Panic
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Panic

Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Hey everybody!

Like a it is lot of seniors, this semester is going to be insane for me, with trying to apply for all sorts of different colleges and scholarships, so I was hoping for some tips.

Older, wiser Menewshans, can you help us younger ones?

What looks best on Applications? Are second languages, ACT/SAT scores all important? What should we write our essays on?

I'm specifically looking to get into an art college. (AI in Schaumburg) for that kind of school, what sticks out the most in a portfolio?

Any other advice that you would give to a highschool student looking into college?

(I think this is the right place, but please move it if I'm wrong.)

Thanks in advance!!

Insomniac
Janitor
Administrator

Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM

On a tangent, I used to live within walking distance of AI in Schaumburg. Nice.

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Oh man, I guess since I got a couple of scholarships and filled out a bunch of applications, I'm qualified enough to give suggestions. XP

I think the first thing colleges look for (besides the required amount of high school classes you have to take) is someone who is well-rounded. So not only do you have to excel academically, but you also have to have other activities -- sports, drama, newspaper, etc. It also looks good to do some community service, which I had to do for NHS when I was in HS, so doing that was pretty much a non-issue for me.

Now, seeing as how you're starting your senior year, there may not be a lot of time to involve yourself in a bunch of extracurriculars, but you should try to get involved in something, regardless. I think a lot of admissions people look at that sort of thing and find it to be important.

If you've been lazy throughout high school and have done just the basic necessities to get by, it's going to be hard to get that scholarship. :yes: So involve yourself if possible. And if not, it does come down to that fateful essay (as well as grades and test scores)...

While I only had to write a couple of admissions essays for out-of-state schools, I found them to be kind of tricky. I think that as long as you stick to what you know, you should be fine. Just be sure to be articulate and have someone you know and trust read it over for you before you send it in. I would let one of my teachers read it, preferably an English teacher, so that you have someone watching out for grammar mistakes and organization issues. (And if anyone out there wants someone to read over their essay, I'd be happy to do so. Keep in mind that I'm a magazine editor, not an English teacher -- but I do have a pretty good grasp on the English language.)

But really, if you stick with a subject that is close to your heart, you should have a winner of an essay. Tugging on heartstrings or appealing to emotions is always a good way to sway someone to your point of view. ;)

Good luck! :D

EDIT: I don't know so much about art school, but I assume if you have a portfolio with a lot of variety, that's a good thing. Maybe some others will have better advice that is more specific to art school. :yes:

Panic
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Panic

Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Thanks so much Sizza! *so much information in one post*

I've had a harder time with the extracurriculars, I was homeschooled for most of my life, and the other two years I've gone to a 'public online school' so I haven't really had much opportunity for the extra stuff. This year i'm going to try to be in the art club (i've been in it for a few years) and I also want to get into the student government.

My grammar/english is atrocious though, seriously, I would be lost without spell check. I like to write a lot, this past year I wrote a short novel for my year long project. Creativity is my strong point for sure.
What would be something that would strike you, (as someone not so into art?) as cool, or different from the rest?

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM

My friend actually got into that school, but she ended up going into the army.. T_T'

but I think you need to try your best to get an interview with the person in charge(admissions people or whatever) and show them examples of your best art. I think for an art school talent is what really sticks out. Also you can't just have a bunch of the same things, like photos if your going into photography. You need a bit broader examples of art, like paintings, drawings, etc..

That'll make you stick out. Try to really stand out to the person who interviews you. I'm not saying dress crazy or anything, but be yourself and show them what your passionate about and be enthusiastic. Also be polite and try to dress up a little, not like suit and tie dress up, but more like a nice shirt and a pair of dress pants.

Tell them your experiences with different art, why you think art is right for you(say something like "I want to go into the art field because I find that I truely enjoy it. I love getting inspired by different things like a landscape, ..." whatever. You gotta show passion. that's the key.

As for scholarships, apply to as many as possible. Remember to do FAFSA, and to check out scholarships in your local area, and not just statewide things, because your city might have some things as well as your school, and the school you're going to. Volunteer and jobs do look good as well.. long term volunteering is best I think.

As for college essays, I didn't have to write one, so I don't know. Sometimes they choose the subject of the essay for you. My friend's art was so good she didn't even have to write an essay, and she made such a good impression on the lady she got a scholarship too ^^.. too bad so much talent wasted.. but if you got talent and a likeable enough personality(which I'm sure you do) you'll be fine, though I really believe the interview is one of the most important things when going to colleges in cases like art schools, and universities.

Also, try to save as much money as possible for college.

JeSsIcAtMeOwW
ROMA ROMA MA
Send a message via MSN to JeSsIcAtMeOwW

Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 PM

Hehe, I went through the exact same thing last year. xD~

I'm a freshman right now, and couldn't be loving like more at the moment. =)

ACT score can be an auto-in in some schools, but that's more so the huge state ones. Many schools base scholarships off of ACT(include SAT when I say this, but I never bothered with the SAT ^.^) and GPA.

DON'T STRESS OUT SO MUCH!!!!

Most (I'm making a generalization here xD) students love their college! If you don't, you can always switch to a different one! I personally applied to one school, got in, got tonsa scholarships (my school just gives money away xD I don't even know what half of them were for and I didn't have an oustanding GPA~), and just went here!

Does your school have a college counselor? Make them your new BFF. =) Mine helped me more than I could've imagined in the college process.

You say you're interested in a certain school? Just show it. If they have representatives visit your school, go talk to them and get your name on the board. You have to let them know you're interested!! If you're definitely set on one school, go ahead and do early decision/application.

Don't freak out!! =) Before you know it, you're accepted, packing, and off to college! Just wait till you have the midterms and papers to freak out about. xD

Most of all, still enjoy your senior year. ;) If you're stressed out the entire time, it won't be the best year in you high school career!~

Hakuna Matata!~;D (It means no worries! =o)

The Jupiter Alien
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to The Jupiter Alien

Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Wow, you all have some really good advice. I want to say thanks, I just started senior year two days ago! Luckily I'll be involved in a lot of extracurricular activities - volunteering is required for my government class, and is extra credit for my Trig/Prob&Statistics class. PLUS I'm involved in theater, which I absolutely adore.

I've decided I want to major in Literature/English, and minor in Theatre Arts. Any advice for this senior girl? :O

Son Zack
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Ahh, I'm totally freaking out about it, too!

That reminds me that I have to get going on my college resume xD It's so difficult to get going on... the college applications../acceptance!/rejection!? thing is terribly daunting, to me.

There's some awesome advice in this thread! This is my first year going to public school and I'm a senior, so I've missed out on extracurriculars and things, too. I'm not too good at sports despite enjoying them, and I'm afraid people will hate me if I join the team and make them lose xD

I definitely have done a lot of community service stuff, I've heard colleges like that sort of stuff. I'm really motivated to get into college and I know exactly what schools I'd want to go to and what sort of major I want to pursue. I heard that sort of thing makes you look more appalling to admissions staff, too.

I wish you really good luck!