Karla
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-16-2007, 03:29 AM

I think some of his work is a bit hard to understand.
With all the words he made up and all.
XD
But I do enjoy reading his work.
:]
It's so dramatic.
XD

I really liked, A Mid Summer Night's Dream
Macbeth wasn't too bad.
Mhm...
Romeo & Juliet had a good plot.
Well, they all had pretty good plots. x3;
I think that's my favorite part about his work.
How he put the stories together.
They're brilliant and they're so interesting.
<3

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 PM

I love Shakespeare - it's so hard to find fellow Shakespeare lovers among my peers. My favourite play of his is Hamlet - I'm not really sure why - but I read it in 10th grade and fell in love with it. I've reread it three or four times. I love finding new things in it everytime I read it. Othello is another favourite of mine. Romeo and Juliet is overdone I think. It's a good play - but it has been performed and read a bit too much - and the plot is so cliched. I love it - I just can't read it very often.

Anyone ever watch Shakespeare Abridged? It's such a funny adaptation of all his plays. Makes me laugh everytime!

Bunnyy
Proud to be nekkid since '08.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 AM

• i probably like the merchant of venice or a midsummer's night dream the best =)

aquadicprincessqeen
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to aquadicprincessqeen

Old 02-02-2008, 10:40 AM

I HATE shackspear but we are currently reading romio and julet in school. it is soooo boring I just well it bugs me. I do not like romance and tragity are not my thing he just isn't a good authur to me thats all not that he is a bad authur no he could not be, but I just don't normaly read the type of syuff he wries.

Winter Wind
SORRY GUYS. D: I'm SUPERR busy a...
Send a message via AIM to Winter Wind Send a message via MSN to Winter Wind

Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Don't kill me, but I honestly dislike Shakespeare.

Maybe it's because of my limited old-English vocabulary, but I seriously NEVER understood it until I read the summaries on Sparknotes.

x___x;

I mean, Romeo and Juliet is extremely famous, yet I was bored to death when I finished reading it. o__O;;

Jenn_heart
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Jenn_heart

Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM

I LOVE shakespeare! But I certainly don't have a problem with those who don't love his works like I do.
My favorie plays are MacBeth and the Comedy or Errors(although I haven't read everything yet).
There's just one thing: I don't like Romeo and Juliet at all. It was too quick to even be called a romance.

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Shakespeare is evil! >> I get to look forward to reading a whole semester's worth of his work this year in English 4. Yay for me!

Shoot me please? : (

Fritz Fitzgerald
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 AM

I love Shakespeare and his work. All of his plays and such are brilliant. :3

Firousi
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 PM

I would probably like Shakespeare a lot better if I hadn't been forced to read so much of it in school....
I think I liked "Taming of the Shrew" best even though most of the plays on words that worked back then don't work so well today

Diktionary
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 AM

• I am doing a report about him in my English class actually. I believe he is a genious, he has a great and brilliant mind. My favorite works from him have to be A Midsummers Night Dream, and of course, the infamous Romeo and Juliet.
    The movie A Midsummers Night Dream is absolutly no comparison to the play, they did rather well, but still.

-Diktionary

Jeshikah
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Jeshikah

Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 AM

I loved reading Shakespeare XD but I never realized how DIRTY his works can be!I could never sit through Macbeth again thanks to my 11th grade English teacher... So... HORRIBLE!

My favorite would have to be Two Gentlemen of Verona <3 one of his best comedies.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Has anyone read King John?
Could you tell me what you thought? Ect. :3

moon waltz
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina Solo
Has anyone read King John?
Could you tell me what you thought? Ect. :3

I only got through one or two acts, but I found it kind of amusing. I particularly liked Philip the Bastard's occasional commentary on what all the important people were doing.

Suika
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 AM

-gigglesnort- Mercutioooo~

Anywho, now that that's out of the way, Shakespeare is LOVE. <3 I mean, my favorite part is definetly his ability to combine that low-class innuendo (cracks the pervy side of my up. xD) with high-class beautifuuuul language.

Yaaaay complete works of Shakespeare. -runs off to read it again-

xX Nightmare Angel Xx
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to xX Nightmare Angel Xx

Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 AM

Like a lot of people in here, I learned about his works in English class xD. I think he's a pretty interesting person, to write tragedies the way he does. His plays are actually really dark and depressing when I think about it >____<. But I suppose it's one of those things where that's what makes you like it so much (: .

Romeo And Juliet <3
Classic (; . When I was dating a guy, he told me I reminded him of Juliet. Which I, at the time, thought meant I was going to die and I freaked out xD. So I ended up reading the play to see what he was talking about and found out when I read it ;O. An odd reason to start reading Shakespeare, but I it sometimes takes the weird things to get me started. I ended up loving it, in the end.

I'm going to learn more about his plays later in the year. But we basically have only begun =[. I can't wait to learn more about him though (:

Mint Car
*^_^*

Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM

I read Shakespeare like most people read magazines honestly. Whenever I run out of things to read or am just sitting around doing nothing I tend to pick up my Shakespeare books open to random pages and start reading. I've read the complete works so it doesn't really matter where I start.
My favorite play would have to be A Midsummer Night's Dream followed by As You Like It. I love the way his works sound when you read them out loud which I think is really necessary. They are plays and were meant to be spoken not read so they always sound better when you hear them rather than just read them to yourself.

Usukie Ichihara
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM

the only thing I dislike about Shakespeare is how he words things. but I guess back then when he was still alive they made a lot more sense.

my favorite by him would have to be macbeth. only because I actually understand what's going on. and I'm tired of romeo and julet. it's to played out.

mmariep2
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to mmariep2 Send a message via MSN to mmariep2

Old 02-15-2008, 06:43 PM

Kind of cliched but I've always loved Romeo and Juliet. Macbeth is a good one also. As far as plays go.

I do enjoy his sonnets. I studied quite a bit of those during english classes in the past.

amyleto
*^_^*

Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 PM

I'm a big fan of Shakespeare as well. I'm going to have to break it down into types to list my favourites, though. My favourite type, overall, is comedy.

My favourite comedy is Much Ado About Nothing, though The Twelfth Night (Or What You Will) is in a very close second. They both have some classic memorable lines that get me excited every time I hear them.

My favourite tragedy is Hamlet. I know that's rather stereo-typical, but I find a lot of comedy in Hamlet. MacBeth, I'm not overly fond of: of course I haven't seen a good production of it, yet. I would likely change my opinion of it if I saw a better one.

I'm not overly fond of what I've heard of the Historical plays. I might end up changing my mind if I ever saw a good production of them, though.

Oh, and for the record: I hate Romeo and Juliet. I thought it was an uninteresting play, and it's way too over-done. I've seen at least 4 or 5 different productions of it, but I haven't liked any of them.

Cymos
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-16-2008, 02:08 AM

I am studying Shakespeare at the moment. He is a phenomenomal figure!

Shakespeare's Hamlet. I never read it before now and I think that despite it being written in the non-readable English ( :lol: ), it is fantastic. Romeo & Juliet = Fantastic. Macbeth = Fantastic.

Favourite so far has got to be Othello. It is so well written and enjoyed every moment of it. I also saw the film 2 years ago and I thought Iago was played excellently. I really do recommend watching it if you get the opportunity!

I'm not quite so familiar with his poetry but I have read some in the past. Without knowing much about Shakespeare or poetry, you can tell how good it is :P

So yeah, if anyone hasn't seen the film of Othello -- it's a must see! :)

Rinali Lee
*^_^*

Old 02-16-2008, 03:26 AM

Shakespeare is actually pretty good; I remember back in like...middle school where I hated Shakespeare. Now, that's all changed.

The first piece of work I read by Shakespeare that I really liked was Romeo and Juliet. Go figure. xD

Then came Twelfth Night, which was also really good.

After that came Macbeth, which I also loved.

No wonder everyone loves him; even I do, and I usually hate these kinds of flowery, old poetry.

DragonKitty
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 PM

I despise MacBeth. Although that's for a number of reasons.

Personally, I think Hamlet is one of his best pieces. It's very rarely done properly, too. And if anyone wants to laugh hysterically, and knows Shakespeare, watch The Abridged Shakespeare Company. They do all the plays in an hour. Hamlet takes the longest, and is really funny. I recommend it.

Merchant of Venice is also good. I tend to analyze the plays when I read them, so I also try and get out of it what was intended. Takes a lot longer, but I feel it's well worth it.

Aeris
Mistress of Materia!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 PM

I wouldn't mind hearing why you don't like MacBeth, but I do agree that Hamlet is definitely one of his finest. Though my second to MacBeth is Othello; Iago was just such a fantastic villian.

It truly shows that sometimes evil doesn't need a reason.

~PrincessSerenity~
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to ~PrincessSerenity~

Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 AM

I really enjoyed Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Nights Dream.

I'm very excited since I get to go see A Midsummer Nights Dream in Ashland.

I really enjoy Shakespeare and may take the class next year at school. Last year we read some sonnets and I was one of the only people that understood them. Probably since I'm in theater...well according to a friend that's why.

JoieD
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to JoieD

Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 AM

@PrincessSerenity: I'd definitely take your Shakespeare class. There's so much that can't be covered in a class that deals with other things.

Shakespeare's wonderful, as the survival of his work shows. My personal favorite is Macbeth, which I first saw performed when I was in the second grade. I love everything about this play; the character of Lady Macbeth is scary and yet so deep. My next favorite is probably Much Ado About Nothing, but really, there are few of his plays I don't like. And of course, I adore Sonnet 29:

Quote:
When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least:
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings'.

Last edited by King; 07-05-2008 at 06:53 PM..