Chen
The Commoner

Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 PM

Yotsuba&! is a manga by Kiyohiko Azuma who also created Azumanga Daioh. It's a comedy about a five year old girl named Yotsuba who is strange and doesn't understand a lot of basic everyday things in life, which makes for many funny situations to occur because her interpretation of things is unusual.

I just recently finished the fifth volume and while there is no continuing plot, it's been an enjoyable read so far.

Has anyone else read this manga? If so, what do you think of it?

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 AM

I actually started reading this one out of curiosity months ago and found it just as hilarious and cute as Azumanga Daioh. Might have to get back into reading it sometime. :)

Chen
The Commoner

Old 11-10-2012, 02:23 AM

I thought so too, it doesn't seem as popular as Azumanga Daioh but I actually like it better, they're both pretty good, but I think I like the formatting of the manga better in Yotsuba&! because it's not just in squares.

Lacrimosa
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 AM

Well Azumanga was a 4koma comic so of course the formatting is different. xD;
Anyway, I really enjoy this manga. I think I own the first 5 volumes or so? It's so cute and funny, it's really easy to read.

pachi
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 PM

love this manga. b:
all the work on the backgrounds is amazing too, holy crap.

Chen
The Commoner

Old 12-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachi View Post
love this manga. b:
all the work on the backgrounds is amazing too, holy crap.
I agree with you about the backgrounds!

pachi
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 AM

yay, more of the camping chapters are up.

wonder how long he spends on the backgrounds omg... _(:3

Fox Demon Areiku
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM

From what I've read thus far, Yotsuba is my favorite character. She's so childlike (which she should be as she's a young child) but, at the same time, she's more naive than a child her age should really be (not knowing what swings are, for instance). Another aspect of her, though, is that she also seems wise and mature for her age. I like the artwork. I like the depth and personality it gives to the characters. With Yotsuba, for instance, you really don't need the dialogue to understand her personality. I think it comes across spectacularly in the way she was drawn. I do enjoy this particular genre of manga. I think, in some respects, it's easy to relate to.

Yotsuba is a little off but the rest of the story makes me think I could be reading about the lives of the people in my own neighborhood. It's not so hard to imagine their day-to-day lives as the day-to-day lives of myself or my neighbors. I can actually picture Yotsuba in my mind as an anime.

The entire time I was reading it, the characters just felt so alive to me. I would really love to watch this one. I think Yotsuba might be from some alternate universe or other world (not necessarily an alien but, perhaps, a fairy creature or something like that). I've met several people that share some aspects of Yotsuba but not anyone that is completely like her.

scholar
yes, really

Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 PM

I adore this series. When I was living in Japan last year I was so thrilled to be able to buy the monthly manga magazine which runs the series. When I left Japan it was sadly on hiatus, and I haven't checked since then. (My, how time flies... eek!)