering dry sticks and pulling bits of wood from the dead tree remains near the thriving one.

He bent stiffly at the waist to gather everything on the ground, tossing them into a pile to be burned. He didn't need flints or matches to light a fire---he'd learned when he was younger. Hopefully Joey would most definitely want to keep him around since he could be so useful. He'd learned things from his mother. "Um..." He glanced toward Joey, then busied himself with searching for the potatoes and carrots Joey had mentioned. "Um, I can... I can be pretty useful... I can ride for a long time... And sew clothes... And cook." He shrugged. It didn't make him sound very strong, but maybe it worked for Joey.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 AM

Joey couldn't be imagining it. Andrew was trying not to stare at his naked body. Only one type of person does that, and the thought excited him. If Andrew wanted, Joey wouldn't mind sharing some love with him. It got lonely in the desert and his hand just wasn't satisfying him any more. He stood up, stretching. He made a show of it, grinning whenever Andrew looked his way. "Sounds like you think I don't want ya around," he said, walking up to where the native was preparing the meal. "I need a partner, you know? Been too damn long on my lonesome."

He walked past Andrew, stroking the top of his head as he did so. He went behind the tree to find his clothes. He pulled on most of them, but kept his shirt off to help him cool off. "Ya need help with anything?"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Andrew couldn't keep his eyes away from Joey. He had so little control over himself that he kept biting the inside of his cheek to put his mind on that pain and nothing else. Especially what he was trying to keep squashed down. He didn't need to read the signs wrong, didn't need to be slapped around and called every vulgar name in the book, then left abandoned with White because he read signs wrong yet again. If anything Joey was just trying to test him. He caught himself before he looked up when Joey approached and shrugged. "I guess... call me cautious..." He muttered, forming a little nest of kindling and piling thicker wood on top in a bowl-shape.

When he was left alone for a moment, Andrew puffed out a long breath and closed his eyes. "God... get ahold of yourself... he's not... no. No. God, no." Shaking his head, Andrew sat back on his legs and picked up a sturdy stick, preparing to start friction on another and get a small fire going, but stopping with a loud hiss of pain. "Aah..." He sat up and put a hand to his back, testing the flesh covered in wrappings. "Um... C-could you... start a fire? I can't... I'll do this instead." He scrambled up, gathering the meat and vegetables in a bowl and settling them at the water's edge to wash and cut up.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 12:37 AM

Joey nodded, picking up the sticks and easily starting a fire. He had a tinderbox, but he always enjoyed starting fires like the natives did. He cast a concerned look at Andrew. "You alright? Them wounds still hurting ya?" He smiled slightly as he stood and walked closer to the young man. "Please let me take a looksie." He lifted up part of the bandages and winced at the blood and angry red skin. "Looks like an infection."

He suddenly felt mad. Angry at the sonsofbitches that had done this to him. "No more. I'll do the rest. You go lie down. I got a bedroll tied to Night you can have. Lie on your stomach and I can treat them wounds. Don't want you to get sick." He stared hard at Andrew, daring the native to argue. "I ain't joking, boy. You listen to me now or I will leave you here with your horse."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 AM

Andrew tensed when Joey approached, fighting back the flight response he had instilled in his head when someone was behind him. Joey wasn't someone to fear. Or go against. He didn't want to do either. But he didn't want to feel like nothing but a burden. He flinched at Joey's hard tone and bit his lip, backing up and closing his eyes to avoid showing the shocked tears that almost fell. What scared him more than infection was the idea of being left alone by the only human he had wanted to trust in recent years.

Pulling the bedroll from Night's back, Andrew gritted his teeth to avoid making a new wave of nauseating pain obvious. But his stiff movements had to be a bright light in a dark cave, so evident one didn't even have to look directly at it to see. He dragged it to where White stood, unrolling it and curling up, exposing his back to the air and groaning when the skin stretched. Useless, of course. Just like he was afraid of being.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 02:47 AM

Joey finished cleaning the vegetables and placed them in the pot of water, setting the pot aside for when the fire was properly warmed up. He turned his attention to Andrew, who had followed his instructions straight away, seeming a little upset. He felt a pang of guilt in his heart. He hoped he hadn't seemed too mean. Sighing, he undid the bandages slowly to take a proper look at them. "Too much activity. You've opened a few of them back up. Look, I don't mean to sound mean, I care about you is all. I know you want to help, but you aren't in any state to do so right now."

He found his first aid kit again. "I know this'll hurt, but I'll have to stitch up this one right here. Is mighty deep and I don't want you to loose too much blood. You'll let me do this? I don't want to hurt you, but I also don't want to lose the first friend I've had in months." He pulled out a small needle and some thread, which he often used to sew wounds together. "Andrew, I know I ain't the most moral man in the West, but I need you to trust me. I won't let nothing happen to you while you are in my sights."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:01 AM

Andrew felt White's presence and was reassured. When she decided to lie down alongside him, he felt even better. She was an angel, and he wondered why he didn't name her that instead. When Joey finally came by, he turned his head and shifted a little so he could have access, but his muscles tensed immediately when Joey's hand strayed too far south. Clenching his teeth, Andrew willed himself to relax a bit. Having some opened sounded logical---he had moved a lot, especially when he had had to dodge that snake's strike. That had probably opened up a few wounds. He gasped at Joey's observations.

"Oh... God... I... I d-don't..." He swallowed the sick feeling. "You'll... take care of that... that infected one too...? I'll lie still, just... get it done before I lose my nerve..." He barely had any 'nerve', but he didn't want to draw out that stitching process. And there was no way he'd be able to ignore the pain of a needle and thread forcing their way through his skin.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 03:18 AM

Joey nodded and started stitching the skin together, trying to do it as fast as possible so Andrew wouldn't hurt too much. He felt really bad that he was hurting the young man, and hated to hear the sobs of pain escaping his lips. Once he was done, he pour alcohol over the wounds and found an antiseptic cream Jake had given him once. He smeared this onto the inflamed cut and bandaged Andrew back up. He wondered why the man flinched every time he was touched. He made a note to ask him later, for now he had to get dinner on.

"You did good, Andy. Very brave." He nodded as he stood. "It'll hurt for a little while. I don't want you to move your back too much while it heals, else I'll have to stitch you up again." He put away everything in the first aid kit and brought out the bottle of whiskey he had purchased. "Want a little something ta drink?" He offered the bottle to Andrew. "Takes the edge off the pain."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:36 AM

Instead of his fist, Andrew bit down as hard as he could on the top of the bedroll. His eyes streamed with every shift of the needle through his injured skin, his cries muffled. His hands buried in his hair and clenched hard to stop himself from swatting Joey away and end it too soon, when his work wasn't finished. He felt sick, but kept swallowing the feeling until Joey was finished and moving away from him, and he was able to force himself to carefully sit up. It was hard to do, but necessary, and when he was in a slightly more comfortable position Andrew patted White as she nudged against his shoulder.

He blinked and looked at the bottle of amber liquid offered to him, faltering for a moment with his hand at his hair to pull the scrap of cloth out. "Um... I-I don't..." Pausing, Andrew bit his lip and took it. He'd never drank alcohol before, so he took it slow, tipping the bottle back and keeping his back straight as he did. When the liquid hit his tongue Andrew gasped, and the alcohol burned painfully, sending him into a coughing fit.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 03:45 AM

Joey couldn't help but to chuckle at the young man's reaction to the hard liquor. He took the bottle and took a large mouthful before standing up and going towards the fire. He put the pot on top of the flames, and the snake was wrapped around a stick and put over the fire as well. "I can water it down for ya," he called, seeing that Andrew still had a sour look on his face. Joey grinned and hoped he didn't seem to be laughing at the native. "It's a bit strong, isn't it? You get used to the taste, though."

Joey kicked the fire slightly, moving some of the wood about so it burned better. He looked up at the sky and was surprised to see the sun was already setting. It had been a long day and Joey suddenly felt tired. "Move on over closer to the fire, don't want ya to get cold."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 AM

How did Joey stand that taste? Andrew felt like scooping up a mouthful of dirt just to get it out. Maybe it was an acquired taste, but there was no way he'd be able to handle it. Or if so, he wasn't sure water would help it. He shook his head, creeping a bit closer and pulling the bedroll with him, keeping his back as straight as he could. It'd be hard to ride---the gait of the horse would jar his back, but it wouldn't be impossible. "I t-think I'll just ride out the pain..." He muttered, sitting closer to the fire as Joey ordered. He raised his head, trying to gather his hair but finding the movement of his arms too much stretch on his back. So he sighed and let it hang loose. At least it was clean and combed now. Those men had loved his hair the most, apparently.

Andrew looked up. It seemed a bit safe to look longer at Joey now. He couldn't help it---the guy was... like one of those Greek or Roman gods he'd read about. And with hair like a native. Like Andrew's. He didn't realize he was smiling like an idiot.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 04:05 AM

Joey noticed the smile and felt happy. Andrew was happy. That was good. Joey was afraid he had been too much of a hardass. He reached up and scratched his hair as he turned the stick around carefully. "Gonna have a feast tonight. I've been living off jerky mostly." He was looking forward to the fresh meat and vegetables, and he was certain Andrew was as well. "So... I've been meaning to ask ya... What did them bastards do to you?"

He looked over at Andrew, giving him a hard stare. He wondered if the native would want to talk about it at all. The only just met, after all.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 AM

Andrew blinked slightly, coming back to reality and registering what Joey had said. He swallowed, looking down and into the fire until he was sure he'd go blind, then stared up at the sky and the beginning night, the stars that were popping out quickly with each passing minute. "Um..." Andrew sighed, looking back across to Joey but finding it impossible to hold that hard stare. "They... well, you saw..." He thumbed backward, indicating his back. "Not much food. Water. Kept me inside. Told me I was a useless thief. Humiliated..." He bit his lip and breathed in hard, passing a hand through his hair. They had pulled so hard... Knotted it up, bit it sometimes. It hadn't even been the physical humiliation, but the verbal and emotional that had beaten him down most of all, made to be ordered the way he'd been, forced to stand and be... stared at. Used as some sick fantasy.

Last edited by Tachigami; 05-12-2014 at 04:14 AM..