Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Oh, of course, passing up a good book because it's not pretty would be silly! What I mostly meant was buying pretty copies of books you like, or pretty copies of books you're not even interested in reading.

On that note, I recently acquired some very old hardcover books, most of them made before the 1950s. They're very cool looking, but because of their age, I don't think I should read them - I don't think they can handle being read at this point. Just flipping through them, the binding is very weak and I think pages might start falling out if I read them. But they look so nice on my bookcase.

redrabbit
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 PM

I like worn-out books, with doodles and notes in the margins from bygone readers. It feels more personal.

As for decoration... I own maybe 15 copies of Alice in Wonderland, all with different illustrations or some hardcover or some ancient and old and so on. I'm very proud of a copy I have from the 40's or so, with a picture of the actual Alice Liddell printed inside. I know it's excessive, but aren't all collections a bit?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 AM

Oooh! I'd really like to look through your collection. I love illustrated Alice in Wonderlands. I used to have a really nice big copy, but I can't find it! I've been so bummed about that.

redrabbit
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2010, 09:16 AM

heheh. I kind of anticipate the day when, like all books, they'll go out of print and the illustrations will be lost. Then I can scan them all and they'll be onlines for everyone. Also worth a buttload of money which is always nice, hehehe. There was a huge illustrated Alice in Wonderland I saw awhile ago that included illustrations from all these old versions that were out of print.

I love seeing how the characters are interpreted, especially the Cheshire Cat and Caterpillar. that's usually what will make me choose to buy it or not, how well I think the Cheshire Cat is drawn. If they don't even illustrate that scene, then nevermind. :3

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-25-2010, 05:20 AM

Understandable, but on the other hand, then it'll be harder for other people to get copies of them. :(

That's interesting! I generally just judge on the art style overall. Although I currently still only have the one copy - if I can ever find it. But I like to oogle whenever I see a copy online. :)