NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 PM

He nods taking the book and looks up at the woman sitting in the crows nest, the moon light seemed to cast its light just beyond her so she was completely mask in shadows. "Consider it done Captain." he said heading over to the mast that leads up to the crows nest.

Kyle stuffs the book into his back pocket and makes his way up to the crows nest. Even with the slight rocking the boat was steady enough that it only took him a few minutes to climb up to the top. "Madam!?" he called out as he neared the top, not wanting to startle her. "The Captain has asked me to give you a book." he says as he climbs up into the nest.

maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 PM

Terri had been sitting there slowly becoming bored when a voice called out. A moment later someone joined her. It was the new guy. She took the offered book in silence, glad that now she would have something to do. The moonlight would be bright enough in about half an hour for her to read easily. And they were far enough from port that her job up here was actually unneeded. "Hey thanks. I'm going to want this. Name's Terry. You are?" she offered her hand for a handshake.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 AM

He smile and shook her hand. "My name is Kyle Missus. Nice to meet you Miss Terry." Looking at her even in the dim light of the moon he could see her features enough to see that she's younger then his client had described. He looks out over the ocean. "You get quite a view up here even in the dark." he says looking back at her. "I'm sure all those fancy painters on shore would gladly pay a pretty price to take your place up here."

maidenroseheart

Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 AM

Terri raised an eyebrow and smiled graciously. You flatter me, I assure you. The view would be just as lovely whether I was here or not. And any painter could gain access to such a scene if they were willing to endure the hardship of a sea voyage. Thank you for the book. She wondered why he had chosen to come on board. Decided that was something she could ask the Captain later. He seemed nice enough. Definitely had some good manners. She was a bit impressed. You came just in abroad just in time for quite the party earlier. Did you enjoy yourself?

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 PM

"I'm sure the crew deserved the party but I came looking for work. I mean no disrespect." He says bowing his head slightly at her hoping he didn't just upset her. "Unless you need something more I will leave you to your book and your duties." He says backing up to the wall of the crows nest and waits to see if he's fulfilled his task here.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 AM

She knodded, and turned to look out over the ocean and the stars near the horizon. "Well then you came to the right place. Work away. Just remember, life isn't completely about work. Your supposed to find some purpose and joy in life too." She looked towards him wondering if he was in trouble and therefore desperate need of money, or just plain a workaholic. Either way, he would learn life on this ship was fair and stable. If he became a part of the crew, then they would treat him like family and help out if he needed it. If not, then he would be left in peace... unless he broke that peace. He didn't seem like the type to have a temper so that shouldn't be a problem.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM

He nods at her as he climbs over the wall of the crows nest. "I feel most alive when I'm out at sea doing what I know. Most may say I'm a workaholic but it makes me happy." He says smiling at her guessing what she might be thinking of him. "If you need anything further I'll be on deck patching the nets and filling the fish stock." He says and then starts down the mass back down to the deck.

Once he reaches the deck he makes his way down below deck and in two trips he carries up the nets, the fishing nets and the nets that need mending. He sets the fishing nets out and then sets up a barrel next to the railing and the cast fishing nets and begins mending the tattered nets.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 AM

She wondered about that. How he could find purpose and happiness simply by being at sea fishing. She shook her head and settled back in. She had been running for the last few years. Haunted by her mother's untimely death. Hiding behind her cousin, the Captain, from the suspicions of the danger her uncle represented. Her life was in turmoil. If not for his ship and crew, she wasn't sure she would have stayed sane. Yes, she liked to travel. Being a part of the life here was interesting sometimes, and always busy. However, she missed managing an estate and helping those in her care in the surrounding villages.

Hearing movement below, she glanced over the edge and saw two huge piles of nets. It appeared that Kyle had brought them up. The sound that had alerted her was him casting out the nets. She settled back and checked the horizon. Nothing in sight but stars. They weren't moving very fast for lack of wind. However they were moving. That was all that mattered. If her calculations were correct from the treasure map that existed within the jeweled painting, then their destination would lead her to her rightful inheritance. Unless her uncle tried to take that away too. She felt a stab of anger that they had no proof against him. It passed as quickly as it came. All was silent and peaceful. She opened her book and was soon caught up in the world of another.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Kyle busied himself putting on a good act in front of the Captain, the crew and Terry. But it was simple and easy work as far as he was concerned, he really did have knowledge about fishing and net mending. He found it was important to be able to feed himself regardless of where he was.

Knowing that it would be several hours before the nets in the water would need his attention again he only kept an eye on the line that keeps the nets tied to the boat. He knows that if the line gets to taught it'll mean that it either caught on something heavy or a bigger fish swam into it. Keeping his hands busy with the mending while wondering just how crafty Terry was and where she might of hid her stolen treasure. He randomly peeked at the Captain and up at Terry, making sure neither of them noticed him. He began coming up with a plan on what he would do next.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-17-2011, 02:59 PM

The moon was high in the sky. She awoke with a start and realized she had slept most of the night. The Captain probably had already gone to bed. She stretched and looked out over the ocean. Nothing in sight. That was probably a good thing. As a privateer they were required by law to attack any Spanish ships they came across. And that was just a waste of time. She stretched, picked up the book, and started climbing down. Might as well head to bed and get some good shut eye.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 PM

Leaning against the outer rail that lines either side of the deck. Kyle had finished mending the nets hours ago and had sat down against the railing to make himself more comfortable after the Captain retired to his room. He fell asleep while he was watching the crows nest.

He only woke now because there was the faint sound of footsteps making their way across the deck. He sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. Pecking up over a couple of crates that blocked him from whoever was walking on deck he quickly recognizes Terry. Moving to lay next to the crates he pecks his head out from behind one of the crates, shadows masking him. He watches her cross the deck.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 AM

She gracefully lifted the hatch and let the sea breeze fly before her, clearing and airing the entry way of any stale air. She was a fan of airing out the ship. The crew members tolerated it since they quietly appreciated it. She then climbed down and turned to her room. The Captain and herself were the only ones with rooms. The rest of the crew slept in hammocks further on in their quarters. Across from each other, he could better keep an eye on her. She didn't need it. She was handy with a sword and good with a pistol. She went inside and dropped into bed. A part of her wondered why she didn't keep the painting in her own room. She would prefer it. However, it was safely under the floorboards in the Captain's room. There was a rug over the spot, right where he got out of bed. Placed so it was above suspicion.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 AM

Once Terry finally went into her room Kyle stood and checked on the nets that were still dragging along the side of the ship. Even though he was here to find and take back a stolen painting he still had to live in the cover he made for himself, which means he has to completely play into the role of a fisherman. A couple of tugs on the line that lead down to the fishing net let him know that it didn't catch anything yet. He settled back down into the spot he woke up in and let himself slip into a light sleep.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-18-2011, 04:12 AM

The clang of a bell awoke Terri. She blinked and listened to the shuffle of boots on deck and out in the hallway as the crew changed shifts. She sighed and rolled over. Then reluctantly pushed herself out of bed. Getting ready for the day, she dressed in her pirate attire. They might be privateers, but she felt more confident in the clothes of a villain than in dresses. Making her way to the mess area, she joined the line for breakfast.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-18-2011, 04:28 AM

Wake at the first little scuffle of feet moving Kyle wiped the sleep from his eyes again and quickly got to his feet checking the line to the fishing net. They were just starting to gain some weight. He looked around the deck the skeleton crew that had held the main shifts were slowly dragging their tired bodies below deck for some food and then a well deserved rest.

He looked out towards the horizon it was just starting to lighten from the first rise of sun. Knowing that his hands would be filled with fish as soon as the sun started to warm the water and the fish started moving around more he quickly followed the crew below deck. Taking his turn in line he took his food and headed back up to the fishing nets. He past Terri on his way back up. He smiled and gave her a slight nod as he past her.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 AM

She knodded back and finished her plate of food. Putting it in the bin with the other dirty plates, she headed to the captain's room to report. Knocking and then entering when she heard the invitation, she stepped into his room. I met the new fellow last night. Decent sort of fellow. Where did he come from? She sat at his desk and looked to wear he stood in front of his floor length mirror fixing his cravat.

He told me he was between jobs and in need of work. Man's gotta stay alive somehow. What is your opinion of him? The Captain looked in the mirror at Terri who was sitting there alertly.

He enjoys having something to do. I think there is a great deal of intelligence in that brain of his. It was in his eyes. However, he seems a nice guy and polite. I don't think he is interested in making friends with anyone. However in the same way he isn't looking for trouble. You suspicious of him?

The Captain sighed. Yeah I am. He said he had been recommended this ship at the bar. And I have no doubt any pub who knows us would do just that. However, I saw him come in on a small boat. He never left the docks. He probably just wanted a reference for work so I doubt it is a big deal. He smiled at Terri and winked. Don't let him steal your heart cousin.

She laughed at that. No worries about that. He knodded and looked back at his reflection as he finished straightening his jacket. Or his ship was picked for another reason. Time would tell and he would stay on his guard. Turning, he led the way out of the room and up the ladder onto the deck.

Following, Terri wondered at the expression she had seen fleetingly on the Captain's face. She hadn't recognized it before it disappeared and it made her wonder what he was not telling her. She shrugged it off and walked along the deck to the stairs up to the upper deck. From there she listened with her hands clasped behind her as he was briefed by the navigator. She waited for him to finish. Then it would be her turn to call order on deck and announce the day's plans to the crew. Such was the duties of the 2nd mate.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Finishing his breakfast he throw what little scraps he had overboard and wiped his hands clean on his pants. He tested the rope that held the nets and quickly determined were filled enough. The nets weren't packed full but considering he was handling the nets alone he knew letting the net get to full he wouldn't be able to pull it up himself without help. He didn't want to make a fool of himself so he braised himself against the railing and started pulling the net up. He managed to pull the net on board and started to empty it as the Captain and Terri came on deck.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 PM

With a knod from the Captain, they lined up at the railing. The navigator and some of the officers joined them. Standing at ease, with hand behind their backs, they waited for the Terri to start. She reached and pulled a whistle out and blew it. Immediately everyone below on the main deck and up on the ropes stopped what they were doing. Those on deck came forward while those on the rope just sat and waited. Today we will be making our way north along England's east coast. Over the next week we will circle over and come to port on the other side. We have several jobs that need undertaking through the day. The waves are not very high today, so several of you youngsters can lower yourself on swings down the sides of the ship to scrape off barnacles and fill in worm holes with pitch. I need several to tend the pitch fire. Make sure that the pitch is ready when needed without burning our ship into an early grave. There are sails that need mending, ropes that need to be double checked, and hopefully fish that need to be cleaned. I expect volunteers to help with these but if during inspection there are hands lacking, then there will be a draft... war or not.

The Captain then spoke up. Thank you gentlemen for your hard work thus far. Keep it up. The party last night was short but we are on a tight schedule at the moment. Trust me when I say it is of the most delicate nature. Those who are up in the crows nest will need to be on alert. We will have two up there instead of one until we reach port again. If any Spanish are sighted, contrary to our usual routine we are going out of our way to avoid them. Our destination is more important. We will share more details towards the end of the week when we are closer to port. With that he stepped away and the mornings work began.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 AM

Kyle dropped what he was doing and fell in line as he watched the rest of the crew gather to listen to Terri and the Captain. When the daily orders were finished he returned to the partially filled fish net and quickly jumped into cleaning and gutting the fish as he dumped them into the waiting barrel which had a layer of salt that lined the bottom. After a layer of fish he covered them with more salt from another barrel that was filled with salt. Once the fish were well covered he started on another layer of fish.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 AM

Terri got together some of the sailors and formed a cleaning party for the lower deck. Gathering together buckets of water, lime, and brushes they headed down to the lower deck. Supervising the men and making sure they had plenty of clean buckets of water, she spent a few hours helping clean ship. Occasionally a sailor or two would come ask questions of her regarding the cleaning tasks outside of the ship. She always was able to give solid advice or refer them to one of the crew who would know the best answer. The Captain stayed at the wheel with the navigator, talking quietly and occasionally checking up on the crew. He was particularly pleased with his newest crew member. Kyle was doing a fine job getting fish stored for later. It would be well appreciated in the future. As lunch neared, he sent one of the sailors to ask Kyle if he would send some freshly gutted fish down to the cook for baking. Might as well enjoy a good meal too.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Kyle was busy capping off his third barrel when another member of the crew came up to him. He nodded at the request and unsealed the last barrel he had just closed. Guessing on how many fish would be needed he brushed off the thick layer of salt and managed to cradle a dozen fish and laid the lid back on the barrel before heading down to the.

He made his way down to the galley and told the cook the request for lunch. The cook nodded and Kyle went back above deck. He returned to his spot by the fishing nets. Making sure the barrels were securely sealed one by one he loaded them below and added them to the food stock.

When he was done he returned to the fishing nets again and cast them out again. He then got to work cleaning up the mess be made on the floor from cleaning and gutting the fish.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-23-2011, 06:39 AM

Terri had finished helping with the scrubbing below deck and was leading the crew topside. Seeing Kyle cleaning up from working with the fish earlier, she turned and sent the men with buckets to go fill them. Then they walked over to join Kyle. One of the guys called out to him, "Hey mate, want a hand there?" Another knelt down with brush in hand next to the bucket he had just set down, "We will have this area cleaned up in no time." Terri knodded, "Working hard is all well and good, but this ship works as a team. You don't have to do things alone." She grinned and rolled up her sleeves in preparation for more cleaning.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2011, 01:23 AM

He looked at the couple of crewmen who joined him in cleaning. He watched as Terri joined in and wondered just what kind of pirates he was dealing with. In the past when he had to deal with pirates they were all self serving to the point that they would under mind their Captain to ensure that they would end up with the biggest portion of whatever prize they had just looted. "I'll try to remember that." he said and got back to work.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-24-2011, 05:31 AM

Terri watched him work hard. He was quite the character. He seemed like he had a worthwhile character but he was so aloof. Made it hard to pin down who he really was. She shrugged and helped clean up the fish mess. As they finished up, the bell for lunch started ringing. Rising, she directed the men as they began putting cleaning brushes and buckets away. Leaving them to it, she went to the rail at the side of the ship and glanced down at those working on the barnacles and worm holes on the side. You men want a breather? Lunch is ready. At their eager cheers and teasing, men topside raised up their swings and pulled them onto deck. Everyone was grinning and kidding the person next to them as sailors started jostling down to chow.

NightStalker
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Kyle helped the other crewmen clean up the brushes and buckets that they had been using to clean the floor and then followed them below deck for lunch. He looked around the room at the crew. They were all busy talking and joking with each other. He was sure that a ship this size with a crew this big would already have a fisherman on board. He wondered why he hadn't been paired up with them yet. Not that he was looking forward to working with anyone. Most of the fisherman who worked on ships like this smelled worse then their catches, spent their off time nursing a bottle of whiskey and made friends with the flies that clung to their filthy bodies. He didn't really want to have to get to close to that kind of fisherman.

Once he got his food he started to head back on deck but thought that it might be worth while to try to get to know some of the crew. He looked around and spotted an empty chair. He took it and nodded at the few crewmen he looked at him. None of them broke their conversation to say a word to him. He hung over his plate and ate in silence. It was only his second day he knew it would take time for the crew to warm up to him.