SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 AM

The symbol of day disappeared beyond a distant horizon to clear the sky and give night a chance to paint the sky to its liking. Already his own constantly changing sign was peaking over to watch the last bits of sun set for her opportunity to rise and shine in her own way. The most ambitious and brightest stars already made their first appearances in the vast canvas.

“Rise my little creatures, rise,” a voice, soft in texture yet loud in dynamics, arose from what seemed an empty shadow. Creeping through dense woods, the words brought the scene to life as owls, bats, badgers, and coyotes scurried from their morning hideouts into full activity. “This is our time, when all those who show us hate are too preoccupied with fear of my blanket of darkness to come out and forbid us our fun.”

A town not too far off was closing up for the day. Children were called in and doors locked in an extra safety precaution. They would not dare leave the safety of their homes where they could bask in their lights and knew Night did not dare enter unwelcomed. That they existed was of little consequence. That they worshiped when it suited them and hated otherwise was where the ugliness was to be found. Until they could repent, there would be no mercy. Until they could undo wrongs long done and deeply scratched, night would be a danger.

Loyal companions followed closely behind. Like smoke they floated up in curls and waves, yet they managed to have figure. Their eyes, glowing red, marked what looked to be the heads of hounds or wolves. The sound of heavy breathing was all around and nowhere at the same time. It happened in sync, as though they were all one. From such quick breaths, it was clear that they were ready to fulfill their duty to their master, who had always served them in equal faith.

“Just a little bit longer, and you will be free for the night as well, my pets.”

All that was passed in this walk was overcome with darkness, as if to add an extra effect as one could watch daylight literally fade and melt away to succumb to darkness. Already, Night was nearing the town he’d long most loathed. Soon, the shadows would be unleashed.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 AM

As the last of the sun's rays disappeared the young man could feel his limbs trembling with the strain he forced upon them. The other boys of his village had drawn him out by taking away his walking stick to an abandoned farm far away from the safety of their home. They'd run away upon the path leaving him behind wandering about uselessly in the fast growing darkness. Eyre felt the familiar feeling of a breath stealing cough running trough his body. Small sounds of fear filled the air as the blond staggered round in circles while searching blindly for the staff his father had so lovingly created.

There were things out there. Scurrying around everywhere in search of food that they would certainly find. Remembered screams from others who'd not found the safety of the village in time filled Eyre's mind. The boy's warm brown eyes filled with tears as he felt his legs collapse beneath him.

It was no use. He was a cripple, or as good as one. Since his birth he'd been weak and sickly. With hair the color of the sun's last golden rays they said he'd been blessed. Or at least, his parents did. Eyre coughed once more and didn't even bother trying to muffle the sounds. What was the use when he would die soon anyway? Either at the hands of the night, or because of his failing health. One option was the same as the other, save for the fact that this way at least he wouldn't have to bear the pitying looks of the villagers.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 AM

((My Gosh… I want to hurt the guys that stole his walking stick D=))

A cough broke the usually tidy ritual. In that moment of distraction, night completely engulfed the land, leaving only the light reflected from the moon to walk by. It’d been long since anyone was out during such a dangerous time and long since the shadows had gotten to taste the sweet freshness of life. They were eager and their cold, windy whines grew louder as Night strayed from his path toward an abandoned farm in the direction of the cough. It would be time for fun at long, long last. They could again remind the townsfolk why to be humbled before the idea of nighttime and why they needed to obey the order to stay locked up.

Surprise came with the sight of the sun once again, gaudily coming back in a time it was not welcome, when in accordance to their agreement it too would be hidden. The color was in the hair of the one who’d delivered the cough. Again as a surprise, it was not another tough man who thought himself above night and above fear. In fact, this one wasn’t even standing and his eyes seemed brimming with tears. Somehow, the sight struck a chord in playing the usually black and out of tune heart of Night.

For the first time in years, Night took on a physical form and from shadows stepped out in the figure of the same dark-haired young man he’d taken on in his last escapade. The creatures around him dissolved around his feet as he seemed to come from distant fog.

“What are you doing out?” his own voice caused shock, as it again came from a single source, “Night may very well devour you if you sit here alone. Aren’t you afraid?”

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 AM

((Yeah, meanies ... ><))

For some reason the growing howl's did not frighten Eyre. Perhaps because he'd been resigned to his early death long ago. In some ways he was even looking forward to it. Curiosity too played a part in all of this. Perhaps he would see the ever frightening Night and finally know what kind of person brought so much fear in the hearts of all save that of Day.

Hacking coughs wrenched trough Eyre once more making him wrap his arms around himself tightly to try and stop the movements of his own body. Dimly he heard someone speaking to him. Lifting dark brown eyes to the stranger, Eyre fought to steady his breathing for a few moments before speaking in the raspy voice that so often brought upon him even more teasing then his frail health ever did. He'd been able to sing so beautifully once.

"I needed to find my staff. Some ... others hid it here. I need it to help me walk." Pausing to think for a few moments about the other man's question, Eyre shrugged while trying to hide how cold he'd suddenly become. "Why fear death when I know it comes soon enough for me anyway? At least if Night took me, I wouldn't have to see everyone's pitying gazes as I die slowly." He feared that such was the case already. It seemed like the healer came to visit his home more often of late.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 AM

The sight of eyes looking upon him first made his own eyes widen. It had been too long since a pair of eyes had properly looked in his direction, since he had allowed himself to be seen. That was something of so long ago that father time himself would have long forgotten it ever came to pass. The raspy voice that came in response to his questions softened his face. It was not that he found himself feeling sorry for having set out to first end the life of the blonde who sat upon the ground in a forbidden time, but that relating to the idea of being outcast was not too difficult. In a friendlier time, even the well beloved Day had a cruelty shown only to its sibling, young Night. Even then he’d been the one more feared.

The chord quickly moved from just a single strike to a progression as Night, now solid in a human form, moved to sit beside the blonde on the ground. That hair truly did resemble the sun, perpetual symbol of day, the opposite. All coldness had left as he looked with new warmth. Suddenly, the night too was warm, a breeze wrapping around like a gentle hug replaced the usual icy gusts. The sky looked as though it had been set ablaze time and time again, here and there as stars took the opportunity to show off all they were worth now that bitter clouds didn’t cover them and threaten a nighttime storm.

“Something… something tells me that tonight will be a nice time to be out anyway,” ignoring such upsetting words that had come from the other, Night spoke with a timid joy that he didn’t even remember was possible to convey through voice alone. “I’m out too and I’ve yet to see anything terrible… So, if you don’t fear death and I’m here anyway, perhaps we can look together.”

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Eyre was surprised as the night seemed to transform into something completely strange and alien. It was so warm and welcoming. He'd never seen the stars before. They were such beautiful things lighting up the sky like thousands of uncountable fireflies. Relaxing with this transformation, the young man felt a small smile tugging at his lips. It seemed like it had been forever since the last time he'd felt even a little pinch of happiness.

Turning his head to glance at his unexpected companion the young man shrugged lightly. "I would welcome the help," murmured Eyre almost shyly. He'd just realized how boldly he'd spoken his thoughts to someone whose name he didn't even know. Shaking his head the pale skinned boy struggled to stand. Bending over his legs he rubbed them gently before letting his eyes rove over the broken down farmhouse. It seemed to be magical with the light of the stars and moon shinning brightly down with a soft welcoming light.

It was so different then the harshness that so often followed the sun's rays. "My name is Eyre." Offering up the slender thread of his identity felt like giving away so much more. There was something very unique about this stranger. The dark haired man was so mysterious and somehow familiar. A thread of thought whispered trough Eyre's mind that he was very much like this impossibly benign night.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 AM

Somehow, the name seemed such a large gift. How something as simple as a name, just a tool for identification, gained so much power in holding such a large portion of the identity was another one of the forever unanswered questions. Being unable to give a proper name in return was almost upsetting. What Night was had never been unknown, and so a name had never served too much of a purpose. Only once, years and years ago, had Night taken on a proper name, but all of that had become so distant that although memories were so vivid, it seemed closer to a dream than anything. Everything was always so much closer to dream. Such was the beauty of night. Such was the torture of Night.

Eyre, this was the name of the fellow countryman in rejection. The one who’d also been shown hatred by those who feared what came as sun set. Tracing the name on his lips without speaking it, a tiny smile formed on the face of the dark-haired youth. “I’m glad to be of service. It’s about time I get around to doing some good.”

With this, he stood. His eyes followed along to look at the farmhouse that looked as though it wanted only to be relieved of its own weight. Such a sad existence the poor structure had, to be pained attention to only now as a part of a cruel joke. “I’m just not exactly certain how to help. Would it be best if I play the part of a hound and fetch, the part of the stick as a balance, or the part of a pair of legs?”

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 AM

Letting out a small laugh, Eyre let his eyes rove over the clearing once more. Despite the bright light offered by the moon it was difficult for him to see anything that resembled his staff. No, it was more accurate to say that too many sticks were laying around for such a thing to happen. Walking forward a few steps, Eyre's eyes widened. Why was it that a wracking, heart wrenching, cough had to slip trough him now? It was so embarrassing to suffer like this before someone who did not truly know the sickness that afflicted him.

Lifting a hand to his mouth, Eyre closed his eyes with a sigh. He didn't even need to look at his sticky wet fingers to know what lay there. Red, like roses and tomatoes, it was life and it was death. Right now it spelled nothing but the worst for the young man. "Fetch, I don't think I can stand anymore, let alone walk." Letting his legs fold down beneath him, Eyre closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around his knees.

"Please ..." He knew things were worse. It had begun a few days ago, and his already bad condition had become worse. No one knew what had caused it, but there was certainly no way of changing things. The mages and healers were thoroughly perplexed. All Eyre knew was the fact that he was tired, and coughed up blood at every turn. Food held no more appeal for him and sleep brought with it even more pain. If his parents knew that he'd left their home and was out in the forest, at night, they would have a fit.

((I decided he has tuberculosis))

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 PM

In just watching as rough coughs surfaced and seemed to painfully leap out from the throat, there was an awful sense of helplessness. Unable to think of anything better to do, he just placed gentle hands upon heaving shoulders as though that would somehow aid in easing any discomfort. With all the Night was capable of, it was rare to be so lacking in power. To be human seemed such an awful thing. They were so often left without power. Perhaps that was why they so quickly took to cruelty. In that tiny, sick way, they could hold the smallest pinches of control.

“I can indeed fetch,” with a nod, he attempted to again lighten the mood to match the pleasant scenery created by the dulling of anger that had stood so long that being without it made him already feel infinitely lighter. “But… perhaps it would be a better idea to first take you home? Rest may help kill whatever has struck you,” continuing, his tone managed to stay light and hopeful. He was even beginning to remind himself of that too amazing Day, who had always used words too happy for circumstances. “I can help you home and come back for it, if you describe the staff to me.”

For some reason completely unknown and indeterminable, a feeling of responsibility for the well-being of this human was suddenly taken upon by the night and placed into his hands. There was nothing logical that could be thought of to explain this. Having been distanced from the sentiments of a usually cold species for so long, it should have been easy to keep such weight removed and apart.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Feeling hands upon his shoulders, Eyre glanced up with surprise. This wasn't the reaction he'd expected at all. People tried to run and avoid him with everything they had. In fact, many of the villagers had begun asking that he remain within his home at all times because of his illness. Soon Eyre feared that he would have to because of his growing weakness. But that time was not yet. For now the blond was determined to enjoy the world as best he could, to live like he had never dreamed he could.

Eyre wanted no regrets to plague him if the worst did happen. Forcing himself to answer with a happiness that he did not know, the young man let his raspy voice slip from his lips. "Yes, I think that would be a wonderful thing. Your offer is far too kind to refuse." In fact, Eyre couldn't refuse. The village was too far for him to reach as he was without aid of any kind.

"It's carved with symbols for strength and protection all along its length. The wood is dark, oak I think. It's been polished and a part of it is worn with use." Another cough swept trough Eyre making him wince. "Forgive me, I think I really do need to go home as soon as possible." Hopefully he could sneak inside without his parents knowledge. They slept so deeply. It was hard not to envy everyone their good health at times. Truly, if he had not worked so hard to stop himself from doing so Eyre would have been bitter indeed and hated the world. Instead he took what good he could from what sources he could find. His newest acquaintance perhaps could be one of the good things in his life. He couldn't help but hope.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM

There was something almost nice about not being the cause of fear. It went along with that same good feel of being simply looked at and spoken to. Certainly too much time had passed since such common actions could be enjoyed. Somehow, it became hard to be bitter toward the people he generally loathed now that one sat before him and presented tidbits of forgotten goodness that had somehow remained hidden from what should have been an all knowing being. Even through what looked to be much pain and although he was weakened by whatever ailed him, the blonde seemed to be still able to keep from allowing himself to rot and become sour, in the way dark and gloomy Night had. He didn't seem to place blame on anyone.

"You have my word that your staff will soon be delivered right to your door," he continued to use that optimistic tone that was usually so uncharacteristic of such a dark time. "And I will do all I can to keep our trip short, so you may get home."

With this, an arm wrapped beneath Eyre's shoulders as, too unsure of himself to take as much charge as to fully carry the blonde, the Night attempted to act more as a second pair of legs to balance upon. Already eager hounds of smoke who'd watched from the distance began to close in again, though they looked more like a returning cloud of fog that hung close to the earth as they wrapped around the Night's feet, pushing the pair up to enough to make it seem as though they half lifted them from the ground just the tiniest fraction of a millimeter. To this, a still human form of Night was again powerless. In such a figure, it was impossible to understand the motivations of his little friends and minions.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 AM

"Thank you," whispered Eyre with a grateful sigh. It was amazing how much those two simple words expressed. Taking in another deep breath of the fresh night air, Eyre found himself loathe to leave. This was the most beautiful night he'd seen in his life, and having to close his eyes upon it was such a shame.

Still, he leaned against the dark haired man and allowed himself to be helped up. Finding an unexpected warmth, Eyre sighed and pressed himself closer to the other man. Though it was a warm night he still found himself shivering from time to time, an action which wasn't helped by the fog which had just rolled in. "Do you think that perhaps we could meet again?" Turning his thoughts from darker things Eyre concentrated on his newest acquaintance.

It was so refreshing to meet someone who didn't pity him or look down upon him because of his ill health. Eyre wanted to speak with him again, this nameless person. There were so many reasons! Curiosity and novelty, it was an almost irresistible pairing. Feeling sleep slip into his mind, Eyre wrapped an arm around Night for support and silently wished that his legs would stop shaking so tremendously.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 AM

".. You're welcome." the worlds slid out with a smile, "I was hoping to meet again as well. Tomorrow night will be just as nice. I can see you again then." It was so very wrong to make such plans, to allow himself to cave to weakness and give into this simple yearning to again just see Eyre. Dare he call the blonde a friend? Already it was half tempting.

After so much time spent loathing, it was unreal that such a brief encounter could vanish that long lived hatred. Looking up at his own sky, finally seeing what beauty he could be capable of when someone was willing to simply look was another surprise. Night had gone so long punishing any and everyone that even to him, nighttime seemed as though it could be nothing but a dangerous and cold thing. Now the shadows didn't toss off in frightening shapes, but were of little consequence when stars overtook the sky and prevented one from having the time or will to look down. Even Night wished for this to happen all again.

With this, Night held the blonde tightly beside him, and readied to take the first step. The fog had left as quickly as it came, as though all it wanted was to lap at ankles and be sure all was well before it was satisfied enough to retreat back into the darkness and contented itself with lingering in the distance. Whether the hounds were happy to see Night without the usual coat of distaste or angry for not getting to taste the salty blood of a fresh body was still unclear. Slowly, he began to walk.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 AM

How could he be so sure that the night would be nice? Every one for as long as he could remember and before had been a true nightmare. Destruction, havoc and disasters galore waited for any who dared step outside the village. It was hard to push aside such ingrained behavior upon a whim. At the same time no one had ever treated Eyre the way this stranger did. Dangers could be braved, he supposed, especially when it truly didn't matter anyway.

It took a while before Eyre spoke as he leaned against Night, silently welcoming his support. Stepping in time slowly with the other man he couldn't help but wonder where he had come from. It had been so sudden, the way he had appeared. Such a strange coincidence too, the way the night had become so beautiful at his appearance. He was glad for it though, whatever had brought him to his side. Eyre's greatest wish looked like it was about to be granted. A friend was such a wonderful thing.

"I'll look forward to it all day, though I think a clearing closer to the village might be best... My legs aren't as strong as they should be." Looking down at the traitorous limbs, Eyre let out a pained sigh. The action made him feel like a cough would burst forth from his chest. Grimacing the young man brought a hand up to his heart and took slow deep breaths to halt the wracking sound from bursting forth. He'd already embarrassed himself enough! Eyre didn't want to ruin this just budding friendship by having his companion think he was weak, or frail. Turning the growing friendship into something wrought with pity was the last thing Eyre wanted, and the thought nearly brought tears to his eyes.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 AM

Although there were no words again until Eyre had settled and spoken again, the night had not been filled with silence. There was no harsh wind to toss the sound of this and that blowing or rain and thunder to strike fear into any hearts. Instead, it was a chorus of frogs and crickets that fought to be the loudest so their sweet chirps blended into a single, chaotic song. Not even Night knew his time could be so magical. Perhaps it was being able to simply share the moment which filled it with something special.

As conversation again picked up, this medley quieted just a bit, as though to respectfully make room for the exchange. “I’m certain I’ll be looking forward to it as well,” he began, “but if it’s too much trouble, I can just come and find you.”

Already buildings loomed close as they neared the village. When the last time he’d actually set foot in the place as such a figure, as something that could be seen, Night couldn’t even remember. For the longest time, it was enough to just brush by to ignite fear. That method had also always been the easiest on a troubled conscience and beaten heart. On the outskirts, there was a clear falter in step, though the young man was able to carry on easily in a quick overcoming of fear. “I’ve always been very good at finding things… and you shouldn’t be too well hidden. I do intend to leave you at least near your home- as near as you’d like.”

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 AM

Every sound was such a pleasure. At the thought of not being able to see the night time beauty of the forest once more, Eyre cried out. At least, he made some sound of pain at the thought. "No, I'll find a way. I ... This is the first time I've been outside the village at night, and it's just too beautiful to miss again." He wanted to enjoy everything that he could. Glancing up and catching sight of the village filled Eyre with undisguised emotions. Flitting over his features, all his thoughts were plain to see. This was his home, yet he'd never truly found a way to belong there.

All the old stone houses seemed to loom menacingly over them in a way, until the soft glow of fireflies lit up the streets here and there. Now the same light that had transformed the farmhouse into something so much more worked it's magic upon the village. It filled Eyre with awe. Even his golden hair seemed to catch up the light of the moon to shine with its own light. A golden flash shone once in the night, before dying as quickly as it had come to be. "Take me to my home, please." He was loathe to part with his friend, the nameless person he'd known for such a short time but who had already gained his trust.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Anticipation and excitement worked together to make the day pass slowly. Each minute dragged on and on and the sun seemed content with only shuffling across the sky. Night had forgotten how long a day could last. Usually, the time passed too quickly and once again it was time to continue with that petty revenge that didn’t even fill his heart anymore. Being lifted from constant apathy and grey into emotion set on full blast was frightening, painful, and wonderfully thrilling all at the same time. Trusting these sensations was impossible, but following their instructions was all to be done.

Throughout the entire day, a thin veil of fog hung low on the ground, as though the clouds had lost their way and now tried to bury themselves. The sight was something of a phenomenon. Right where the last house ended, so did the fog, in a steep wall. There was a strange shadow that accompanied. Whether or not anyone had noticed was something Night hadn’t cared to watch for. Certainly day would not appreciate the lingering clues of Night in its turn to rule the land.

Unlike the previous day and the many before it, darkness did not take its time to settle in. Instead, it fell upon and engulfed everything right when the sun took its final breath before submerging beneath the horizon. Just as activity died down, a lone figure holding a staff of some sort appeared in the village, again having stepped out of nothingness and again causing a disperse of fog to wipe along the dirt and unsettle dust. Now it was time to search for that blonde. First, he went to the home visited the previous night, hoping to retrace steps if that location was without success.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 AM

After being escorted to his home, Eyre had slipped inside the threadbare place furtively until he reached his room. Clambering into his bed after letting his eyes roam trough his room somehow calmed Eyre. Soon enough the blessed relief of sleep settled down upon the frail boy like a soft blanket.

The next morning, Eyre tried to explain what had happened to his staff but let the subject drop after seeing the way his parents were behaving. Besides he wanted nothing to jeopardize his chance to see the stranger again. Daylight shone down mercilessly, and yet an unusual fog lay upon the earth. The cool lapping of it at his ankles brought comfort to Eyre though it frightened many of the villagers. Fog was tied to Night, who was not supposed to show any signs of existence during this bright time.

When day began to fade away Eyre convinced his parents to let him stay outside. The cool air helped keep at bay any fevers that might suddenly decide to plague the young man. It became apparent that they had fallen asleep once the frail flames of the lovingly made candles were extinguished, leaving only the myriad stars to illuminate the sky with the aid of the moon. After staring up at them for what seemed like an eternity, Eyre glanced down to see his friend approaching. Warmth filled his brown eyes as the blond stood and took a few weak steps forward only to falter and let himself plop down upon the ground with a sigh. At least he hadn't uttered one cough yet, though his traitorous body was certain to do so soon enough.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 AM

This night was even more beautiful than the previous. This time, it had been intentionally created to be so. The vast sky looked a soft, velvety violet that set the stage for twinkling torches to light a path. Already one or two of the stars fell from above; they left streaks of their light to, for the shortest second, smear across the sky. Again a chorus of frogs and crickets worked together to sing the soundtrack. Though the only lyric was a ‘Chirrup’ they seemed to sing with all that was in them, pouring their very lives in to their music.

Much to his luck, Eyre had been just outside his home. The blonde had stood and taken a few steps as soon as he was in sight, falling after shortly after. Upon seeing this, Night ran to close the distance, crouching beside him and holding out a carved, dark wood staff. “Is this the right one? I searched all night before stumbling across it.” In all honesty, it’d taken less than a minute to find. With as many eyes as he controlled when taking into account all of the little shadows which usually followed, searching was simply a matter of describing and setting them free to do the work for him.

It was so wrong to be so excited to meet with any mortal. The mistake had been made once and all throughout the day, Night had reminded itself of this. But, it’d been a promise that the staff would be hand delivered and there was no going back on such a promise. Anyway, now that it’d again seen that stubborn blonde who dared bring day to night, meeting again felt so right that it had become impossible to remember just why there had been fear.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Looking with a smile upon the carved piece of wood, Eyre reached out to grip it's smooth surface. Placing it upon his knees to look over at his friend, he tilted his head forward. "It is, thank you though you didn't have to search so long and hard for it." He could have survived without the staff. Without company was another matter entirely. It had been such a long lonely day. Even the cool breeze of the outside world had done nothing to ease the type of pain that dwelled within ones heart.

Realizing something Eyre reached out without thinking to take hold of his companion's hand. "Please tell me your name," he would have said more but a harsh cough stole his breath. Bringing up his free hand to cover his mouth, Eyre groaned lightly. The blond slumped and shivered despite the warm winds. Feeling exhaustion settle in, Eyre sighed It had been such a long day spent waiting for his friend. Tiredness had to be put aside, this was his only friend, since there was no other choice.

Finishing the couching session, Eyre smiled sheepishly. "I apologize, I'll understand if after seeing how sick I am you decide to leave." The doctor had come to visit once more, and the news hadn't been good. Perhaps that was why his parents had indulged his need to sit outside till the end of the day. Thinking about that meeting again made Eyre's face fall and fill with sadness.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM

For a second, there was a nervousness that overtook Night. He hadn’t needed a name for the longest time and being asked to provide out so suddenly put him on the spot. The coughing fit that followed the question was almost a stroke of luck, as it saved him from awkward stuttering. As Eyre continued to cough, Night pulled his hand away so he could sit beside the blonde and wrap both arms around his back, as if he somehow believed that would somehow help calm the coughs.

“Don’t worry, Eyre,” Night’s voice was soft, almost to the point of being a whisper. “I think I should get just a bit more credit. I’m really not afraid of much and a cough couldn’t chase me away.” Suddenly, it’d become impossible to leave or one day abandon his new friend. If asked to show up, Night decided, he would always come. Although, it wouldn’t be fair that one day, the blonde, sick or not, was destined to die as another mortal. Night would again be the one left alone, as had happened with his first companion.

“And my name is…” he paused. It was the perfect time to give away his secret. Better to tell in the beginning and risk being called a liar from the start than build a large lie that could one day cause more pain for all parties involved. Still, the truth was so harsh. What was to be said? I am the reason your people cannot leave after sundown. I’ve long hated your kind. There was no way of putting it lightly. “… I don’t have a name…” Settling on a partial truth seemed the only option.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 AM

Closing his eyes Eyre leaned back into his friend's arms with a small sigh. He felt so horrible for this, for the fact that he'd finally made a friend when he knew he had so little time left. "But it's so much more then just a cough, can't you see the blood staining my lips?" Why did tears have to begin falling from his eyes? Covering them quickly with the palm of his hands, Eyre turned his head away from his friend. "I don't have long to live, and now I can't bear the thought because I've finally found a friend." Better to let the painful truth spill from his lips now, rather then dying without ever telling him about the certainty of it and making the poor man suffer because of the realization that he'd lied.

"The healer says I can give this sickness to others. You have to leave, I just wanted to know your name first. Why won't you tell me?" It was breaking Eyre's heart in a way being beset by sickness during his whole life trough had never been able to. The thought that his friend didn't want him to know his name, and that of the fact that he might already have given him his deadly disease ... It was too much to bear for Eyre. Overwrought by his emotions, a hacking cough replaced his words. They'd only met during the past night and already the other man's friendship meant to much to him.

Because no one else had ever shown him such genuine intentions before. Even his parents were driven by pity, even though Eyre knew how much they loved him. Still, he was a burden to them and he knew it. Now this, he couldn't believe that anyone could have no name and it hurt him terribly to think that his friend had to come up with such an excuse. Twisting around despite the tears and coughing, he wrapped his arms around Night in what he thought of as a farewell hug. He would crawl away and lock himself in his house for the rest of his days so no one else could catch his deadly disease, so his friend could be safe along with the rest of the village.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 AM

The sight of tears made his heart drop. To be human and so emotional was something for which Night hadn’t been prepared. Usually, all to be seen was a hateful species that seemed only able to find joy in the pain of others. Now there was some beauty in the sentimental side shown by the crying blonde. He worried not about himself, but for the nameless Night, whose eyes softened at worried words. That man could feel anything but spite had become something lost in his own anger. Ending the tears seemed the only proper action.

“Please, believe me. I wouldn’t dare lie,” his voice was hushed and almost lost in the breeze, “In all honesty, I swear by that moon above that I have no true name and because of it you cannot get me sick.” It’d been the partial truth which had caused the trouble in the first place, but finding a way to give wholly his identity seemed impossible now that he tried. There was always the option of a complete lie. Perhaps then his friend could spend the rest of his days with some comfort in thinking somewhere there was a true man with a name that dared once visit him despite any dangers it presented.

“You can’t toss me aside like that; I still want to see you,” he continued. Returning the hug, Night felt the odd sensation of a heartbeat from within him beating against his chest with growing fury. That anyone could make such a thing happen was a wonder. Already Eyre had earned a special place within his mind and the heart which beat in him in such a solid form. Already it hurt to know that the blonde he wrapped his arms around would one day depart from the earth for good and never be seen again. The thought brought back memories that made an already hard-working heart thump louder. Night had made too many mistakes in the past. It was too soon to allow another slip up to hurt anyone else. “I… I am darkness and torment and the stars and the moon. I’m the monsters beneath the beds and the howling beyond the forest.” The final words were almost inaudible. They’d begun on an impulse and had just continued to pour out through lips that didn’t seem ready to allow them to materialize.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 AM

He wanted to believe. Eyre wanted every word his friend spoke to be true so he could spend time with him without worrying about killing him or bringing him pain. It seemed like such a futile wish, but oh what wouldn't he have given it to be true? No one could escape sickness except the gods, and they never set foot upon the earth. And those words, they didn't make sense! It was how night was described always in the legends and books. Night with it's force and brilliance within darkness all wrapped up together to inspire fear in anyone's heart.

"I wish it were true, you have no idea how much... " Trailing off Eyre allowed himself to lean down so his golden head rested against his friend's heart. Taking warmth and comfort where it was given had become such a habit. Closing his eyes once more, he simply listened and held his friend as tightly as he could. One beat followed the next, steadily beating a strong rhythm that soothed away any fears. So strong and healthy, Eyre should have been jealous but he could only feel glad that his nameless friend had such a strong heart. He just didn't want to ruin it so it beat as weakly and unsteadily as his own.

Even the thought that his friend believed he was Night didn't deter Eyre's need to know that everything would be alright for him despite his refusal to turn his back upon him. "Please go," begged the blond despite the fact that he was still nestled closely against his friend. "I don't want to hurt you, to end your life. I'm just so glad that I got to meet you, because you see me for who I am and not what disease plagues me or for the fact that Death will come for me soon." Pain, worry and disbelief filled his voice. His friend was crazy, out of his mind, but he was healthy despite that. He was the kindest person Eyre knew, and taking him from the world was the very last thing he wanted to do.

Struggling lightly to escape the other man's arms, Eyre tried to crawl away and grab his stick. The staff meant so much more now because it reminded him of his friend.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 AM

As the blonde began his escape, Night went limp, allowing the other easily out of his arms to pick up his staff. The truth had been too outrageous to be believed. It wasn’t fair to expect the words to be taken and accepted so easily. The blonde still insisted on his leaving. He still worried more about others than himself. It was too admirable and made the begging for Night’s departure cause even more heartache. Of all the people to be suffering under such a sickness, it was unfair that someone so unselfish would be taken from the world. Among the dozens of others who portrayed a mortal Night, who brought darkness with each step, the single hint of day had to be the one who was taken the fastest. Nothing good, it seemed, ever liked to stay for very long.

“I will go for tonight, but just because you asked for me to,” although his voice was still quiet, it found a way to echo and sound as though it had come from the very breeze, which had picked up just a hair. “I will be back again, though. I cannot bring myself to leave you suffer alone.”

Already his warmth was dissolving as his presence faded. From crevices in walls and thin alleys between homes, that fog came again. This time, it was not hidden that it flowed and floated in such a way that gave it figure, heads of Night’s wolves and owls and other dark and fearsome creatures. The patches of fog came together to wrap around Night, who simply sat and allowed it to engulf him. With each passing moment, as more of this fog gathered, the young man seemed to become less and less visible, almost transparent as shadows joined in and darkness seemed ready to completely consume and tear apart Night to overtake him and draw him into their coldness. They threatened to make him a part of this swirling madness, as slowly he was made to be nowhere and everywhere at the very same time.