RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 PM

William Hare was nothing if not a hard working man. He;d been working on the canals ever since he'd emigrated over to Edinburgh from the Irish town of Derry. He kept himself to himself, keeping out of trouble and doing whatever he could to get a little bit of cash to line his pockets. His wife ran a boarding house in the West Port area of Edinburgh. There were very few residents, only the couple, their friend William Burke and an elderly man. The man was not a regular rent payer, however. Instead, he chose to regale everyone of his army tales, back in the day when he was a soldier.

"You better sort this out, Willie," Margaret said worriedly as he head out to meet with the tax man. "This is the third payment this year we've missed, they're well within their rights to turf us out. Then where will we be?"

"Calm down, I'll do what I always do. We'll be fine for another month, rest assured."

"A month? Willie, I need more assurance than that!"

"Look, I need to go or I'll be late. That won't win me any favours, you know what the Stewarts are like."

With that, Hare left the humble home. Although he promised his wife that he'd get everything sorted, he didn't know if he could or not. As she said, this was the third payment that they'd missed. Irvine Stewart was nothing if not a cruel man, he got his kicks from the misfortune of others and those that couldn't come up with the goods. He'd had it in for Hare for years, and only now was he able to expose him.

He quickened his pace on the cobbles to get to the town centre in time. There was a hanging happening today, Mad Maggie was caught stealing for the last time. Due to this, there were a lot more people bumming about than there would normally be.

"Ah, Mister Hare," a voice said from behind him. "Late again, I see."

"Hello, Irvine. Lovely to see you again. Nice weather, eh?" Hare replied quickly, placing a crooked smile onto his face.

"Cut the formality, Hare. You owe me money. Though I'm willing to bet you don't have it."

Hare gulped, he took his flat cap off of his head and wrung it in his hands. His pallor had become only what one could describe as ghostly. He knew he was in deep water now, only quick thinking would save him.

"Ah, no," he said simply. "Let me explain!"

"Please, do. I can't wait to hear what sort of fairytale you spot now!"

"Maggie, she's been ill you see. I've had to call off work to tend to her. She's not been right for a while. She's slowly returning to herself now, but I can't really be sure. We can't afford a doctor's call neither, so we're playing it by ear. How can I be expected to work when my wife whom I love so dearly is a step away from death's door? Next month, when things return to normal, I'll have the money to pay you, and a generous tip. Anything to keep the wolf from my door. I am a provider, Mister Stewart, and providing is what I am trying to do now."

Hare replaced his hat on his head, feeling that his lie was quite a good one. Better than his previous attempts anyway. However, this was Irvine he was dealing with, there was no way that a sob-story alone would soften his heart of granite.

"And, Mister Hare, how do you propose that we keep the wolf from your door? This year you have only actually paid me three times. I've been generous to you before, but now I feel you're taking advantage of my good nature," Irvine said with a smile which showed all his yellow teeth perfectly.

"Would I do such a thing?" Hare replied in mock horror.

"Yes. You would. I know your sort, Hare," Stewart spat. "I know what your lot are capable of. This is the last time that I'm going to let a payment slide. Next month you better have the full £6 or you and your wife will be out on your ear, not to mention the scum that you house. Are we clear?"

"As clear as the firth," Hare replied.

"Good. Now, get out of my sight."

With that, Hare quickly rushed off. However, he did not return home to share the good news with his wife. He went straight to the pub where he was due to meet his housemate and friend, Burke.

Last edited by RoadToGallifrey; 04-07-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 PM

((this is pathetic-- I'm really rusty))

William Burke left the shoe shop, where he'd been working as an assistant cobbler, early to meet his housemate William Hare at the pub. He walked in a bit of a hurry, anxious to hear the news as to whether Hare had gotten an extension on a payment for their home. They were barely managing to hold this year; money was growing tighter.

Not to mention the large sum Burke had had to spend at the end of the last year, bring his daughter, Iona, over to Scotland after his wife and sons, Padraig and Jamie, had perished. He and his wife had separated on unhappy terms, and he'd been estranged from his children since they day they'd each been born, but guilt had led Burke to bring his only surviving child to live with him. At least she wasn't a child and could manage taking care of herself. Iona was also a help to Margaret, which made having the extra mouth to feed acceptable.

Burke took a seat at the counter, but withheld from ordering a drink until his friend arrived. He didn't make much at cobbling; it would serve him well if he saved his pennies until he heard the verdict. If it was good, then Burke decided he'd indulge in a drink... if it wasn't good news... well, he might have to indulge a little, too.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM

((It's fine))

Hare walked into the pub where he saw Burke sitting by the bar. He grinned.

"Rosie, two ales if you please!" he boomed happily at the barmaid. She was a dish of a thing, buxom and blonde. He often flirted with her, hoping that one day she would take on his advances. Yes, he was married, but a man cannot expect to be satisfied by one woman alone.

"I've good news," he said to Burke as he pulled up a stool next to him. "That lout, Stewart has agreed to give us another month. However, we need to pull out the stops this month. If we don't have the money he won't be so forgiving. Tonight, however, we drink!"

Rosie placed two large tankards on the bar and smiled.

"Celebrating?" she asked, leaning on the bar with a hand on her hip. "That'll be two shillings."

"You better believe it, Rosie," Hare said happily, handing over the coins. "Care to join us in a little celebration?"

"As much as I'd love to, I'm working," she said, and with a smile, she swept off to serve someone else.

"What a woman..." Hare said, more to himself than Burke.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Burke chuckled, relieved to hear that they had a home for another month, and took up his drink. He took a long swig of it before giving a small belch and setting it back onto the counter. He swung his arm around Hare's shoulders and gave him a strong pat on the back. "Well done," he said merrily. "The girls will be pleased."

Burke eyed Rosie and smirked. He leaned closer to Hare to speak lower. "Aye, and Margaret wouldn't havetah know. I'll cover for yah." He pulled away with a booming laugh and took another swig of his drink.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Hare laughed along with Burke.

"I say, we drink until our pockets are empty. Today is a good day. We can head home to the lassies later to get a stew to line our bellies and head off happily to sleep," Hare said, tossing some change onto the bar. "Another lot of drinks, Rosie!"

He picked up his tankard and drained the entire thing. Belching loudly afterwards.

---

"Oh lord!" Margaret screamed. "Iona! Iona! Get in here!"

She put her hands up to her mouth in horror as she stepped away from the elderly army man, lying dead on his bed.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Iona dropped the basket of bed clothes at the sound of Margaret screaming. Startled she grabbed up her skirts and rushed to Margaret's side. As soon as she saw the man, Iona's jaw fell open. The girl had only ever seen her mother and brothers' dead bodies... seeing another was strange and terrifying. "W-what happened to him?" she gasped.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Margaret shook her head.

"I-I don't know. He was an old man, who has seen a lot of terrible things. I'm assuming natural causes. Now, Iona, I need you to do me a favour. We can't afford to get the coroner over, so I need you to go and find your father and William. Okay? They'll know what to do."

Margaret wrung her hands in worry.

"Try the town, if they're not at the hanging. They may be at the canal, with Mister Stewart or the pub," Margaret added, trying to think of where the men would be. "Now, hurry!"

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM

"Yes, ma'am."

Iona nodded and rushed to find the two Williams. She was tall and lean and well built for a young girl, so her legs carried her quickly. She decided that she'd with Mister Stewart, first, hoping for the sake of her father and Hare that they were taking care of business like responsible men.

She rushed into Irvine Stewart's office, not even panting and gave a quick respectful nod of her head. "Sir, I'm sorry to be a bother but have you seen my father or Mr. Hare?"

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Irvine looked up, slightly peeved that someone had just barged in. He recognised the girl. At first he couldn't place her, but at the mention of that rat Hare, he realised who she was.

"Ah, Iona Burke? I've not seen your father, no. However I have seen Hare. I was speaking to him not half an hour ago. He was rushing off down Princes Street. I'd suggest you look in that wretched drinking hole. Though it's no place for a young lassie, so do take care," he said. He knew the sort of men that lurked in that dive. However, it was not his duty to protect another man's kin.

"Shut the door on your way out," he said, dismissing her.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Iona gave a sheepish smile and nodded again. "Thank you kindly, sir. Sorry to have bothered you." She made sure to leave with less of a ruckus, closing the door softly and slowly so that the locking mechanism barely made a noise and than Iona rushed down Princes' street towards the pub.

She entered quickly, and blinked a few times to adjust her eyes to the sudden darkness of the inside room. Immediately, Iona heard her father's boisterous laugh and Hare's voice. Shoving past a few patrons, Iona struggled to the counter and grabbed her father's arm. "Come quick," Iona cried, panicked. "Da, oh please come quick!"

The paternal instincts that weren't entirely dead must have jump started at the sound of hearing the panic in his only child's voice because Burke immediately grabbed his girl's shoulders tightly and looked at her concerned. "What's wrong, girl? Has something happened to Margaret?"

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Hare whipped around when he saw Iona run into the pub. She was a pretty young thing, the sort of girl that the men in this place would love to get a hold of. The panic in her voice hit him in the gut like a punch. When Burke mentioned that something may be wrong with Margaret, he didn't even collect his change off the bar before he threw himself off his stool and pushed past people to the door.

He jogged quickly through the town, down side streets to get home quickly with as littler interaction as possible. Within five minutes he was in Tanner's Close. He ran in the front door.

"Maggie!" he shouted. "Maggie, where are you?!"

Margaret came out of the kitchen, her face pale.

"Oh, Willie!" she screamed and fell into his arms. "It's Sargent! He's dead, Willie!"

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Burke grabbed his little girl, gripping her hand tightly as he ran from the pub. He glared at some men who were staring, sending the dangerous warning message that only fathers were capable of that his child was not to be touched. They reached the house not two minutes after Hare, both shaking with nerves.

"Dead?" Burke said, his brow furrowing. "The ol' coot was fine just last night!" Burke didn't notice but he still clutched his daughter's hand and Iona stared up at her father with admiration and wonder. She loved him and was pleased to be, for just a moment, a concern to him.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 04:22 PM

"We can't afford a coroner, let alone a proper burial," Margaret said, her voice shrill. "I need you to sort it out. I can't be dealing with this. I can't be expected to do everything 'round here as well as sorting out a funeral from nothing!"

"Don't worry, me and Burke 'ill get it sorted," Hare said simply, rubbing his wife's shoulders softly. "We'll put him in a barrel and leave him, he can be someone else's problem."

"Willie!" Margaret screeched. "Ya cannie do that! He's a war hero! He deserves more than this!"

"Right, you lassie's get into the kitchen, and we'll stay and sort this."

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 PM

"Go on now, git," Burke said, not harshly, to his child as he pushed her towards the door. Iona went hesitantly, not ready to be pushed aside and out of her father's affection so soon, but she finally gave and left the room obediently.

Sighing, he took his hat from his head and ran his hands through his hair. "So what now?" Burke asked.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Hare took his hat off and tossed it aside, somehow feeling he would think better without it.

"I don't know," he said simply. "What a day this is turning into."

He sank down into the nearby chair and placed his head in his hands.

"Tonight, we could always take him to the graveyard? See if there's any empty holes we can put him in..." Hare replied weakly. Though he knew all too well that being in a graveyard at night was punishable by law due to the increase on grave-robbery.

Grave-robbery... People would steal corpses from the grave yards and sell them to the medical schools for quick cash. Perhaps, not every body had to be one plucked from the ground. Doctor Knox of Edinburgh University often used cadavers for teaching. Perhaps, he'd be interested in taking the Sargent off of their hands?

"Burke, my man, I do believe I have an idea..." he said with a smile.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 PM

"What?" Burke asked, confused. "Are we just gonna leave the man's body in the graveyard?" He wasn't quite sure what Hare was thinking. Hare was usually the one to come up with good plans, but this didn't seem like the best thought out. At the same time, it didn't seem like there were many other options.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM

"No, no, no. I have a much better idea," Hare said, a glint in is eye. "What do we need more than anything? Money. How can two likely lads with a dead body make some quick and easy money? Selling the body! We could sell Sargent to the uni! That Knox fellow will pay out the arse for a fresh cadaver!"

Hare grabbed a sheet off the bed and proceeded to wrap it around Sargent, before scooping up his body and placing him into the empty barrel that was in the corner of the room.

"Come, help me get him shifted," Hare said, shunting the barrel along the floor. The wood making a screeching noise on the flagstone.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Burke's eyes glimmered at the idea and rushed to assist his friend. "Brilliant," he said, grabbing the barrel to help Hare move it. "Isn't it too bad that we haven't got more dead bodies to sell to the uni?" Of course, the suggestion was merely a joke.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Hare contemplated the idea of more bodies as the pair moved the barrel out of the house. They lifted the barrel into a cart, which Hare promptly began to wheel in the direction of the town. They had to attract as little attention to themselves as possible, others may not be so understanding. Especially those of a legal nature.

"You know," Hare said. "It's not too bad an idea. Perhaps, we could sell a few more stiffs. Other people graverob. Why can't we?"

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 PM

"Grave robbin's a hanging offense," Burke murmured. "It could get risky for us and I don't know if that would be best for us." But the idea of getting more bodies was now swarming through Burke's mind, too. They needed the money, and the uni needed bodies. No one else needed the corpses; people buried them to be rid of them. It was definitely worth the risk of being caught...

"Alright, when should we go?" he asked softly.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM

"Tomorrow," Hare replied softly. "We don't want to be seen going to see that Knox fellow with a cart and leaving empty, then heading to the grave yard. People are a little smarter than that. 'Specially that lout of a man, Stewart. He's looking for an excuse to ship me to the gallows."

The pair walked up the Royal Mile and along the cobbled streets before turning down to go to the university. They went to the front gates, which they saw were locked.

"Bugger," Hare said. He began to rattle the locks loudly on the bars. "Hey! Anyone about?"

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Iona sat under the window, listening to her father and Hare discuss their plans. She felt a twisting sickness growing in her belly and wasn't sure what to do with this information. A part of her wanted to run crying to Margaret and tell her everything she had heard, but she worried that Margaret might believe she was lying and strike her.

Burke held tightly to the barrel as they stood at the gates, his nerves on edge.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM

A young woman came out to the gates to see what the commotion was. She had light brown hair and piercing blue eyes that one could notice straight away. She surveyed the men beadily, glancing from one to the other and then at the cart.

"Yes?" she said slowly.

"Hello, dear. My name is William Hare, and this is my associate, William Burke. We're hear to see Doctor Knox."

"Doctor Knox is busy. I'm afraid that you'll have to return tomorrow when the university is open."

"Ah, lass, you don't understand. He's expecting us."

"He is?" she asked in shock.

"Yes. Of course."

"Why did you not go round to the entrance near the medical rooms?"

"We weren't aware there was one. Now, please let us in."

The girl reached into the pocket of her dress and took out a large metal key. She opened the gates and let the men through.

"Follow me," she said. "And watch that cart on the tiles, will you?"